PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else put off "other things" so they can go to WDW?

Gregandmel
03-18-2009, 09:08 AM
I was curious to know how many other people (like myself) have a laundry list of items they need to do (like house maintenance, etc...) but will put it off so they can go to WDW??? We went in October (our 1st trip) and thought it would be our "one and only", however, I am busy planning another one! There are SO MANY things in our house that need to be fixed and well...quite frankly....I don't care too much. Our kids are 8 & 18 and they won't be "kids" forever. So, we decided to make our list, and tackle a few things at a time so it doensn't take ALL our extra $$. Am I the only one? (Moderator - feel free to move this if there is a better place for this thread)

Mickey91
03-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Anything that is possible to put off...:mickey:

vicster
03-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Nothing stands in my way...

gauvin4
03-18-2009, 10:30 AM
We have done that as well. I like making memories with our kids and don't want to say later in life "I wish I had spent more time and done more things with my children." My kids will be 15 & 18 in a few months and I don't regret any family vacation we have taken.

Goofeygal
03-18-2009, 10:50 AM
We do that all the time. Let me see new carpet or a trip to WDW. A no brainer for me.:mickey::blush:

Gooftroop5
03-18-2009, 11:18 AM
We are putting off stuff this year. There are a few things we can't ignore so they will be done on the house this year but new furniture, redoing the living room, some yard improvements are all on hold.

I agree kids are only little for such a short time. We went last year & had a some problems with the extra people that went with us. We feel the kids got so cheated so we are going this year again. It won't be too long before the whole atmosphere changes.

TheVBs
03-18-2009, 12:15 PM
We definitely put stuff off!

Dsnygirl
03-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Count us in... we've got quite a laundry list of stuff that could be done, and we'll do a few minor things... but the big stuff? Definitely on hold this year so we can try to make our October trip work.

Our girls have never been for Halloween (DH & I have) and they're going to be 8 & 11, old enough to really enjoy the magic of it and not be too embarassed to dress up. As well, it's our 15th wedding anniversary, and we really want to enjoy and evening at the F&W Festival, sans kids, who are excited to go play at the BC for a few hours. :)

So, the household stuff waits -- and although the economy certainly comes into play w/ our decision, my DH recently said, "We really need something to look forward to, and if we can come out of this thing (the economic downturn) mostly unscathed, we deserve a time to party & relax!!" :thumbsup:

joonyer
03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
We do that all the time. Let me see new carpet or a trip to WDW. A no brainer for me.:mickey::blush:

My DW has been wanting new carpet for the past six years, but trips to WDW keep getting in the way! :D

Figment78
03-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Once, we got a quote for finishing our basement and our immediate response was, "Ah, no thanks, that's like, 4 WDW vacations! We can store our boxes in an unfinished basement for a bit longer!" :funny:

texasteacher
03-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Oh my gosh, yes.
People tell me that I should do this or that instead of go on my Disney trips. They just don't get it.
I started a tradition of going almost yearly to WDW with my son after my divorce 18 years ago. I needed a safe family place that a single girl could go with a small child. WDW was the place! Yes, I could have paid off my college loans or bought a new car, but our Disney trips have been priceless. We have never regretted a penny spent.
Our tradition will continue, hopefully, for many years. I just sacrifice things during the year, so I can do my Disney trip. I cannot always make it there every year, but have gone at least every other year. This year, my now 22 year -old son will be going with me again (even though he lives on his own now) and he is bringing his fiance with him.
The way I see it, everything of worth is worthy of a little sacrifice.

Figment78
03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Oh my gosh, yes.
People tell me that I should do this or that instead of go on my Disney trips. They just don't get it.
I started a tradition of going almost yearly to WDW with my son after my divorce 18 years ago. I needed a safe family place that a single girl could go with a small child. WDW was the place! Yes, I could have paid off my college loans or bought a new car, but our Disney trips have been priceless. We have never regretted a penny spent.
Our tradition will continue, hopefully, for many years. I just sacrifice things during the year, so I can do my Disney trip. I cannot always make it there every year, but have gone at least every other year. This year, my now 22 year -old son will be going with me again (even though he lives on his own now) and he is bringing his fiance with him.
The way I see it, everything of worth is worthy of a little sacrifice.

What a wonderful "story"! Thank you for sharing that!

kemps@wdw
03-23-2009, 12:41 AM
When I read this thread, I had to think long and hard before I answered it. You see, my sacrifce is more of the physical kind. I am a breast cancer survivor, going on 8 yrs! :yay: And I had decided, after many years of putting it off, to finally proceed w/my reconstruction surgery. However, we, like everyone else, did not plan on the current state of the economy. Long story short, surgery or WDW. DH and DD said surgery, since I've waited so long, but ultimately, it was my decision! And I chose WDW! My DD is turning 16 and I want as many family vacas I can get before she leaves for college, and this year is our 30th wedding anniversary, and as we had our honeymoon, our 10th, and 25th anniversary @ the World, so where else would we spend it? You see, WDW is more than just a vacation destination for us! Besides, I can get new boobs anytime! :D

Magic Smiles
03-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Sure have. I live by spend it today as you don't know what tomorrow will bring. I have seen too many people put off vacations, etc and have died without ever taking them.
One day I will get that $10,000.00 patio out back, but for now we take wonderful family vacations. My lawn furniture does just fine on the grass.

tannermansmom
03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Oh yeah we put things off. My husband has been wanting a pole barn since we bought our house five years ago. He says he has too much "stuff" and really needs one. Every year he puts off getting the barn b/c he is too excited about taking our son to Disney. I guess I am one lucky gal! I came home from work this afternoon and they were looking at Disney videos on youtube. (DS was sick today:ill:) The first thing he said to me was, "I am sooo ready to go to Disney". Only 47 days!

Tinkerfreak
03-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Ok mine is a bit different. I have put off getting a job because it would interfere with our trips to Disney. We have always pulled the kids out of school to go and we own our own construction business so DH being the boss can schedule time off when he needs it. If I went back to a 9 to 5 job 5 days a week with limited vacation time and limits on when you can take it it would make our schedule less flexible. We have always gone during value season and during lower crowds.
I do lots of paperwork for our business I guess its an unpaid job (I like getting paid in Disney trips) but if I went back to work for someone else I might get benefits but my time with my kids at Disney is priceless and as long as we can afford it I will stay a Stay at Home Mom.

cer
03-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Yes, we are putting off things on our home that need to be fixed. Our kids are only little once and that is fading fast. There may come a time when they might not want to go or might not be able to go. So, yes, we are putting off things in order to take our trip to Disney...

AdventurerKim
03-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I'd rather be in WDW then doing almost anything else! :mickey:

tys_mommy
03-27-2009, 08:06 AM
I swap out other vacations for Disney. I have a bucket list of places I want to visit and see but if I can go to Disney those other places can wait.

Hubby isn’t the Disney fanatic that I am (luckily for me the boys are though), since we went 2 times last year we made a deal to not return for 4 years. Our plan was to take a week and go camping in Ohio next year, that is until my cousin decided her family wanted to go to Disney and camp next year and mentioned to us about tagging along – needless to say Ohio can wait.

sleepingbooty
04-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Oh yes, we definitely put things off so we can go to Disney. I guess I don't look at it that way, though - I just plan our vacation budget, and figure out how much we need to put each month towards it. Just like I do with other bills. I suppose if I didn't spend on Disney every year then we'd have extra money that probably would go towards home repairs. But I've never sat down and weighed whether to do one or the other. Til hubby says no, Disney is a given!

BMan62
04-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I swap out other vacations for Disney. I have a bucket list of places I want to visit and see but if I can go to Disney those other places can wait.

Just did that. Canceled a Bahamas cruise to take advantage of 'free' DDP offer!!