PDA

View Full Version : Vista???? 32 bit vs 64 bit???

Marker
03-19-2009, 10:25 AM
With my layoff at Sprint I have to give them back their laptop next Friday. So, I'm suddendly shopping for one of my own. Planning to order tomorrow (payday).

At the moment, I'm seeing an HP on Costco.com that looks like a pretty good deal. It comes with a printer (which really doesn't matter to me).

But here's my question, they have 2 options. One is a 64 bit system with 4GB of memory, the other is a 32 bit system with 3GB of memory. Both are Vista systems. The price difference between the two is about $50.

I have no experience with Vista --- any opinions?

Would I really benefit from the 64 bit system?

brownie
03-19-2009, 10:49 AM
The only thing I know about the difference between the two is that some people can't run certain software on Vista 64-bit. I would check to make sure that all the applications you want to run will run on Vista 64-bit before going with the 64-bit version.

SBETigg
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
I have a new MacBook Pro and I absolutely love it. I never thought I would switch to Mac, but we've been very happy together. Also came with printer-copier-scanner for $5 after rebate.

DizneyRox
03-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I went 64bit with Windows XP and quickly went back. Drivers were the problem at that point, but software could also be an issue, I never got that far.

If it were me, I'd go 32bit unless there's something you need on that's only 64bit. Sounds like you've got one choice, and with the price of the OS if you pick wrong, you don't want to be wrong. Go safe and pick 32bit.

I'll send you a bill for the $.02

MNNHFLTX
03-19-2009, 04:04 PM
I recently got a Toshiba laptop with a 32-bit operating system and 3 GB of memory and it runs Vista just fine. Incidentally, I haven't had too many issues getting used to Vista; I've generally found it pretty easy to work with.

garymacd
03-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Some new software is coming is 64-bit. But a lot of software is still only 32-bit. Decide what you are going to be doing. At this point, I think it's better to stay with 32-bit for now.

As for Mac's, we have two here since my daughter and my other daughter's boyfriend are taking Graphic Design. They both love their MacBook Pro's, but still run Vista on the machines so they have the best of both worlds.

titleistboy
04-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Alright, so I'm running 64-bit Vista right now, on a Toshiba...I've had no problems thus far with anything, but I use primarily design-based software which goes both ways, (so long as you pay attention the first time)

Ultimately, unless there's something really specific you're going to use it for, go with whatever's cheaper.

tjstrike
04-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Unless you're a big time gamer you shouldn't need the 64 bit. We have the 32 bit and I haven't had any compatability problems with it and my older programs.

caryrae
04-06-2009, 01:43 PM
We have had a PC with Vista Home Premium that is 32 bit for a few years now and have never had a problem with it but then again we use it mostly for the Internet, pictures, and using our iPods.

drummerboy
04-06-2009, 02:27 PM
My home system is Vista 64 bit, only because the HP system I wanted happened to have it. It doesn't like the scanner I use to copy 35mm slides into the compueter, which is a bummer. As somebody said, if you're not going to be gaming, you'd probably be just as well off with 32 bit. I haven't had any other problems with Vista otherwise (yet).

Ed
04-06-2009, 05:22 PM
I've got both - - 64 bit on the big HP desktop and 32 bit on the HP laptop. I, too, have had some program compatability problems with the 64 bit machine.

Until more 64 bit-compatible software and/or drivers for older hardware comes available, I'd be seriously tempted to stick with the 32 bit version.