PDA

View Full Version : Dog Owners

Celestria
03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
I have a question for all of you dog owners out there. In may, my grooming shop will open and we are going to sell some things. I own 2 cats and don't know what dogs and dog owners like to get. Please help me on any of these topics, even one word answers are fine.

treats
toys
clothes
other items (cologne, collars, food, ect.)

please tell me what type of item you would get or even if you don't think something should be sold. thank you in advance for your help!

Princess'Mom
03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
My husband is a potter and a local grooming shop in our area requested Spaniel Bowls. They specially shaped water bowls that keep long ears out of the water. He made several of them and they were great hits in the shop. PM me if you have questions about them.

VWL Mom
03-16-2009, 07:41 PM
My dog's favorite is a peanut butter biscuit. He gets one every time we go to the vet.

sportsguy2315
03-16-2009, 08:44 PM
I say yes to treats and toys.

PirateLover
03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Kong toys are always popular for dogs.

Scar
03-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Please forgive me in advance in case I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but...

Are you going to own and operate a pet grooming shop in two months, and you have never owned a dog?

I say yes to treats and toys.Down boy, down! ;)

Celestria
03-16-2009, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=Scar;1850547]Are you going to own and operate a pet grooming shop in two months, and you have never owned a dog?QUOTE]

1. i never owned a dog because the pet that my parents would buy for my brother and me was a cat

2. pet grooming doesn't mean dog only. this can be cats, dogs, birds, and some small animals (all of which i know how to do).. but toys and treats are usually sold for dogs in shops. just not the ones i've worked at.

i didn't take what you said badly.. i just wanted to point that out. besides, my neighbors have had dogs, as my cousins and aunt and uncle. besides after 900 credit hours monday through friday for 5 months from an aclaimed school, plus extra experience out in the field (other stores), you don't need to own a dog, cat, or any animal. just love them. for a loving touch is the most important part of grooming.

vorpalswrd
03-17-2009, 12:49 AM
clothes for italian greyhounds (and other small dogs) yay!:thumbsup:

tjstrike
03-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Brushs
nail clippers
flea shampoo - any kind of flea product
any kind of de-wormer
dog food
dog treats - mine like any thing w/ chicken or pork
rawhide strips
cloth bone - toy

DizNee143
03-17-2009, 08:57 AM
id say alittle bit of everything..
bones - Milkbone, Beggin strips, Canine Carry Outs (all the dogs my family has had LOVED these), Greenies dental bones, Dingo rawhides (my dog now loves these), Meaty Bone..
theres a bunch out there..then there are alot of 'natural' type treats..people seem to be getting into that alot...i know my parents are big on dried sweet potato treats for there dog..
then of course..some toys..plush squeaky ones, tennis balls, nylon bones, etc..
if your a grooming place..i would definetly sell..
brushes, shampoo, things of that sort...
maybe a few beds and crates..
there are endless possibilities...
goodluck with the opening!!!! :mickey:

laprana
03-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I know one thing my dog absolutely LOVES is Greenies! He gets one every day, and boy is he happy when he sees it come out of the box! He does his "greenie dance!" :D I know that you can buy large boxes of them and they all come individually wrapped, so that might be something you could have sitting out on the checkout counter. Kong treats and Dingo bones are also popular, and organic and healthy snacks might be good to offer, too. Best of luck with your new shop!! :thumbsup:

Celestria
03-17-2009, 10:24 AM
thanks everyone.. i'm still interested in what everyone is saying. i juist want to point out one little thing. if i'm a groomer i don't want to sell any type of shampoo. i want them to come to me to get their dogs washed. otherwise, you lose half your business.

DisneyDog
03-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Not selling shampoo makes sense. But, brushes would still make sense. Dogs need to stay neat and tidy between grooming sessions.

See if you can find someone who makes speciality dog treats. You know, the kind that look like real people food. Maybe sell them wrapped as gifts or in baskets.

Have you ever considered doing doggie daycare along with the grooming? That's a big deal these days. That would keep them coming back for grooming more often. Maybe even having someone come in and do puppy obedience training, if you have the space.

Stitchahula
03-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi I'm a groomer to (not working a the present time). I also had my own shop (when DS was diagnosed I pretty much shut down to take care of him). Since you are just starting out don't go all out that doesn't make sense. Have a few chew toys, a few treats, definately have brushes (slickers, curry's, maybe a shedding blade and a couple of combs). Look through your grooming supply catalog and see which type of collars & leashes you like, then get only few of few of each style and size to keep costs down. If they sell you know to restock if not then you aren't out much. Some people want a new collar when you show them that the one they have on their dog now could walk out of the shop on it's own. I know you didn't ask but I'm going to give you some advice that a grooming instructor gave me, be honest with your client they will trust you more if you are. I don't mean say oh my god bruno wanted to kill me just that bruno was too happy with having his nail, ears what ever done that way if there is ever a problem they won't say but that's never happened before. Also if you have to strip a dog down because of matting save the fur so incase the owner complains you can show them just how bad it was. Good Luck!

RenDuran
03-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Selling the same stuff that everyone in town is selling isn't going to bring in much business. You can find basic stuff in most general stores these days, so you need to find stuff that is really going to stand out. Try going to a trade show that deals with pet items. Even selling things that aren't directly for the pets, but for their owners. A shop I used to go to had the coolest items like clocks, handmade knick knacks for around the house, and neat paper goods. They were breed specific, so that may or may not work in a small shop, but a lot of pet owners tend to love a specific breed. I know I'm partial to German Shepherds.

Also, I disagree that selling shampoo will necessarily cut down business. I worked in a groom shop that sold grooming supplies...a lot of people we catered to travelled with their show dogs. They did plenty of on-the-road grooming, even after we had done work in the shop. We also had pets that we couldn't easily groom, so their owners would do them theirselves.

Good luck!

jrkcr
03-17-2009, 12:28 PM
BREATHIES! All natural chicken "bacon" with mint and parsley.

We break it up and stuff it into our dogs kong, or just toss it in the air for her. It realllly helps with dog breath!!!

Why have a clean smelling dog with stinky breath?

Good Luck with your business!
:dog::puppy::cat:

RenDuran
03-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Why have a clean smelling dog with stinky breath?

Very, very true!

Celestria
03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
brushes make sense. i guess my main problem is i KNOW i'm going to have a small stock of merchandise, i just don't know WHAT to get. and i can't go all out yet like outfits, food, brushes, things of that sort.... mainly because i can't afford the initial stock. i'm thinking those greenies treats, some other treat, and one type of toy. i still have a TON of other stuff to buy.

Celestria
03-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Have you ever considered doing doggie daycare along with the grooming? That's a big deal these days.

i'm not sure how many people know this but a doggy day care is very dangerous. here is why. not every dog is friendly towards others. you can have the sweetest dog, an angel around everyone, but when with another dog it turns evil and attacks another dog. someone has to be watching them all the time and even then they might not be able to stop a fight. then another dog get's injured. the only way to stop that is for each dog to have it's own caged off area. most people go to a day care so their dogs don't have to be in cages. these events can unfortunatly lead to law suits. one place i worked had this problem. now the owner of the attacked dog not only got money, but free grooms for life.

gabe1
03-18-2009, 09:55 AM
I just joined this site and this caught my eye as I went trolling to get to know the set up here.

I went to grooming school in 84/85. Been doing this a very long time, first as a hobby, then a PT job and for over 15 years owning my own Grooming Business.

The best lure I had for new customers was 'walk in nail trims welcome' put your best social foot forward. Make a big deal out of the pet and tell the owner they are welcome back anytime for a trim, bath or grooming. Amazing how many pet owners told others about this quick service. Price out slightly cheaper than the local vets.

And there are wonderful Doggy Daycares and bad as there are grooming business and kennels. My DF opened one in our small town this past year. They have various sections for different type of personalities. It has worked out well. Considering using one, just remember to do a spot visit unannounced, don't make an appointment.

So happy to have found fellow pet lovers on the site.:)

Tinkerfreak
03-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Wow I love the Spaniel Bowls idea. I had a spaniel and her ears were always dragging in her bowls. This would be good for any long eared breed.

I also agree on doing the walk in nail trimming. My Mom found a place that does this for her dog and once she went in she did end up switching to that shop for her grooming also. I think it would be a big draw. The vets charge alot of money for nail trims but if you can't do it yourself you have no choice. She tried the Pedi Paw thing and that did not work at all.

Stitchahula
03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Wow in all the places I worked I don't think we ever had to have appointments for nail trims or ear cleanings. You might also offer top knot trims for in between groomings so long as they aren't really dirty just a quick little trim to hold them until a full groom a few weeks later.

kakn7294
03-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Even though you will only have a small stock to begin with, you can still provide some things like bandanas and bows - people love to dress up their doggies and my own LOVES to wear her Steeler bandana. I think it makes her feel like she's dressed and part of the family. If you know someone who sews (or you do), you can purchase some inexpensive fabric and make your own so you have a unique collection that can't be purchased in other stores.

Personally, I wouldn't think of going to a groomer's for things like treats and toys. I think of things like brushes, shampoos, collars and leashes, and clothing items - but a higher end product that you wouldn't normally see at places like Wal-Mart, PetSmart, or the grocery store.

Good luck on your new business!!!

thrillme
03-18-2009, 09:57 PM
I agree with the previous poster in finding things that aren't "normally" offered.

Unusual styled clothes. Fashion leashes/collars...cool costumes for Halloween. Those "soft nails" especially for cats. Treats...

Maybe a photo service...People pay good bucks for pictures of their kids or themselves with their pets or just their pets alone all clean and shiny. With Digital photography these days it shouldn't take "much" of an investment. Start with some pretty fabric and a good photo printer...if it goes well expand from there.

Stitchahula
03-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't try the photo thing. Most animals do get stressed out at the groomers. It will show in the photo, it will also take time away from grooming which most groomers don't want to add even more work and stress to their day. At the end of some days your just happy to get out of your shop without being bitten (or tasted), peed or pooped on.

Cinderelley
03-20-2009, 06:50 AM
At the end of some days your just happy to get out of your shop without being bitten (or tasted), peed or pooped on.

I had to laugh at this. It sounded so much like my job as a nurse. :D

I like the idea of the treats that look like people food. I think most people like to give their pets snacks when they were "a good boy". Toys are good too.

Also, I think the leashes/collars would be cute, but they're kind've a one time sell. People won't be buying a new one next time they bring their pet in. The same thing with brushes.

What about matching accessories for owners and dogs? Fido's owner loves sports - offer matching football bandanas. Fluffy's mommy has a baby girl - matching bows for Fluffy & baby.

As a customer, I would have to say the best chance for it to work on me is when I'm dropping my dogs off. Something like -
"Which of these would you like me to put on Mydnyght when we are done grooming her?"
My response would be "I'll take the Dallas Cowboys bandana please."
You - "Oh, are you a Cowboys fan?"
Me - "No. My DH is."
You - "We have a special one for DH's. Would you be interested?" Yada. . . Yada. . . Yada
If you try to get me when I'm picking up my dogs, I've already got a million things I have to do after this on my mind, and I'll be trying to control two excited dogs. It definitely won't happen then. (I guess people with smaller dogs won't be so bad off. Mine are 73 lbs & 102 lbs. I'm only 128 lbs.)

Celestria
03-20-2009, 11:07 PM
eventually clothes and other things will be added, but first i need to work off the $5,000 or so it takes to get the equiptment. while a lot of what you said makes sense, i can't afford that big stuff right away.

when i was at school, they told us not to sell the following
-shampoo
-collars

Stitchahula
03-21-2009, 10:26 AM
I agree with shampoo, but collars and leashes would seem like a good idea. How many times have you been grooming a dog that desperately needed a new collar to go with that once a year groom whether they needed it or not. I would only have a couple of collars though not a huge assortment. Also leashes I can't count the amount of time a client came into my shop without a leash or with one that was hanging on by a thread because fido likes to chew on the leash. I understand all to well the start up price, do you have a wholesale place near you? I'm gonna pm you with some ideas of how I saved money when I started out.

gabe1
03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Initially I ordered a box of pigs ears and a box of assorted raw hide. http://www.petedge.com/generic.jsp?pageName=neserum
I ordered my dryers and crating systems from
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

I have these leads on hand for non-leased dogs.
Great advertisement. I have my shop name and phone number printed on these. Also good to put on cage shy dogs in crate.
http://www.petedge.com/Guardian-Gear-Kennel-Leads-6-Pack-TP88990.pro

Shampoo I sell however I mix my own to use.
I mix 3 different Lambert Kay. I've had customers return after going to kennels etc.
and comment how great the dogs smell after I bathe them vs other places. I get a lot of gravy dogs this way, like labs, pugs & boxers. The aroma lasts for weeks and keeps them coming back.

Feel free to ask anything you wish.