PDA

View Full Version : To go or not to go?

wilcat
03-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Just a little background my DH lost his job at the end of November and has not had any luck in finding work. :( We did take a trip down in December 08 beause we already had it paid for. On March 5th my father passed away :cry: and I am so stressed and tired I thought I might like to do a solo trip in September. I figure the planning would keep me sane for the next few months and hopefully DH will find a job by then. What would you do? Play it safe and not spend the money or go and get some downtime? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cathy

Seasonscraps
03-16-2009, 02:03 PM
I am very sorry about your father. :( :( HUGS!!!!!

But I would wait a bit before planning a vacation - it will only cause more stress down the line if it takes a while for DH to find another job. I hope your DH finds something soon!

PetefromRI
03-16-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad,I lost mine 4 years ago while my wife and I were in Disney.Very,very sad but life goes on and it will get better,believe me.I'm in construction so I can tell you a thing or two about layoffs also.I think right now,just chill out and get your house in order.You probably wouldn't enjoy Disney right now between your hubby's layoff and the loss of your Dad.Disney will always be there so I'd wait until maybe a little better time in your life.Hang in there,as I said before,It will get better.God Bless.

Nini5055
03-16-2009, 02:34 PM
I am sorry for the loss of your father.:hug:

I agree with the other posters in that you may want to let things at home settle a little bit before planning another trip.

Tigerinvestigator
03-16-2009, 04:35 PM
My advice would be go with your heart. :thumbsup: You know what is best for your family and many people are not taking vacations now that absolutely can afford it. Fear is driving this "recession" and I absolutely refuse to let fear control me. Why not plan the trip and just keep the refund dates in mind in case you can't afford it when the time comes. Then you can cancel without penalty and start planning another trip. If you can afford it then go! Don't let fear of the unknown keep you from enjoying your life!:D.......now I think I will take my own advice and plan another trip!!:)

princessamygrant
03-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Another option may be to book the trip by using your Disney credit card (via Chase). They give you six months to pay off the trip interest free. They also allow you cancel the trip without penalty as long as you cancel 30 days in advance (I think it's 30, but possibly 45).

You could book the trip, plan it, and then evaluate where things are at in late July/early August. THat would give you something to do now, but the option to cancel if DH still hasn't found work by then.

Hope that helps. Hang in there. It seems to just be tough all around right now.

Hugs,
Marieke

tjstrike
03-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Sorry for your loss... These are all good ideas, I know we're crunched for money right now but we are still taking our annual trip to Disney. Kids are only kids once.

grumpyguy
03-18-2009, 07:07 AM
sorry 'bout your pop:(
i know if i knew about disney when my father died it would have helped in the mourning process being somewhere happy for a while.
your heart will guide you.
best wishes...:mickey:

Disney Doll
03-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Sorry for your loss! That's a tough situation to be in. If it were me I would wait. Finances are likely to be stressful enough without adding vacation expenses. Even if your DH finds a job now it will likely take a while to catch up from months without work. Good luck with your decision!

disneyboundagain
03-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Sorry about your dad, but hopefully you had a strong relationship. My father is still alive, but we haven't spoken in 8 years, even though I have done everything humanly possible to mend the rift.

I do know about losing your job, though. I lost my job on Dec 10th of last year, less than 24 hours before our flight left for DW. Trust me, I was one of those people that everyone asks "how can anyone be so miserable in DW." Fortunately I was able to find a job 2 weeks after we got home.

I have a pressed penny of the Contemporary that I keep in my wallet since our last trip. I promised myself that we will return some day. Now we are very seriously considering a trip later this Dec. Should we go? Considering the economy, considering I just started a new job, and considering DW works for a bank, which is one of the most unstable careers right now, there is absolutely NO WAY we should go. But we are. We need it. We look forward to it. The kids look forward to it. We need the countdown (275 days, not that I'm counting).

So, only you know if you have the finances to go. I would think that you may want to wait until DH finds a job first, but if you can afford it either way, I say go for it. You only live once, so you may as well enjoy the ride.

BMan62
03-19-2009, 10:06 AM
In that your original post stated that it would be a SOLO trip, I would have to say - and everybody can beat on me for being the meanie - NO. It sounds, to me, like this would be a selfish 'Hooray for me, to heck with you' trip.

I understand your loss, I have had a father, father-in-law, two uncles, and a sister pass in the recent past and know what a trip like that would do for my spirits, but with your husband out of work, can you really afford it? I would think financial stability would be much more important at this time.

Sorry for being the downer.

wilcat
03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have a very supportive husband who wants me to go on a trip to relax and unwind, and I have decided to go down in June. My niece will be there celebrating her 11th birthday so I am going down and surprise her. Money will not be a problem for now as my Dad left me a small inheritance and it looks like DH maybe getting a job soon. Again thank for you thoughts and suggestions.

Cathy

DANAM
03-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Good for you!!! I think everyone deserves some me time every now and then. You just need to clear your head and that's wonderful your husband supports you. Have fun on your trip and I hope everything else works out for you.