PDA

View Full Version : Tips for First-timers going over 4th of July Weekend!!! Help!!!

ldc12377
03-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Some friends of ours will be going to WDW for the first time June 30-July 6 and have asked me to help them plan their trip. They are taking there five-year old granddaughter with them. This is the first trip for all of them. They are staying at Saratoga. What are some tips for them since their trip will be over 4th of July weekend and it will be so busy because of the holiday? Grandma isn't really all that excited and I want them to have a good time because they have to go back at least two more times because they have two other granddaughters and have promised to bring them when they turn 5. I have never been during 4th of July but I can just imagine how busy it could be. I want to do all I can to help them with their first trip and help make to wonderful for them. HELP!!!

DakandZakMom
03-23-2009, 12:31 PM
We go every year during the 4th of July. I have to go at that time beacuse it is when my company closes down and so we get vacation that week.

Yes it is hot, :fan: but it is manageable. I would suggest getting to the parks when they open. :thumbsup: You can get a lot done in the first few hours. When it gets to be early afternoon go back to the hotel, swim, rest and then go back after dinnertime. Enjoy the parks at night.

Early EMH are the best, but try to avoid night EMH they are a zoo. We do not usually go to the parks on the 4th because they are very crowded. Instead we go to DTD or waterpark.

The last thing I can suggest is definately use Fastpass it can be a life saver.

They just need to go at their own pace and have fun. After all it is Disney:mickey:

GrumpyFan
03-23-2009, 12:42 PM
DakandZakMom had some great suggestions. I would add the following:

Begin to set their expectations now, it WILL be crowded, and it WILL be hot! But, even though it is, they can still enjoy it. They will need to pace themselves and try not to do "everything", as we all know it's impossible.
Plan now, and get ready to make ADRs as soon as the window of availability hits.

SteveL
03-23-2009, 12:45 PM
The best advice I can offer is to avoid MK on July 4th.

Tygger7
03-23-2009, 01:08 PM
The previous posters have hit the nail on the head. I just wanted to add that the parks will usually close due to capacity on the 4th. MK & Epcot seem to be the worst because they have special fireworks shows.

Take lots of breaks and be sure to drink lots of water & sports drinks to rehydrate.

Good luck! :D

mudpuppysmom
03-23-2009, 02:49 PM
The best advice I can offer is to avoid MK on July 4th.

That is immediately what I thought when I read the title of the post.

We were there in 2001 (I was pregnant) and I swore I would NEVER go over the 4th again!

Yes, it is hot and YES YES YES it is crowded......I think it is just too darn crowded, so maybe that day take it easy and if you really want to see the MK fireworks do a dinner at either GF, POLY or WL and sit on the beach to watch the fireworks.....it might still be crowded, but I can't imagine it would be worse than the park itself (but I could be wrong on that one too).

Take it easy and slow and everyone will be a much happier camper.

ldc12377
03-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone!! I really want to help them have a magical first trip.
After reading some of the post, I have another question. I didn't know that they had a special fireworks display at MK or Epcot for the 4th but I guess I should have known that there would be something extra. If my friends decide to avoid the parks on that day, will they be allowed to go to the Poly or GF beach, or to the Contemp. to watch the fireworks? I thought I would stress that suggestion a lot if they will be allowed to do that and asked to leave because they aren't guest at those resorts.

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
03-23-2009, 11:36 PM
:mickey: We have done the 4th several times. The MK, on the 4th, is about as crowded as you would ever see it, wall to wall people. However....the fireworks are beyond amazing. We now do not go to MK on the 4th - but we do go to Epcot. They have additional fireworks that are every bit as amazing as the MK and Epcot never seems as crowded. They are 2 very different displays, both wonderful. For first timers I think the Epcot situation would be much less stressful.
In answer to the question about watching from Poly. We heard that they sometimes do check for resort ID on the evening of the 4th on the beach at Poly. Don't know if this is every year or not. We have stayed at the Poly and watched the normal fireworks from the beach and never noticed any checking of ID, but perhaps the 4th is different.

DizneyRox
03-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Please don't underestimate the heat. Other's have said it, but it seems to always go by in passing. You're talking high 90's and 100% humidity. EVERYDAY! I'm usually sweating on the way to the car/bus in the moring.

You mention grandma, take precautions.

Epcot would certainly be my choice for a park, lot's of cool places to stay out of the heat and the thunderstorms. Rain comes usually between 1pm and 3pm.

ldc12377
03-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Please don't underestimate the heat. Other's have said it, but it seems to always go by in passing. You're talking high 90's and 100% humidity. EVERYDAY! I'm usually sweating on the way to the car/bus in the moring.

You mention grandma, take precautions.

Epcot would certainly be my choice for a park, lot's of cool places to stay out of the heat and the thunderstorms. Rain comes usually between 1pm and 3pm.

Thank you for your concern but I guess I should have clarified that a little. This "grandma" is a young grandma. I would never underestimate the Florida heat in July but they are used to vacationing in Florida during 4th of July just not at WDW...usually at the beach