PDA

View Full Version : Royal Family 5k/Anniversary Trip Report - Day 1

brewcrew26
03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Day 1 - Wednesday, March 4

We had an 11 a.m. flight on AirTran (our first time using this airline) to Orlando. We got in to town on schedule and picked up our rental car. I could barely sleep the night before. I was like the little “I’m too excited to sleep” kid. We drove to ASMo for check-in. Luckily, we made it right before a huge busload of ME riders. Art, the castmember who helped us, was awesome. He was totally talking up the new American Idol attraction at DHS.

We weren’t able to get a room in our first picks – Toy Story or Fantasia – but we were actually really happy with our location in the Mighty Ducks building. For the future, the Mighty Ducks buildings at ASMo are MUCH closer to ASMu’s main building and bus stop.

This was our first time at a value resort and we were very surprised. The rooms weren’t as small and dank as some reviewers have made them out to be. We were able to comfortably fit three adults in our room. The bathroom was a little hard to concentrate with the psychedelic wallpaper with filmstrips and spinning stars. The bedroom was decked out in a Mighty Ducks motif and the bedspreads had crazy and colorful images of everything from Buzz Lightyear to 101 Dalmatians.

We were all starved from the flight and didn’t have reservations for dinner until 7:50 p.m. at Café May Café. So, we got our refillable mugs (love the new designs!) and some quick bites at the food court. We didn’t use the food court that often but it had the necessities. The Mickey waffles were tasty in the morning. The garden salad was freshly made. DH liked the breakfast sandwich and DB liked the burger fix. I actually really enjoyed the kid meal’s quantities. It was more than enough for my appetite, a lot cheaper, and it came with an extra beverage. Otherwise, we stopped at the grocery store (Yay Gooding’s at the Crossroads) for some morning treats.

We relaxed for a bit in the room. There’s just something about turning on your Disney TV and being inundated by Stacy’s Top 7 must-dos at WDW. It’s hokey, but addicting. Really, I could just watch the Disney cartoon channel all day long. I can never get tired of it!

Finally, it was about that time to head over the BC for dinner. We didn’t have to wait at all. It was our first time trying this buffet. It wasn’t a true New England-style clambake, but it was still yummy. All I need to say: Oreo BonBons. (I’ll have more in-depth about the food shortly).

After dinner, we were pooped from a long day. Plus, we have an early day at Animal Kingdom and the Studios on Thursday. More to come…

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Sounds like a great start to your trip :mickey:

PrettyMinnie
03-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Glad to hear Stacy is still broadcasting! Triple Mountain Whammy! Classic. :minnie:

faline
03-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Nice start to your Disney trip!

dtootsie42
03-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Nice start to your trip!

brian2000boston
03-15-2009, 07:58 PM
What a great start!

KylesMom
03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Glad to hear your trip down was uneventful. Let the magic begin! :thumbsup:

yjgirl32
03-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Great start to your trip. Thanks for sharing.

SBETigg
03-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Oreo Bon-bons. Mmm. That sounds pretty good right now. I'm glad the rooms were much more comfortable than you expected.

DizNee143
03-16-2009, 11:05 AM
sounds like a great start to your vacation..off to read more!! :mickey:

pdrlkr
03-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

Bethis26fan
03-16-2009, 05:38 PM
sounds like a nice start

mouseketeer mom
03-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Great start! And a great idea ordering off the childrens menu when your appetite is smaller.

Nanners
03-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Woohoo for Day One!

yourmagicalguide
03-19-2009, 12:52 PM
We were all starved from the flight and didn’t have reservations for dinner until 7:50 p.m. at Café May Café. So, we got our refillable mugs (love the new designs!) and some quick bites at the food court. We didn’t use the food court that often but it had the necessities. The Mickey waffles were tasty in the morning. The garden salad was freshly made. DH liked the breakfast sandwich and DB liked the burger fix. [...] Otherwise, we stopped at the grocery store (Yay Gooding’s at the Crossroads) for some morning treats.

I agree, the new refillable mug designs were very nice :thumbsup: DH and I just had problems deciding on which color since there were several to choose from ;) It fit nicely in our mini fridge, too, so that was a great bonus to come back to at the end of the day.

We were also surprised by how fresh the food was at our food court (Old Port Royale in CBR). We were expecting fast food and pizza, but they had a wonderful deli and a grill that carried fresh-carved turkey and homestyle sides. I was also happily surprised to find no iceburg lettuce in my salad - food court or otherwise.

Sounds like a great first day :D On to read the next :mickey: