PDA

View Full Version : October weather- what to pack?

SingingPixie
03-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Is October usually still shorts and tank top weather? I know I should check weather reports before I go in case of anything unusual, but I wanted an idea of what to plan on packing.

If it makes a difference, I always have a hoodie in my bag because I get cold in the AC fairly quickly.

Belster
03-22-2009, 10:37 AM
First of all you have chosen in my po the best time of year...congratulations!!!! :woohoo:

2008 was our first time to the world during October and we will NEVER go at any other time.

Morning: A bit cool but still in shorts/guacho pants and a hoodie.

Midmorning-the hoodie comes off for the day. It was still a bit humid and warm very pleasant.

Afternoon-Even though it was hot in direct sulight it is NOT grueling. Our spray fans never came out of our room.

Night- Pretty much the same as morning. Sometimes I swtched to pants for the night and a log sleeve shirt. Sometimes I wore my shorts and hoodie.

The only downfall to this time of year is that you will have a bit more in you suitcases because the weather changes throughout the day. Believe me this is all worth it. You will LOVE October!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mickey:

SingingPixie
03-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks! I'm really excited for October weather, F&WF and MNSSHP! My last trips were in January (a bit chilly) and August (sweltering, but we knew what we were getting into- Mom's a teacher so there was little choice), so October seems like the happy medium.

Did you think tank tops were ok, or should I plan more t-shirts? I have so many tank tops left from my last trip that I wouldn't have to buy anything new, but if it's more like t-shirt weather I may have to increase my stock, since most of mine were bought in early college and are starting to fall apart.

Belster
03-22-2009, 10:59 AM
I am sorry I forgot to mention tanks...lol. Yes, I wore tanks and short sleeves. I would just make sure that you always have a light hoodie just in case you get cold. As you stated the air is still on in October and it could be a bit chilly. If you go on water rides you may get a slight chill. I would get a few t-shirts to pack. I only packed 1 pair of jeans.

Polynesian Dweller
03-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Although we have gone at other times, we have gone mostly in October for the last 19 years. The weather is usually ideal, not too hot in the afternoon and comfortable in the mornings and evening. We've rarely had to wear jackets, hoodies or anything warm, though it can happen. Summer casual is how we'd describe it.

Being from the north, we always leave when its a bit cool (cold?) in Ontario so we have a jacket and a change of warm clothes and that gets us through if it happens to be an odd year with some cooler days there, but that doens't happen much.

SingingPixie
03-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I hate to fly in shorts, so I'll definitely at least have one pair of jeans for the travel days, and may pack one more pair just in case.

On the evenings that we have nicer dinners (Jiko, California Grill, Artist Point) I plan to wear sundresses with a light cardigan over them- am I likely to be cold, or comfortable?

DisneyFr33k
03-22-2009, 11:59 AM
I have to agree with what's been posted above. We've traveled 3 times in October and have found it can get hot at times and then it will have beautiful low humidity days as well. We, too, leave from a colder area and wear the only pair of pants and jacket so it saves space in the luggage. We wear shorts under our pants (athletic type) and peel them off upon arriving in Orlando. I think shorts, t-shirts, tanks etc are fine with a hoodie or jacket on hand - although it will be tied around your waist or in your backpack the majority of the day.

And, I agree, we LOVE October for the F&WF :wine::eat: We use the snack credits from the dining plan to eat at the food kiosks - makes a great lunch!

Have fun!

Strmchsr
03-22-2009, 01:13 PM
I would suggest you check our historic weather conditions page in Info Central as well. You can see exact data for your dates for the last 5 years, which will give a good overview as to what you can expect.

Aggie97
03-22-2009, 05:27 PM
We visited WDW the last week of October 2008 and loved it! The weather was absolutely gorgeous but extremely varied.

At the beginning of the trip, we wore shorts and short-sleeved shirts during the day and long-sleeved T-shirts or lightweight jackets in the evenings. By the middle of the trip, we were wearing long-sleeved shirts and jeans during the day; at MNSSHP we each were layered in two long-sleeved T-shirts and heavy hooded sweatshirts and were still freezing! At the end of the trip, we were back in short sleeves and shorts/capris during the day.

I packed mostly short-sleeved shirts, shorts, and capris; a few long-sleeved T-shirts; a heavy hooded sweatshirt; two pairs of jeans; dressy 3/4-sleeved tops to wear with jeans or capris for "signature" dinners; and a lightweight jacket/hoodie. We did not do laundry and were easily able to re-wear the cool-weather clothing. :thumbsup:

As a frame of reference, we live in GA now but lived in Cleveland and other northern cities prior to this, and we love cold weather.

Have a great time! :mickey:

Disney Doll
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
We visited in mid October last year and it was warm enough for shorts and tanks. DH (who doesn't even own a pair of shorts) wore pants and short sleeves, but was still comfortable. It's warm, but not unbearably hot. We loved Oct. weather.

joonyer
03-23-2009, 01:10 PM
October is the best time of year to visit WDW, weather-wise. warm enough to swim and enjoy water rides, not so blistering, stifling hot. Crowds are very manageable too. Have fun! :thumbsup:

Tinkerfreak
03-23-2009, 02:24 PM
October is the best time of year to visit WDW, weather-wise. warm enough to swim and enjoy water rides, not so blistering, stifling hot. Crowds are very manageable too. Have fun! :thumbsup:

I agree it is the best time to go. We have been several different times of year and always love to go for Halloween. Unfortunately we can no longer go at that time because we can't take DD out of school anymore. So we are going for Thanksgiving. As much as we have been spoiled with the lower crowds around Halloween we are happy just to be going at all.
I agree pack for all temps. One day can be 85 and the next can be 65.

epceddie
03-23-2009, 04:28 PM
You're going to love October!
My wife and I honeymooned at Saratoga Springs and the weather was fantastic.
We had tickets for MNSSHP on Tuesday and we liked it so much that we brought tickets the following Thursday.
I love the opening of the parade when the Headless Horseman rides down Main Street USA.
We were able to get seats on the second floor of the railroad station for the parade and the fireworks. It ws incredible watching the parade come down Main Street with the Castle in the background all lit up.
We also had a blast riding the Haunted Mansion at night. The atmosphere was great and we rode three times in a row with no wait at all.
Congrats on your decision to go in October. It's one of the best times to visit. Have a great time!
PS: Try to get a reservation for a haunted carriage ride at Fort Wilderness. They play "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" as you wind through the woods and there's a big surprise at the end.

AllDisney
03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
We have been in October before & loved it. The weather was warm enough for shorts & T-shirts, and the evenings cool enough for jackets. We did bring jeans and they came in handy as well.

I would go back this time of year in a heart beat:cloud9: