PDA

View Full Version : where to have my 40th birthday dinner?

LoriSan
03-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm a few weeks out from making my ADR for my big birthday trip, and can't decide where to have dinner. I will be with DH and DS4, but I was thinking of sending DS to one of the kids clubs at a resort and having an adult meal. I was thinking California Grill to watch Wishes, but I don't usually eat so late, and I'm also not sure about leaving DS at the program so late either. So, I'm game for anything.

suggestions?

gmgdisneymom
03-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Le Cellier - that is where i had my 40th b-day dinner

joonyer
03-20-2009, 11:55 AM
I would choose California Grill. It will be an unforgettable experience, even if you don't go late enough for the fireworks. But you don;t have to get a 9:00 seating. If you get ADR around 7:00-7:30, that is not so late and you can go out to the balcony after your meal to watch Wishes.

An alternative is the Rose & Crown at Epcot if you are lucky enough to get a patio table for Illuminations. We did that for my 40th, (and got a patio table) and while the food is not the same quality at CG, we still had a great time.

Hull-onian
03-20-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm a few weeks out from making my ADR for my big birthday trip, and can't decide where to have dinner. I will be with DH and DS4, but I was thinking of sending DS to one of the kids clubs at a resort and having an adult meal. I was thinking California Grill to watch Wishes, but I don't usually eat so late, and I'm also not sure about leaving DS at the program so late either. So, I'm game for anything.

suggestions?:party:
If you're at a Disney resort, press"0" on your room phone ask for the special birthday message. Request a free "It's My birthday!" pin at the Guest Relations desk at the theme parks. Dining is a tough call for me, as I like everything.:tasty: The Polynesian Resort has the Kona Cafe, and for dinner you can get steak, chicken, and seafood with an Asian flair, and desser too. Then you can walk out back to the beach (how romantic) and watch Wishes from there. We're gonna do that our first night there.:cloud9:

1EeyoreFan
03-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I just celebrated my big 4-0 at the Cali Grill and it was Fabulous! We had a table by the window and had a wonderful view of the fireworks.

Hull-onian
03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I just celebrated my big 4-0 at the Cali Grill and it was Fabulous! We had a table by the window and had a wonderful view of the fireworks.

Awww!! Sounds wonderful!! Happy Belated Birthday to you!!!:party:

LoriSan
03-20-2009, 01:04 PM
I wonder if the Cali Grill would let me leave to go get my son and come back to watch the fireworks on the balcony. I would hate to have him miss Mommy's Birthday fireworks (it won't be Wishes that day) :secret:

Do they allow anyone on the Poly beach to watch Wishes?

ayeckley
03-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Just a funny coincidence. Seems a lot of us are getting dinner at the California Grill for our 40th birthdays (mine's belated, so no pin for me).:mickey:

PixieMagic
03-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Rose and Crown - patio table for illuminations - only thing is there's no guarantee....

Natazu
03-20-2009, 02:09 PM
They wouldn't mind at all if you brought him back later to watch Wishes from the Observation Deck. California Grill is a great choice for any special occasion like birthdays, anniversaries, Flag Day, Bonifacio Day...

SBETigg
03-20-2009, 02:10 PM
I wonder if the Cali Grill would let me leave to go get my son and come back to watch the fireworks on the balcony. I would hate to have him miss Mommy's Birthday fireworks (it won't be Wishes that day) :secret:

Do they allow anyone on the Poly beach to watch Wishes?

Yes, and yes. If you dine at California Grill early, you're welcome to come back for fireworks later. They're very accommodating.

ibrowse17
03-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Even though it was a week after my birthday, we ate at the Yatchsman for my 40th. It was fantastic:thumbsup:

j&j
03-20-2009, 03:28 PM
maybe a ps in your favorite oark or at the GF.:mickey::mickey::mickey:

LoriSan
03-20-2009, 03:35 PM
so where is better to watch my Birthday Fireworks from? Cali Grill or the Poly beach (since DS will probably be at the Poly kids program)

SBETigg
03-20-2009, 04:00 PM
so where is better to watch my Birthday Fireworks from? Cali Grill or the Poly beach (since DS will probably be at the Poly kids program)

The fireworks view from the Poly is pretty good, but the view from California Grill is nothing short of amazing. You're practically hovering over the MK watching them go off. It's very cool. If anyone in your party is afraid of heights, though, choose the Poly beach. As for dining, I find the California Grill to be vastly superior to Kona Cafe for food, service, and atmosphere. If you're looking to stay close to the DS, Kona is an okay choice. But if you don't mind being a monorail stop away, California Grill is more special for a celebration. The views are breathtaking.

LoriSan
03-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I think the Cali Grill it is. The July schedule hasn't been released yet, but I'm guessing my birthday fireworks will be at about 9pm, since it's a weeknight. I'll try to get our ADR for about 6:30, giving us time to enjoy the meal, then go back to the Poly to pick up DS, and get back to the Cont.

I'm so excited! Now to just get that ADR **sharpening elbows** :thedolls:

saunie
03-21-2009, 08:44 AM
We're doing DH's 70th birthday at the California Grill in June and from the sounds of it, we made a great choice!:cloud9:

Disoriented
03-24-2009, 10:53 PM
I apologize for joining the party so late, and I can't remember how I spent my 40th, but I celebrated my 50th at the "Chef's Table" at Victoria and Alberts and it was absolutely amazing. It is the ultimate special occasion dinner.

I've been to the California Grill and sat at the first table by the window with nothing but a thin pane of glass between me and the Magic Kingdom during wishes and I loved every second of it, but it's not even close to being in the same league as the "Chef's Table".

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your special day!!!

mrsgaribaldi
03-25-2009, 02:54 AM
I've celebrated several birthdays at the California Grill. My 40th and even my 44th last month. In my opinion, nothing beats the food and the view. DH loves it too. We celebrated his 40th there too.
Happy Birthday and I hope you enjoy wherever you end up. A birthday in Disney World is always awesome wherever you spend it:cloud9: