PDA

View Full Version : Disney Lawsuit info on TMZ

vorpalswrd
03-20-2009, 11:24 PM
A Burbank family is suing the Walt Disney Company, claiming toxins from its Burbank headquarters contaminated the surrounding community, resulting in death.

Dennis Jackson claims Disney's air conditioning system contained contaminated wastewater laden with toxic chemicals that migrated into nearby residential areas and even contaminated drinking water.

The lawsuit, filed today in L.A. County Superior Court, claims Louise Jackson, who lived with her family in the neighborhood, died as a result of the pollutants. The suit claims residents now live in "terror of emissions."

The suit says Disney has been using the same cooling system since 1957.

J9
03-20-2009, 11:59 PM
I saw that. It looks pretty ridiculous. I actually laughed out loud when I read it!

brownie
03-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Not a good thing to happen after all the announcements on Disney's environmental initiatives. I hope none of it's true, and it does sound like a frivolous lawsuit.

drummerboy
03-21-2009, 09:36 AM
I'd wait for a lot more detail before I'd call this one frivolous. Sounds like somebody may have done their homework.

Stu29573
03-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Still, if Disney has been using the same system since 1957, it begs the question, why hasn't anyone else died? I could see it if it were a new system, but one person in 52 years is a bit weird...

Marker
03-21-2009, 11:16 AM
TMZ????

Oh yeah, there's a source for reliable news.

LauraleeH
03-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this were true...

Tekneek
03-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Still, if Disney has been using the same system since 1957, it begs the question, why hasn't anyone else died? I could see it if it were a new system, but one person in 52 years is a bit weird...

I do not know whether this lawsuit has any legitimate basis or not. That will be determined by the judicial system. However, it is fact that there are many things that are relatively safe with limited exposure, but are not safe when exposed to them over an extended length of time. The amounts don't even have to be very high when exposure is over a long time period.

vorpalswrd
03-22-2009, 01:24 PM
TMZ????

Well, I don't think they made up the lawsuit.

2Epcot
03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
TMZ????

TMZ seems to break more news stories than any other sydicated program right now ... Most often quoted by many "mainstream" news sources. I can't think of any retractions on any major stories.

Stu29573
03-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I do not know whether this lawsuit has any legitimate basis or not. That will be determined by the judicial system. However, it is fact that there are many things that are relatively safe with limited exposure, but are not safe when exposed to them over an extended length of time. The amounts don't even have to be very high when exposure is over a long time period.

Still. one person in over 50 years seems pretty darn safe....

Tekneek
03-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Still. one person in over 50 years seems pretty darn safe....

If what they claim is true, and the link to even one death can be reasonably proven, that is one death too many.

Marker
03-25-2009, 05:51 PM
If what they claim is true, and the link to even one death can be reasonably proven, that is one death too many.

True. However, if it is not true and proves to have no real merit, then there is a whole lot of negative publicity and word-of-mouth with no basis. I'd much rather not hear a thing until, and unless, there are facts to back up such claims.

Tekneek
03-26-2009, 06:00 PM
True. However, if it is not true and proves to have no real merit, then there is a whole lot of negative publicity and word-of-mouth with no basis. I'd much rather not hear a thing until, and unless, there are facts to back up such claims.

Too bad. These things are usually public record and anybody willing to dig through it can find out what is pending. Then they can investigate further and write it up. A pending lawsuit is not really a private matter. In some communities, every lawsuit that is filed gets published in the local paper.

c&d
03-30-2009, 11:09 AM
There's an article in the Orlando Sentinel today regarding lawsuits at the parks. They have a searchable database of the lawsuits filed. Interesting reading.

Stu29573
03-30-2009, 12:03 PM
There's an article in the Orlando Sentinel today regarding lawsuits at the parks. They have a searchable database of the lawsuits filed. Interesting reading.

I took a quick read-through. It seems that Disney needs to do away with gravity, since the vast majority of the incidents involved slipping and falling. Sorry, but I really don't see how me being a klutz constitutes negligence on anyone's part.

There are a couple of standouts, though...Like the guy that said he was humiliated and fainted due to his Fastpass being challenged. or the guy that got bent out of shape because he was joking about having a bomb in the bag chack line and he was detained...Go figure!:confused:

Daddy Mouse
04-01-2009, 11:56 AM
NO Comment!!!!:ack::ack::ack:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-05-2009, 12:24 AM
This kind of sounds like when I used to work for a hotel and people would get drunk, slip & fall in the shower and then try to sue the hotel.

As far as it being a phony lawsuit, that's not for me to decide, but lawyers cand and will take a case whether there is any merit to it or not. After all, it generates revenue!

But only one person in all those years? Wouldn't they have to show some kind of pattern?

drummerboy
04-05-2009, 01:34 AM
As far as it being a phony lawsuit, that's not for me to decide, but lawyers cand and will take a case whether there is any merit to it or not. After all, it generates revenue!

I always cringe when I see this type of thread because the lawyer bashing soon follows. Remember, there are lawyers who are Intercot members.

A lawyer would rarely take a case that had no merit, because then there actually would be no revenue. Most lawyers who take personal injury cases (and I don't do PI work) do so on a contingency basis, which means they don't collect unless the client collects. They don't have time to waste on no-merit cases. Granted, the merit may be slim, but there's got to be at least some.

Even in my general civil practice, in which I charge on an hourly basis, I've advised many a potential client that they should not pursue a case because their chances are too slim.

garymacd
04-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I took a quick read-through. It seems that Disney needs to do away with gravity, since the vast majority of the incidents involved slipping and falling. Sorry, but I really don't see how me being a klutz constitutes negligence on anyone's part.

There are a couple of standouts, though...Like the guy that said he was humiliated and fainted due to his Fastpass being challenged. or the guy that got bent out of shape because he was joking about having a bomb in the bag chack line and he was detained...Go figure!:confused:

Sounds as silly as a woman suing McDonald's because they were silly enough to use hot water when they made the coffee and she was silly enough to hold the cup between her legs while driving!

Hello! Coffee! Hot!!

drummerboy
04-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Sounds as silly as a woman suing McDonald's because they were silly enough to use hot water when they made the coffee and she was silly enough to hold the cup between her legs while driving!

Hello! Coffee! Hot!!
Sigh. Once again,
1. she was not driving, she was a passenger, and was not holding the cup between her legs. 2. The coffee was superheated--give you third-degree burns superheated, not like your coffeemaker at home.
3. The car was pulled over while she tried to get the lid off of the cup (ever have trouble getting those lids off?)
4. When the lid popped off, the coffee spilled into her lap and gave her third degree burns where it shouldn't have.
5. It took a lot of painful and intensive medical treatment.
6. She was not the only one to receive third-degree burns from their coffee. Several others had suffered the same injuries around the country, and this was brought into evidence to show that they knew they had a dangerous product.

I certainly wish people would try to learn all the facts about these cases before blythly tossing them off as 'frivolous'. Just remember, if you ever get seriously injured because of someone else's carelessness, for heavens sake, **** up and pay for it yourself, or somebody might start talking about how frivolous you are.

OK, off the soapbox.

As to the original post, there still has been no solid information about what is supposed to have happened.