PDA

View Full Version : unnecessary wheelchair use - vent

dumbo_buddy
03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
i know this has been discussed ad nauseum but i just have to bring this up...

we got back sat night from an 8 day trip. there were SO many wheelchairs (motorized and non-motorized). it was ridiculous. and most of the people in them were huge.

i understand that some people need to be in a wheelchair. but when DH and i were at hollywood and vine this guy in a wheelchair rolled up to the stairs and i offered to help him. he said, "oh i don't need this wheelchair, i just don't feel like walking all day."

really disgusting. and he had a 7 year old boy with him who was severely obese. it really is a shame.

BamaJenn
03-16-2009, 04:04 PM
This is one of those very controversial topics. I've seen this get ugly on other forums so I'll just say this... yes there are many people who use them just to be lazy (as the one you ran into) but be careful not to assume that because they are overweight and in a wheelchair that they are an example of that. Some people are overweight because of the disability that put them in the wheelchair to begin with (little tough to exercise if you can barely walk). Not all disabilities are obvious to the eye. Some people may look 100% fine but they have a very valid reason for using the chairs.

dumbo_buddy
03-16-2009, 04:19 PM
This is one of those very controversial topics. I've seen this get ugly on other forums so I'll just say this... yes there are many people who use them just to be lazy (as the one you ran into) but be careful not to assume that because they are overweight and in a wheelchair that they are an example of that. Some people are overweight because of the disability that put them in the wheelchair to begin with (little tough to exercise if you can barely walk). Not all disabilities are obvious to the eye. Some people may look 100% fine but they have a very valid reason for using the chairs.

understood. i guess really i was just venting at that ONE person openly admitting to being lazy.

that's not fair to the people who really need one.

Ian
03-16-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't want to perpetuate this topic, particularly, because it's not one of my favorites.

But I will say that, on our recent trip to Disneyland, I had a local tell me that it's very common practice out there for a member of a party to rent a scooter and share the costs out over the group, then use the scooter to get front-of-the-line access to the rides.

This was told to me in the context of, "You know how to get front-of-the-line access to all the rides, right?"

When I asked if this person meant Fastpass, he said, "No, I mean with the wheelchairs and scooters?" I sort of played dumb and asked him to elaborate, which is when he gave me the details as to how it works and how common it is among a segment of frequent DL visitors.

When we arrived and were waiting in line to rent a stroller, there were not one, not two, but three families in line with us all openly discussing who was going to rent the scooter, pooling their money, etc.

So while I totally agree you can never tell just from looking at someone whether or not they're truly disabled, I will say that I think the abuse rate is much higher than some folks give credit for.

Daisy'sMom
03-16-2009, 04:37 PM
I try not to judge something that I truly don't understand.

Ed
03-16-2009, 04:37 PM
MODERATOR'S NOTE:

This is one of those very controversial topics. I've seen this get ugly on other forums ... Not all disabilities are obvious to the eye. Some people may look 100% fine but they have a very valid reason for using the chairs.

This same topic has, in the past, gotten "ugly" right here as well. :nono:

BamaJenn's last two sentences say it all; let's not assume that there are more abusers than legitimate users, and keep it civil, please.

Thank you!

PrettyMinnie
03-16-2009, 04:49 PM
I don't judge people who might legitimately need a wheelchair but the number of people who openly admit to abusing the privilege is ridiculous. We one waited in line for Beauty and the Beast with a couple who had a wheelchair. They were raving about what a good idea it was because they could now get front row seats.

mouseketeer mom
03-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't want to perpetuate this topic, particularly, because it's not one of my favorites.

But I will say that, on our recent trip to Disneyland, I had a local tell me that it's very common practice out there for a member of a party to rent a scooter and share the costs out over the group, then use the scooter to get front-of-the-line access to the rides.

This was told to me in the context of, "You know how to get front-of-the-line access to all the rides, right?"

When I asked if this person meant Fastpass, he said, "No, I mean with the wheelchairs and scooters?" I sort of played dumb and asked him to elaborate, which is when he gave me the details as to how it works and how common it is among a segment of frequent DL visitors.

When we arrived and were waiting in line to rent a stroller, there were not one, not two, but three families in line with us all openly discussing who was going to rent the scooter, pooling their money, etc.

So while I totally agree you can never tell just from looking at someone whether or not they're truly disabled, I will say that I think the abuse rate is much higher than some folks give credit for.

Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:

Laura670
03-16-2009, 05:07 PM
On our last trip I saw this girl probably in her early 20's using an electric scooter she was on the phone very loudly telling someone that she was walking around Walt Disney world then she said well not walking she had rented a scooter because why burn the extra calories if she didn't have to.....I was thinking you have got to be kidding me.....

kakn7294
03-16-2009, 05:51 PM
We also just came back (at 2 am!!!) and my mother used a wheelchair this trip. I have to say that Disney staff is wonderful at handling guests in wheelchairs. The front of the line access is nice but doesn't happen on every attraction and it's great to have that little perk with everything else you have to put up with in dealing with a WC. It's so hard to try to steer through crowds, shops, restaurants, and lines. You have to go out of your way to find a place to cross the streets with sidewalks, to find ramps in places where there are stairs, and the attitudes of some other guests can be downright disturbing. My mother would have much rather been able to walk with the rest of us than be pushed around all day - she felt like a burden although we all kept telling her she wasn't. It is extremely tiring pushing it around all day, especially in the heat of mid-day. I know that I'll never look at the situation quite the same again and I won't be one of those judging anyone else unless they outright admit to being lazy like the guy in the OP's post.

Carol
03-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Hmmmmmm. I just spent a week at Disneyland and saw very few scooters.

This doesn't make sense - with the size of the park. These folks would die at WDW.

Ian
03-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:Sadly, I'm not.

Hmmmmmm. I just spent a week at Disneyland and saw very few scooters.

This doesn't make sense - with the size of the park. These folks would die at WDW.It's not a size issue, it's a "we want to get to the front of the line without waiting" issue.

Were you there on the weekend? Because I would expect with it being locals allegedly doing it that it would really only happen over weekends.

AndrewJackson
03-16-2009, 08:35 PM

I thought WDW and DL were preventing this down by requiring a Guest Assistance Card be issued. You have to go to guest relations and explain your need, with appropriate medical documentation. No longer does a wheelchair mean front of the line access.

DisneyPrincess21
03-16-2009, 11:30 PM
i know this has been discussed ad nauseum but i just have to bring this up...

we got back sat night from an 8 day trip. there were SO many wheelchairs (motorized and non-motorized). it was ridiculous. and most of the people in them were huge.

i understand that some people need to be in a wheelchair. but when DH and i were at hollywood and vine this guy in a wheelchair rolled up to the stairs and i offered to help him. he said, "oh i don't need this wheelchair, i just don't feel like walking all day."

really disgusting. and he had a 7 year old boy with him who was severely obese. it really is a shame.

First off, I don't really see what the people's size have to do with anything. I find it offensive that it should even need to be brought up in the point you were trying to make, When it could have just been a statement about all the wheelchairs, and not what size the people were who were using them. And secondly like other people have said. Not every disability you can see just by looking at the person. Both of my parents "look normal" but they both have health problems that keep them from walking the parks all day. So does that mean that because they "look normal" they should stay at the hotel or push their body's to a point when they have to be in agonizing pain all day, As to not "offend" other guest who don't think they "look" sick enough for a wheelchair. My father has a condition called Ankylosing Spondylitis, Which to put it simply means his spine is fused together and he has sever mobility issue's, The littlest walking makes him feel like he climbed a mountain. But to everyone else he looks fine. And my mother has a pace maker and can't over exert herself walking because it causes her to pass out. Again, She looks normal. So just because you see some who "looks normal" doesn't mean they don't have a condition that you can not see. And just because someone who is in your words "huge" is in a wheelchair doesn't mean it is because they are lazy and could use the extra excersize and should just get up and walk. Many people have many different problems and disability's and shouldn't have to feel that because they don't look sick or handicap that they should miss going to the park or push their bodies. All because they don't want to get the snide looks from people. Maybe on your next visit you could take a few minutes out of you day and sit and watch how the majority of people treat people in wheelchairs and how rude and the lack of respect they have for them, When they walk in front of them, Or give them dirty looks because they don't think they should be in a wheelchair. And then maybe you will think twice about throwing everyone into a group together and assume that unless you can see their problem, then they are just lazy and don't have a medical problem. I think everyone should have the joy of experiencing Disney no matter what problem or disability they have. Because it is the one place that they can feel like a kid, and forget about what health problems they have, If even for a short moment while on a ride. So please keep that in mind :wave:
I know this was very lengthy but it is a topic close to my heart and I needed to speak for my family and anyone else who has had to deal with this first hand.

tjstrike
03-17-2009, 12:29 AM
That's the whole problem, you don't know who is and who isn't abusing the system, it's called sterotyping. i know we all remember that from school. People hear that the wheelchairs are getting abused so they look at it as if all in wheelchairs are abusers. Which isn't right but it happens.

I thought WDW and DL were preventing this down by requiring a Guest Assistance Card be issued. You have to go to guest relations and explain your need, with appropriate medical documentation. No longer does a wheelchair mean front of the line access.

That's a very good idea !!

Carol
03-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Were you there on the weekend? Yep.

They must do things differently out there. I've been with wheelchair/scooter folk at WDW and, with a few exceptions, we all wait in the same line.

Disney Doll
03-17-2009, 07:40 AM
I can't see it being that much of an advantage to be in a wheelchair other than the rest factor. We often travel to WDW with my mother who uses a scooter and for most rides we wait the same amount of time. Sometimes there is a handicap line that branches off, but it's not always faster. There are some shows where we get to sit up front (FOLK), but there are other shows where wheelchair seating is in the nose bleed section (Beauty and the Beast). It just seems like the wait times probably balance out. Couple that with the extra time it takes you to navigate the parks with a chair searching out elevators and ramps and actually traveling with a scooter or chair is kind of a hassle. I would never ever say that to my mom and I'm so glad that she is able to come along, but in my mind it's not a perk.

That said it is shocking to hear not that people abuse the chairs, but that they are seemingly so open about it. Have they no shame?

brownie
03-17-2009, 08:14 AM

Wow, that's a new one for me. Not only are they abusing the system, but they are probably taking a scooter away from someone who really does need it. I wonder how likely Disney is to do something about it since they're getting the money for the rental either way. If they start asking for some sort of documentation, people will get upset about that too.

I guess it really is about riding as many rides as possible for some as opposed to spending time with their families.

Mickey'sGirl
03-17-2009, 08:39 AM
You know, I should probably rent either a wheelchair or a scooter for part of the day when at the world. Walking is painful and difficult all the time, but I look just fine. I'm young, I have young kids (whom I frequently need to run after), no visible issues. I don't get anything because I don't want to constantly defend my need to the ever present judge and jury.

It's sad that a few baddies have made using chairs and scooters so controversial

TiggeRia
03-17-2009, 09:42 AM
It's a shame that there are people out there that use them just for front of the line access. Those few people make it that much harder for those that do need it.

I for one, don't really see the advantage. My dad (who looks normal) only has one lung and can do short amounts of walking before getting out of breath. He uses an ECV each time we go instead of a regular w/c so that he can still have his freedom and does not have to wait for us or do what we want to do. We always wait in the regular line with the chair, or he will get out of the chair and walk slowly through the line. He would never, ever, use it to cut in front of people. In fact, he gets so frustrated using it sometimes. We went to the Christmas Party one year, and I remember him sitting in his chair, almost in tears because there were so many people and he was unable to navigate through the crowds because people kept cutting in front of him causing him to suddenly stop. My mom and I would try and walk in front of him, to keep a path clear, but people would cut in between us and the ECV. He had such a bad experience that night that he never wants to return to any of the parties or really even MK at times because of the crowds.

BamaJenn
03-17-2009, 09:44 AM
MODERATOR'S NOTE:

This same topic has, in the past, gotten "ugly" right here as well. :nono:

BamaJenn's last two sentences say it all; let's not assume that there are more abusers than legitimate users, and keep it civil, please.

Thank you!
It's slowly getting "ugly" here again. :secret:

MNNHFLTX
03-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Wow, that's a new one for me. Not only are they abusing the system, but they are probably taking a scooter away from someone who really does need it.That was my thought too. Unfortunately there will always be those types of people out there who will look for ways to cheat the system. Who they are is not up to me to judge, but up to their own conscience. And we can't let it ruin it for all other folks who legitimately need the assistance.

Nini5055
03-17-2009, 10:31 AM
We had such a difficult time with my Father and his scooter last year, that he has refused to return to WDW as it was too stressful.

I cannot possibly imagine anyone wanting to rent a wheelchair or scooter just because. :confused: Navigation is difficult, bus loading is tedious at times, ride access is not always easy, ride waits can be as long as regular lines, going through crowds is difficult. :( I just cannot see the ease ( and did not experience it firsthand) that some people believe a wheelchair or scooter presents. :(

Such a Misconception that seems to perpetuate itself...how sad.:(

Goes4FastPass
03-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Disney parks are usually crowded. People are on vacations they've looked forward to and are often beating up credit cards to pay for so many peole are trying to find a way to wait-less. But,

I'd hate to be the person who turned my "you're cheating" attention on the park guest who already is dealing with mobility in the face of disability.

Imagineer1981
03-17-2009, 11:14 AM

Unfortunately CMs don't 100% help that situation either. The wheel chair is technically supposed to go through the wheelchair entrance with 1-2 other people tops, while the rest of the party waits in the standby/FP line, but it rarely happens.

Luckily many of Disney's new attractions have wider queues, therefore wheelchairs just wait with everyone else...I must admit I get a big smile when I see a group of like 7 go up to a CM and say "where's the wheelchair entrance" and the CM points to the back of the line and says, "right there"...he he :thedolls::thedolls:

DisneyCouple07
03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
I was a little peeved about the wheelchair issue on our trip 2 years ago.

One of the guests at our hotel did not seem to need the motorized chair he was using—I know that even people that look perfectly healthy may have a need for a WC, but this guy didn't need it that bad. He actually carried it to building 7 of POFQ (from close to the bus stop). I had seen him in the park with it and being able to jump in front of a few line, but around the resort he was jumping in the pool and running around.

Now to each his own, but what really had me peeved was that a few elderly couples that did seem to need the WC had to wait for the next bus because of this guy. I don't mind wheelchairs in the park (some of us may need them one day), and I do think that the perks should be given (because it's no picnic to have to get through a crowd with a WC), but I feel that people are abusing this and things should be more closely watched. :mickey:

DANAM
03-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I wanted to say one thing. Why is it disney allows the motorized scotters. And since they do why isn't there a lane for them. Mixing people with scooters that aren't paying attention can be dangerous. Two of my family member where hurt by someone on a motorized scotter not paying attention driving out of a ride in DHS. My cousin was holding his 3 year old sleeping daughter across his body so he couldn't see directly down in front of him. He was walking right behind me. He got squirted by I think it's a firetruck that will squirts water on you so he turned his head and this crazy man zooms right in between us in his scooter crossing the street in front of dozens of people. So my cousin steps on his motor scooter and falls down backwards. Since he was holding his child he couldn't brace the fall. Then the guy wants to fight him. I will stop the story there because I don't want to start anything but we just walked off.
I have always had a problem with these things and I don't care if someone really needs it or not there dangerous.

MNNHFLTX
03-17-2009, 01:43 PM
I wanted to say one thing. Why is it disney allows the motorized scotters.The simple answer is that not everyone has the strength or physical ability to roll a conventional (or non-electric) wheelchair, or a companion capable of doing it for them. ECV's are a necessity for some people.

dnickels
03-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Slightly OT, but I just want to weigh in on one common misconception I think I saw earlier.

Being disabled does not cause someone to become obese. I haven't been able to walk on my own or run or jog or do anything involving that in almost seven years now since I became paralyzed and I haven't gained a pound. People become overweight by eating more calories than they can burn off, plain and simple.

(ducks the tomatoes/insults/assorted 'Made in China' Disney souvenirs)

CaptainSad
03-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Just to let you know that when I come down the week of December 27th, 2009 we will be using two ECV's. One for my father who is 80 and has to use a cane to walk and my mother who is on Oxygen. About seven years ago we didn't need them. Age happens...

If someone brings their own I have no problem. They must need them.

On the other hand. People will use these for all kinds of reasons. I know there are handicapped people from all over the world that need these for places like this. But there are the ones that abuse the system. And I would say at least 20% are abusing the system. The best way to police this would be to have a Doctor's note stating what they need one for. I don't think this violates your privacy. No one will know except the one that gave you the ECV's. This will almost take care of the abusers. Except the ones who use a relative or friend that is a Doctor. Now if they can live with themselves then by all means do it.

tinksmom02
03-17-2009, 03:29 PM
My mom needs an ECV (multiple foot surgeries), although she will do whatever she can to not use one. When they were with us in 2007 she rented one for the day we were at MK and the day we were at Epcot. When we wanted to do an attraction, she parked it with the strollers. She is capable of walking short distances, but it is painful. And typically my dad would park it/back it up for her.

We're trying to convince her to rent an ECV from an outside vendor for our trip in Sept., although I dread having to watch her (or Dad, more likely) navigate the bus with it.

I agree that unfortunately ECV's are seeing some misuse, but at the same time I agree that you can't always know, nor is it really your business, why some people are using them.

:mickey:

Ian
03-17-2009, 03:48 PM
I cannot possibly imagine anyone wanting to rent a wheelchair or scooter just because. :confused: Navigation is difficult, bus loading is tedious at times, ride access is not always easy, ride waits can be as long as regular lines, going through crowds is difficult. :( I just cannot see the ease ( and did not experience it firsthand) that some people believe a wheelchair or scooter presents. :(Well bear in mind that if you're renting a scooter just for the ride access you're not leaving the park with it so loading it on busses is not an issue.

The simple answer is that not everyone has the strength or physical ability to roll a conventional (or non-electric) wheelchair, or a companion capable of doing it for them. ECV's are a necessity for some people.Well ... I wouldn't say they're a necessity. I mean we got along for thousands of years without ECV's, so calling them a necessity might be a bit of an overstatement.

I would say they're more of a luxury, to be honest.

Mousemates
03-17-2009, 04:12 PM
It's slowly getting "ugly" here again. :secret:

Yep...i bet the dreaded padlock is getting keyed and slowly working its way down this slippery slope already.

MNNHFLTX Unfortunately there will always be those types of people out there who will look for ways to cheat the system. Who they are is not up to me to judge, but up to their own conscience. And we can't let it ruin it for all other folks who legitimately need the assistance.

Exactly.

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-17-2009, 07:38 PM
I don't think anyone would begrudge those that need it getting a bit of assistance. But, I also think it is Polyannahish to pretend that no abuse is happening.
We have heard family groups discussing who was paying for the ECV that day since it had been so much fun to take turns riding in it the day before.
We have also witnessed a young lady hop out of her ECV, run to the queue and then with no effort jump over the chains to short cut the line. Did she really need it? I don't know, but don't chastise me for having my doubts.

NotaGeek
03-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Well ... I wouldn't say they're a necessity. I mean we got along for thousands of years without ECV's, so calling them a necessity might be a bit of an overstatement.

Come on Ian ... as someone that doesn't have to use an ECV that's an easy statement to make. Not a fair assessment, and kind of insensitive to people with different physical needs.

justice11
03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
i feel so bad. i need an evc because i am burnt over 80% of my body, i am heavy and have arthritis, and i am debating whether or not to get one this time, when we go. after all i read on here, i would never want anyone to think i did it to get in the front of the line. when we have gone we have never gotten into a line faster, because i get off of the evc and stand in line because i need to get up sometimes. i have also gone with 2 grand-daughters who were 8 months pregnant and let them ride when i needed to walk and their feet were swelled. you just never know why people are using wheelchairs, i do not in my private life, but i want to be able to be with my kids and grandkids.

PrettyMinnie
03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
i feel so bad. i need an evc because i am burnt over 80% of my body, i am heavy and have arthritis, and i am debating whether or not to get one this time, when we go. after all i read on here, i would never want anyone to think i did it to get in the front of the line. when we have gone we have never gotten into a line faster, because i get off of the evc and stand in line because i need to get up sometimes. i have also gone with 2 grand-daughters who were 8 months pregnant and let them ride when i needed to walk and their feet were swelled. you just never know why people are using wheelchairs, i do not in my private life, but i want to be able to be with my kids and grandkids.

I really don't think anyone on this thread is intentionally targeting wheelchair/ EVC users. The fact that people abuse the privileged is horrible because I recognize there are people, like you, who truly need them. I would hate to know that you were passing up a trip because of your need to use an EVC.

CaptSmee
03-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Yep.

They must do things differently out there. I've been with wheelchair/scooter folk at WDW and, with a few exceptions, we all wait in the same line.

My mother occasionally has to rent a scooter when she goes with us because her knees can't handle the standing anymore. Probably about 1/2 the lines have separate wheelchair entries vs. regular lines. And I'm not sure if I can' think of any where it gets you front of line. Peter Pan maybe is pretty close?

Marilyn Michetti
03-17-2009, 10:30 PM

It's not that easy because Disney is re-designing the lines to accomodate "wheels". That's as it should be - who better to wait than those of us already seated?;)

WDWdriver
03-17-2009, 11:11 PM
.... who better to wait than those of us already seated?;)

So very well said. Thank you!

Renfairwedding
03-17-2009, 11:30 PM
On a exciting note. since I have a motorized wheelchair I was able to experience the most surprising and thrilling ride. The wet ramp down from the Main Street Rail Road Station. I spun around three times before getting to the bottom. I could not stop laughing. My Wife did not want me to repeat that ride. :D

To all in this discussion. Yes there are many people who abusers any system. Getting a GAC is not that difficult and if people really knew would skip the cost of scoters or all the work of pushing a chair. I myself did not look like I may have needed the scooter when I would rent but this "luxury" allowed me to enjoy the parks.

Now that I have my own ride (its a cool color red and a real nice seat) and a great looking black boot holding my foot together I look more the part and now get less objecting looks.

Getting to the front of the line is not always a benefit. Disney dose their best to make some lines interesting with the set decoration. Rushing to the front dose not allow you to see some of the hidden items and jokes that help build up to the ride.

but you all don't know the great views I get being at chair height.... :jaw: No its not all that nice.

Oh and yes I aim for your ankles..... You better watch out! ... :drive: Just kidding... well maybe... :angel:

Mrs Bus Driver
03-18-2009, 08:23 AM
I just want to put in my :twocents:. Several years ago I took DD and her best friend to DL for a few days. There I was with 2 teenage girls who looked perfectly healthy. The 2 of them taking turns in the wheelchair. Well DD has flat feet which hurt badly after to much standing or walking. Still we have done many trips and just taken a lot of breaks. However her friend had to sleep with braces on her legs and to much walking/standing was very painful for her. The girls took turns because neither wanted to sit all day and both felt a little guilty for having the chair. As for me I would rent one again in a heart beat. It allowed us to stay in the parks longer and do more then if we hadn't rented it.

In Oct I will be going to WDW with DH DD and her BF. DH has lung cancer and prostrate cancer. He has had a long battle over the last 3 years with cancers throughout his body. He won't be renting a wheelchair, he is to much of a macho-man for that. So we will be taking a lot of breaks. I would rent him a chair if I could even though he looks healthy and can walk. Someone made a comment about a man who carried his chair to the room, my DH would do that just to prove he didn't need it. I know it sounds silly but people do silly things because they don't want to appear weak. Just my :twocents:.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-18-2009, 09:00 AM
We were in DW for 10 days Dec. 2008...on the 7th day when I got up my feet were completely covered in blisters and were bleeding profusely, in spite of wearing broken in, good tennis shoes and mole skin...I did not go to the parks that day, so my mom convinced me to rent a wheelchair for the remainder of the trip. One of the reasons I didn't want to rent the chair is I am in my late 30's and yes, I'm overweight, so I was afraid I would get ugly comments. I'm so glad I did relent because I planned this vacation for over a year and didn't want to miss any of it.

BTW, most of the rides/attractions no longer let you go to the front of the line/you wait in line with others and towards the end of the line you veer into another handicapped accessible line...hope this makes people less resentfull. And yes, I know some people abuse the system but that is true in all aspects of life, if there is a way to cheat someone's going to figure it out.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-18-2009, 09:06 AM

Please don't feel bad, get your wheelchair and enjoy your vacation.:)

Goes4FastPass
03-18-2009, 10:33 AM
... But, I also think it is Polyannahish to pretend that no abuse is happening...
I'm sure abuse is happening. I just want a vacation from being the one to determine who's abusing.

bytheway

With all the political correctness we're not allowed to say Dumbo's mom is fat that's in place, was anyone else a little surprised that Disney's Wal-E future was populated with fat people whose lives amounted to ECVs and remote controls?

PETE FROM NYC
03-18-2009, 10:36 AM
DW is an ECV user, and has rented onr in the parks many times. Last trip , 2 yrs ago, she brought her own with us.I am now disabled too,and that trip I had to rent one in the parks.My problem is that I just cannot walk far or stand too long due to arthrits in both knees.One complaint that I had was that there were too many folks using the medical parking lot because they had over-sized strollers that I assume would not fold up to load onto a parking lot tram.Each morning and evening the long walk from the gate back to the car almost did me in.
I tell you, one of the major problems for us
folks using ECVs is that too many people just ignore them and walk right in front of them.

Disney Doll
03-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I really like the idea of having to present a doctor's note or some sort of proof of need. Rentals are limited and it is possible that the abusers may be taking a chair that is actually needed by someone with a medical condition. There are tons of off site rental companies and I'm sure many abusers would just take their business off site, but that takes a little additional planning and may cut down on the abuse at least a little.

I also agree with the poster who said that so many ECVs can be dangerous to pedestrians. One reason it takes us so long to navigate the parks is that my mom is extra cautious with her ECV. We always go in off season so that helps, but it's still a challenge sometimes. People do cut her off all the time, but she watches for that and makes sure she doesn't get too close. I do not always see the same level of caution used by all ECV drivers. Also, my mom brings her own personal ECV from home so she is very familiar with the handling. People who do not normally use an ECV and who are driving one for the first time in WDW crowds can pose a hazard.

Disney Doll
03-18-2009, 10:56 AM
.One complaint that I had was that there were too many folks using the medical parking lot because they had over-sized strollers that I assume would not fold up to load onto a parking lot tram.

Hmmm. I remember showing mom's handicap parking permit to gain access to the handicap lots. I wouldn't think a large stroller would be enough of a qualification, at least I hope not.

TheDuckRocks
03-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Well ... I wouldn't say they're a necessity. I mean we got along for thousands of years without ECV's, so calling them a necessity might be a bit of an overstatement.

I'm sitting here in tears over this remark. Going to Disney World is not a necessity and I realize that but before I started using an ECV I spent 10 years of my life going almost nowhere. The one exception was a trip to Disneyland with my grandkids and after one or two rides I had to go back to my hotel room because of the pain level I was in. There were many hours that I sat in that room wondering what I was missing with my family. I'm sorry that people feel that I don't have the right to enjoy a trip the same way they do but I absolutely refuse to ever sit on the sidelines again for whatever time God grants me on this earth.

TheVBs
03-18-2009, 12:04 PM
You know... I'm new-ish here. I don't use a WC or ECV and don't know anyone who does. Valid complaints about abusers aside - I'm very saddened to read comments here that make other people feel as if they have to justify their use of a WC or ECV, or even worse, are made to feel unwelcome in the parks or ashamed because of it.

In the spirit of the Happiest Place on Earth, let those of us who can use our own two legs to get around be grateful for that. Let's be grateful that there are WC and ECVs so that the people who can't use their legs can enjoy the parks too, and let's let them be grateful for it. As for the abusers, let's hope there's some cosmic justice. ;)

DisneyPrincess21
03-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Both of my parents "look normal" but they both have health problems that keep them from walking the parks all day. So does that mean that because they "look normal" they should stay at the hotel or push their body's to a point when they have to be in agonizing pain all day, As to not "offend" other guest who don't think they "look" sick enough for a wheelchair. My father has a condition called Ankylosing Spondylitis, Which to put it simply means his spine is fused together and he has sever mobility issue's, The littlest walking makes him feel like he climbed a mountain. But to everyone else he looks fine. And my mother has a pace maker and can't over exert herself walking because it causes her to pass out. Again, She looks normal. So just because you see some who "looks normal" doesn't mean they don't have a condition that you can not see. Many people have many different problems and disability's and shouldn't have to feel that because they don't look sick or handicap that they should miss going to the park or push their bodies. All because they don't want to get the snide looks from people. I think everyone should have the joy of experiencing Disney no matter what problem or disability they have. Because it is the one place that they can feel like a kid, and forget about what health problems they have, If even for a short moment while on a ride.

I'm sitting here in tears over this remark. Going to Disney World is not a necessity and I realize that but before I started using an ECV I spent 10 years of my life going almost nowhere. The one exception was a trip to Disneyland with my grandkids and after one or two rides I had to go back to my hotel room because of the pain level I was in. There were many hours that I sat in that room wondering what I was missing with my family. I'm sorry that people feel that I don't have the right to enjoy a trip the same way they do but I absolutely refuse to ever sit on the sidelines again for whatever time God grants me on this earth.

I am sorry that some people's rude post have brought you to tears :(
But I am glad you refuse to sit on the sidelines, You should get to go out and experience life and see Disney through your grankids eyes, Because that is truly magical. Unlike some of the other poster's I Do Think that you should get to enjoy your life with your family. As you can read from my previous post listed above, I have a similar situation in my family, And I refuse to let anyone's bad attitude force my family to stay at the hotel. On your next vacation you make sure you don't let anyone's rude remarks keep you from enjoying your vacation with your family,
:tink: And I hope you have a magical time! :balloon:

MMFreak
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I agree with the orgiginal poster.

Also to a few who commented on exercise. To get exercise you do not have to be able to walk. You can do a total upper body workout that burns calories (thus losing weight) without ever having to walk somewhere.

dreamscometrue
03-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Some of the comments here have illustrated that not all people understand other people's health problems. I hope that when I bring my 83 yr old mother to the parks in April 2010 that I do not meet up with you. My mother happens to look like a healhty 60 yr old, but she had a back operation for severe osteoporosis (sp?) that left both of her feet sometimes completely numb; she can't predict when it will happen and can lose control walking. We push her in wheelchair in the parks and have NEVER had anyone comment on us abusing the system. We go where the CM tells us to.

jason.hebert
03-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Just because someone is Huge doesn't mean that they can't walk or that they are lazy.:confused:

MMFreak
03-18-2009, 03:49 PM
I do not think the originator of this thread meant any disrespect to those who really need to use the power chairs and I don't think that they said if you don't look sick you should be walking. The whole point of the thread was to say HEY you people that DO NOT need to use power chairs for health reasons stop clogging the walkways and attempting to get special treatment walk like the rest of us.

For me in general everyone in this forum seems to be very nice and I really don't think anyone would begrudge anyone who really needed it.

kakn7294
03-18-2009, 04:40 PM
You know... I'm new-ish here. I don't use a WC or ECV and don't know anyone who does. Valid complaints about abusers aside - I'm very saddened to read comments here that make other people feel as if they have to justify their use of a WC or ECV, or even worse, are made to feel unwelcome in the parks or ashamed because of it.

In the spirit of the Happiest Place on Earth, let those of us who can use our own two legs to get around be grateful for that. Let's be grateful that there are WC and ECVs so that the people who can't use their legs can enjoy the parks too, and let's let them be grateful for it. As for the abusers, let's hope there's some cosmic justice. ;)Very well said. No one should feel badly or need to justify themselves because they need a WC or ECV to enjoy a vacation the same as any able-bodied person. I agree that there are some people who abuse this system but I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation nor am I going to make someone who needs a WC or ECV feel badly about needing it. It's not a luxury to have to use one - for some, it's a necessity in order to have as normal a life as possible and I'm sure that all WC and ECV users would gladly give it up in order to be able to walk like the rest of us. Some of you should really be ashamed of yourselves!!! I hope you are never in that situation yourselves someday.

Exo
03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Yawn...

Whats with all the not judging. Judging is how we have standards. You may not want to blame or condemn someone but you sure can judge a persons behavior. The problem is too many non-judging people that lets the "non-judged" to not feel guilty and thus perpetuate a behavior unbecoming in a great society. Sheesh. :thumbsup:

RedHead
03-18-2009, 07:08 PM
I tell you, one of the major problems for us
folks using ECVs is that too many people just ignore them and walk right in front of them.

My question to you is - what right of way does using an ECV give you? The people "ignor(ing) them and walking right in front of them" have as much right of way as the ECV - why must THEY stop? :cool:

(And, while I haven't personally used an ECV, I have been to WDW a few times with a friend who did, a friend who was recovering from knee replacement surgery at the time! So, yes, I have some experience dealing with them...)

DANAM
03-18-2009, 11:06 PM
I do not think the originator of this thread meant any disrespect to those who really need to use the power chairs and I don't think that they said if you don't look sick you should be walking. The whole point of the thread was to say HEY you people that DO NOT need to use power chairs for health reasons stop clogging the walkways and attempting to get special treatment walk like the rest of us.

For me in general everyone in this forum seems to be very nice and I really don't think anyone would begrudge anyone who really needed it.

Well said!!!

gueli
03-19-2009, 04:27 AM
To start-
anyone who needs a wheelchair or ecv should not need to justify their use of one. Size, Look, Whatever- no one should be forced to feel bad because they need help.

One common complaint, from both the ECVers (ok I am kinda making a word up- but I needed a verb) and pedestrians- disney needs to modify their walkways. ECV's are vehicles. Yes they should be in the parks. But Disney needs to address the rules of the road and provide a safe way for the guests to get around without being run over (pedesitrians) or having to navigate a large crowd without being able to get through(ECVers).

As for abusers- just like in life- there should be a special hell :thedolls: reserved for them. Or instant Karma's gonna get you.
It is not for us to be Judge & Jury over who needs an ECV or why.
When there remember - it is not only you who are traveling to "the Happiest Place on Earth".
Lets keep everyones journey magical.

Side note - nice post the VB's.
To the Duckrocks- some pixie dust for your tears :tink::pixie: Never let anyone make you feel bad. I read from your post that you refuse to sit on the sidlines. :cheer:
Life is worth living.

wedoada
03-19-2009, 10:02 AM
I have been disabled since birth and use a wheelchair fulltime. I use a ECV at WDW because I would not be able to use my arms after a day of pushing my chair at Disney.

I am also a big guy and yes in my case my disability prevents me from "working out" more then pushing my chair to get around.

Using a chair or ECV is far from a luxury it does however allow me to enjoy a magical vacation with my family.

To those questioning why they should have to stop to let ECV users pass by....you should think of it as a matter of self preservation. You wouldn't step out in front of a bicycle or a car right ? An ECV, even if driven slowly, takes a few feet to stop. If you step out in front of me...even given that I am a spectacular driver ;-)...I will likely run into you or over you. I'll feel real bad about it, but it will happen.

I HATE the abuse of the system and I don't use a WDW ECV...I rent from a 3rd party so that I don't use one that someone else might need.

If I recall correctly the GAC is based on a medical need but anyone with $35 can rent an ECV. They are after all called Electronic CONVENIENCE Vehicles. I would prefer WDW only rent them where there is a real need and if you just don't feel like walking feel free to rent from a 3rd party. And where there is a need to bypass a line because of a disability...require that we show our GAC.

Just my 2 cents.

PixieMagic
03-19-2009, 03:36 PM
This is a very sad topic....my family is returning to Disney with my parents for their first trip in 6 years...a lot has happened since then - my mother had several herniated discs in her spine which left one of her legs completely numb...she can now walk with rehab - but not Disney type walking - she gets out of breath and needs to sit after 1-200yards. She is contemplating a wheel chair so she doesn't slow us down but hates the idea of hassling us....my god people - if she saw this post she would probably not even go....think before you speak please....:(

joonyer
03-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't think anyone here is complaining about people using wheelchairs or ECVs when they have a legitimate need for them. The OP's vent was all about guests who rent/use these things when they have no legitimate reason to do so, solely to take advantage of Disney's policy about front-of the line, special seating, etc. for guests who have a legitimate need for assistance.

One year my wife fell on the first day of our visit and severely sprained her ankle. She could not walk without crutches. We rented a wheelchair for a few days until she could get around better. We accepted special front row seating for Beauty and the Beast at DHS when a cast member simply approached us and asked us to follow her, not realizing we were bypassing the waiting line and getting front row seats until we got down front. No question that really nice for us, and we joked about doing it again on our next trip, but we would not dream of actually doing it. We didn't accept any more special favors from CM's for the rest of the trip, because DW did not want the extra attention. But unfortunately, some folks apparently have no qualms about abusing the system.

ransam
03-19-2009, 06:55 PM
first of all, I am one of those people you all hate. I look normal except for the fact i'm fat, i can walk, i'm fairly strong, but i have such a bad back and knees that after walking 50 yards, i will have to sit down for 5-10 minutes until i can get up and walk another 50 yards or so. therefore I do rent an evc when i am there...i don't feel bad one bit. First of all I pay, it's not free. second of all when you do go through the handicapped aisle people make comments and you also miss part of the "show" by going a different route. next time you're at disney look around and notice no one is paying attention where they are going..that's fine when you're walking i have to pay veyr strict attention cuase if i bump into somoene cause they are spacing off and move suddenly accross my path, suddenly, I'm the jerk...
personally, if you don't need an EVC consider youself lucky. I'd love to walk down main street. I'd love to walk through tower of terror,...i've nver seen the inside of that ride.
I think you should just consider youself lucky, and move on. why let something like this ruin the disney magic for you? no offense but it really makes you look petty.

Pirate Granny
03-19-2009, 11:55 PM
When we were at Disneyland Paris...you had to show proof of 'need' to get a wheelchair...and then you were issued a card and it allowed the person in the wheelchair and three others to use the handicapped lines...and to be really fair most of the time, the castmember would note who was last in line and you would wait until those persons were next before they let you on the ride. A very reasonable system. My father was in a wheelchair for more than a few times at WDW and rarely did we get to the head of a line...to be truthful the most convenience was in the bus lines, where you got to board first...and just so you all know...only my hubby went with my dad on the bus, the rest of us waited in the line with the rest of the people waiting for the bus...only time we did jump the queue was when we weren't going to get on the same bus...and that was at Xmas time, leaving the park very late.
:pirate:

gueli
03-20-2009, 06:57 AM
first of all, I am one of those people you all hate. I look normal except for the fact i'm fat, i can walk, i'm fairly strong.... why let something like this ruin the disney magic for you? no offense but it really makes you look petty.

WE do not hate you !!!
again- no one should question anyones use of a wheelchair or ECV.

My biggest problem is that disney should have some type of 'ecv' lane/walkway to help prevent minor accidents from happening. A logical place where ecv riders could drive their ecv's safely. they are vehicles after all...

As a note- my dearest & best friend died because of his immobility & weight problems. Just because someone is heavy does not make them unloved. My DD still misses uncle Jeff.:beer: I wish I could have done more for him, because he ment a lot to my family. For anyone who is truely overweight, it has to start from yourself to start on a healthier lifestyle- you would be amazed at how many people would help you on your way.

DisneyFr33k
03-20-2009, 11:00 AM
I witnessed an accidet at Epcot 2 years ago. A motorized chair ran into a woman, knocking her down and just kept going, not even looking back. Now, I am not disputing that persons need for the chair, but he could have done the right thing and stopped to see if she was alright. The woman was screaming in pain and couldn't get up. I had to go get a cast member at the gift shop in which they called for security to get medical help.

We've been to Disney 5 times over the past 6 years and have noticed a remarkable climb in the number of motorized chairs. The only time it bothers us is when we wait in line for busses. On some buses that don't have rows, the chair along with the occupant takes up 4 seats. And this isn't counting their family members. Many times we've had to wait another 15-30 minutes for another bus due this.

Don't mis-read me. If they need the chair, I'll wait for another bus. However, if there has been a sharp increase in people needing these chairs, I wonder if Disney could have busses designed just to pick up these folks and their families?

DisneyDoug2
03-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't have a problem with anyone that uses a wheel chair or ECV, my biggest issue is that most believe that since they are in one that they are entitled to have the right-a-way. I don't know how many times I have been in a large crowd walking out of the park and here comes an ECV up behind me and my family expecting us to move out of the way because they are in one and can move faster then everyone else and proceed to bump into you!

leighe
03-20-2009, 01:12 PM
We've seen groups of teenagers switching off pushing each other in wheelchairs on several trips.

I agree with most - I think it's abused a lot more than people realize.

EmmMOM2
03-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Why doesn't Disney require a valid handicapped sticker from your vehicle to be able to rent a wheelchair? Or at the least a doctor note or something?
Maybe handicapped or over 60 only please!! ??

BamaJenn
03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
first of all, I am one of those people you all hate. I look normal except for the fact i'm fat, i can walk, i'm fairly strong, but i have such a bad back and knees that after walking 50 yards, i will have to sit down for 5-10 minutes until i can get up and walk another 50 yards or so. therefore I do rent an evc when i am there...i don't feel bad one bit. First of all I pay, it's not free. second of all when you do go through the handicapped aisle people make comments and you also miss part of the "show" by going a different route. next time you're at disney look around and notice no one is paying attention where they are going..that's fine when you're walking i have to pay veyr strict attention cuase if i bump into somoene cause they are spacing off and move suddenly accross my path, suddenly, I'm the jerk...
personally, if you don't need an EVC consider youself lucky. I'd love to walk down main street. I'd love to walk through tower of terror,...i've nver seen the inside of that ride.
I think you should just consider youself lucky, and move on. why let something like this ruin the disney magic for you? no offense but it really makes you look petty.
I totally know what you mean! When I had to use a wheelchair on one of our visits it became very obvious to me that those who are in this situation do indeed miss out on a lot. Not only do you miss some of the great details that Disney so wonderfully includes in their queues but very often miss a preshow.

I called it at the beginning of this thread... it was going to turn ugly. I think some of the comments here are hurtful and disrespectful... and that is from both points of view. Sure, it's a pet peeve of some to see people abusing the system or to get "cut off" or "hit" by someone in an ECV not paying attention... but if you have the use of your legs and are able to make it through your day without the help of a chair, then I think you should count your blessings and not pass judgement on those in the chair, whether they are abusing the system or not, because the fact is that unless you are that person, or their family, you have absolutely zero way of knowing if your perception is correct.

faline
03-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Why doesn't Disney require a valid handicapped sticker from your vehicle to be able to rent a wheelchair? Or at the least a doctor note or something?
Maybe handicapped or over 60 only please!! ??

Not everyone who needs a wheelchair is handicapped. For instance, I had foot surgery and had thought about renting an ECV for my last trip as I was not sure that I could hold up to the walking demand needed on this trip. My sister-in-law does not use a wheelchair in day to day life but, due to her arthritis, she does rent one when she travels to Disney.

4ubie1
03-20-2009, 01:56 PM
I think that Disney needs to come up with a better means of handling this topic. There should be some rule instigated that requires you to show some ID/paperwork proving that you need this device. I think that if you have need for such devices you have a right to them. But the parks need to readjust with the times.

1. Maybe have lanes made especially for these devices so they are not running people over
2. The person in the wheelchair has to wait until the person that was at the end of the line when they themselves enter the attraction has reached the front of the line before they can get in/on
3. Apply the above for lines waiting for buses and/or have a stipulation that only 2-3 people can accompany the wheelchair onto that bus

Basically Disney needs to make up some new rules and then stick to them!!

BamaJenn
03-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I think that Disney needs to come up with a better means of handling this topic. There should be some rule instigated that requires you to show some ID/paperwork proving that you need this device.
Unfortunately Disney would be setting themselves up for lawsuits if they did this. HIPPA laws protect us from having to disclose information like this. Plus, as a PP said, not all people who need a chair are actually "disabled".

Nini5055
03-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I will say that our trip last year was less than spectacular and in part due to the fact that my Father was using an ECV. We felt the need to walk in front of him and his ECV due to the fact that people would walk directly into his path...with no notice!!! ECV's do NOT stop on a dime. Even with us walking in front of him it was like people wouldn't move. :confused:

Far far far too stressful...I feel for the individuals who require ECV's and wheelchairs. It is really sad that they are being utilized by individuals not requiring them. Note: we also rented the ECV from a third party NOT WDW.

BTW...just because you have an injury, had surgery, are unable to walk for medical reasons does NOT make you any less needful of mobility assistance. It does not make you guilty for using it and you should never feel the need to justify assistance. My father is a large & tall man. Yes, he has gained weight because his mobility has been severely hampered (now completely unable to walk). While others who look at him don't see the heart disease and that he takes Nitroglycerin wherever he goes, they don't see the knees that require replacement surgery, they don't see the COPD, diabetes, arthritis, ankle that was broken last year in a fall that didn't heal properly (operations are avoided for diabetics as much as possible), they don't see the swelling so bad he needs to elevate his feet...they just see a FAT man.:( a reason for them to have to wait at the bus stop :( another person getting ahead in line :( someone they feel is capable of walking if he would just loose weight :(

BTW...my daughter sees "Papa" who used to pick her up at school everyday, but now cannot. :( She has memories of her last trip to WDW with Papa and does not understand why he can't come back with us this year...she loves him and so do we.

Individuals know when they are being rude and just plain wrong. That goes for pedestrians AND ECV/wheelchair users alike. It does not matter if they are at WDW or just around town...they KNOW who they are. SHAME ON THEM!!!!

Disney Doll
03-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Not everyone who needs a wheelchair is handicapped. For instance, I had foot surgery and had thought about renting an ECV for my last trip as I was not sure that I could hold up to the walking demand needed on this trip. My sister-in-law does not use a wheelchair in day to day life but, due to her arthritis, she does rent one when she travels to Disney.

But in both those cases you should be able to easily get a note from your doctor stating that you need to use a chair.

I don't have a problem with anyone that uses a wheel chair or ECV, my biggest issue is that most believe that since they are in one that they are entitled to have the right-a-way. I don't know how many times I have been in a large crowd walking out of the park and here comes an ECV up behind me and my family expecting us to move out of the way because they are in one and can move faster then everyone else and proceed to bump into you!

My family witnessed a couple of ECVs leaving the AK after the parade. It's pretty crowded that time of day as many people are exiting so the traffic was pretty congested. The two ECV drivers were honking continuously and grumbling about how people wouldn't get out of their way. First of all, the crowd was moving as fast as possible and even people who wanted to get out of the way had no other place to go. It was pretty astounding and those are exactly the kind of people who give ECV users a bad name. I think that kind of behavior unfortunately is becoming more common (I know we've witnessed more) and as that happens it gets harder to recognize that those are just rude individuals not a reflection of ECVs in general. I think there is an abuse problem and that Disney has a responsibility to address it.

BamaJenn
03-20-2009, 02:41 PM
But in both those cases you should be able to easily get a note from your doctor stating that you need to use a chair.
What's next... to be able to use one of the ECVs in the grocery store or Walmart you'll have to have a note too? I don't know, if I was disabled or suffering from a medical condition or recovering from surgery etc. I'd be embarassed enough to have to be pushed around or in an ECV without having to be treated like that.

DisneyPrincess21
03-20-2009, 02:44 PM
but if you have the use of your legs and are able to make it through your day without the help of a chair, then I think you should count your blessings and not pass judgement on those in the chair, whether they are abusing the system or not, because the fact is that unless you are that person, or their family, you have absolutely zero way of knowing if your perception is correct.

:ditto::exactly::thanks:
Exactly my point, just because someone looks "normal" and "healthy" to you doesn't mean you have to right to pass judgement and decide that they must be abusing the system, because they don't look "sick".

And on a side note referring to a previous post. Just because you see a overweight person in a wheelchair or ecv doesn't mean they are in there because they are overweight, they could have had surgery or have other issues that prevent long distance walking. Many people are able to do walking in the normal lives, but there is so much walking required at Disney that some people are not able to do it without being in a lot of pain. And some have problem's that prevent them from doing alot of walking. So don't just assume that every overweight person using a wheelchair is doing so because they are too big to walk. That almost always isn't the case.

Bottom line, If everyone would just go to Disney and enjoy the magic, and stop worrying about who is doing what, and if the person in the wheelchair is really sick, Everyone would have a much nicer and relaxing time. Life's too short to worry about if the wheelchair line people got on the ride before or after you. As long as you get on the ride, that is all the matter's, not how long it took you to get there. :balloon:

BamaJenn
03-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Bottom line, If everyone would just go to Disney and enjoy the magic, and stop worrying about who is doing what, and if the person in the wheelchair is really sick, Everyone would have a much nicer and relaxing time. Life's too short to worry about if the wheelchair line people got on the ride before or after you. As long as you get on the ride, that is all the matter's, not how long it took you to get there. :balloon:
:thumbsup:AMEN!!!:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-20-2009, 03:31 PM
First of all, rude people are rude people whether they are thin, overweight, black, white, American, Hispanic, walking or riding an ECV....if you have an issue with rude people, that's fine and if they are doing something dangerous, report them...everyone likes to vent about people skipping lines or getting to go to the front of the line...fine.....obsessing over whether someone got one over on us and is using an ECV when they don't need it and letting it ruin your vacation you paid good money for...ridiculous....saying people should have to present a note showing why they need the device...unnecessary....being cruel and showing ignorance toward people with disabilities for whatever reason even if it is because they are overweight and have trouble walking...horribly mean...:mad:

I for one hope that nobody reading this thread who is disabled lets it keep them from going to DW because they have limited mobility:(....I am usually just too happy to be there to let one rude person ruin the entire trip and refuse to be mean to someone when I don't know their circumstances.

DisneyPrincess21
03-20-2009, 03:46 PM
First of all, rude people are rude people whether they are thin, overweight, black, white, American, Hispanic, walking or riding an ECV....if you have an issue with rude people, that's fine and if they are doing something dangerous, report them...everyone likes to vent about people skipping lines or getting to go to the front of the line...fine.....obsessing over whether someone got one over on us and is using an ECV when they don't need it and letting it ruin your vacation you paid good money for...ridiculous....saying people should have to present a note showing why they need the device...unnecessary....being cruel and showing ignorance toward people with disabilities for whatever reason even if it is because they are overweight and have trouble walking...horribly mean...:mad:

I for one hope that nobody reading this thread who is disabled lets it keep them from going to DW because they have limited mobility:(....I am usually just too happy to be there to let one rude person ruin the entire trip and refuse to be mean to someone when I don't know their circumstances.

:thumbsup: :yes:

RedHead
03-20-2009, 07:18 PM
To those questioning why they should have to stop to let ECV users pass by....you should think of it as a matter of self preservation. You wouldn't step out in front of a bicycle or a car right ? An ECV, even if driven slowly, takes a few feet to stop. If you step out in front of me...even given that I am a spectacular driver ;-)...I will likely run into you or over you. I'll feel real bad about it, but it will happen.

Yes, I DO step out in front of cars and bikes, when <U>I</U> have the right of way, and expect the vehicle to obey the traffic laws. Just because ANY vehicle is bigger than the pedestrian doesn't automatically give it additional rights.

And I know full well it does NOT take "a few feet" to stop an ECV traveling at a normal walking pace. Maybe one speeding through the park, yes - but not one at a pace a companion walking with them can maintain.

And you hit or run over me? with your ECV? Hope you have good liability insurance, because you have now caused me injury by your carelessness, and I will call my friend the attorney.

Have a magical day.

javamama
03-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Anyone who would take advantage of this situation does really anger me, especially after my party was part of a big fight at the bus stop at the Poly. An injustice to a little girl was done, not by the person renting the wheelchair but the 11 others with her---yep 11. I watched a little girl of about maybe 10 bake in the sun for over 30 minutes to go to AK, who was paralized while 11 healthy people got on the bus and this poor little girl watched---I can see two people go to help the lady in the wheelchair, since the little girls party was there first anyways(we got there before either party) It was a huge mess, three different families besides mine told these 11 to get off the bus to let this little girl on--a big fight started the bus driver did nothing let it happen, tons of swearing by the 11(and a few others:( The little girls family thanked everyone for trying to help them, but they explained it happens alot, but never as bad as this event. I was shocked. The woman may have really needed the chair, but the whole entourage was not needed--that was our point, be fair to someone who needs the spot especially a little kid. I loathe when people mess with older people, and kids:thedolls: Who can't fight back for themselves, or the little guy.

But on the other hand, Las Vegas is the same way dh and I watched 3 very large people walk the casino floor all day one day(you really noticed these people not to be rude, they dressed flashy, were loud, and we saw them alot) So at the breakfast buffet they drove up on ECV, we saw them walking the whole day before for at least 6 hours---it confused us:confused: So it is everywhere, not just WDW. They have commercials for scooters all day long how easy it is to buy one w/medicare/public aid/etc... so I think that contributes to it also. I needed one to grocery shop when I was pregnant w/my ds, and register for my baby shower. I had a complication that I couldn't walk around alot with so I needed to get out of my house after being on bedrest and house"arrest" for 3 1/2 months---I got lots of looks at the grocery store from people, my dh thought I was crazy even, but I needed it for my sanity and my health. I'm no one to judge anyone, sometimes I do wonder though...honestly.

Mousemates
03-20-2009, 11:22 PM
RedHead ...Yes, I DO step out in front of cars and bikes, when <U>I</U> have the right of way, and expect the vehicle to obey the traffic laws. Just because ANY vehicle is bigger than the pedestrian doesn't automatically give it additional rights.
No bigger doesn't mean extra rights...but having the right to do something, and it being prudent to do something are two different things. I have the right to step out into the crosswalk even when a dump truck is approaching...but doing so is not prudent. Yes, I could sue if I survive the encounter...but I'd rather forgo my right to cross (and the injury) in that situation. And anyway, lawsuits seldom make for a magical day. :mickey:

DisneyPrincess21
03-21-2009, 03:57 PM
And you hit or run over me? with your ECV? Hope you have good liability insurance, because you have now caused me injury by your carelessness, and I will call my friend the attorney.

Have a magical day.

:huh: All I can say is WOW :rolleyes:

(PS.And I don't mean that in a good way.)

DisneyPrincess21
03-21-2009, 03:59 PM
And anyway, lawsuits seldom make for a magical day. :mickey:

I guess it's magical for some people. ;) :rolleyes: :D

shev
03-21-2009, 05:07 PM
You know I have to say when my family and I were in disney,my favorite place in the world, two years ago I never really noticed the ECV's. I guess I'm just so happy to be there and way to busy looking at everything that my fellow disney goers are really not my business. I'm sorry to all the ECV users that I probably walked in front of because honestly I'm just oblivious. So if I get hit it will definitely be my fault and I'll be the one apologizing.

wedoada
03-21-2009, 09:56 PM
People who use wheelchairs and ECV's (at least those who have a disability as defined by the ADA) are considered pedestrians, even while using a mobility aid, and as pedestrians we have the same "right of way" as any other walkers.

If as some claim they can stop on a dime when someone or something unexpectedly crosses their path...well good for them. From my personal experience and from reading the many stories here....it doesn't seem to ring true in real life.

As to needing liability insurance...I think first there would need to be the ability to prove "carelessness" and not an "accident" and then there is alway the test of whether a "reasonable person" would step out in front of a car...no matter who had the "right of way".

I work for the local PD and if a pedestrian steps out in front of a car...even on the crosswalk...yes the driver could be charged but the family of the pedestrian that "proved they had the right of way" wouldn't get much solice out of those bragging rights if their loved one was injured or worse.

Most people don't INTEND to run into or over anyone with their ECV..in fact I am constantly watching out for people but accident still happen. We don't run into people because we want to it happens because we don't see you until its too late and NO we can't stop on a dime, even at a reasonable speed.

When I am in my wheelchair I get kicked, grabbed, backed into, farted on, people actually don't see the fat guy in the chair and walk right into the side of me and land in my lap. I've had people lean on my push handles and end up flipping my chair over and I've been litterally shoved out of the way when people wanted to get by me.

I've been sitting in line and heard people asking other why I didn't take the wheelchair line instead of using the line for "Normal people" and had my kids with me when people actually looked me in the eye and said in a very well meaning tone.. "wow, if I had to be in a wheelchair I think I'd kill myself"
through all that physical and mental pain and anguish I haven't needed to call my attorney friend yet...but that's just me. LOL

Mousemates
03-21-2009, 11:28 PM
I guess it's magical for some people. ;) :rolleyes: :D

:thumbsup:

Babyvett
03-22-2009, 01:51 AM
I think its crazy what this thread has become...

First, I agree with the OP about people abusing the use of ECVs. But, honestly, I think this is more a problem with Disney and not with the people renting the ECV. (Ducks the flying tomatoes).. Hear me out.

First, people rent ECV's for all sorts of reasons. I used one when I was 9 months pregnant at walmart because something about that place always caused major contractions while I walked around. (Unfortunately, it wouldn't start labor, just made it hard to walk.. lol).. Did I feel ashamed?? No, not in the last. I would do the same if I had some other reason to do so. People can use wheel chairs and ECVs for various reasons, and as many people stated in this thread, those reasons are not apparent. Also, yes, alot of people are lazy and don't feel like walking close to 8 miles a day in a park. Such is their right and for 35 bucks, they can choose not to. Do I agree with it, No, not really, but its their 35 bucks and their decision. One does not have to show medical necessity to use them, just have the 35 bucks to spend.

Now, if Disney made it less convienent for people to get "front line access" just for spending 35 bucks, I think people would be less likely to dish out the funds. Easiest way to do this is to allow all but one person in the party to be in line with the ECV and one (or two people if he wants to bring a buddy) to wait in the regular line. All would load on the ride when the person in the regular line got thru. Or as someone says Disney Paris does, wait until the person who entered the line at the same time the ECV party joined gets to the front.

As far as "rude ECVers".. I think most people who do ride one on a regular basis are pretty careful and observant to whats around them, but they are NOT perfect. You can't expect them to know exactly whats going thru someone's head to anticipate some idiot stopping to pick up a quarter on the walkway or someone bumping into them. I'd be willing to bet the rude people would be those "abusing" the ECV, thinking that it gives them absolute right to push ahead of everyone else or a fun turn of bumper cars. An ECV does not give someone the right to expect the crowds to part like the red sea to let them by (not saying anyone on this board has this attitude).

Again, i have absolutely no problem with people who need these things to use them.. And I don't necessarily think "Need" is clear cut. If a person can walk a park no problem but knows that the next day their going to be sore and worthless for the next to days of their trip, then I think they can say they "need" to rent one.

Renfairwedding
03-22-2009, 03:01 AM
Yes, I DO step out in front of cars and bikes, when <U>I</U> have the right of way, and expect the vehicle to obey the traffic laws. Just because ANY vehicle is bigger than the pedestrian doesn't automatically give it additional rights.

And I know full well it does NOT take "a few feet" to stop an ECV traveling at a normal walking pace. Maybe one speeding through the park, yes - but not one at a pace a companion walking with them can maintain.

Have a magical day. OMG :faint:

I had to stop and reply to this.

WOW. I set my chair for the slowest speed and still I end up with people in lap. (Power chairs are like wheel chairs No basket just lap) Most laugh as do I. I have gotten soda and popcorn spilled on me. Been rammed by strollers, Elbowed in the head and endless people tripping over me cause there are not paying attention.

Since last I checked Disney has no traffic control on the pathways so who has right of way? As with the walking public Scooters and wheelchairs riders may not see every one in all directions. I would think in this situation since the wheeled device can cause injury I myself would get out of the way.

This is not even getting into the times when two Scooters meet. I my self take the "lets play chicken approach." I set the control for ramming speed. ((( AGAIN JUST KIDDING :blush: )))

Now I have to look at my liability and have to install a video camra to record my travels for latter litigation.

I know.... Lets all be happy that we are at Disney and have fun. Yes someone may have "scooted" through your perceived right of way, but just think of how much more time you get to spend in the park instead of the first aid office.

Melanie
03-22-2009, 04:17 AM
Since this thread is becoming more like :beat: than :mickey: and wouldn't be very helpful in planning a WDW vacation, we'll be closing it up now.