PDA

View Full Version : Hot flashes??

DisneyLandMomma
03-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Anyone here experience hot flashes?? Can you explain to me what they feel like or does it sound like I'm having them to you??

My little background, I'm only 33 but had to have a hysterectomy last year to remove uterine cancer. They left my ovaries but said there was a chance I would start early menopause as sometimes after a hysterectomy, the blood supply to your ovaries is lost. My surgery was in August and the doctors told they wanted to wait to see if my body adjusted itself before they decided on hormones.

Anyway, the past few days, I have felt like I was getting a fever and figured I was getting sick. I was telling my hubby how I was feeling and he mentioned it may be hot flashes.

I know NO ONE in real life that has experienced them(yet) so I thought maybe I could get some help here.

So when I've had them, like I said, I feel like I'm getting a fever. My whole body just gets sooo hot starting at my face working down. I feel like way at least 10-15 minutes before I start to feel ok again. Does this sound like a hot flash?

Tinksalot
03-18-2009, 02:18 PM
I've been having "hot flashes" for a couple of years now. Usually I just get red faced and sweaty. In the middle of the night I have to throw the covers back because I'm sweating. It doesn't feel like I have a fever though.
Hopefully this helps. :-o

LauraleeH
03-18-2009, 03:11 PM
My mom thought she was in menopause for years, she's always hot and keeps our house freezing! But not too long ago she experienced something that worried her, a real hot flash. Her whole body felt like it was on fire and she couldn't walk, she had to sit down and almost threw up. I guess everyone's bodies are different, so hot flashes may differ, but I'd imagine it makes you feel like you're suffering from a heat stroke.

Buddy08
03-18-2009, 03:35 PM
I refer to myself as the hot flash queen! It starts with my heart starting to beat real hard and fast, then my face and neck get real red and then I break out in a sweat all over my body. I have had as many as 20 in one day and the night sweats are really bad too. They do get better but there are a number of things that can be taken to help. Prescription hormones are one route to take but you have to be careful of your family history for breast cancer. You could try Black Kohosh or other over the counter remedies. I would talk to a health care professional and see what they recommend.:secret:

crazypoohbear
03-18-2009, 07:15 PM
There are as many symptoms as there are women. Because you have had a hysterectomy I would recommend that you call your ob/gym and get in for a checkup. There is a blood test that they can do to see where you are in this wonderful :ack: phase of life.
I get sweaty and feel like the heat has been turned up but I dont' feel feverish, but, like I said everyone is different. good luck

DisneyLandMomma
03-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am planning on seeing my doctor soon as I've had some other symptoms of my hormones being out of whack ( :mad: :( :blush: ) I just haven't gotten around to making the appt.

Marilyn Michetti
03-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Mine feel like prickly heat, only wet. You'd think at my age, (65), they would begin to subside, but we live in Az., so I'm not sure I'll know when it happens.:D

Boojum
03-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately, I think they're different for everybody. There are no "one-size-fits-all" symptoms.

The first time I had one, I was driving. I felt this explosion of heat start in the middle of my chest and go all the way up to the top of my head. I broke out in a sweat and my heart started pounding. My face got really red, too.

I went to the doctor because the heart pounding thing scared me--he did the blood test and told me it was hot flashes brought on by early stages of menopause.

Fortunately, I don't get them often.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Sounds like hot flashes to me. Try an over the counter medicine called Estroven. It has black cohosh and soy which is supposed to help.

pixiesmimi
03-24-2009, 09:54 PM
I started having menopause symptoms when I was in my 40's. I had hot flashes, and that sounds like what you are having, but mine were not that terrible (or as bad as others have described). They were just inconvenient more than anything. I did have terrible night sweats though. I didn't take any medication or hormones because I have a family history of breast cancer. I managed to get through all of it and after a couple of years, they went away. Once in a great while now I have night sweats but no more hot flashes, thank goodness. :) Everyone is different but you do "grow" out of it after a while most of the time. I'm only in my 50's now and don't have any more problems. So maybe yours will be short lived also.

DisneyLandMomma
03-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies...it sounds like everyone who has experienced them is different.

Knock on wood but since I last posted, I haven't experienced any. :thumbsup: We were getting ready for a big birthday party here so maybe it was a bit stress related. LOL