PDA

View Full Version : To use Magical Express or NOT?

Princess'Mom
03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Ok - Intercot Posters - I need your honest opinion. In the past, we have always driven to WDW. This year, I'm thinking of using ME. What are your thoughts/experiences with using ME? Is it better to use ME during morning hours vs. evening hours, what is the average time it took for your bags to arrive in your room?

thanks!

SingingPixie
03-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I've had good experiences with ME both times I used it. The first time we arrived early (9am-ish) and the second time I think at about lunchtime. Both times we headed out to the parks and our bags were in the room when we got back, but in both case this was several hours later (the bags may have been much quicker, but we weren't there to see them arrive).

As long as you pack a carry-on with what you'll need the first few hours, I'd say give ME a go. It worked exactly as advertised for us.

Belster
03-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I love ME. Very well organized!!! I never have them take my bags because I don't want to wait for them. I just do not put the yellow tags on my luggage and I claim it myslef. DH gets the luggage while I stand in line with the kids for ME works like a charm. As long as this is offered as a free service I will continue to use it.

Tick-Tock
03-23-2009, 01:09 PM
We have enjoyed the savings with DME, but you may have to wait awhile, depending on their bus loading schedule. Plus you may have to stop at other resorts before you get to yours. We have taken DME when it's almost as fast as having our own transport (walked right on, bus left quickly, we were the first stop), and we've taken it when we waited for 15 minutes to get on a bus, then waited another 15-20 minutes for that bus to leave, then stopped at two resorts before getting to ours.

We always travel with carry-ons, so I don't have any experiences with the luggage delivery.

divinedi
03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm with the posters here, I like ME and have had no problems with them:thumbsup:. We did have once that our luggage arrived at about 4 am, and they came and brought it to the room then too:(, there was a problem at the airport, don't know if the problem was Disney or the airport. Since then we have always just picked up our own luggage, as Belster suggested, we like to have it right away so we can unpack and just get that out of the way, but if you don't mind waiting for a bit, have them pick it up. Various wait times, sometimes we got to the resort very quickly, others a bit of a wait, but never annoyingly long. Saves money and hassle-free.

SBETigg
03-23-2009, 01:54 PM
I've also enjoyed ME. I've used it twice, both times after an 11:30 am landing. My bags have made it to my room within three hours of landing the first time, and within five hours the second time. The last time I took DME, it took about an hour to get through the queue at the airport and get on a bus, which was a little frustrating but still worth it as long as you factor in the potential wait time.

Next trip, though, our time is short and we're doing some things differently. We've booked a ride through Quicksilver instead of using DME. I still very much recommend DME, though.

DisneyFr33k
03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
The only problem I can see if you collect your own luggage is if your room isn't ready., We've always arrived between 9-10 a.m. and 2 of the 4 times our room wasn't ready. We had to leave all but the one backpack we were taking to the park at the luggage check in.

Tinkerfreak
03-23-2009, 02:17 PM
We did ME for the first time on our last trip in Nov. We usually hire a car servie. I will list the things I liked and did not like.

Did not like:
-waiting on the bus for 30 minutes maybe more before it left the airport.
-stopping 3 or 4 times before we got to our stop. It was a pain waiting for people to get off at each resort and then they had to collect the luggage from underneath that people had stored there.
-The spoiled rotten kid on the way there who kept running around on the bus (while it was moving) and running in and out of the bathroom. His Dad did nothing but keep telling him to sit down then threaten him when he didn't then ignore it and start all over again.
They were sitting right behind us so we could not even hear the movie.

Did like:
Not having to pick up our luggage
The movie on the way there was cute.
The money we saved.

We are still not sure if we will use it again for our next trip. We might just give Quicksiver a try because we like having our luggage when we get to the resort and we like going right to the resort.

Gregandmel
03-23-2009, 02:31 PM
We went on our very first WDW trip back in October 2008 and stayed at the WL. I originally had Quicksilver set to pick us up at the airport and bypass ME because I was afraid of the "unknown" with this service. We got to MCO around 11am, went downstairs and saw this HORRENDOUS line of people waiting to check in with the ME people. My heart sunk - BUT - the line moved quickly and we were ready to stand in line to board our bus within about 15 minutes. We waited on the bus about 10-15 minutes before we pulled out, and stopped at the Poly, and GF before heading to WL. I thought the service was very smooth and we'll be doing it again next trip. We checked in to the WL, had lunch, went swimming and our bags were in our room by 3pm (or before - but that's what time we got to the room). Like others have said, just pack stuff in your carry-on and you should be fine. I"m sure hang-ups occur, but they are probably few & far between. I would recommend using this service. It really added to the "Magical Experience" for us.

yourmagicalguide
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
I can definitely give you my honest opinion since my DH and I used ME for the first time on our trip two weeks ago :D

Our experience using ME was actually pretty good. We never had to wait longer than 20 minutes for a bus, we only had to stand to ride once, and a majority of the bus drivers made the ride entertaining - especially in the morning on your way to a park.

The only downside was having to wait for people to fold up strollers before getting on, waiting for people needing extra assistance (wheel chairs/scooters), and walking to the bus stop to go back to the resort at Epcot (LOOOONG walk after a long day). So long as you and yours can be patient, the good will definitely outweigh the bad of using ME.

As far as best time to use ME - depends, but usually the morning is better. Even if you're waiting for a bus at the end of the day with a huge crowd, changes are that a second bus will be on it's way very soon.

We were warned that our bags may not come up to 3 hours after check-in. Well, they were spot-on, because our luggage arrived almost exactly 3 hours later. It wasn't a big deal, though, because we planned ahead and had what we needed in our carry-ons.

Hope this helps :mickey:

Beast_fanatic
03-23-2009, 02:38 PM
I can definitely give you my honest opinion since my DH and I used ME for the first time on our trip two weeks ago :D

Our experience using ME was actually pretty good. We never had to wait longer than 20 minutes for a bus, we only had to stand to ride once, and a majority of the bus drivers made the ride entertaining - especially in the morning on your way to a park.

The only downside was having to wait for people to fold up strollers before getting on, waiting for people needing extra assistance (wheel chairs/scooters), and walking to the bus stop to go back to the resort at Epcot (LOOOONG walk after a long day). So long as you and yours can be patient, the good will definitely outweigh the bad of using ME.

As far as best time to use ME - depends, but usually the morning is better. Even if you're waiting for a bus at the end of the day with a huge crowd, changes are that a second bus will be on it's way very soon.

We were warned that our bags may not come up to 3 hours after check-in. Well, they were spot-on, because our luggage arrived almost exactly 3 hours later. It wasn't a big deal, though, because we planned ahead and had what we needed in our carry-ons.

Hope this helps :mickey:

Just wanted to clarify that this post is not describing Magical Express which is the bus service to and from the airport, but rather Disney Transportation (on property bus service).

Nini5055
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
This will be my 3rd time using Magical Express. I love that I don't have to worry about paying for transportation. What's not to love!!! :cloud9:

The time I did check a bag, the bag was delivered by 3pm that afternoon. Last trip was carryons so no issue there and our trip in May will be with carryons. :thumbsup:

spoonful of sugar
03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
We are still not sure if we will use it again for our next trip. We might just give Quicksiver a try because we like having our luggage when we get to the resort and we like going right to the resort.

quicksilver rocks!! the convenience alone is worth it. i have used me for 4 trips, but our last trip we used quicksilver. never again using me plus with quicksilver you get a free 30 minute grocery stop on your way to your resort and the times i used me i always said on my way to our resort "i wish this bus could just make a stop at that hess". quicksilver also has awesome, super friendly drivers which makes the ride to your resort so much more pleasant than being packed on a bus with a bunch of people stopping at other resorts on your way. when i get off that plane i just want to get to my resort. quicksilver also waits with you and gets your luggage, such a help.

Soul_Power
03-23-2009, 09:32 PM
I think ME is genius, and I only wish that all vacation destinations would offer this service. We used it for our first trip and had a great experience - no complaints whatsoever. It is completely hassle-free and convenient, and I highly recommend it! :thumbsup:
We arrived at POP late morning/early afternoon and our room wasn't ready yet. We went to DTD to eat, and when we got back a few hours later, our room and luggage were waiting for us.

Jeri Lynn
03-26-2009, 06:29 AM
I have never had a problem with ME, I do not use them to transfer my luggage however because I usually fly Southwest so I take my luggage with me to the bus.

I have found that sometimes the line at the ME counter can be long and if that is long then the wait for boarding the bus can be long also. On my last trip I waited in line about 25 minutes and then about another 20 to board the bus and then it took about 30-40 minutes to make it to the hotel.

On my girls trip this year we are going to get a town car one way...it will cost us each 20 dollars but the car will be there waiting for us to get us to the hotel and then we will take the ME back to the airport at the end of our vacation.

kakn7294
03-26-2009, 08:38 AM
We've used DME twice and will continue to use it any time we fly. It's great to have someone else do the driving - and for FREE so I have more money to actually spend in the parks. We've never had any problems with the service. The only thing I don't like is that they pick you up 3 hrs before your return flight (always gives us waaaaay too much time at the airport but still better than scrambling to meet a flight) and the video they play on the return trip always makes me sad. I'd rather they just didn't play anything!

scootch713
03-26-2009, 11:07 AM
I love taking it from the airport to the resort, it is so nice not messing with bags and just getting on the bus. They have a dozen people at the counter so the line moves super fast.

Now taking it back... the 3 hour before flight is just too much for us. Then you get picked up and have to stop at several other resorts... so my kids end up on the bus about an hour... too long for me. We usually arrange a towncar to pick us up 2 hours before. Then just straight to the airport and another hour in the parks, worth it for me as I take my 2 girls by myself.

dixielandings
03-26-2009, 01:43 PM
IMO, anything free is worth it as long as the add inconvenience is not TOO inconvenient. We know what to expect with ME and so plan accordingly. We know we're probably going to be on the bus for a while - we don't like it but at least we're prepared for it.

I agree that the return trip is less enjoyable but it's still free. We've often ended taking a cab to the airport just so we didn't have to get to the airport so early.

All in all, we'll continue to use the service b/c it's there and there's plenty of spending going on already!

pianobabe
03-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Of the last eleven trips I have taken to WDW, I have flown down for nine of them. I have used ME ever since it became available and I have loved it. It is very easy to use. We typically try to take an early morning flight. The line for check-in last year looked like it was going to go on forever. I was surprised with how fast it actually was. We did not wait very long for our bus at all. That was also surprising considering how many people were in the check-in line. The ride was smooth and we always enjoy the video. It was nice to not have to bother with traffic and tolls. Last year we checked into our hotel and were in line for a bus to DTD within about an hour (we landed about 9:15 and were in line for DTD by 10:30). By the time we got back to our room, our luggage was there and we had a great relaxing start to our vacation.
Having to leave 3 hours before your flight takes off isn't the greatest in the world. We have only really had a problem with the pick up once and then I was very glad we had 3 hours. The gentleman who came to pick us up was just a little late. He got everyone's luggage loaded and we were on our way. He got lost. Once he got situated and was heading towards the airport, he got a call on the radio from dispatch trying to find out where he was and why had he not made his last stop. DH and I were sitting in the row diagonally from him and we could hear the conversation. We had to turn around again and head to Animal Kingdom Lodge to pick up everyone there. The driver was very upset with himself. I felt so bad for him. After that experience, I try not to get too upset about having to leave three hours early. The video they show going back to the airport is good, but it does make me sad.

yourmagicalguide
03-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Just wanted to clarify that this post is not describing Magical Express which is the bus service to and from the airport, but rather Disney Transportation (on property bus service).

Geeez! Whoops :blush: Thanks for clearing that up. Just goes to show reading questions more carefully before posting can be beneficial :D

Although I did basically explain Disney Transportation, I did explain my experience with Magical Express in terms of when my bags were delivered, so I don't want that overlooked since it was included in what you quoted as being misdirected.

To answer the question after FULLY reading it, I can say that ME was a pleasant experience. I didn't have to wait very long at the airport for a bus - maybe 20 minutes at most. The video shown on the way to the resort was cute and made time pass by quickly. My resort, CBR, was the first stop, so I didn't have the experience of stopping at other resorts and waiting, but it actually wouldn't have bothered me to see a few other resorts.

The day before my departure, a letter was hanging on my door explaining check-out and when ME would arrive the next morning to pick up. No problems there :thumbsup: Only had to wait 15 minutes for ME after check-out. Apparently CBR was the last stop on the way to MCO, so, again, no other stops. I really enjoyed the video on the way to the airport (like the last glimpse of Disney magic), and the bus driver was good at clearly announcing where we were stopping and such so there wouldn't be any confusion.

Overall, a good experience I would happily do all over again :mickey:

CleveRocks
03-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I have never had a problem with ME, I do not use them to transfer my luggage however because I usually fly Southwest so I take my luggage with me to the bus.Unfortunately, you've misunderstood how DME works. Upon arrival in Orlando, EVERYONE on EVERY AIRLINE gets the full DME service, which includes the automatic luggage delivery.

NO ONE has to handle their own bags if they don't want to, on arrival day.

CleveRocks
03-26-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm a H-U-G-E fan of Disney's Magical Express.

I've used it 3 times. The first time was on its 4th day of existence (May 8, 2005). I also used it in November 2006 and last month.

All 3 times were perfect.

I timed it each time, from airplane exit to resort drop-off. The times, in minutes, were 63, 56 and 57.

It's very cool to totally skip baggage claim.

On average, whether you take a car service, rent a car or take DME, you'll get to your resort in about the same amount of time. But if you chosose to do a 30-minute grocery stop with a car service (which means you also need to sit and wait at baggage claim), that will definitely take longer than DME would.

Each time, I've arranged a grocery delivery. So I've gotten to my resort quicker than if I paid a lot of money for a car service and took my time to make a grocery stop in a strange store where I don't now where anything is.

I always advise people to make their choice based on the level of service they want and how much they are willing to pay for it, rather than on time (since time, on average, will be about the same). A car service is a private ride and you get personalized service from the driver. If those features are important to you, then the car service is worth every penny ... DME doesn't offer them.

DisneyorBust
03-27-2009, 07:45 AM
We are fans of DME also. Our times have been very similar to what CleveRocks has reported. We have utilized this service 5 times and are planning to use it again for our next trip!

BMan62
03-27-2009, 10:42 AM
OK, I am sure this question has been answered before, but I'm going to ask it anyway -- What happens if you miss your 'appointed time' for returning to the airport? What I mean is, if you are scheduled to be picked up at your resort and taken to the airport 'approximately 3 hours' prior to your flight, but do not make your time, can you just get the next ME bus back to the airport, or do you have to arrange other transportation back to the airport?

I have never wanted to push the issue while I was there and DW is always so afraid we'll be left behind that she makes sure we are back and waiting for our ME bus half an hour before our pick up time!!!

Beast_fanatic
03-27-2009, 12:36 PM
OK, I am sure this question has been answered before, but I'm going to ask it anyway -- What happens if you miss your 'appointed time' for returning to the airport? What I mean is, if you are scheduled to be picked up at your resort and taken to the airport 'approximately 3 hours' prior to your flight, but do not make your time, can you just get the next ME bus back to the airport, or do you have to arrange other transportation back to the airport?

I have never wanted to push the issue while I was there and DW is always so afraid we'll be left behind that she makes sure we are back and waiting for our ME bus half an hour before our pick up time!!!

Well, there is no guarantee that a bus will even come at the next time as they do not send a bus if no one is signed up for that time, so you very well could be forced to take a taxi back to the airport. Also, if the next bus is full, you could be refused access since you did not have a reservation on that bus. Or, if they did allow you on the bus, someone else that was supposed to be on that one could miss their bus because you took their spot(s). So, yes, the consequences can be drastic for not getting on the assigned bus.

DisneyWithoutTheSpin
03-27-2009, 12:56 PM
We have used ME several times, the most recent being February 2009. No complaints about the service. This last time we arrived at MCO around 10:30AM, there was a significant line for ME registration. Once regsitered we were on the bus within 15 min. Luggage has always arrived safely to the rooms. We just plan to carry-on anything we need for the day, and hit the parks ASAP. (Actually DTD that first afternoon). Make sure you ask the driver to turn on the video if the TVs are not on. Fun for all ages.

tdk316
03-27-2009, 02:00 PM
We've used ME several times, and will continue to use it, but we will ALWAYS get our bags from the plane and put them on the bus ourselves. We were burned twice by not doing this; the first year it was offered, and then the next year after we were assured that the kinks had been ironed out. Both times our luggage didn't get to our room until almost 24 hours after our flight landed and no, there was not a problem with the luggage at the airport, it was ME.

So while I'll recommend using the service, if you don't have a second set of clothes, all of your toiletries, and anything else you'd want within the next 24 hours with you in your carry-on, IMHO I'd strongly recommend retrieving your luggage yourself before boarding ME.

TiggerD
03-27-2009, 02:04 PM
We have used ME several times and the last time we only used it going home and not going down. We picked up our luggage at baggage and took it to the bus and got on and we had it with us when we arrived at the hotel and our room was ready, so we went and unpacked and had lunch and off to the parks. I liked it that way. Nothing wrong with using ME both ways either, it was just easier for us this last time and we will do it again in Septmeber.:mickey:

Tez
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
We have used both the ME and a car service. There are plus and minus to both.

ME - is free, well, I am sure we are paying for it someplace along the line. We never waited more than 20 minutes and our luggage arrived in a timely fashion. If I remember right there was some sort of snafu when we left the resort and got to the airport but if was a time when flights were backed up becasue of weather someplace on the east coast so it was kind of a mess. One thing also is that you don't just go directly to your resort, unless you are lucky so there is some time wasted there and also if there are a lot of you staying at the same resort and on the same bus the check in can be a bit of a mess but again we never really had problems with this.

Car service - Is not free but you are the only ones in the vehicle and they take you directly to your resort. They will also, some of the car serices, allow a grocery stop on the way to your resort to pick up a few things. This is great if you want to pick up a few things that you didn't want to ship or lug in your suitcase of your checked bag since we are now paying for each checked bag!

It also depends on what airport you are flying in and out of. In our case we get a better flight rate flying into Sanford and since ME does not offer a service there we either have to pay for a rental car or do the car service and in our mind way pay for a car rental when it will sit in the parking lot of a week!?

Love of Disney
03-27-2009, 05:41 PM
We used it last year and loved it!! We arrived in the morning so when we got back from the parks, are bags were waiting for us in our room. Going home, we left in the afternoon so we just took our bags to the bag check, relaxed by the pool and picked them up when the bus arrived. Things ran very smooth for us!!
:cool: