PDA

View Full Version : Universal Mounts Competition vs DCL

Ed
03-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Universal, Royal Caribbean team up for theme park-cruise packages

By Jason Garcia
Sentinel Staff Writer

10:32 AM EDT, March 17, 2009

Universal Orlando and Royal Caribbean International are teaming up to offer vacation packages that combine a theme park visit with a cruise out of Port Canaveral.

The "Way More Than a Cruise" packages will pair three- or four-night stays at Universal with a three- or four-night Bahamian cruise aboard Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas or a seven-night Caribbean sailing aboard the Freedom of the Seas. The packages include hotel and shipboard accommodations, multi-day passes to both Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure, admission to some CityWalk venues and ground transfers between airport, hotel, theme parks and Port Canaveral.

Bookings are open for travel beginning March 31. Universal and Royal Caribbean will be competing directly with Walt Disney World and Disney Cruise Line, which have carved out a lucrative niche combining land-and-sea vacations.

" Universal Orlando Resort is thrilled to enter this partnership, bringing together two incredible experiences to create one memorable vacation," Bill Davis, president and chief operating officer for Universal Orlando Resort, said in a written statement. "Our guests will not only enjoy some of the most entertaining theme-park attractions ever created, but also the world-class experiences and service Royal Caribbean is known for delivering."

ElenitaB
03-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Let's see... what was that pledge we made at Whispering Canyon Café?

One thing though... I'm surprised that Universal didn't cut this deal with Carnival.

TammiMcMan
03-18-2009, 05:17 PM
One thing that may appeal to guests, is that they have the choice to either go on the cruise first, followed by the parks or go to the parks first and then cruise. Right now, Disney doesn't offer that flexibility with their land/sea.

It will be interesting to compare pricing. Might be a good alternative.

TheTexasKid
03-19-2009, 07:32 PM
I think this is probably good for both Universal and Royal Caribbean. I just wonder what took either of them so long to come up with the deal.

As for Walt Disney World and Disney Cruise Line, this might have some minor effect on them, but I don't see it having any major effect, as there doesn't seem to be much overlap with the clientel between Universal-Royal Caribbean and Walt Disney World-Disney Cruise Line.