PDA

View Full Version : The Woodland's resort near Houston, Texas?

buzznwoodysmom
03-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Ok, I need some vacation advice again. Has anyone stayed at The Woodland's Resort near Houston, Texas recently? We are trying to plan a weekend getaway and take in an Astro's game. My youngest just started baseball and wants to go to a professional baseball game and this would be the closest one to us. I was looking for a fun resort where we could spend a good bit of the weekend swimming and wanted a fun pool for the kids. I found this resort and it looks amazing. However, I read reviews and most were aweful. Can anyone give me some suggestions/advice on this place? Anyone have any firsthand experience with the resort? Any suggestions for a different hotel would be great as well. We are looking for a hotel that has a pool and is clean. A fun pool or a pool with a slide would be a major plus. Thanks.

MizMissy
03-20-2009, 11:07 AM
I took my two kids last July 4th weekend (husband was on an offshore fishing trip) and we loved it. My kids absolutely loved the tower slide and the pool. They had many kids activities around the pool also - a "treasure hunt," face painting, arts and crafts. At night, they offered smores and a "dive-in" movie at the pool (they closed the slide and had a big screen dropped down over the tower). We were only there overnight so did not have a chance to explore the rest of the resort, but I think they offer bike rentals, a game room (pool table, air hockey) and other kids/family activities. The resort area is very peaceful.
There are two sets of rooms - the newer rooms that surround the pool and the older area of the hotel that's across the street from the pool. We made last minute plans and had to book one of the older rooms. They weren't 5 star by any means, but they were very clean and comfortable and a good sized room. The good part about the older area of the hotel is that I'm sure it's much more quiet than the pool rooms. I can't imagine trying to put a little one to bed early with the dive-in movie going on outside.
The only issue/annoyance we had is that we arrived mid to late morning on the Saturday and all of the chairs were "saved" (towels draped over the backs). Of course, this was a very busy weekend, but the next morning, we went out to the pool very early and again most of the chairs were saved. A friend later told me that when they go for the weekend (women and kids at the pool, husbands play golf), they wake up very early and go downstairs to pick out their pool chairs - guess that's a trend for most guests.
My kids had a great time and we plan to return this summer. Also, I've talked to several other people who have spent weekends at the resort and I haven't heard any bad reviews. I would recommend it.

MNNHFLTX
03-20-2009, 01:15 PM
That's a tough one. If your main priority is finding a large outdoor pool area with a fun water slide, there isn't a lot to choose from in this area aside from The Woodland's Resort and Conference Center. I do know The Houstonian (downtown) also has a decent sized pool and waterslide, but the rooms are probably pricey.

My husband has stayed at The Woodlands Resort a couple of times for business conferences and was not impressed with anything about the resort. But it does sound like they are trying to market it more toward families right now.

If you do stay there you will have to drive a while to get to Minute Maid Park in downtown Houston (40 minutes or so, depending on traffic). Have you considered staying at a hotel closer to downtown? Even if the pool is not ideal, there are many other activities for families nearby--Hermann Park, the Houston Zoo, the Houston Children's Museum and the Museum of Natural History. I'm not that familiar with family-friendly hotels downtown, but I have heard that the Omni Hotel near the Galleria has some kid-suite type rooms and assume they have other kid-friendly activities.

No matter where you choose to stay, hope you enjoy your weekend in Houston!:)