PDA

View Full Version : MNSSHP rain outs???

tink179
03-16-2009, 02:52 PM
We're planning on getting tickets for this in September when we go. It's happening on the 18th, 22, and 25th while we're there. My b-day is on the 25th, but it's also on a weekend, so I don't know about how busy it will be. I was leaning more towards the 22nd because it would be during the week. Also, I heard if the party gets canceled due to weather they will give you tickets for another date instead. Is that true? I'm wondering if we should plan on going the 18th that way if it gets canceled we'll have at least 2 other dates we can trade for. What does everyone else think? Who else has had experience with your party getting canceled, what do they do? TIA:thumbsup:

Gregandmel
03-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I had heard if WDW cancels the event then they need to reschedule it for you! However, we went back in October and we had one heck of a downpour for several hours right at the start of the party. In fact, they had tornado warnings for places close by. We were DRENCHED within minutes of arriving. It stopped around 9pm, but they didn't cancel it, and from what I could tell - EVERYONE with tickets still showed up! :-) I'd imagine it would have to be something really MAJOR for them to cancel - like a hurricane warning or something. Have fun at the party! It's fantastic!!!!!!

Tick-Tock
03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
I However, we went back in October and we had one heck of a downpour for several hours right at the start of the party. In fact, they had tornado warnings for places close by. We were DRENCHED within minutes of arriving. It stopped around 9pm, but they didn't cancel it, and from what I could tell - EVERYONE with tickets still showed up! :-) I'd imagine it would have to be something really MAJOR for them to cancel - like a hurricane warning or something.

We had a similar experience in early October 2007. It rained steadily (not lightly, either) for the first few hours, but no cancellation. The rain impacted a lot of what makes the party special (no Trick or Treating with characters along the walk between Toontown and Tomorrowland, no villains show, no headless horseman before the parade - in fact, I think the first parade was cancelled altogether). We did have the second parade and the fireworks, and non-character trick-or-treating under covered locations, and that's about it. It was still fun, but not nearly as fun as non-rainy parties.

Next time, if there are multiple parties scheduled during my trip and it's not the end of October when parties routinely sell out beforehand, I think I'll wait to buy tickets until I can be sure there's no rain.

Strmchsr
03-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I agree that it generally takes a hurricane to cancel one of these special parties. It would be WAY too difficult for WDW to reschedule everyone so rainouts are almost unheard of, even though tropical downpours are not. If it concerns you then don't buy your tickets until you get there. Weekends often sell out beforehand, but the weekdays are usually okay until you get close to Halloween.

joonyer
03-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Don't count on a rain check unless they close the park. Which won't happen, except in case of an actual hurricane. MK will be open, even in a pouring rain/thunderstorm/lightning. Just be prepared, Ponchos, rain coat etc. and enjoy the (usually) reduced crowd. The possibility of bad weather is just a risk you have to take.

1EeyoreFan
03-16-2009, 08:45 PM
We went a couple of yrs. ago in Sept. andof it poured buckets! It rained for a solid two hours or more of the party-lightening included!

There was no headless horseman but there was a 2nd parade and fireworks. The fireworks were postponed but still took place evintually.

We stayed for the majority of the party and on the way out they gave us a voucher good for a one day admission for each of our party.

Since we have AP we were able to trade them in for the Pirate and Princess Party later that yr.! (hate to admit it but it did rain some at that party as well!) lol

Belster
03-17-2009, 07:39 PM
When I booked my tickets last year I actually asked this question and was told that we would not be refunded or compensated due to weather.

MushuGrl
03-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Eyeore, you must have been at the party we went to. I had heard that folks got a free pass to Magic Kingdom the next day, which did us no good because we were leaving.

BugeyedMuggy
03-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Unless you want tickets for the 31st (which you won't) I would do as we do and wait for the best day and buy tickets when your down there. They will not sell out a couple days b-4 and just buy them at the hotel when your sure the weather is good.

DisneyCouture
03-23-2009, 11:41 AM
We had a similar experience in early October 2007. It rained steadily (not lightly, either) for the first few hours, but no cancellation. The rain impacted a lot of what makes the party special (no Trick or Treating with characters along the walk between Toontown and Tomorrowland, no villains show, no headless horseman before the parade - in fact, I think the first parade was cancelled altogether).

This is exactly what happened to us. Maybe we were at the same party? They didn't cancel and they wouldn't give us a credit to go to the next party. We were soaked and it wasn't much fun. If you can wait to see what the weather is going to be it would be more beneficial to you.