PDA

View Full Version : Anyone sew?

PrettyMinnie
03-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Ok, I don't need a fantastic seamstress, but I am trying to make a one seam dress with smocked fabric. (It's the elastic smocking on top around the bust) I have never attempted this before so do you think it's doable? it doesn't need to be made for a few months yet. Any suggestions, tips, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

murphy1
03-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Hey there, I'm a freelance seamstress/designer. You can check out my homepage if you want, just click on me. If I can help, I'd be happy to.
Did you get it at Wal-Mart or Jo-Ann (the shirred fabric?) I made a bunch of those for my girls last Summer, they are great!
These are pretty easy to do, even for beginners. I do a 3/8" seam up the one whole side and then serge it (but you don't need a serger, that is a machine that cuts the fabric as it encases the seam). Another tip, buy the bias tape that Wright's makes in a similar color for the straps and then tie them at the shoulders. The only measurement on this type of dress you would need is chest and how long you want it.

kakn7294
03-18-2009, 04:54 PM
I knew Shari would be along to help you! She's great and her outfits are beautiful! Good luck to you!

PrettyMinnie
03-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks! I bought fabric at Jo-Anns. Thank you so much for the suggestions!