PDA

View Full Version : August questions

PixieMagic
03-18-2009, 02:29 PM
My family is trying to plan our Disney trip and the only date that works for us all is this August 16th-22nd....however we've never been in August before... So I am asking:
**What is weather like?
**How often does it rain?
**How bad are crowds/wait times?
**Typically are the parks still open later?

Any insights will help! Thank you!!:cheer:

mouseketeer mom
03-18-2009, 02:43 PM
We were there last August around those dates. There was an approaching hurricane that hit us at the end of our trip. It was smokin' hot and incredibly humid. I don't think I dried out the whole trip. As I said, we were there during the hurricane and it rained, well I don't even know how to put this..it just dropped heavy from the sky. Not even like rain drops..just buckets of water. The crowds were manageable and we still had a fantastic time. Actually, the hurricane made it kind of exciting! I would go in August again.

tys_mommy
03-18-2009, 04:01 PM
We went August 6-17 last year - it was very hot - hotter than I had even planned for. Never rained while we were there(we went to Disney 2 times last year for a total of 16 days and never once saw any rain). It was somewhat crowded and wait times for popular rides were 60+ minutes. Go early and stay late - take a break if you can - we were traveling with little ones so it made it nice to take a break mid day.

SBETigg
03-18-2009, 04:10 PM
*What is weather like?
It's very hot and humid. If you're coming from a place like MN, it might seem unbearably, unrelentingly hot and humid. If you get wet on rides, you don't dry, due to humidity. Not comfortable because it doesn't cool you down. The wet clothes become your body temperature. We love heat, but it was too hot for us. It really slowed us down and we didn't get as much done. It is manageable if you do keep a slower pace, try not to worry about scheduling much, and seek air-conditioned buildings frequently. Don't forget the sunscreen!

**How often does it rain?
Most times, just for about an hour at midday. Sometimes, thunderstorms for hours or days.

**How bad are crowds/wait times?
On weekdays, pretty mild waits, maybe twenty minutes for Splash Mountain. Always a wait for Soarin'. Weekends are pretty much 40 minute waits or longer, but you can Fastpass.

**Typically are the parks still open later?
Yes, the hours are still later and it helps. Mornings are great, afternoon stifling(good time for a break), and evenings can be pretty crowded.

sleepingbooty
03-18-2009, 06:34 PM
We went one time in August, from the 10th through the 15th. It was way HOT! And very HUMID! And it did rain every day, for an hour or two in the late afternoon. The crowds were not too terrible, although greater than we are used to in September. The only unbearable crowds were one time we tried to do the evening EMH in Magic Kingdom. You could hardly move it was so packed. Never again! (EMH, not August itself)

gaffz70
03-19-2009, 07:15 AM
We will be going that week this year and have been there that week in the past. I was prepared for afternoon rain each day - and we got lucky no rain at all...they had a 14day drought, but as someone else said last year during that time there was a hurricane.

It is very hot, but it was very hot when we left Philly so it was no biggie. We took advantage of am EMH, back to the hotel in the afternoon and then back out at night. My husband is miserable in the heat and there was not one complaint from him.

All of the southern schools are back to school that week so he crowds are nit as bad. One of the CM's told us that they could tell a big difference in the weeks.

The other thing for us is that my dh is a teacher so we can only go in the summer...and late Aug is the only time I would pick in he summer b/c of less crowds...so I don't stress about the heat anymore b/c I don't have a choice!

kakn7294
03-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Ah, WDW in August... actually, it's one of my favorite times to go believe it or not. No one misses school and even though it's hot, at least I know how to pack and plan.

As for your questions:

**What is weather like? It's hot and extremely humid with temps in the 90º - 99º range. It's easy to become dehydrated, sunburned, or exhausted from the heat.

**How often does it rain? Sometimes it's everyday with an afternoon shower that lasts 20 - 60 min. Sometimes there are all day rains, especially with an impending hurricane. Sometimes it doesn't rain at all. It's really unpredictable.

**How bad are crowds/wait times? The later in the month you go, the smaller the crowds. It's not quite the summer peak, but it's still fairly crowded with wait times averaging 45 - 60 min for the popular attractions. It's still very manageable with FP and some planning.

**Typically are the parks still open later? Yes, they are often open until 9p - 10p or sometimes even later. EMH's can go until 12a or later (although these nights are usually packed).

cmsizzlin
03-19-2009, 09:50 AM
We are going in August as well the 15th thru the 20. Was there in August 07 and October 08 and truthfully the weather in Oct was just as hot. Told that was undeasonable for Oct but was 90 and humid. When we went in Aug of 07. The weather was definitely hot/humid but all in all it did not affect us in the least. We were on vacation and enjoyed every bit. I remember that the wait times for rides were not horrible and we did leave mid afternoon most days to take a swim break and nap the kids. We bought those misting fans for the kids and they were to excited to notice the heat. We all kept very hydrated and had no ill affects what so ever. We never had rain the 2 times we were there but we were prepared for rain w/ponchos and such.

Belster
03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Until this past October we have always traveled in August(17 years).

Weather: Very, Very Hot!!!! Humid too!!!! I would have to disagree that October heat is just as bad, the heat was nowhere near as intense. In August we NEED the water fans in October they stay in the room.

Rain: Rains each day...but don't worry it blows over very quick and coold things off a bit, but does make it more humid.

Crowds: Never thought that they were too bad until I just went in October, I can remember waiting for Splash Mt. and Space Mt. for over an hour.

Hours: The parks are open later than in the fall.

You will be at Disney and will enjoy your trip!!

MomTo3Tiggers
03-19-2009, 01:09 PM
As our kids got older, the end of August became the best time to go - cheaper, less crowded and we're not in school yet. It's hot. Really hot, but the joke in our family is "you're as Disney, so you better not complain!".

We do fine. Everyone carries a water bottle, kids who want to carry misters and - the one thing we learned - we pick attractions we wouldn't normally go on sometimes because they're air conditioned. It's the only way I got my kids willingly into the Hall of Presidents, and they want to go back this year!

We're thinking of trying the suggestions people made here about sit down meal for lunch and/or going back for a swim. We haven't in the past because the young ones couldn't stay up that late.

PixieMagic
03-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Keep em coming! These reviews are super helpful! My family has went in feb, march, april, may, and July before.....July being the most miserable because it rained non stop the entire week.... Then most recently I went with DH at the end of September - so having the extremes of July vs September weather - I am hoping August will at least be a little better? I am mostly worried for my mom...

SBETigg
03-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Keep em coming! These reviews are super helpful! My family has went in feb, march, april, may, and July before.....July being the most miserable because it rained non stop the entire week.... Then most recently I went with DH at the end of September - so having the extremes of July vs September weather - I am hoping August will at least be a little better? I am mostly worried for my mom...

August should be less crowded than July but with comparable weather. The rain is not always an issue, but it can be. I think August is rainier than July going by stats, but sometimes that's just a daily downpour and sometimes not. Hard to predict this far in advance.

Niecyboo
03-19-2009, 02:25 PM
My #1 suggestion: Pack more than one poncho per person! We do just fine this time of year, but have learned that Ponchos don't get time to dry out. We pack them in the morning, use them Mid-day, and then try and dry them over night in the resort. They next morning they would still feel wet, but we would still have to pack them. Now we take more than one set and that gives them an extra day to dry. They don't take up much room and we toss them at the end of the week. We don't feel guilty either, since they are well used by then!

PixieMagic
03-19-2009, 03:52 PM
My #1 suggestion: Pack more than one poncho per person!

Great suggestion!!!! I never would have thought of that and then would have had to spend souvenir money on over priced Disney ponchos! Thank you!!!

betteratmk
03-19-2009, 04:20 PM
:confused: How is the end of Sept.? We will be there Sept.26- Oct.3? Is it the same as August or will it have cooled a little?

PixieMagic
03-19-2009, 04:34 PM
End of September is fantastic! Very little rain - more moderate temp (still hot but not quite as humid and tops off around 85-90) There is so little crowds (even with free dining) that I was shocked beyond belief! The longest we EVER waited in line was 15-20min...and most rides we could walk right onto - even the big ones like space mountain, splash, test track, mission space, etc!! The only thing we had an issue with was all the love bugs - but they congregated in AK for the most part. You'll have so much fun!! If my sister weren't returning to school I would totally be going then instead of August!!! OH! And depending how late you go, you may find a preview of the food and wine festival right before you leave, so watch for it as it was amazing!! :cloud9:

WelshieLover
03-19-2009, 04:48 PM
We used to go in August, but our past trips have been in the winter (the weather is so nice then).

To survive in August we always stayed late into the night at any of the parks open late. We almost always would go back to the room during the middle of the day for a few hours and nap. I think the worst park for the heat is Animal Kingdom because so much of it is outdoors and the walkways are so narrow. So get to AK when it opens and leave around noon.

There were occasions when we were stuck in a pavillion at EPCOT for 20 - 30 minutes when it was downpouring. You make the best of it.

The heat makes it tough but I would still rather be at WDW than home heat or no heat!