PDA

View Full Version : DDE (Tbls in W'land) - question re: it, and is it worth it??

Dsnygirl
03-14-2009, 02:09 AM
I'm considering the Tables in Wonderland instead of the DDP for our fall trip, as my DD10 doesn't really eat all adult meals, and to pay the adult price for the DDP for her really irks me. I can manage to make ADR's at most of the participating restaurants, as most of them are favorites anyway...

My first question -- I am the only AP holder in our family. So, if we order as a family, is our whole bill 20% off, or only my portion of the bill? If that's the case, T in W'land certainly wouldn't be worth it for us.

My second question -- do those of you who use the program, do you think it's worth it? Have you compared the cost to the DDP? We definitely saved $$ w/t he DDP last trip, but we also purposely chose the more expensive restaurants to eat at, to get the most for our money. We felt stuffed most of the time, but hated the idea of wasting the credits! So, I'm wondering if we'd save money this way, as well as time -- we wouldn't feel so pressured to have all these scheduled meals. We'd definitely make our ADR's for dinner or bkfst, but we could probably skip quite a few lunch/counter service meals and get by on the snacks we usually bring.

Thanks for any input!! :thanks:

Natazu
03-14-2009, 02:28 AM
Hey hon,

Your discount card will be good for the entire table, up to 10 people.

We haven't used the card for a couple of years now because we've been using the Dining Plan but I still think it's a good deal. The way Julia eats, it may be better to go with the TiW card instead of the plan. It might be fun for you guys to look at the menus with her and see what she might want to try, then make Dan do the math. ;)

Always,

Jym

Dsnygirl
03-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Hey stranger!!

Boy is it good to see my nighttime partner around!! :D

Thanks for the tips.... I'm thinking the same thing, we like most of the restaurants that participate, and we can get by with the few that don't. I just hated paying for food she didn't eat, and I also hated having to keep Emma on the children's menu, b/c it was pretty boring for her. So, I'm going to play with the menus and see what we can come up with....

(Off topic - When are you guys going this year, btw?? How's the little man??)

VWL Mom
03-14-2009, 07:16 AM
As Jym said, it is off the cost of the entire party. It worked very well for us as we like appetizers rather than dessert and because we do like our :marg: :beer: & :wine: which is also included in the 20% discount.

KylesMom
03-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Our savings last trip with the TiW card was $263 (less the membership fee), and I'm anticipating the discount on our next trip will be about the same. We typically schedule one big ADR daily, and it works well for us.

The most important thing to note is where the card is accepted.
I'm wondering if we'd save money this way, as well as time -- we wouldn't feel so pressured to have all these scheduled meals. With the exception of the Value Resort Food Courts and Moderates that do not have a TS restaurant, the only place you can get the discount for CS meals is a few locations within Animal Kingdom. You would still need to schedule ADRs for TS restaurants - that is where the card is accepted. If you're considering the TiW card, you're still going to need to schedule your TS meals.

Although the Intercot planner says that the DDP would be a good deal for us, we also like our :beer: :marg: :wine: and the 20% savings really pays off for us. With the increase in price, however, it will take another TS meal to "break even" and see the savings. Without cocktails, that would be the equivalent to the discount on one meal for the three of us at Ohana.

CaptSmee
03-14-2009, 02:15 PM
We have been using TIW for a few years now. Tried the DDP and it doesn't fit our needs. We would never eat as much food as you do on the DDP. We always have 1 CS & 1 Sitdown per day, and we rarely eat a 3 course meal. We also visit WDW about 2-3 times per year so usage of TIW pays for itself after the 1st visit for us!

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I has worked out very well for us in the past, especially if you have a larger group.
We normally do 2 character breakfasts and 2 dinner buffets per trip, with 5 people. Last yr we had 8 people for our June trip so we recouped the cost easily then. The savings we garnered when the 3 of us made a quick trip in October and the $$ we will save when 7 of us go this June are just icing on the cake.:thumbsup:

One thing we make a point of doing is scheduling 2 trips with 365 days so we maximize use of the DDE (oops TiW) along with our APs. :D

Diz-Knee
03-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Okay, so for those of you who use it I have a question.

We will be there with my in-laws - a total of 3 couples. We would be the card/membership holder. Obviously our entire party can get the discount as long as they are with us, however will they let us split the bill 3 ways with the discount, or will we have to pay for the meal and have them reimburse us?

Maleficent's Dad
03-14-2009, 05:17 PM
We will be there with my in-laws - a total of 3 couples. We would be the card/membership holder. Obviously our entire party can get the discount as long as they are with us, however will they let us split the bill 3 ways with the discount, or will we have to pay for the meal and have them reimburse us?
We've had this problem as well - and in my experiences, the card holder pays the bill. If you split it into separate bills, they don't give everyone the discount. I don't know if this is a steadfast rule, but that has been my experience (on a few occasions).

wendy*darling
03-14-2009, 07:03 PM
will they let us split the bill 3 ways with the discount, or will we have to pay for the meal and have them reimburse us?
True. You will have to get one check in order for the discount to apply to all diners.
You can settle who pays who later. I'd give your travel partners a heads up so they have cash to pay you, or however you decide to handle it. But the discount will only apply to the check for the TiW cardholder.

Natazu
03-14-2009, 07:12 PM
(Off topic - When are you guys going this year, btw?? How's the little man??)
We're targeting Oct 15 - 29th (dodging UT Football home games). Alex is doing great. We had to lower the crib bottom the other day.

DizneyRox
03-15-2009, 08:51 AM
It is worth mentioning, TiW now forces an automatic 18% gratuity regardless of party size. If it matters, now you know, if not, no biggie.

Dsnygirl
03-15-2009, 10:37 AM
We're targeting Oct 15 - 29th (dodging UT Football home games). Alex is doing great. We had to lower the crib bottom the other day.
:D We're thinking about the 22-Nov1.... if it works out for us, it'd be so great to see you guys!! :thumbsup:

DizneyRox, thanks for the tidbit -- we were aware, but some others may not be. We figure it's okay, as most of the time we've done b/w 18-20%, dependent on the service, and most of the participating restaurants that we've been to had good waitstaff. So we'll keep our fingers crossed that that continues... :)

dolphinmickey9170
03-15-2009, 05:18 PM
I have been the receiver of the good graces of another card holder. The wait staff did not split the bill and we would have had to pay separately. I just tossed cash to my friends! This worked the best for us.

We will be trying this out for the first time this year, with three trips total, so I suspect it will more than pay for itself and save me money in the long run. I'll report back my actual costs and savings!!

The DDP used to be a great deal, until they changed it. I now spend an extra 30-50 dollars per meal for the apps and the tip. Only saving one dollar per day per person is not worth the $$ for the plan. Besides, I always have to be sure to spend all my credits, it is a hassle for me.

Here we go again...
03-15-2009, 05:28 PM
It is worth mentioning, TiW now forces an automatic 18% gratuity regardless of party size. If it matters, now you know, if not, no biggie.

I was about to post the same thing. It is just like the DDE card. You get 20% off but are charged an 18% gratuity. Most people end up giving the 20% back in tip, so you are pretty much getting the card to pay for the tip.

Natazu
03-16-2009, 12:57 AM
:D We're thinking about the 22-Nov1.... if it works out for us, it'd be so great to see you guys!! :thumbsup:Awesome!

CanadianWDWFan
03-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi Blythe,

We are sitting on the fence with this one right now. Our DVC membership gives us 10% of at some places. So spending the extra money on the TiW card for an extra 10% is making it harder to decide. While we decided that the DDP is not really for us anymore maybe we should go with TiW card any way. After all as it was noted :beer::marg: :wine::papple::papple:(lapu lapu!!) are discounted as well on the card.

Hey, you've seen Harry, when he was still under the children's menu on the DDP, he would go out starving. By purchasing our meals with the DDE card he was able to get what he wanted and leave happy!

BTW, think you guys can swing an end of August trip as well? :D We are going to be down Aug 23-Sept 4. This goes for you and Rachel as well Jym!

Dsnygirl
03-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Hey, you've seen Harry, when he was still under the children's menu on the DDP, he would go out starving. By purchasing our meals with the DDE card he was able to get what he wanted and leave happy!

BTW, think you guys can swing an end of August trip as well? :D We are going to be down Aug 23-Sept 4. This goes for you and Rachel as well Jym!
Hi Brian! We've got the opposite problem w/ the girls... Emma got really bored with the children's meals, and could've easily shared with one of us, and Julia didn't always want the adult menu food and would have been happy with the occas. children's meal. Dan & I talked about it yesterday, and I think we're going to go for it (Tables in W'land) and see what we think. We really felt like the DDP was just too much food, as we hated to not use a credit and thus were always planning where/when to eat... we could easily skip meals a few times. We always bring trail mix and granola bars, and I'd rather munch out of the backpack and keep going sometimes!!

I'd love to swing a trip in August, too... who knows, maybe things will go our way and we'll decide at the last minute... I do happen to have time off that week... :plot:

Natazu
03-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Cool, I'm an "as well as". Maybe we can come for a couple of days. I'll check tickets.

jcvalenti
03-22-2009, 08:43 PM
We got the DDE (TIW) last June ... 3 of our party of 15 bought cards. We were there 14 days last summer, 5 days at Food and Wine, and are going back for 10 days this summer.

We like to eat at a nice restaurant daily, and drink when on vacation. A lot. Usually at least 3 or 4 bottles of wine per dinner, plus some cocktails. Given that the TIW card gets you 20% off of alcohol as well (and also works at the Rose & Crown), it pays for itself quickly.

We prefer this to the DDP because we have a lot of kids who would otherwise have to pay for an adult plate, and because we don't like to be limited on where we dine.

Financially, it's a really good investment for us when you're looking at $200 - 300 per family for dinner every night.

Dsnygirl
03-22-2009, 10:54 PM
We got the DDE (TIW) last June ... 3 of our party of 15 bought cards. We were there 14 days last summer, 5 days at Food and Wine, and are going back for 10 days this summer.

So, question for you, since you were at the F&W Festival with TIW... did it work for any of the kiosks, or any of the alcohol in Epcot?? If so, boy oh boy would that be sweet, b/c although we do order some drinks when we have dinner anywhere but MK, we tend to do most of our drinking "around the world" at Epcot, and are really looking forward to the F&W Festival again this year. But haven't seen any info on whether or not your TIW card gets you anything there...

:thanks:

jcvalenti
03-23-2009, 10:23 AM
So, question for you, since you were at the F&W Festival with TIW... did it work for any of the kiosks, or any of the alcohol in Epcot?? If so, boy oh boy would that be sweet, b/c although we do order some drinks when we have dinner anywhere but MK, we tend to do most of our drinking "around the world" at Epcot, and are really looking forward to the F&W Festival again this year. But haven't seen any info on whether or not your TIW card gets you anything there...

:thanks:

The TIW card does NOT work at the food & wine kiosks (that would have been great if it did).

It is supposed to work only at table service restaurants ... though we have had it accepted at the bar at Rose & Crown when ordering just drinks before.

I just made it a point to ask everywhere if they take it.

FYI, since I don't recall it being mentioned before - another nice perk (especially if you're not on property) of the TIW card is that it gets you free valet parking at any WDW resort. Since we stay off property and are usually driving in just for dinner, that's a nice added feature.

We still tip the valets, but it's a nice feature ... especially since we go in summer a lot and it's usually very busy.

Maleficent's Dad
03-23-2009, 04:37 PM
It is supposed to work only at table service restaurants ... though we have had it accepted at the bar at Rose & Crown when ordering just drinks before.
The R&C Pub is listed as one of the establishments that does accept the TIW Card. There are also several Counter Service establishments that do accept the card - these being mostly in the AK, various resorts, and some at DTD. Cookes of Dublin accepts it as well.

jcvalenti
03-24-2009, 10:34 AM
The R&C Pub is listed as one of the establishments that does accept the TIW Card. There are also several Counter Service establishments that do accept the card - these being mostly in the AK, various resorts, and some at DTD. Cookes of Dublin accepts it as well.

Yes, but the R&C is only supposed to accept it in the dining room. They usually will accept it for drink only discounts when ordering drinks at the bar. Which is great when you tend to order as many Black & Tans as I do.

Like I said, regardless of what the brochure says, just present it everywhere you go and see who takes it.

Maleficent's Dad
03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes, but the R&C is only supposed to accept it in the dining room.
For the record, the Rose and Crown Pub is listed *officially* as one of the establishments that accepts the card! :thumbsup:

CanadianWDWFan
03-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Like I said, regardless of what the brochure says, just present it everywhere you go and see who takes it.
This is what we did, when it was the DDE, we were presently surprised at the number of places that accepted the card but weren't listed.

The valet parking is a really nice perk as well.

offwego
03-24-2009, 02:08 PM
just as an FYI we were able to split a bill at both Ohana's and Chef's de France and have them apply the discount.

We enjoy the card and have found it works for us (being wine and appetizer people) better than the revamped DDP that is not quite as flexible with just an entree and dessert method.

Disney_Barbie
03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
My first question -- I am the only AP holder in our family. So, if we order as a family, is our whole bill 20% off, or only my portion of the bill? If that's the case, T in W'land certainly wouldn't be worth it for us.

I think this is one of those questions that only a family can answer for themselves. We will be purchasing TinW for our next trip (first time for us). We are a married couple that do a lot of nice sit-down & signature dinners. We were planning to purchase the Delux Dinning plan before we decided to go with TinW. For us, there was only 1 sure way to deside. We looked at the menus for all the places we planned to eat, and consitered what we would order in the 2 different occations (DDP vs. TinW, which granted is easier when you've been to the restuarnt cause you already know what your favs there are) For us, TinW was the SURE winner by a long shot. The main reason it won out was that we like to drink with dinner, so saving 20% on liquor was a big deal. The other reason it won out is that when on DDP we order a lot of food that we do not need and rarely take more than 2 bites of. IE - we practically never get dessert (unless it's ilke our anniversary or something & even then we share one) and we generally either share an app or don't get one at all (since we were considering the delux plan it still comes with apps) so that's 2-3 items that granted we order when we're on the DDP because their free, it seems silly to not even try a bite! But it's essentially wasted food!

When we crunched the #s for our circumstances, we found the TinW would not only pay for itself but LONG surpass the savings of the DDP in less than 1/2 our trip. Plus, we'll have 1-2 more trips durning that same year of usage. So for us TinW was the way to go. But that was just our particular case, for other families it might be quite different.