PDA

View Full Version : Chef Mickey's vs. Ohana

hope23
03-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Looking for a fun dinner experience for my family... DS 5 & 3. We are doing Donald's Breakfast Safari as well, so we'll have a character meal. Which of these two do you think would be more fun and memorable? Thanks!

homeschool mom
03-21-2009, 07:26 AM
We've never done O'Hana, so I can't make a comparison. However, we have done Chef Mickey's several times. In fact, it is a must do on our family trips now! We love it!

Since you are doing Donald's Safari Breakfast, you would pretty much see the same characters at Chef Mickey's. I think they have different characters at O'Hana so that may help you make a choice.

By the way, have fun. I'm sure your little ones will enjoy either one you choose.

kathiep
03-21-2009, 08:51 AM
We probably won't go back to dinner at Chef Mickey's. I'd go to breakfast there anytime, but we weren't thrilled with dinner.

That being said, we love O'Hana for dinner. The food is much better than that of Chef Mickey. Just be careful not to eat too much early on or you won't have room for the skewers. It's also a lot of fun for the kids. My kids did the coconut races and the limbo and had a great time. There aren't any characters at dinner, just the games.

GrmGrninGost
03-21-2009, 09:28 AM
For breakfast I would go with Chef Mickey's. However, our dinner experience there was not that great. Therefore, I would say 'Ohana is your best bet. It's a lot of fun! :mickey:

hlkeck
03-21-2009, 09:47 AM
my kids were 3 and 5 when they went to both and they still ask to go back to Chef Mickey's. We had pretty bad service at O'Hana and they may damper my view...but they want to go back again on our next trip and we've already been twice!

DisneyBabies
03-21-2009, 10:32 AM
We just got back and I would have to say, for what you are asking, do O'Hana. It was great and we hadn't even left before DS5 was asking to go back.

Mr_Increddieble
03-21-2009, 11:00 AM
O'hanas - hands down. It's so relaxing to be at the Poly when the world is waking up. The light shines through the windows of the restaurant and with the colors in there it has a suttle glow. Nice and low key with a view of the castle across the lake, inviting you to come spend the day at MK. Plus the food is served family style so there's no getting up and missing the kids with the characters. When you leave the restaurant you can join in a relaxing hula dancing class with native hawaiians to begin to work off those calories.

Or you can witness the chaotic cacophony of rushing characters and hope you escape with your life, a crooked photo, and a strip of bacon.

Good Luck with your decision!

Love,
Stitch

PixieMagic
03-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Stitch has it all right - you can't beat the Poly for atmosphere - they still have characters @ O'Hana + kids activities and on top it all you don't have to get up to get food...plus THE FOOD! The food is so much better @ O'Hana....I just don't see a comparison here....you can't beat OHana and Chef Mickey's is a nightmare with waffles that taste like cardboard and steak that tastes like shoes......just saying....:secret:

GoofyforFun
03-21-2009, 02:31 PM
I believe it depends on when your going. We have always seem to get in late our first night so for us we go over for a quick disney fix at CM. .. characters and some fun included. No complaints.
Again what characters do you want to see and if the Safari BF is at the beginning of the week, what do you want to go out with ??

Mr_Increddieble
03-21-2009, 09:23 PM
MMMM! Shoe Steak!

ThanxForNoticin
03-22-2009, 12:07 PM
I'd offer another vote for 'OHana. It's one of our favorites - and more importantly, one of our kids' favorites, too. If another character meal is important to your kids, then you would need to head to CM. But even without the characters at 'OHana, I think my kids have had more fun there. And the food and atmosphere have always been outstanding.

Hull-onian
03-22-2009, 04:25 PM
We've only been to Chef Mickeys for dinner. We liked it. :tasty:

u2daisyblue
03-22-2009, 05:33 PM
OP, I hope you don't mind my chiming in. For those of you have posted, do you recommend O'hana for breakfast or lunch?

ThanxForNoticin
03-22-2009, 05:51 PM
OP, I hope you don't mind my chiming in. For those of you have posted, do you recommend O'hana for breakfast or lunch?

Of course we don't mind!

Actually, 'OHana doesn't serve lunch, just breakfast and dinner - both are very good. We are more of a 'big dinner' family, so we go for dinner. But I know breakfast is very popular there, too.

Mr_Increddieble
03-23-2009, 10:34 AM
We have a tough time deciding which one also. So this May we are doing both. On different days. When you can't decide which one...choose both.

ldc12377
03-23-2009, 11:46 AM
I would pick CM for dinner but I'd pick Ohana for breakfast.
Ohana breakfast is one of the best on property (and yes, breakfast can be bad at some places even though they all serve about the things...) and you can't beat eating with Lilo and Stitch. I also love that it is served family-style.
Chef Mickey's is one of my family's favorites and a must do every trip. If the food here was served family-style then we might not eat anywhere else. Buffets can be a little hard with little ones but CM is still worth it.

SBETigg
03-23-2009, 11:52 AM
'Ohana for dinner. Lots of fun, activities, but no characters. But no getting up and down with kids to fill buffet plates. It's served family style at the table. It's a relaxing, fun family meal.

AdventurerKim
03-23-2009, 01:01 PM
No question--Ohana all the way! We've been for dinner several times and loved it! Great food and atmosphere!

joonyer
03-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Since you are already doing a character breakfast at another buffet, I would choose 'Ohana. The food is much better than Chef' Mickey's and the experience is different. Chef Mickey's will be just another character buffet meal at a different location (admittedly the atrium of the Contempaory os a cool place), but the food is basically the same at all character buffets. But unless you just want characters at dinner, I would choose 'Ohana.

Hayden's Dad
03-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Neither one of these character meals is our favorite, but I would say Ohana's for breakfast. Donald's Safari breakfast is our favorite you will have a ball there.

DANAM
03-25-2009, 01:51 PM
"Ohana's!!! We like it for breakfast and dinner. Although I will say we don't care for the food at all at Chef Mickey's and 'Ohana's is one of our fav meals. We do either dinner or breakfast here every trip.

scootch713
03-25-2009, 04:38 PM
My kids all time favorite is Chef Mickey's. We especially like their dinner food, the best we have had a WDW. It is truly a must do on every trip!

tinkerddeedee
03-25-2009, 08:13 PM
:mickey:which park is closest to the poly and can we get there by means of boat, bus, or monorail?:mickey:
from the rest.

joonyer
03-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Magic Kingdom is just across the lake from the Poly. You can get there by monorail (fastest) or by boat (slower but fun, too). No need to go by bus(I don't even think you can).

MistressGracey999
03-26-2009, 12:25 PM
O'hana has a more exotic theme, while Chef Mickey's is more whimsical. As far as food goes, O'hana is probably better for adults, while CM has more variety for kids. Also, my DSs loved the wide selection of desserts at CM.

That being said, when I asked them this year which "nice" restaurants they wanted to eat at this upcoming trip, they BOTH said "O'hana!". So I guess that's the true test of which one they liked better! :D

CU Tiger
03-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Of the two, my DDs like Chef Mickey's best.:mickey: