PDA

View Full Version : Flying Fish Review

Turtle Dude
03-22-2009, 05:31 AM
Hi all. I wanted to pass along an incident from last week. Our family just returned from a great week at WDW and it was an awesome first experience for all of us. We stayed at All Star Movies and enjoyed the atmosphere, especially our six year old. The parks were typically a 9-to-10 day making for a brief stay in our rooms (fell asleep almost instantly). Finally convinced the little one to ride the "big, fast and scary" rides the last day so we all got our ride thrills at Magic Kingdom. Disney employees were sincere, nice and helpful in all these endeavors. Our stay was top-rate and I recommend it to everyone.

We had the "regular" dining plan. On Monday we had great time at Chef Mickey's, Tuesday at the Coral Reef Restaurant and Wednesday we had another character meal at Donald's Safari Breakfast. We had nothing but excellent food and pretty good service. Our son could not have been happier at the character meals and that made Mom and Dad's day. Then came the meal set aside mostly for my wife. Since I planned the trip I thought it was only fair that she be treated like a princess for one meal. We had dinner reservations at the Flying Fish restaurant at The Boardwalk.

We arrived early for our 6:00 reservation, but I decided to check in with the Matride'. The first thing he asked was if we, "planned to stay at The Boardwalk"? I politely stated, "No". He asked if this was our first visit to Flying Fish (yes)? His next question was if we were on the meal plan? When I told him we were he asked if we had the, "deluxe" plan (no)? Then he asked if we knew this was a, "2 table service meal"? I said yes and thought nothing of this line of questioning.

We were the fifth table seated in the entire restaurant and it was not busy at the time. I know I am stating the obvious, but most of the tables were empty. The hostess asked us if we knew this was a "2 table service meal". ...Our table was in a back corner 1.)beside the kitchen entrance 2.)next to the drink station/register spot 3.)with a barrier between us and all windows 4.)the bar was between us and any view of the windowed kitchen 5.)with extreme traffic from all servers and hosts/hostesses and 6.)all parties being seated went by in droves. We had been seated and a drink order taken before we realized what had happened. There was very little traffic when we sat down, then as the place filled up it became a major highway within 2 feet of all our seats. Jay was our server and I must say he did a great job for his part and he was tipped appropriately for a job well done. He did take the time to ask if we knew this was a, "2 table service meal".

As we ate bread three servers were leaned up against the drink station watching us eat. I stated loudly to my wife that it was nice to have an audience and they scattered like cockroaches. We were waiting for an appetizer as the place filled and traffic started to become unbearable. My wife who usually sees the glass 3/4 full started to agree with me that we needed to say something. I asked a member of management (strawberry blond/ red hair, sorry don't have a name) to be moved to another table that Jay served and she told us that he only had two other very small tables next to ours in the same row. She offered to move us, but you could see the pain in her face and it was obvious that it would have put them out to do so. We liked Jay and quite honestly we felt kind of sorry for him (having to serve these tables).

The food was so-so. The calamari appetizer wasn't even in the same league as Ruth's Chris'. The New York Strip I ordered had some bland mustard sauce draped across it that ruined the flavor and my son's chicken skewers were dry. Thankfully my wife enjoyed her scallops. Maybe if we had an ounce of atmosphere it might have been a great meal. As it stands, it was not very special. And to think...this was a, "2 table service meal".

We had made a concerted effort to show up well dressed even after a full day in the parks. I even made my son dress nicely and stay neat throughout the day, causing much angst. After all, this was the one meal for my wife and quite honestly it could not have been worse. If not for Jay I would of had our family walk out by the time our meal had arrived. The longer we sat there, the more humiliated we became. Nobody else was seated in this area until the restaurant was full and we had completed our meal. I have tried to step back from this and look at it from different angles, but the more I think about it the more I realize how condescending we were treated (what difference does it make if I planned to stay at The Boardwalk?). Nobody at any time said they were sorry. Twice we were told, "I can understand your concern". Once again, nobody ever apologized or offered to set things right. I can only give you my word that we were never rude or confrontational.

The best part of the whole event was stepping onto the ferry boat to go back to Magic Kingdom. It is my personal recommendation that all other fine dining establishments be considered first and only go to Flying Fish as an absolute last resort.

Melanie
03-22-2009, 05:38 AM
Hello brother! Welcome to my world. :rocks:

Sorry about the 'incident', especially since it was intended to be my dear sister-in-law's special meal. :( We've never eaten at Flying Fish, and have never done the dining plan either. That's all unknown territory for me. I do know you shouldn't have been treated as second rate just because you weren't on the deluxe plan or staying at the Boardwalk. Hopefully it was just an isolated incident, and I do hope we'll hear more about your trip. :mickey:

Twinsowner
03-22-2009, 06:34 AM
I was at Flying Fish in November and can agree with some of your opinions. We were on the deluxe dining plan and although we were not necessarily treated poorly, we really did not enjoy the experience. Mainly because the food was just "so so". I think I rated it a C in my review. The atmosphere is extremely loud and the wait staff was a little "stuffy" for me. We too had the New York strip and found it to not to be very good. I am sorry to hear that it ruined your one special meal. Try Narccoossees next time. It is our favorite and we wouldnt miss it!!!

Maleficent's Dad
03-22-2009, 08:03 AM
First off, Turtle Dude, Welcome to Intercot!

Sorry to hear about your experience a FF. The lack of respect you were shown is not acceptable, and you may want to contact Guest Services and let them know how you feel (it helps to include specific names, receipts, etc.). It's just wrong to be mis-treated, whether you're at a "higher-end" locale, or an ordinary burger joint. :humph:

I'm one of those who love the place, so it's hard for me to be critical... Not that this applies to you, but what happens nowadays (with the Internet readily providing all of us instant access to reviews and questions/solutions) is that quite often, our expectations are way too high, and quite often, we as consumers are disappointed.

I often feel that it's good to read "mixed reviews" of restaurants and hotels, because it gives a more rounded picture of places... You ask me, and the Boardwalk and Flying Fish are top draws. For you, the opposite was evident.

Please get in touch with Disney about this. It's really unacceptable for you or anyone to be treated as such. :nope:

Here's their email:
[email protected]

Good luck!!! :mickey:

Turtle Dude
03-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome Maleficent's Dad. It's good to be here. And thanks for the suggestion Twinsowner. I feel sure we will take your suggestion of Narcoossees on our next visit. Mel, as always, it is good to hear from lil' sis.

My only reason for posting this review is to counteract the rave reviews I found elsewhere. I have since found a few others that do not give the highest marks, but only after digging deeper. I truly want to inform others that if you do not appear to want to order the suggested glass of wine with each course you may be treated in a similar fashion. Maybe somebody from Flying Fish will be made aware of this review and not let it happen again. Somehow, I don't think it matters to them. The table we were seated at should not even be considered for someone with reservations. It should be held out for walk-ups that want to be seated quickly and only after they have been sternly warned of what they are getting into.

Again, this is nowhere near indicative of our week long stay. Friday's Ohana breakfast made up for a lot of the previous night's shortcomings. Now that we've got the "child's" trip out of the way we look forward to a return trip designed more towards the entire family. I was impressed with The Contemporary's atmosphere, but I will do my research before booking a room. The monorail stop was a huge plus as well. It reminded me of the Vegas resort I was in two weeks previous, less the desert and mountain views. The golf clubs will definitely need to make the next trip.

KatMark
03-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Welcome to Intercot. Thanks for the review. We did Flying Fish several years ago and were not impressed either. We'd much rather pay out of pocket and go to Fulton's in Downtown Disney (which, unfortunately, is not on the idning plan).

Hammer
03-22-2009, 06:58 PM
First things first, :welcome: to Intercot! Any relation of Mel's is aces in my book :) !

Now, to your review. Don't know if you saw my review (it was posted in a review I did of all of the signature restaurants) but I wasn't bowled over by Flying Fish either. My sister and I were given a sub par table as well (though we dined later in the evening) and we had only okay service. We weren't even on the Dining plan. Our server was more interested in taking care of the table of businessmen next to us as he figured they would give him a better tip. Little did he know that he would have received above the 18% tip provided by using Tables in Wonderland (DDE) had we had more attentive service. We also made a point to not mention we were using the DDE/Tables discount until the meal was finished. The food was good, not great. We had a much better meals the night before at Jiko and the following night at California Grill.

I agree that I enjoyed the seafood at Narcoossee's more than Flying Fish, so I say try there next time if you want seafood. If not, I recommend the California Grill (have never had a bad meal there) or Jiko (the lamb was incredible).

Nini
03-22-2009, 08:46 PM
We also were not thrilled with the Flying Fish.

Although not on the dining plan, we did make the unforgivable mistake of arriving at the restaurant in park attire - however nothing we were wearing was against the rules of the dress code.

Our table was fine, and the appetizers we had were outstanding (crab cake for me, calamari for DH). The main course, the signature potato wrapped snapper, I found to be too rich. The first couple of bites wre great, but after that it got sickish very quickly.

Anyway....our main problem was the service. Our waitress ( I don't remember her name, but she resembled Paula Poundstone) had the personality of a flea, ....or a stone, ....or something really small and totally lacking in personality. Even after ordering an $80 bottle of wine she still treated us as if we weren't good enough to be there wasting her time. And the last straw was when she brought the check without even asking if we wanted coffee or dessert, which we did. Now usually we tip at least 20%, but she got a meer 12%. As I told my husband, we lived down to her expectations! I know we should have said something to someone, but sometimes when these things happen you just want to get out of there and continue on with your vacation as if you weren't just treated like trash. Which is what we did.

In any case, we will not be returning to the Flying Fish......ever. There are too many other great places to enjoy a meal.

Denise :mickey:

ElenitaB
03-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT!

You've totally confirmed the impression that I've gotten of FF, and we do stay often at the Boardwalk. I once went in as they were opening to ask them something (maybe about their menu but it was back in '04 so my memory is a bit vague) and was a bit taken aback by the attitude of the people I talked to. We received very similar treatment at Brown Derby, and as you say, we'll never ever go back there.

:thumbsup: for trying to set up a nice meal for your wife! Too bad it played out the way it did.

TheRustyScupper
03-22-2009, 10:04 PM
1) That is why we eat at only five WDW restaurants.
2) And, only two of them are Disney-owned.

NOTE: We never accept a table by an entrance, kitchen or waiter station. It is never mandatory.

cgriff
03-22-2009, 10:29 PM
1) That is why we eat at only five WDW restaurants.
2) And, only two of them are Disney-owned.

What year did you start limiting yourself to these only 5 restaurants, Scupper? There are probably a lot of new restaurants you haven't tried then, eh?

NOTE: We never accept a table by an entrance, kitchen or waiter station.

Ditto... And don't even think of putting me at a table near the lavatory entrance!

Melanie
03-23-2009, 08:39 AM
I concur with Christine on the recommendations of California Grill and Jiko. James and I had two wonderful meals at both those places. :thumbsup: You guys come back down after we move, and you and J can go childless. We'll take the boys and have a blast somewhere else. :D

NotaGeek
03-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey there Turtle Dude! :welcome: to INTERCOT ... I can't believe you are finally joining Mel here on the Dark Side. Or wait, is this the good side? Anyway, I am her friend Michael in Spokane ... thanks for the review. This was a restaurant I went back and forth about, and now I am glad I didn't try it. I am, how do I put this, a LOT more vocal then most innocent park-goers, so it might not have ended pretty. :mickey:

Again ... :welcome: :party2:

Turtle Dude
03-24-2009, 10:59 PM
There is so much agreement here that I am starting to feel vindicated. Too bad there were so many disappointments (or a need for this thread).

Thank you so much for all the welcomes. Maybe I can answer somebody's question in the future now that I'm a seasoned veteran :unsure: Glad I could help you out this time NotaGeek.

With all these suggestions I will need two deluxe plans just for me on our next visit. I want to try them all. If there's one thing I enjoy...it's eating. Just ask Melanears :mickey:

NOTE: We never accept a table by an entrance, kitchen or waiter station. It is never mandatory. I will now live by these words TheRustyScupper.

:thanks:

TheDuckRocks
03-25-2009, 12:03 PM
:welcome: to Mel's brother (we all love her in these parts):rocks:
I'm so sorry to hear of the negetive experience so many of you have had at Flying Fish, we went there in Dec. and had a wonderful one. We also didn't get any of those weird questions from the CMs, yes I do think they were weird and rude and un-needed.

SBETigg
03-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for your review. I've mostly heard good things about the Flying Fish, so this surprises me. I'm never one to think that it's because you're on the dining plan that you get treated in a certain way. Your treatment reflects poorly on the restaurant, regardless. It's one I've been excited to try. I have reservations for April. I'm still going to try it, but I'm also going to California Grill, Jiko, and Citricos on the same trip. We'll see how it rates by comparison. I'll let you know.