PDA

View Full Version : Disney Snobbery

PhantomTabitha
03-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Hi all, I just thought I'd post this question as it's something that bugs me from time to time, and I wondered if others ever experienced the same thing. It's the look on a lot of people's faces when you say with usual glee "I'm going to Disney World" it's a look that says 'why you going there, its just for kids, freak!' :confused: . I properly love disney and understand that it's not something thats for everyone (although I'm pretty sure that if they tried it just once, they'd LOVE it) however, if people say they are going somewhere on their hols I wouldn't like to go to I don't make funny faces and make comments so why do people feel they can do that to me??? Anyone else had this experience? I will always love Disney and be proud of it!

VWL Mom
03-16-2009, 06:12 PM
I know exactly what you mean. When I mention to my brother that we are going he gives me that look! They vacation every year in Cancun and I never say a thing about that.

BTW, :welcome: to Intercot.

Tigerinvestigator
03-16-2009, 06:18 PM
I usually don't get that face, rather the pouting dog please take me with you face. Actually thats the face I give people when they tell me they are going. Then I just smile, grit my teeth and wish it would rain on them everyday!:cool:

Tinkerbellaella
03-16-2009, 06:21 PM
My in-laws give us the same look. They do not understand the "magic". They do go to Mexico every chance they get...

CAS
03-16-2009, 06:29 PM
I know what you mean. Actually, I usually give the same confused look on my face when people say they're going to Mexico. I've done most of the common locations: Cancun, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, etc. Blechhhh...dirty, dangerous, alcohol infested, college driven tourist traps. :sick:

robnadina
03-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Boy I know how you feel. I got the look when I was so happy that I became a DVC member.
I have been to Mexico, Hawaii, the Carribean and even Austrailia. The best time DH & I have had has always been going to Disney. We are not people who like to bar hop, gamble or "party" in a certain sense. We are people who will travel to do what we know is enjoyable and have NEVER had a problem at either Disney parks. I tell everyone that they have to go to WDW at least once in their life. Dont worry about the look. These people are missing out.
Take Care

devoted93
03-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Just think of how long the lines would be if all of them were at the parks. Yikes.

Tinkerbellaella
03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Just think of how long the lines would be if all of them were at the parks. Yikes.

Good point... let's keep the "magic" a secret:secret:

Hull-onian
03-16-2009, 06:45 PM
:welcome: to Intercot. You will never get that reaction in here. We all love the fact that your going to Disney World:thumbsup:

Tinksalot
03-16-2009, 06:59 PM
I know that face! My husband looks at me that way when I mention anything about Disneyworld. His attitude is "I've been there and don't need to go back". I go every year! Yes, without him. I go with my daughters and grandchildren. My husband and I take our once a year trip together, but I NEED my "Disney fix" every year! :wave:

BMan62
03-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Important matters first...

:welcome: to the best Disney related discussion board on the 'Net!!

Now to your question: Absolutely. There seems to be a definite distaste toward my love of WDW and most things Disney, but I am finding more and more 'closet' Disney fans making opportunities to discuss our 'favorite obsession' at interesting times.

For example: my supervisor, just this morning, made a comment about WDW and how it is about time for a 'Team Building' exercise "off site." Couldn't agree with him more!!

GBBT
03-16-2009, 07:20 PM
:welcome: to the show.Glad you could make it.:D We've been trying to get my F-I-L and M-I-L(when she was alive)to go with us since 1997.We heard then and now with him,"I haven't lost anything at Disney World!" He's never been and has missed watching both of his grandsons joy there.:(

DawsonAR
03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
I get that look a lot along with "why do you go there all the time". They just don't get it! :secret:

Friend of Figment
03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
I've traveled all over the (real) world as a solo woman. People seem to think that is incompatible with my Disney adoration. I tell tem I have plenty of reality in my life (travel in the third world, teaching in a prison). I need some happy, magic to balance my life.

kid@heartforever
03-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Me and my husband get that all the time from family and friends. They just don't get it. But that's okay...just more magic for the rest of us!!!:mickey:

Young@Heart
03-16-2009, 08:01 PM
:welcome: to intercot! This is one place where you'll never get "that look" ! :thumbsup:

I know exactly what you're talking about. We'd much rather use our travel money toward a Disney vacation than any other place in the world. DH and I were talking about this the other day, and both agree that even when we're old and gray, we can't see any other place we'd rather go (at least not on a regular basis). That being said, none of our friends or family seem to understand this. :( The reaction when we tell them we're going to WDW "again" is less than enthusiastic to say the least. We've seen our fair share of eye rolling. But after a few years of this, I've stopped caring about their opinions and now just feel sorry that they've never experienced the magical feeling we have each time we drive through those gates. :cloud9:

MistressGracey999
03-16-2009, 08:04 PM
:welcome:

Don't worry about the nay-sayers! IMO, there are two types of people in the world. Those who love and appreciate the product that Disney has to offer, and those who don't. I think some adults are too jaded to enjoy anything whimsical and magical.

I'm a Disney freak, and I wave my freak flag proudly! You do the same! Don't let anyone spoil the magic for you...:magic:

Glad you're on the board...you'll find like-minded people here a-plenty. S'why I love it!:cloud9:

ASweetLov
03-16-2009, 10:54 PM
I get tons of "take me with you" looks

DisneyPrincess21
03-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Hi all, I just thought I'd post this question as it's something that bugs me from time to time, and I wondered if others ever experienced the same thing. It's the look on a lot of people's faces when you say with usual glee "I'm going to Disney World" it's a look that says 'why you going there, its just for kids, freak!' :confused: . I properly love disney and understand that it's not something thats for everyone (although I'm pretty sure that if they tried it just once, they'd LOVE it) however, if people say they are going somewhere on their hols I wouldn't like to go to I don't make funny faces and make comments so why do people feel they can do that to me??? Anyone else had this experience? I will always love Disney and be proud of it!

Hey don't feel bad, I get that look from my own father!
But I don't care because I truly Love Disney World! And if it make Me Happy then I don't care what other people think. :cool:

:welcome: You can always come here, We are all a bunch of "crazy obsessed Disney fans" So you won't get any "looks" from us :D :balloon:

DisneyPrincess21
03-16-2009, 11:05 PM
I think some adults are too jaded to enjoy anything whimsical and magical.

I'm a Disney freak, and I wave my freak flag proudly! You do the same! Don't let anyone spoil the magic for you...:magic:

LOL!! Couldn't have said it better myself! I totally agree that some people can't get pass the "i'm too old/good/cool" for Disney. Well I love Disney and it's the one time in life I can act like a kid and scream like a little girl on rides. :cloud9: And if that makes me a "freak" Well then SO BE IT!! :D
:giveup: (Oh btw. That's not a "surrender flag" it's My Freak Flag!!)

kemps@wdw
03-16-2009, 11:16 PM
OH...you mean the "don't you guys ever go anywhere else" look? :confused: After 15 trips in 30 years, we get that ALOT! But, we don't care. :razz: For us, WDW is more than just a vacation destination. Oh sure, we've gone other places for our vaca and enjoyed ourselves. But inevitably, at some point, we find oursevles saying, "shoulda went to WDW"!:thumbsup:

Tinkerbelly84
03-16-2009, 11:55 PM
I get the same reaction from several people. They just don't get it lol!

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
03-16-2009, 11:58 PM
:mickey: Oh yes, we know the "look". We have been lucky enough to travel many many times to WDW, first with our children and now with our children, son-in-law and grandchild. There is nowhere else like Disney! For many of us it is like "going home".

tjstrike
03-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Yupp, WDW is home away from home. Alot of people at my work say "Where ya going, o yeah stupid question, Disney World" when I put in for my vacation. They know the deal !! We're all kids inside, some just have a hard time showing it, I don't !!

Ribeyespud
03-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Sadly, the world is full of people like that. They left never land and "grew up". They forgot how to fly and how good it felt to be a lost boy (or girl). As a shipping supervisor I see "Professional" types all day long. While they make fun of those of us young at heart they forget to look in the mirror. I celebrate the fact that I am forever a lost boy and feel sorry for those who have never been touched by the magic or have grown old, selfish or cold as their hearts have become like stone....Seize the day my friend and take heart for you have a tender one...just the way God intended:thumbsup:

PhantomTabitha
03-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Oh you're all so lovely!! At last I have found like minded people (so far it's just me, my partner and my mum who are all disney freaks!). So many things that you have all said have rung so true for me. It feels just like going home for me too. I live in the UK and have quite a tough job working with mainly 'disadvantaged' young people so, as I believe one of you mentioned, I love having Disney as something to "balance" it all out. I was proud to Love Disney before but now I'm ultra ultra super proud!! I have also travelled to other places in the world but always go back to Disney in the end. I'd like to do all the parks, my aim is to have a set of ears from each. So far though I've only been to Florida and Paris (Florida 9 times and Paris last week!). We were supposed to be going to Florida in April but due to little ***** cat called Joe who needed some very expensive medicine, we've had to put it back to September. I hear September is a great time to go though and I just cannot Wait!!!! Thank you all for being so welcoming, I think I'm going to be very happy here indeed! :rocks: I will take no notice of 'the look' from now on! Viva la magic!:tink:

WDWRox
03-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Some people seem to think that you MUST go visit other countries or take a cruise or something.....and that if you say you're going to Disney World, well that's just ridiculous to them. Makes you want to slap them in the face when they start deriding your choice of vacation spot. For me, personally, Disney is the perfect vacation spot and I really could care less about going anywhere else (well, with the exception of a return trip to Hawaii again).

I say, if they wouldn't consider going to WDW for vacation, then there's a few people I won't have to worry about waiting behind in line one of the rides!

Dsnygirl
03-17-2009, 09:09 AM
:mickey: :welcome: to Intercot!! :mickey:

You are SO not alone... I get "that" look quite often, or the same kind of comments... the "Why do you always go there?" or "Again???" or "Why do you like it so much, isn't it just for kids?" (I got that one a LOT when my DH and I went on our own... it is SO not just for kids!! ;))

What I always have found funny is the fact that we also go to Maine every year... and no one ever bats an eye about that!! I have both Maine & Disney on my license plate, I have both buoys and Mickey hanging from my car mirror... but it is Disney/Mickey that gets people all frothed up about why we go!! As much as I love Maine, it is far easier to get bored there than Disney -- yet we always try to go... and everyone thinks that makes total sense. But Disney, where there is seemingly never enough time to do everything we'd like to do, no matter how long the trip... why would we go back??? :crazy:

We have been up in the air about a trip this fall, mostly for economic reasons, and so have been pretty quiet about it. But -- we're starting to gear up and get into the "we've just gotta go" mode -- and the looks have started... thank goodness I work with a bunch of Disney addicts just like me, or it'd get really old really fast!!

And btw -- you're going to love it here -- totally helps you get away from all the "we don't get it" folks and keeps the magic alive, esp. when you haven't been in awhile!! :thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
03-17-2009, 09:15 AM
People simply ask me "When you goin' this year?" . :mickey:

mickey&missy
03-17-2009, 09:16 AM
I think a lot of it is that too many grown ups are to grown up, if that makes sense. I think it's important to keep a little bit of a kid in you, to at least try to believe in the magic, and to make your own magic whenever you can!

A lot of people just don't get it!

Hayden's Dad
03-17-2009, 09:19 AM
:welcome: To Intercot. Always great to meet a fellow Disneyaholic. :D

I know exactly what you mean, except ours is with family. Our parents just don't understand. They think it is just outrageously expensive, and of course the always say "again?" So we wait til the last minute to tell them so we don't have to listen to it. Then it is off to Neverland!! :mickey:

LauraleeH
03-17-2009, 09:44 AM
You know what makes me angry is when you have a friend that has millions of dollars and refuses to spend any of it on Disney, only going when he can go for free, and then come back and tell me how it was and how lame the Magic Kingdom is and how he loves Epcot but would never ever go if he had to spend his own money to get in. And he does it in this tone of voice that gets on my nerves, because he knows how much I love Disney and he knows he just wants to have something to talk about. I finally told him he doesn't deserve to get in for free anymore, especially since he doesn't even care about the Parks. He told me he's going again soon, for free of course, and I told him I didn't want to hear a thing about it, and he gave me a smug look.

Now getting a look because I like Disney, well heck, I get looks for most of my choices anyways. But come on! Tell me you wouldn't want to slap this guy! :mad:

indytraveler
03-17-2009, 10:05 AM
:congrats: on finding us who won't give you that look

:welcome: to intercot

I get that look from friends who have never gone, but when they go for the first time I get called to help them out. Travel coordinator is part time job that I don't mind doing. Of course when they come back some still don't see the "magic" all they saw was lines and people. Can't please them all.

joonyer
03-17-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't know that I would call it "snobbery", but we get a similar reaction from our extended family when we make return trips to WDW. They act as if you've been there once (most of them have) there's no reason to go back again. :confused:
We do vacation at lots of other places as well so it's not like WDW is our only vacation destination, but they don't "get" why we want to go back so often (and that's not nearly as often as we would like). :mjump:

Dancer Mom
03-17-2009, 10:21 AM
DD (soon to be 14) is getting the HUH? from her friends at school. . . most have never been to Mickey's House and don't understand the attraction. Isn't that an amusement park for little kids?

MNNHFLTX
03-17-2009, 10:33 AM
My family and friends know better than to give me that look. ;)

You know, everybody has their "thing" that they like to do, especially with travel. My siblings and their spouses like to go on cruises for most of their vacations. When it's cold up in Minnesota they really look forward to heading to warmer climates and relaxing on a cruise ship. Now, I don't mind going a cruise here or there, but it is not my preferred type of vacation. So, to each their own.:)

garymacd
03-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Good point... let's keep the "magic" a secret:secret:

Heck, I've been trying to do that for years! Especially POFQ! I desperately try to keep a straight face when I say that it's not a nice place to stay.

As for snobbery, I have seen it from some of the guys on my crew. That is, until they go. One guy considered it a cult - until he went. Now he's a member of the cult, too.

Oh, I almost forgot. Actually, I did forget:

Welcome to Intercot! :welcome:

WDW_Obsessed
03-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Actually, I usually give the same confused look on my face when people say they're going to Mexico. I've done most of the common locations: Cancun, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, etc. Blechhhh...dirty, dangerous, alcohol infested, college driven tourist traps. :sick:

I agree! I would rather do Disney than any other beach location, and ESPECIALLY Mexico :D

Maybe it's just me, and everyone knows how much we love Disney, but people don't usually give me that look. Maybe they're just accustomed of the lecture they're going to get from me about it being such a great family friendly environment where you can enjoy warm weather, great rides, and learn some things all at the same time, if they give me that look!

drummerboy
03-17-2009, 10:52 AM
even when we're old and gray, we can't see any other place we'd rather go (at least not on a regular basis).
I am somewhat [ahem] old and gray :old:, and I agree. DW and I do like to go to other places from time to time, but our favorite, since the first trip in 1976, is WDW. Next time you get that look, just say, "Oh, I'm glad I'm not that jaded yet," and give them an enigmatic smile.

Imagineer1981
03-17-2009, 11:08 AM
I get it all the time from coworkers. They think its just a kids place. In fact I know people who skip Fantasyland because they think its only for kids, and others who skip MK for that same reason....:confused:

Keasmom
03-17-2009, 11:14 AM
I usually don't get that face, rather the pouting dog please take me with you face. Actually thats the face I give people when they tell me they are going. Then I just smile, grit my teeth and wish it would rain on them everyday!:cool:

I know that feeling, but I always offer to help with scheduling, ADR's, and offer any tips I have, I try to make their trip as magical as possible. So my next trip is magical as well. That said, my SIL goves me that look, HA, I never roll my eyes when they are going to another civil war battlefield, or when they plan a vacation that involves deer hunting. I just smile the ultimate dumb blonde smile, and nod like a bobblehead.

Remember that golden rule, you reap what you sow. If you wish rain on their trip, you will get rain on yours, so be nice like a CM would be and share your best secret.

Non Disney people have not planned to fail, they have just failed to plan, or research the mystery behind the magic that makes it so incredible for the rest of us.

FenwayGirl
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I know how you feel TInksalot.
My husband would rather die than go into a disney park. His last (and only)trip was 1981~~But he is happy to let me go and take my grown kids and grandkids.:thumbsup:

DisneyCouple07
03-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I get the look too. My parents look at me a little funny when I talk about WDW. My friends and some co-workers really give me a look (but they all come running to me when they have WDW or trip questions). And my DW also gave me the look before we were married. But, in my DW defense, she suggested WDW for our honeymoon (after my suggestions of Tahiti, Hawaii, Italy...). And once she went to the MK, she was converted! (now I give her funny looks, jk) :mickey:

Ksmith75
03-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Yes! We get the same thing. I get it from friends and people I work with. The whole "but you dont have any kids" thing we get all the time too. My husband and I are in our early 30s and we have gone the past 2 years and are going next month. And when we try to plan on going somewhere else - we always end up doing disney. It is the BEST PLACE ON EARTH! When we think about other places - they all seem boring. We know when we go to Disney it is a happy place, with lots of fun things to do and great restaurants - why go somewhere else. Everyone else can go to their all-inclusives and beach vacations - I dont mind - keeps them out of Disney!

Marilyn Michetti
03-17-2009, 11:55 AM
We ALWAYS get that from DD. First, it's a "sigh", followed by, "don't you guys EVER go anywhere else"?:unsure:

Sorry, but we're Sr. Citizens, and we happen to love going to Disney. We don't hike, or scuba, or camp. Riding by large trees and rocks and going "ahhhhhhhhhhh"???????? What is that? :down:

Disney is familiar and comfortable. We're perfectly happy sitting on the porch on Main St. and having a box of popcorn. We do the parks at our pace, and neither of us whine much.:popcorn:

We are thinking about a cruise in June of 2010 to Alaska, but we'll see!:cool:

TiggerD
03-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I too, have received the look of Why are you going again? People who have never experienced the magic of Disney, have no clue as to what it is like. Started going in 1985 and have gone every two years since, first by ourselves, then with our children and now with our grand children. You get a fresh prespective when you see it through others eyes. My mom goes to Maine 3 times a year, and I never give her the look.:mickey:

Charlee
03-17-2009, 12:39 PM
As other posters have said welcome - I noticed that your location is Yorkshire - good to see someone else from Yorkshire on the boards!

Yes as a twenty something, I always get this look as I should be going to a party place and getting drunk but all I want is Disney! My parents get this response too - people say they should travel around Europe or go to somewhere else in America but I think they will always go to Disney!

AdventurerKim
03-17-2009, 12:44 PM
When I tell people who don't know me that I go to WDW often, they look at me like I just grew a third eye or something since my DH and I don't have kids. From people who know me, whenever a holiday or break is coming up, they assume we're going to WDW, which is not always the case. We do go other places. Very few people get why we go to WDW so often, but we don't care. We love it! 87 days and counting til we're back! :mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
03-17-2009, 01:26 PM
I used to get that alot from my parents. So last year we treated them to a trip to WDW and . . . voila. . . a new set of Disney fans! :D
When we mentioned this year that we are going down ~ my Dad's face lit up and he said "Can we go eat at Boma??":rotfl:
Sometimes they just don't understand how cool WDW is!
And yes ~ they are coming with us at Christmas:thumbsup:

Nascfan
03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!

I know the look. And you know what? Most the time it's from people who go to the same place year after year after year, like Cancun or one of those places like that. Sort of the pot calling the kettle black, eh?

I've seen many more looks like mentioned above though, the sad puppy dog face of "take me with you, PLEASE?" I like that look much better. :D

brownie
03-17-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't worry about what others think about it. I think part of the issue is that Disney is equated with kids for a lot of people (my bride does keep telling reminding me that I really haven't grown up when it comes to Disney, though.)

Mousemates
03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Not only have I seen that look....I used to give it. Some people (like Mrs. Mousemates) are born with an extra "I love WDW" chromosome, for others (like me) its an acquired taste. Don't sweat the stares, that just means there will be one family fewer to beat to the fastpasses for TSM. :mickey:

Nutmeg6686
03-17-2009, 02:47 PM
One word: jealousy!! It's near impossible to be able to explain how great Disney is without having been there to experience the magic yourself.

MistressGracey999
03-17-2009, 03:04 PM
When my DH and I first married, he knew I was a Disney nut, but had never been himself. Being young and poor and (he) in college, it was a few years before we got to go to WDW together. I was SO afraid that he wouldn't like it, and I would get the "I don't get it " look...I envisioned a lifetime of seperate vacations.:(

But on our very first day at the Magic Kingdom, he stopped and looked around Main Street, and said, "I could stay here all day!"...I was thrilled!! The day only got better as he and our sons were BLOWN AWAY by PotC, The Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, EVERYTHING! DH later confided to me that he thought WDW would be just like Kings Dominion or similar, just nicer and with a Mickey Mouse motif. How wrong!

Now we look forward to going every year, and we have no plans in thr forseeable future to go anywhere else on our yearly "big trip".

BTW, DisneyPrincess, love your "freak flag"..LOL

Goes4FastPass
03-17-2009, 03:11 PM
I used to fret about people who think Walt Disney World is just the Magic Kingdom (which in itself is pretty darn swell).

But following discussions among Disney fans I see another kind of what could be called snobbery. The view that WDw is the be-all end-all only place worth visiting in the whole by golly world and people who waste their time going anywhere else just aren't turned in to the "magic".

There was actually a discussion post once that said, "Why would someone go to all the way to Africa when the Animal Kingdom Lodge is...

wait for for it

...more authentic."

I encourage people who haven't tried WDW - including those who last rode Dumbo 20 years ago - to go back again and have a great time... and those who never go any place else should spin the globe and spend some frequent flyer miles.

Much as I like seeing the Temple Of Heaven in EPCOT I'm jazzed to say in 46 days we're visiting the Temple of Heaven built 70 years before Columbus took his Caribbean vacation.

DisneyDudet
03-17-2009, 03:12 PM
I get this all the time. People outside of work are just jealous, but they never say anything negative, at least to our faces!

At work, is it PURE jealousy. Yes, I have been going every couple of months since September, but that is because we have an AP this year and I have lots of vacation time. They want to be able to go places and things, so they are jealous. They act like I'm crazy when I go, even referring it as a drug for me. I love going and not having to worry about work and drama of life. I go to a place where I'm truly happy, and they can tell a difference in me when I come back.

I may be crazy, but I'm the happiest person I know. I'm glad you found a place where you belong, because this place has helped me realize I'm not alone, either. Enjoy your time, and who cares about those unhappy, jealous people!?

brer frog
03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
:welcome:

I'm going down because people I know are getting married there. If it was just for kids, they wouldn't have a wedding pavilion there, now would they?

dtootsie42
03-17-2009, 04:25 PM
We get that look and it makes me laugh because usually I get you should go to Cancun or this place or that place.

Well we have gone to Cancun beautiful beaches and a beautiful resort ....however...loved riding from the airport to our resort and passing all the armed military on the side of the rode, or the slums that made me incredibly sad and wonder what more I could do to help people not only there but in my own country, had to really watch what I ate or drank (have never gotten sick can't say the same for others we know)etc. etc. They whole time we were in Mexico my husband never totally relaxed, kept checking work which drove me nuts.

When we go to Disney we totally relax, have fun, eat great food, reconnet as a family and best of all my hubby never checks in with work.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

DisneyPrincess21
03-17-2009, 04:55 PM
BTW, DisneyPrincess, love your "freak flag"..LOL

:giveup: Thanks! I try :D :balloon:

Gregandmel
03-17-2009, 05:35 PM
We got "the look" from several family members who thought we were being irresponsible with our money for going. Obviously it can be quite an expensive trip. We are responsible people who always pay our bills on time and live within our means, and it HIGHLY ticked me off to get "the look" of disdain for the $$ being spent! We SAVED for heaven's sake - and we thought this would be a "once in a lifetime" trip but wouldn't ya' know....we are planning another one next year! Can't WAIT to see the mouse again. We are HOOKED. So I guess I better get my thick skin on for "the look" once again :-)

Mrs Bus Driver
03-17-2009, 05:48 PM
I used to fret about people who think Walt Disney World is just the Magic Kingdom (which in itself is pretty darn swell).

But following discussions among Disney fans I see another kind of what could be called snobbery. The view that WDw is the be-all end-all only place worth visiting in the whole by golly world and people who waste their time going anywhere else just aren't turned in to the "magic".

There was actually a discussion post once that said, "Why would someone go to all the way to Africa when the Animal Kingdom Lodge is...

wait for for it

...more authentic."

I encourage people who haven't tried WDW - including those who last rode Dumbo 20 years ago - to go back again and have a great time... and those who never go any place else should spin the globe and spend some frequent flyer miles.

Much as I like seeing the Temple Of Heaven in EPCOT I'm jazzed to say in 46 days we're visiting the Temple of Heaven built 70 years before Columbus took his Caribbean vacation.

I get what you are saying but I think I will have to wait for retirement before I can afford to travel outside the country. Until then WDW/DL is a great place to relax and unwind.
As for the look I usually get it from DH (who has only gone on vacations with me and the kids 2 times in our 29 years of marriage). Getting him to go anywhere is worse then pulling teeth. When he starts whining about my next trip (and he is always invited) I simply explain "I don't drink, smoke or gamble and I have never cheated on you (except with Micky) so I am going to take my one trip every year". Used to go 3/4 times a year to Dl now I go once to WDW.

Crow
03-17-2009, 07:12 PM
My best friend used to say "dont you want to go to someplace different?" after i had been there a few times & told him I was going back.
Then he was stationed in Pensacola, bought a house & got the Fl resident pass. He started driving over once every month or two.
Granted I was going to skip it this yr, but then my sister said how my nephews had never been there & she trusted me to take them since i knew WDW (well that mayb a mistake, guess I will have to be good)
so I will be back there Easter day for a wk.....
(it is a first time for me at that time though)
and Ive been there w diff configurations of people as noted in my signature

jimsgal05
03-17-2009, 08:23 PM
yes I got the looks and the" why are you going you have been so many times"...When I went by myself..oh good grief....I thought some of my family though I lost my mind. My mom is a nurse:nurse: and most of her coworkers goto Disney to relax and destress and they are in there SIXTIES!!... and now my parents are coming in Sept!!!

well we are all here cause we ALL know a good thing:tink: Believe in the magic.....:magic:

I enjoy everyone on Intercot~~~:number1:

Lori

PrettyMinnie
03-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I agree. Some people just don't understand the magic of Disney World. :shake: Even I don't have a trip in place I am excited about WDW. Anyway, I don't let it bother me. That's why I have Intercot friends and my other friends who are happy to obsess with me.!

Imagineer1981
03-18-2009, 10:58 AM

I agree, and infact my DW and I have discussed at length going to Europe and throwing Disneyland Paris in while we are there. I have been fortunate enough being young, to have been to several European countries and China several times. It actually has made me more intriguded about World Showcase, and how well Disney captured elements of the countries, and at the same time "americanized" elements as well.

If you have an opportunity to go somewhere new, I say go for it, the experiences you have on that trip could change your view and give you a new appreciation or new experience at Disney the next time you go.

ojeilatan
03-18-2009, 11:51 AM
When my boyfriend and I last went to DL, he was worried about telling his boss for fear of getting that 'for kids' thing. Incidentally, his boss brightened up as he told him and said, 'Really? We went last year, and are going back in the summer! We love it!' And this boss doesn't have children.

When we mention we're going to WDW, it's usually, 'We wish we could afford that!'

grumpyguy
03-18-2009, 12:02 PM
hello,my name is grumpyguy and i too love WALT DISNEY world.:thumbsup:

garymacd
03-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Not only have I seen that look....I used to give it.

You see? It is a cult!

Eh. Could be worse.

wire0monkey
03-18-2009, 03:43 PM
I know what you mean. Actually, I usually give the same confused look on my face when people say they're going to Mexico. I've done most of the common locations: Cancun, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, etc. Blechhhh...dirty, dangerous, alcohol infested, college driven tourist traps. :sick:

I've had a really good time in Puerto Vallarta and did NOT find it dirty, dangerous, alcohol infested, college driven or a tourist trap.

We stayed at a beautiful hotel and had a lovely time diving, whale watching and hanging out at the beach.

You just have to know where to go and what to schedule.

wire0monkey
03-18-2009, 03:49 PM

n.
Walt Disney World is a wonderful resort, but there are OTHER wonderful places in the world, too.

Having small children really put a cramp in my ability to travel easily. I'm really looking forward to my youngest being old enough to travel more easily.

I love Disney because it makes travel with kids easy. We always have fun there. I really wish I could afford some of the Adventures with Disney trips.

texasteacher
03-18-2009, 06:14 PM
I get lots of looks and negative comments when I tell people I'm going back to WDW (My upcoming June trip will be trip #12). The negativity always comes from people who have never been.

Brooklynos
03-18-2009, 06:50 PM
My DH and I got this look from one of our friends wife the other day. Our friends that know we are going asked when we were leaving, then our friends wife rolled her eyes and walked away. BUT, oh well.... we get to go be big kids in one of our favorite places to go!!! :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-18-2009, 08:39 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!

I know the look. And you know what? Most the time it's from people who go to the same place year after year after year, like Cancun or one of those places like that. Sort of the pot calling the kettle black, eh?

:D

That is our situation exactly. I have a s-i-l that always gives us the "I can't believe you guys go every year" routine, but yet for many years her and my brother rented the same cottage in the same tourist trap town in Wisconsin and were just fine with that.

We are lucky enough to be able to go to WDW every year and still have the opportunity to go other places, too.
But the WDW trip always gets priority!! :thumbsup:

homeschool mom
03-19-2009, 09:06 AM
We go there every other year for our family vacation. There were two years we had APs so we went 2 and 3 times those years. My extended family has gotten used to it so they don't scoff anymore, but others do.

We are a family of 7 with 2 DSs 8 and 10 and 3 DDs 14, 15, and 17. WDW is the only place we have been able to vacation that will interest all of our kids as well as DH and myself. We all love it!

DH and I are going in April to celebrate our 20th anniv., and we are leaving the kids with Grandma and Grandpa. :mickey: People have had different reactions when I tell them we are going to WDW, but I don't care. DH and I enjoy WDW and we will be having a wonderful time alone, I'm sure. :)

wifey5794
03-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I ALWAYS get the looks and the comments. We are lucky enough to still be able to take other vacations every year - but we LOVE Disney and as long as the kids still want to go with us, we just ignore everyone else and have fun!

Figment104
03-19-2009, 01:02 PM
I have to admit that the only time the "look" bothers me is when it comes from my MIL. My in laws have been many times themselves (never stayed on the grounds though) and luckily for me my DH really enjoyes going to WDW with me (not a nut like me, but there's still time) :blush:

I think the reason that it bothers me so much from my MIL is that it's not necessarily that we're going again, it's the costs associated with it. She thinks it's too expensive of a trip for us to afford to go on. For heavens sake, I'm a financial analyst (money is my thing) so I make sure that we save in advace for it and that it won't impact our finances in anyway. As someone else mentioned, we save, we live within our means, we pay our bills on time, and aside from a mortgage we don't have any debt, we should be able to spend what we want on our one big vacation a year with out anyone questioning it. I guess it's just the little demon :thedolls: in me that wants everyone to be ok with my decisions. Can't please everone so we may as well just go and enjoy ourselves.

Currently we've got a trip planned for May and my inlaws have no idea about it, but we decided that we just wouldn't tell them until right before we left. It was to the point with me that I couldn't enjoy the planning thinking that my MIL was dissaproving. Oh well, 56 more days til we our back with the mouse. :cloud9: :mickey:

Figment78
03-19-2009, 01:10 PM
My two cents...

I get that look and after a while, we just stopped telling people where we were going. Sometimes I don't care and other times I just don't want to deal with the looks and comments. We have been on other vacations and enjoyed them - Vegas, Caribbean Cruise, etc. But we like WDW best. It fits us and our vacation preferences.

What gets ME (and probably others) about the comments and looks is that I don't think it's polite to judge others on their personal decisions. I HATE unsolicited advice/opinions. I don't walk around saying "Oh you're going to Aruba/Myrtle Beach/the OuterBanks again?" and roll my eyes. I don't walk around saying "oh you are wearing those brown pants again?" or "Oh I think you should cut your hair it would look better." I wish others wouldn't walk around saying those things either. If you can't find something polite and nice to say, just smile and move on. Really!

A portion of the nay-sayers are probably jealous that they can't go. Another portion have never experienced it or didn't have a good experience. People who went in 1980 had a VERY different experience than someone who went in 2000. And other people just aren't into it.

As for the snobbery term, I think the OP's word choice was intended to reference the look-givers acting like they too good or sophisticated for WDW (thus, snobs).