PDA

View Full Version : carriage rides at Port Orleans resorts

homeschool mom
03-19-2009, 03:03 PM
For those who have done this:
1. Is it worth the $$?
2. Is the $35 charge per each individual? (I'm guessing it is.)
3. Should it be booked ahead or when we get there? We will be there April 17 - 24 to celebrate our 20th anniv. :mickey:

Thanks!

pwdebbie
03-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi Homeschool Mom. I'm a former homeschool mom (youngest is now 26).

We will be at POFQ almost the same time as you, we arrive 4/20. Our 32nd anniversary is the 23rd and I've reserved a carriage ride for us that night. Just did this two days ago. To my understanding, it is $35 for the carriage no matter how many ride (maximum is five).

You should book it ahead of time although I understand that people sometimes just walk up and can get on. Call 407-WDW-PLAY to make a reservation.

When you reserve, they require you to put it on a credit card (and you will get charged if you are a no-show). BUT when you actually go for your ride, you pay cash (plus tip) to the driver and the charge on your credit card doesn't get processed. The drivers only take cash so don't plan on using a credit card, gift card, or even charging to your room on KTTW card. The lady I talked to emphasized that I must have cash with me.

My dh doesn't know I've planned this. We saw carriages come through POFQ when we were there in 2007 and he thought it would be nice to do, so I'm planning this as a surprise for him on this trip -- it was much cheaper than planning a golf outing! I'm terrible at keeping secrets so he will probably find out.

homeschool mom
03-20-2009, 08:37 AM
In response to pwdebbie:

Congrats on your 32nd anniv! :party: You are to be commended. Not many couples make it that far these days. This will also be our anniv. trip though our actual anniv. date isn't until July 1. We will be celebrating 20 years then. We want to go in April partly to miss the crowds and the heat but mostly because we love the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival!

We have been doing semi-annual trips to WDW with our 5 children since 2000. This will be our first trip without the kids. :mickey: We always stay at the values, but this trip we are staying at CBR. We are so looking forward to it.

I have planned a surprise for DH as well. I've booked a Hoop-Dee-Doo dinner show for the two of us. :secret: He's always wanted to try it, but we never have. We are also taking the Keys to the Kingdom tour and hopefully a carriage ride at PO.

Have a wonderful trip!

GrmGrninGost
03-20-2009, 12:34 PM
I think the carriage ride is a wonderful experience! I'm sure we will do it again in the future! I would definitely book ahead. I have seen people be turned away who did not have reservations. Also, it is cash only to be paid when you ride. The $35.00 is for the carriage ride, not per person.

DisneyMiMi
03-21-2009, 11:07 AM
A word of caution - my son booked the carriage ride as a surprise for his anniversary while we were down there last Jan. Unfortunately, his 5 year old became very sick that night and we had to take her to a doctor - forgetting about the reservations - they will charge the credit card if not cancelled withing 24 hours - so remember this. It was a costly mistake on our part.

epceddie
03-21-2009, 12:16 PM
My wife and I enjoyed a very romantic carriage ride at POR on our honeymoon. We brought along some champagne and enjoyed the scenery.
We're going back in May and we're going to try to do a carriage ride at Fort Wilderness. Last October, we did a Haunted Halloween carriage ride there that was themed to the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. We ended up getting chased by the Headless Horseman. It was fantastic and we liked the fact that the ride was through the woods and not a resort.
I can still remember all the noise the horseshoes made as we rode through POR and thinking that if I were staying there, I wouldn't appreciate it.

##Funicello
03-21-2009, 12:40 PM
The ride sounds cool. Does anyone know the hours it runs?

EeyoresBestFriend
03-22-2009, 06:45 PM
I can still remember all the noise the horseshoes made as we rode through POR and thinking that if I were staying there, I wouldn't appreciate it.

We love the FQ and one of the things that I think makes some of the atmosphere for us is the horses clopping and the boats droning on the Sassagoula.:cloud9:
Maybe just weird that way :blush:

pwdebbie
03-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Please don't quote me on the hours, but I *think* it is 6:30 to 9:30. I could be wrong. You can find out at the WDW website.