PDA

View Full Version : TOT w/ earplugs & blindfold?

Young@Heart
03-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Has anyone seen this done? My DD loved this ride last year, but HATES the "lightning kids" (what she calls the hologram people). She really wants to go on it again this summer (she'll be 6), but doesn't want to see them or hear the talking once she's seated on the ride. She loves the drop, though. :confused: I was thinking she could try a little blindfold, like the ones you sleep with, and earplugs during the seated part.

cgriff
03-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I want to say that there ought to be a way to teach your DD a life lesson here, about facing one's fears, about enduring something that you do not think is pleasant so as to achieve a goal or reward.... ;however, to answer your question, no I've never seen anyone do TOT with earplugs and a blindfold before.

Luv4WDW
03-16-2009, 10:31 PM
What about just having her close her eyes? Then you would have one less thing to worry about carrying into the park. You could just put the earplugs in your pocket! I've never seen this done either, but if that's what she's comfortable with, go ahead. It's Disney and I'm sure things like this have been done before :)

NotaGeek
03-16-2009, 10:36 PM
If the ear plugs fall out of her ears, I would hate to have them hit another guest.

I would say if she can't ride the ride with eyes closed and put her hands on her ears, maybe she's not old enough for the ride?

Tigerinvestigator
03-16-2009, 11:26 PM
I think your DD might be more traumatized by the people making fun of her wearing a blindfold than by the ghosts....or optical illusions:thumbsup:. I have seen people be absolutely ruthless to people (even kids) who take the chicken exit!:blush:

Young@Heart
03-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. :mickey:
Just wondered if anyone's actually seen that on TOT before.
We bring earplugs (which are actually those earmuffs that wrap around the back of your head) for DD at each park, and have for the last 2 trips. She is extremely sensitive to noises, so they help muffle things for her. She's wears them during most of the shows and some of the rides.
I can't say she's not "old enough" for TOT, since she went on when she was 5 and LOVED it. I had her watch a youtube video of it before our trip, so she'd know what to expect, and she was great! She was sad when the drops were over and wanted to go on again.
I can see her not liking the holograms. My DS who is 13 doesn't like them either. In fact, that part freaks me out a little, too. :blush:
I think we'll just have to do what works for our family. :thumbsup:

KylesMom
03-17-2009, 12:01 AM
I think we'll just have to do what works for our family.
Yep, you just gave yourself the best advice possible!

As a family, we went on ToT for the first time last July. DS was 10 1/2, and I was 42. Who do you think was the screamer? :mickey: Up to that point, DS would not have thought it possible that I could scream that loud! Like Mickey says in Fantasmic, "Some Imagination, Huh?" Go with what works for you.

For me, it was a pure adrenaline rush. However, if you would blindfold me and put earplugs in, I'd be absolutely terrified because of my imagination!

joonyer
03-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Hey the next time, I ride ToT, I think I'll wear a blindfold and earplugs. That might give the ride a whole new "dimension". :covered: :jaw:

NotaGeek
03-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. :mickey:
Just wondered if anyone's actually seen that on TOT before.
We bring earplugs (which are actually those earmuffs that wrap around the back of your head) for DD at each park, and have for the last 2 trips. She is extremely sensitive to noises, so they help muffle things for her. She's wears them during most of the shows and some of the rides.
I can't say she's not "old enough" for TOT, since she went on when she was 5 and LOVED it. I had her watch a youtube video of it before our trip, so she'd know what to expect, and she was great! She was sad when the drops were over and wanted to go on again.
I can see her not liking the holograms. My DS who is 13 doesn't like them either. In fact, that part freaks me out a little, too. :blush:
I think we'll just have to do what works for our family. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

You left out the part where you use the earplugs all the time anyway, so all you have to do is get her to close her eyes and she's home free. I am glad you found a way for your daughter to enjoy the parks within her comfort zone! :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
03-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I think your daughter's fears are not uncommon; my son (who is now 16) found the hologram and window shattering part of ToT unnerving when he was younger (maybe he still does, but he would never admit it!) He would either close his eyes or force himself through it because he also loved the drop. So if wearing ear plugs and covering her eyes during the scary part is what she needs to do, then I think you've found your solution. :mickey:

Imagineer1981
03-17-2009, 11:24 AM
As a kid, I was terrified of the ghosts in Haunted Mansion. Then on the next family trip, I didn't want to go on the ride. My dad told me something very cool. He said "look all around, do you see everyone coming off the ride?, they are all smiling aren't they? Disney World is a very magical place and they would never make anything that could ever hurt you. Think of everything you've riden today, did you ever feel unsafe?"

Don't know why, but saying that made me get over my fear. Everything else at Disney was so cool and happy and fun, so there was no way anything could "get me". I rode the ride, my dad sat by me and pointed at things in the ride, like that the clock has a 13 and the guys shooting each other in the paintings, and so on. Instead of being a ride of fear, it became a ride of discovery.