PDA

View Full Version : Jiko's for families

mouseketeer mom
03-22-2009, 11:42 AM
So I had to think a little outside of the box for our April dining..The trip was a little last minute in Disney terms, so it was way past the 90 day ADR mark. Anyways..Very few of our first choices were available. Instead, I made an ADR for Jiko one evening. The kids saw the Disney special with Cat Cora and thought it would be fun to go there too. The kids at that point will be 15, 13 and 9. They've done signature dining before at WDW, Cali Grill, Narcoosees..how is Jiko compared to these places? Will we love it? I thought the menu sounded great! Whats the atmosphere like?

Aggie97
03-22-2009, 05:42 PM
We (two adults) loved Jiko. The food and wine were fabulous! We felt the atmosphere was nice and "special" but not at all stuffy; of course it isn't as unique as CA Grill or Narcoossee's (no fireworks or color-changing castle across the water! ;)). We saw a good mix of adult-only parties and parties with children. I imagine the kids would love viewing AKL's animal savannas before dinner, and afterward with night-vision goggles if the timing works out. Have a great time! :mickey:

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
03-24-2009, 04:27 PM
My husband and I dined there on our Honeymoon and we both very much enjoyed. We thought the food was great and the atmosphere is very nice and i agree with the post above not stuffy. There is a nice wine list for the adult in the party and I would recommend it.

jcvalenti
03-25-2009, 12:33 PM
We went to Jikos last summer for the first time, and the kids in our group enjoyed it immensely (and they were considerably younger.

The kids menu there is very good (especially the mac & cheese) and they LOVED making their own smores after dinner.

The atmosphere at AKL is great, and being able to go out on the patio and watch the animals on the savannah was a huge thrill for the kids.

As far as I am concerned, it was by far the best meal I've ever had at Disney. The Tanglewood Chicken was terrific, and as a wine drinker, their wine list (the largest South African wine list in the country, apparently) was fantastic.

LandFan
03-25-2009, 12:55 PM
We ate there last November with DNiece 12 and she thought it was the best meal she'd eaten all week and she loved the sunset atmosphere and the animals too.

Definitely a must-do again!!

mudpuppysmom
03-25-2009, 01:25 PM
We have been there serveral times as a family and also just DS#1 and I have gone (pre- DS#2).

This last trip we stayed at AKL with the intentions of having dinner and some wine then wandering around a bit on the way back to our room -- that was the "plan", but DS#2 was a bit uncooperative, so DH took him back to the room and I had our meal boxed up and we ate it on our balcony watching the animals! Talk about a front row seat!!

I can honestly say that in all the times we have been there I have never heard kids screaming or crying during our meal. We did have a VERY drunken man one time though. I think the surroundings much calm kids or they waft some kind of magic air in there to calm them down....something does it though!

If your kids have done signature meals before I think they will like the lodge and all it has to offer before, during and after their meals.

Have fun!:D

MinnieMommie
03-26-2009, 07:15 PM
I think JIKO is a nice place for families with children and agree with the OPs that JIKO is not "stuffy". It has a relaxed environment and the people who work there are accommodating and friendly. DH and I ate there with one of our grown children late January. There were many families with children earlier in the evening. Some went to the story telling first and then dinned. The night vision is a fun way to top off a great meal at JIKO. I would say JIKO is very "family friendly".