PDA

View Full Version : Pop Century Hints?

SingingPixie
03-22-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm staying at Pop with my boyfriend in October. I've been there once before, but that trip was very busy- we were pretty much gone from 7:30am-late every night. This trip should be a bit more laid back, so I'm looking for hints of things to do/notice around the resort. What are your favorite things at Pop for adults?

I realize that lots of people stay at mods or deluxes when they plan to spend more time at the resort, but after running the numbers we want to keep this a budget trip, with our "splurges" being a few nice dinners and the halloween party.

AmandaChan
03-22-2009, 03:06 PM
There really isn't a whole lot to do at Pop other than sleep, eat and swim. There is a bar next to the pool which was fun to stop at a few times. Value resorts really don't offer any recreational activities. If you're really wanting to spend more time at the resort and have more things to do there I would recommend staying at a moderate. We're staying at POFQ this year and I think it will be a nice change. But if the numbers don't allow it then I guess it will have to do!

PirateLover
03-22-2009, 03:14 PM
The arcade is great, even for adults! There are classics like Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga along with newer games. We had fun there. I heard that they took out the bar that was inside Classic Hall butThe pool bar is nice... it's also fun to go around and take pictures with the icons.

catne
03-22-2009, 03:53 PM
walking by the lake is nice, especially in the early morning or evening when it's cooler.

Check out all the nostalgic stuff in the main building -- pictures & such on the walls full of memories!

Agree that arcade is fun for kids & adults. Gift shop is fun, too, just to look at stuff.

Wandering all over the resort getting pictures with all the giant icons is a hoot, too. We got a great one posing DH by Goofy fountain/convertible car.

ASweetLov
03-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Look at the stuff in the lobby, it brings back tons of memories. Go around the resort and take pictures with the giant icons thats lots of fun. Visit the arcade. I love Pop!

kakn7294
03-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Pop has a lot of great stuff to look at in the lobby, walking around looking at the theming is fun, and walking around the lake is relaxing. The food court is awesome - I think the best on property. The pools are nice - no slides though. There's a kiddie splash zone with a real corvette (sigh - I want one). There's also a bunch of little things that make Pop special. Near the 70's section, there's a Twister board (imbedded into the ground) where you can really play Twister. We didn't receive any towel animals, but we got a Rubik's cube in our room with a little note from housekeeping. My girls thought it was great!

ShanPooh
03-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Do they still have the surrey bikes at POP?

ldc12377
03-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Do they still have the surrey bikes at POP?

No surrey bikes...sorry!!

My suggestion would be to take a walk along Memory Lane. The signs along the way for each year are really neat to read and the walk is very beautiful..especially in the morning.

MistressGracey999
03-23-2009, 09:08 AM
We always stay at Pop Century, and we have a blast every time! :thumbsup:

We like alot of "down time", too...here's some things that my DH, DS's and I do at Pop every year:

We love to walk the grounds, especially at night. It's fun to really LOOK at all the giant icons, and we enjoy strolling by the lake, and even seeing the "coming soon(???)", incomplete half of Pop on the other side of the lake.

We are gamers, so we love the arcade. The redemption games don't seem to be "fixed", as kids and adults were winning ticket "jackpots" every few minutes!

We love sitting by Petals, or grabbing an adult bev from Petals and relaxing by the pool, day or night.

Shopping in the gift shop is always fun, and is more hassle-free than shopping in the parks or at DTD as you can just take your stuff right back to your room.

As PPs have mentioned, the lobby artwork is worth a look.

Also, when we get bored at Pop, but don't want to leave Disney property or go to a park, we hop a Pop bus, and ride it to MK. Once at MK, we board the resort monorail and take a tour of the deluxe resorts on it's circuit, taking in a lunch, maybe, and checking out the pools. My DH calls it "seeing how the other half lives", LOL.

We always stay at Pop because we'd rather spend the extra dough on a day at a water park, or a couple extra special meals than on the room. We have toured and eaten at all the other resorts, and they are beautiful, but we never feel badly heading back to Pop at the end of the day. We have so much fun there, and I hope you guys will, too!

AdventurerKim
03-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Walk around and just look at everything and remininsce about past fads, toys, films, etc... We took a lot of pics when we first stayed there. It's such a fun resort just to see.

Belster
03-23-2009, 01:18 PM
We love Pop!!! Very fun resort. I would agree with pp that taking a walk at night is fun, all of the icons are lit up and you can get some great pics there. I love the food court!!!! I also love their shop!!!!

The lobby is a lot of fun too as you can see things from your past. As stated earlier the bus system at Pop is very organized so hop a bus and enjoy the other resorts as well.

We love Pop but unfortunatly our family of 5 was very squeezed in there in October. The only reason we are not staying there this time is becasuse of space.

Enjoy!!!

PrettyMinnie
03-23-2009, 03:16 PM
It's nice just to walk around the resort and enjoy the themeing. Of course there is swimming, arcade and shopping! Have fun!

sleepingbooty
03-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Reading all these posts makes me excited to stay there this spring!

Soul_Power
03-23-2009, 06:02 PM
My boyfriend and I love POP Century! Our first trip was so fast paced that we didn't even have enough time to walk around and take advantage of all that POP has to offer (one of my regrets).
When we go in December, we plan to spend more time at the resort by walking around the entire property and taking pictures with all of the awesome icons and signs that it has. On our first trip, we also had a lot of fun swimming, shopping in Everything POP, and spending time in the food court.
I looked at your profile and we're about the same age as you, so I'm sure you'll have fun just walking around taking pictures as well! :mickey:
It IS WDW after all - how can you NOT havce a good time?

JPL
03-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Afew simple tips to make your stay more enjoyable.

The preferred rooms are over rated you are much better off with a room facing Hourglass Lake. They are much quieter since people are often in the pool late at night. Don't be fooled by the distance to Everything Pop there are often shortcuts. For Example I stayed in the last building in the 90's and found a quick cut across the parking lot got to me to the buses and food court in no time at all. Take some time and look around as others have said there is alot of cool stuff around and lots of factoids about historic events.