PDA

View Full Version : Walking around the world

brer frog
03-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to walk from DHS to Epcot or the boardwalk?

what about from POP to DHS, it seams there is a moat around DHS from google maps.

I enjoy :walk: and would rather :walk: than wait for and take a :bus:

brownie
03-18-2009, 03:29 PM
It is possible. I think it's somewhere around 30 minutes. Your other option would be to :sail: (you can take a water taxi from Disney's Hollywood Studios to the Boardwalk resorts or Epcot.)

c&d
03-18-2009, 03:39 PM
You can definitely walk from DHS to Epcot. It's probably about 1.5 miles or so. Depending on when you're changing parks you can stop and eat along the Boardwalk.

I don't think it's possible to walk from Pop to DHS. I don't think there are sidewalks along the main roads. I could be wrong about that.

Figment78
03-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Yep - you can walk from DHS to Epcot. Before our last trip, I had heard that you could walk from the Boardwalk to DHS, but I didn't believe it or understand it until I actually did it. But yes, you definitely can.

From the BW to Epcot it's about 10 min (if that) and from BW to DHS its about 15-20. DH and I did it in 10 when we were there in Sept but we were walking REALLY fast.

As PP mentioned, you also can take the boat.

One caveat is that you will be entering through the "back" entrance at Epcot (the International Gateway), which means if you want to go to Future World, or say, China, you still have quite a bit of walking to do once you get into Epcot.

Not sure about Pop.

brer frog
03-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks, I'm going to try that. maybe even race people on the bus

DawsonAR
03-18-2009, 09:10 PM
From EPCOT to DHS is really a nice walk. We walked it at a normal pace and it was 20-25 minutes.

LynneM
03-19-2009, 12:21 AM
From Epcot to DHS via the Boardwalk, yes, there's a walking path and it's a reasonable distance.

Nothing's really walkable from Pop.

With a few exceptions (like the Epcot resort area mentioned above), WDW is not really built for walking. Distances between resorts and parks are measured in miles, and there are few walking paths or sidewalks.

For instance, Pop to DHS. It looks close on the map, but from your building at Pop, but if you walk along the roads, it's at least a few miles. And you can't walk along the roads, which are mostly multi-lane highways with no sidewalks, and busses whizzing along at 55+ mph. Disney security will stop you if you try.

c&d
03-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks, I'm going to try that. maybe even race people on the bus

DS and I raced DH on the boat from Epcot to the Boardwalk. We won everytime. :D

GoofyGirl18
03-20-2009, 09:54 PM
In 2007 we stayed at the Boardwalk & walked to both Epcot & DHS. It was great! The walk to DHS was longer but a very scenic walk along the river.

Maleficent's Dad
03-21-2009, 06:12 AM
This is a topic that has come up often. There is a walkway from DHS to the Boardwalk, which is, in turn, a short distance/walk to EPCOT.

To save time, you can "cut through" the Boardwalk's main pool area (roller coaster type of pool - you can't miss it) en route. The walk to/from the studios is a pleasant one along the same river that the ferries travel. It is lit, paved, and there are directional signs to help you along your way.

In my fairly worthless opinion, the walk to/from the studios has always been way over-exaggerated. In fact, many of the rooms that we've stayed in at the BWV are closer to DHS than they are to EPCOT (yes, we timed it!).

Other than the extreme summer time heat (or drenching rain storms!), the walk is a pleasant option - and the extra exercise can't hurt anyone! ;)

Scar
03-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Yes, you can walk from POP to DHS. I have. Well, technically I walked from POP to The Dolphin, but the only difference is making a left at the river toward DHS instead of right toward The Dolphin and Boardwalk etc.

You go out the main entrance of POP and make a right on Victory Way. There is no sidewalk on Victory Way but you can walk on the grass. It was cut short when I did it. Then when you get to Buena Vista Drive, cross it. There is a traffic light there so no problem crossing it even with heavy traffic. Once on the other (north) side of Buena Vista Drive, there is a sidewalk. Head left (west). You will pass the gas station, and Epcot Resorts Blvd (where the entrance to Boardwalk is). Then just before the bridge over the river, go down the path that goes down to the river. Turn left for DHS or right towards EPCOT and the resorts.

You can check it out on Google Earth.

TammiMcMan
03-21-2009, 08:12 PM
There is no sidewalk on Victory Way but you can walk on the grass.I'm not up to date on the traffic rules, but I'm pretty sure that there is a Florida law, that it's illegal to walk on the side of the road unless there is a sidewalk.

LudwigVonDrake
03-22-2009, 12:17 PM
There is a sidewalk that runs along the waterway from the Beach Club to the DHS. Depending on how fast you walk it'll take about a half hour :walk:

Scar
03-22-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm not up to date on the traffic rules, but I'm pretty sure that there is a Florida law, that it's illegal to walk on the side of the road unless there is a sidewalk.
Really!?! :confused:

Walking alongside a road (that is not an interstate) is illegal? That could quite possibly be the most bizarre law I've ever heard of.

TammiMcMan
03-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Really!?! :confused:

Walking alongside a road (that is not an interstate) is illegal? That could quite possibly be the most bizarre law I've ever heard of.Right, it's something about a limited access road, which as I tried to explain in my post, I'm not up on the specific rules or the road types at Disney. I believe some are considered "highways".

brer frog
03-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks for your input. I'm a boy scout, so going for a 'hike' / walk isn't the worst thing to do. Especially if I am able to see some sights, it's better than waiting for a bus to go places. Walking 20 - 30 minutes to get someplace isn't all that bad, because I'm walking all day through the parks. and time wise, waiting 10 minutes for a bus that has to weave through traffic that can take 20 minutes to get to a park, is the same as spending 30 minutes walking and clearing my mind.

I'll keep a watch out for security :cop:

Scar
03-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Right, it's something about a limited access road, which as I tried to explain in my post, I'm not up on the specific rules or the road types at Disney. I believe some are considered "highways".OK that makes sense. But I would think that would only pertain to roads that can only be accessed by ramp, like World Drive (before the toll booth) and Epcot Center Drive. Victory Way is not limited access. Although, I suppose Disney might have "rules" that aren't necessarily "laws".

Walking 20 - 30 minutes to get someplace isn't all that bad, ...

I'll keep a watch out for security :cop:FYI, the walk from POP to The Dolphin was 45 mins at a decent pace. I suspect DHS would be a few minutes less.

Oh, and I walked right past the guard at the gate at POP and he didn't say anything.