PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever...

Nini5055
03-13-2009, 12:26 PM
tried eating something or somewhere at WDW that people on various boards go crazy for...and found that it was nothing GREAT...just average?

My experience...the Schoolhouse Bread in Norway. Now, some people (not necessarily on intercot) have created whole threads around the stuff. So I tried it last year (Free dining) and thought that it was an average pastry...nothing out of this world stellar.:confused: However, the CM's working at the Kringalai (sp?) Bakery were absolutely wonderful!!! :thumbsup:

VWL Mom
03-13-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm almost afraid to say this, but for me it was Dole Whip. :hide2:

buzznwoodysmom
03-13-2009, 12:42 PM
For me it wasn't a single item, but a restaurant, actually two of them. We thought that both Le Cellier and Boma were just not all that great. We tried Le Cellier twice and while the second time was better than the first we won't be back. We've only tried Boma once so we'll be back there to see if it was maybe an off night.

brian2000boston
03-13-2009, 12:52 PM

I agree, it was good but I can continue with or without.

Mousefever
03-13-2009, 12:55 PM
I was so looking forward to the cheddar cheese soup at Le Cellier, but was disappointed with it. I had an ale-based cheese soup in Vermont that was so much better! I thought the soup at Le Cellier was too salty.

Amy

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-13-2009, 01:05 PM

I have to agree about the Dole Whip, although it was good, I was expecting something special which it wasn't. We also didn't care for the pastries at Norway or Marrakesh, which were two we heard good things about. Also, we think Casey's is just okay.

CanadianWDWFan
03-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Another vote for Le Cellier. To me it is just an average steak house. Maybe it is us, but we really didn't find the food there to spectacular. When I think "Canadian" food/restaurant, Le Cellier doesn't really come to mind.

Oh and the Dole Whip as well!

iheartdisney
03-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Zebra Domes. I had always skipped them because if I'm going to have calories for dessert I'm saving up for ice cream. But our last trip I tried them and they were no big whoop. Sorry everyone!

mouseketeer mom
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Schoolbread, Le Cellier, the Fish and Chips in England (soooo greasy!), Zebra Domes ( too jelly like for me, felt really ickey, like gooey eyeballs...)and....the Strawberry Soup at 1900 Park fare. People rave about it. It was just like melted ice cream., except colder. And the color was bizarre.

DonaldsBFF
03-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I would have to second that Boma was not all that good for us. We read great reviews so we tried it on our last trip. Both my DW and I were not impressed. It seemed like a buffet full of side dishes and salads and such. Nothing with any real substance. I wasn't sure if I would like it since I don't do much experimenting with food but I was suprised when my DW said she didn't like it either and she always likes different foods. That being said AKL is a beautiful resort and we were glad we got to see it.

Disney Doll
03-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Yep. Zebra Domes and School Bread for me. I thought both were too rich and disgustingly sweet. I tried them once and that was enough for me.

Beast_fanatic
03-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Tonga toast at Kona Cafe - it was way too much and way too sweet

DawsonAR
03-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Fish and Chips for my family. Just not our thing.

Tink1
03-13-2009, 02:44 PM
I used to LOVE the school bread, but since they changed the recipe it is just 'eh.

Dole whip was one I would not rave over, nor Le Cellier, Boma or Jiko. The fried dough at POFQ is OK, but get better pizza fritta at the local St Rocco's picnic every August. (Not sure what those little old ladies do to it, but I love it!)

In fact, there is very little food wise that I "have to have" when I am there. Popcorn during a parade and a Mickey Bar at some point suffice for me.

Nanc

MistressGracey999
03-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Our no-big-whoop items are the turkey legs, and the Tie-Dye Cheesecake at Pop Century. The turkey legs are huge, but just a smoked meat, they smell better than they taste IMO. And the TDC at Pop...it's just cheesecake! Nothing special, IMO. The Twinkie Tiramisu there was a fantastic and unusual dessert, and they scrapped it. Go figure.

My DH will be happy to hear that the Dole Whip made this thread with so many! Fist time he had it, he said, "Ok, it's pineapple soft serve. So what's the biggie?" LOL...

MistressGracey999
03-13-2009, 02:55 PM
One more! A WDW guide book I had read a couple years back raved about the Cookes of Dublin's fish and chips in DTD. Gross! Everything was uber greasy and bland. Not enough malt vinegar and tartar sauce in the world for this stuff. To be fair, though, that's the only time I've ever heard raves about this place, never here on Intercot.

buzznwoodysmom
03-13-2009, 03:09 PM
For everyone who didn't like the dole whip, have you tried the pineapple dole whip float? I've never tried the plain dole whip, but the float is sooo good. Its great on a hot day. I agree with the fish and chips place in Epcot, DH liked it, but I thought it was just nasty. I also didn't like the zebra domes at all, but I didn't really like anything at Boma.

elmjimmlm
03-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I will be the first to say that I don't care for San Angel Inn...I know that people rave about it but it had to be the nastiest place we have been to...

missalabama
03-13-2009, 03:53 PM
I did not care for tonga toast either....just ok to me

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-13-2009, 04:02 PM
I realize this will be considered heresy by many, but we were less than impressed with the Tonga toast. :ack:

joonyer
03-13-2009, 04:07 PM
When we ate at Le Cellier, everything was good, food and service, we enjoyed our meal, but we were expecting so much more from all the reviews. So while it was fine, it fell a long way short of the hype we had read about it on these boards and others.

Same experience at Chef Mickey's. not that I expected great food, knew it was a buffet, but we left there thinking, so what is all the buzz about. The coolest thing about it is being inside the Contemporary Atrium, but you can get that just riding the monorail or walking through.

We enjoyed the food and atmosphere at Boma and will go there again. About what we expected.

On the other hand, one place that exceeded my expectations was California Grill. A super dining experience. Great food service and atmosphere. I wish we could afford to go there more often.

Hull-onian
03-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Okay, I didn't think I had the guts to admit it. This is my confession, father forgive me! Boma--not so great. The choices for dinner were so-so. The turkey leg tasted too much like smoked ham. Being from New England, I guess I like regular roasted turkey like on Thanksgiving. The coffee isn't so great at Kona cafe. Not nuts about it. LeCellier didn't turn me on either. I liked Teppen Edo, but no rush to go back there. The food at Shutters at CBR was awful. Spoodles wasn't that great either. Don't worry, I have my favorites though. There are plenty of choices for all of us. :eat:

greengeen
03-13-2009, 04:13 PM
The tonga toast at Poly USED to be out of this world. They changed it - it's no longer fried, and to compensate they doubled the sugar coating. It's like a big slab of dry foam rubber with a pound of sugar dumped on it. So no wonder folks are confused by the raves for tonga toast - it just doesn't exist in its former glory any more.

The same is true for schoohouse bread. They changed the recipe.

greengeen
03-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Over rated restaurants: Le Cellier and Jiko.

We had snotty servers at both places who didn't like our wine choices, so we said fine, no wine for us. The food at Le Cellier is mediocre, and the tables are crammed together so tight that you're touching elbows with strangers.

At Jiko they served us dog food and toe cheese. I swear.

Beast_fanatic
03-13-2009, 04:37 PM
The tonga toast at Poly USED to be out of this world. They changed it - it's no longer fried, and to compensate they doubled the sugar coating. It's like a big slab of dry foam rubber with a pound of sugar dumped on it. So no wonder folks are confused by the raves for tonga toast - it just doesn't exist in its former glory any more.

The same is true for schoohouse bread. They changed the recipe.

I had it when it was fried, and still didn't like it (I forgot to mention that it was also too greasy).

MickeyMousse
03-13-2009, 04:42 PM
I will be the first to say that I don't care for San Angel Inn...I know that people rave about it but it had to be the nastiest place we have been to...

:ditto:

And Nine Dragons....... :ack:

Both, never again!!

kathiep
03-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Definately zebra domes. Heard some much about them that when I had one, I thought I selected the wrong item! Give me Boma's chocolate mousse over a dome any day.

cgriff
03-13-2009, 05:00 PM
I second (or third, as the case may be) the sentiments about the San Angel Inn. The food quality there is poor, and even the recipes seem off to me. I eat a lot of Mexican and Tex-Mex food, and what they serve at San Angel is not good... That being said, I really love the atmosphere at San Angel Inn; twilight dining near the edge of the River of Time, with the Mayan pyramid and smoking volcano in the distance... Just, get that nasty black tamale away from my face please!! :sick:

jillluvsdisney
03-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Whispering Canyon all you can eat skillet. I'm not a fan of St Louis ribs at all. The rest of the stuff is okay but nothing special. I'd compare it to the Golden Corral.

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-13-2009, 05:22 PM
I had it when it was fried, and still didn't like it (I forgot to mention that it was also too greasy).

That was our complaint as well, Rhonda.
Obviously lots of people enjoyed it, but not us!!

PetefromRI
03-13-2009, 05:34 PM
I would have to second that Boma was not all that good for us. We read great reviews so we tried it on our last trip. Both my DW and I were not impressed. It seemed like a buffet full of side dishes and salads and such. Nothing with any real substance. I wasn't sure if I would like it since I don't do much experimenting with food but I was suprised when my DW said she didn't like it either and she always likes different foods. That being said AKL is a beautiful resort and we were glad we got to see it.
:ditto:I couldn't agree more,"a buffet full of side dishes",perfectly put.My wife and I both agreed that we would never try Boma again.

It'sWDW4me
03-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't care for the Dole Whip! :ack: Rather have fresh pineapple slices.

I can't figure out what the hype is about Whispering Canyon Cafe. Casey's Corner is good but, really, how much can you do to a hot dog?

Now LTT on the other hand.... :mickey:

ElenitaB
03-13-2009, 07:04 PM
I'd have to second what others have said: I found Tonga Toast to be way too sweet and I don't think we'll be back to Le Cellier anytime soon. I'll leave those experiences for the people who truly enjoy them.

Kenny1113
03-14-2009, 08:44 AM
I was not impressed with zebra domes and I am a chocoholic. :blush: My kids loved them though. I much preferred the banana bread pudding, which I had not heard about until I was at Boma.

Seasonscraps
03-14-2009, 08:55 AM
For me it's Le Cellier. There are so many great reviews here, I love steak - I figured it was a can't miss. But our waiter was unpleasant and my steak was so undercooked that I had to send it back. A restaurant should be able to cook steak to order.

Charlee
03-14-2009, 09:00 AM
From all the reviews and raving about Le Cellier on other websites I thought it would be out of this world. It wasn't - good - but not the mind blowing experience I was led to believe it was.

And the tie-dye cheesecake at Pop - I love cheescake and was super excited about trying this - but it looks like Play-Doh and I think Play-Doh probably tastes better - ate two mouthfuls and threw it in the bin!

T-Belle
03-14-2009, 09:44 AM
After reading so many glowing reviews, my DD and I couldn't wait to try Boma. We were so disappointed.

tadshome
03-14-2009, 10:21 AM
i was really looking forward to trying a dole whip after earing so many great things, but I really was disappointed :ack:

TheVBs
03-14-2009, 10:27 AM
I think a lot of the disappointment may be due to expectations. When you're expecting something phenomenal and get something that's just good, it's disappointing. When you have no expectations and like what you get, you give it a good review. I also think that part of the raves for some of these places/items also comes from a love of the atmosphere. I wouldn't think much of having a Mickey ice cream in my backyard. But getting one on Main St. and watching the parade makes it an entirely different experience! :mickey: I always try to table my expectations on trips and it usually allows me to have a much more enjoyable experience.

Checkers
03-14-2009, 10:40 AM
:mickey:The cheese soup at LeCellier. I thought I would gag :ack:! Also, and I know this is blasphemy, but we didn't care for the Flying Fish. We had heard so much about it and although the food was ok, the service was so rushed I hadn't finished my appetizer before my entree was served. The waiter even commented about rushing us. We will probably try it again but the first visit was not impressive.

iheartdisney
03-14-2009, 10:46 AM
I think a lot of the disappointment may be due to expectations. When you're expecting something phenomenal and get something that's just good, it's disappointing. When you have no expectations and like what you get, you give it a good review.

Absolutely! We tried Boma when it first opened and LOVED it! Raved about it. Sent everyone we knew there. Now, having been there many times, my husband and I say to each other "Aside from a few favorite unique dishes that we can't get anywhere else is this really that great a restaurant?" No. We've decided we were blown away by the unique food choices. Other than that, it's like any other eatery on Disney property to us now.

dtootsie42
03-14-2009, 01:33 PM

Same for me, what makes it worse is my entire family loves them and I'm the odd ball out.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

goofygirl67
03-14-2009, 03:15 PM
I also didn't like the Dole whips.
As for Boma's I didn't quite know what I was eating and didn't like most of what I got. I do however enjoy their breakfast.
The Beaver Tail wasn't what I expected, I was thinking it was supposed to be like fried dough but it was nowhere like the ones I used to get back in Mass.

DisneyGlutton
03-14-2009, 04:18 PM
The Turkey Leg looks and smells so delicious, but then you take a bite and you realize its a. not turkey and b. foul, nauseating, and putrid. :sick: :sick: :sick:

When you pass the cart, don't be tempted, as hard as that may be...

joonyer
03-14-2009, 10:35 PM
The Turkey Leg looks and smells so delicious, but then you take a bite and you realize its a. not turkey and b. foul, nauseating, and putrid. :sick: :sick: :sick:

When you pass the cart, don't be tempted, as hard as that may be...

Ummmm, What makes you think it is not turkey? What kind of meat do you think it is?

The turkey legs are smoked (not roasted), so they taste a lot like ham, but it is obviously poultry, so I don't know what else it could be. Giant Chicken? . . . Baby Ostrich? . . . Goose, maybe?

They may be gross, messy, and disgusting, but they are turkey legs.

ldc12377
03-14-2009, 11:12 PM
We have actually experienced disappointment at several places that we had read here and on other discussion boards were suppose to be very good.
Mama Melrose's was the most disgusting meal we have EVER eaten ANYWHERE!!! Dole Whips are OK but not life-changing...and the "playful" restaurants (50's, whispering canyon) have never been playful with us...
Our family has come to the conclusion that if the major of people think something is great, then we won't like it because sub-consciously we want to be different....LOL...just our family joke now.
Glad to see that we aren't the only ones

Mousemates
03-15-2009, 12:02 AM
For me its also the turkey legs...my wife loves them...but for whatever reason I find myself a bit on the :sick: side after eating them.

DisneyGlutton
03-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Ummmm, What makes you think it is not turkey? What kind of meat do you think it is?

The turkey legs are smoked (not roasted), so they taste a lot like ham, but it is obviously poultry, so I don't know what else it could be. Giant Chicken? . . . Baby Ostrich? . . . Goose, maybe?

They may be gross, messy, and disgusting, but they are turkey legs.

Granted I am not a poultry expert, but they seem so huge (part of why they are deceptively appealing when you walk past); my family gets the biggest possible turkey at Thanksgiving and the legs are nowhere near as big. But it could be turkey, idk for sure...you do have a point about smoked vs. roasted, so maybe it is turkey.

I should also add a random positive note, I've never had a disappointing experience at a TS restaurant at WDW. Obviously I self-select the restaurants I think I'll enjoy, but still.

Belster
03-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Hate to say it but this is how I feel about the cream cheese stuffed pretzel...:ack:

jacknsally02
03-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Le Cellier..don't believe the hype lol, I do not for the life of me know why it's so popular.

Olivia's Daddy
03-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Definitely the Dole Whip.

LuvsTigger80
03-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Le Cellier..don't believe the hype lol, I do not for the life of me know why it's so popular.

:ditto: we will never eat here again.... it was the biggest let down of our trip...(next to chef mickey's)

Goes4FastPass
03-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Narcoosee

dolphinmickey9170
03-17-2009, 04:58 PM
The Viking Coffee in Norway. All I can say is, don't light a match around someone who holds a cup of that. It is a small 5 or 6 oz coffee cup that is half full of Kaluha and half coffee. Let's just say, one would have the shave the hair off their knuckles after that one. WOWOW~ I couldn't drink it all as I was starting to see stars and my nose was tingly.

In all the trips we have ever been on (more than ten now), I really haven't had an issue with any restaurant. The first time I tried LTT, I wasn't impressed, it was just okay....but I tried it again and enjoyed it. As for LeCellier, we have always had the best experience there. We enjoy the food, the service and the atmosphere. We make it a must do each trip. Call me crazy. But it still is difficult to get into if you don't book on your 90 days.

dolphinmickey9170
03-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Okay...I actually mistyped the Viking Coffee....it is actually Kamora Coffee Liquer and Baileys Original Irish Cream then a bit of coffee. The alcohol is half and the coffee is half. Still...extremely strong.

hlkeck
03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Yikes...I may be the first to say this, but Liberty Tree Tavern was not good for us. The food was actually barely luke-warm, not that tasty, and our character interaction was terrible. In fact, Goofy actually refused to sign my 4 y/os autograph book and wouldn't even come back over when the server saw him crying...all because he was joking around and grabbed his big 'ol goofy tooth. He's 4! They do that! Anyway - we had a terrible time, terrible food, and would never go back.

SBETigg
03-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Dinner at Kona Cafe. Our food was bland, some of it congealed, and the place borrows atmosphere from the Great Ceremonial House, which is great in itself but it reduces Kona to a lobby restaurant, which isn't a compliment judging from most hotel lobby restaurants.

Also Schoolbread (and I tried the original recipe, it was so heavy and blah). Turkey Legs. And Zebra Domes (very underwhelming after all the hype).

Iteachpc
03-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Turkey leg - DD and I decided to share one on a trip...weren't impressed. Won't do that again!

Like Dole Whips a lot, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Dole Pinapple Float. Much better in my opinion. For those of you who weren't impressed with the Dole Whip, try the pinapple float and see what you think.

We love Casey's, but the buns used to be better. Still we always have at least one meal there each trip.

mudpuppysmom
03-18-2009, 02:57 PM
For us it has been a few things.....

DH: Viking Coffee, School Bread and Boma
For me it was LeCellier and Artist Point

One thing I must have now on each trip though IS a DOLE WHIP!!! When we were there during last year while I was pregnant that was really the only thing that I could eat and DH says to me "Are you going to get cravings for those things when we get home???? I really hope you get your fill while we're here b/c I doubt they ship well." And he was dead serious too.......Any time I said I wanted one, he found a way to make one appear!

And, as barbaric looking as they are, we like the turkey legs!

Soul_Power
03-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Definitely the Tie-Dye Cheesecake for me too. When we stayed at POP, I insisted on having one, and I thought it was okay, nothing incredible.

j&j
03-20-2009, 05:14 PM
you are right everyone has something special we all like. pastry in france nice and cheaper then in the rest.:mickey::mickey:

PeterJ911
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
That may sound strange, and I know they try hard at the "nice" restaurants to present an attractive meal, but I've always felt that even the best meal in the best restaurant at WDW is still a meal at a theme park restaurant. DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND--we love WDW and there are lots of things we like to eat while we're there (Rice Cream at Norway!!), but none of the restaurants compares with a fine restaurant in other locations. I just don't think it's possible for them to take the time and care with fine cuisine considering the masses of people they have to feed each and every day. It's all about expectations. We love the Hollywood Brown Derby at the Studios and have had good meals there, but to compare them with non-theme park restaurants really isn't fair. Having said all that, the food at WDW in general is so much better than it was early in WDW's existance, so improvement is being made!

Goes4FastPass
03-23-2009, 03:52 PM
That may sound strange, and I know they try hard at the "nice" restaurants to present an attractive meal, but I've always felt that even the best meal in the best restaurant at WDW is still a meal at a theme park restaurant. DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND--we love WDW and there are lots of things we like to eat while we're there (Rice Cream at Norway!!), but none of the restaurants compares with a fine restaurant in other locations. I just don't think it's possible for them to take the time and care with fine cuisine considering the masses of people they have to feed each and every day. It's all about expectations. We love the Hollywood Brown Derby at the Studios and have had good meals there, but to compare them with non-theme park restaurants really isn't fair. Having said all that, the food at WDW in general is so much better than it was early in WDW's existance, so improvement is being made!

This is the most appalling thing I have ever read. To speak of Cuisine du Disney as being "theme park food" certainly must be some form of sacrilege. The only other thing I can say about this post is it was 100% correct.

Ropachs
03-23-2009, 04:41 PM
I agree with so many due to great expectation...Tonga Toast, Cheddar Cheese soup, Schoolbread, Dole Whip...

New one to add - the ham & cheese croissant in France, it was fine but nothing spectacular. Still a GREAT use of a snack credit though!

SBETigg
03-23-2009, 05:00 PM

Have you tried the resort restaurants? Some of the resort restaurants can certainly rival restaurants anywhere. California Grill is excellent. Victoria and Albert's, top notch. The Grand Floridian Cafe does a decent job. Jiko and Flying Fish are both highly rated by gourmet magazines and restaurant reviewers. And I think the Brown Derby and some of the WS restaurants do surpass theme park restaurant expectations.

texasteacher
03-23-2009, 09:24 PM
tried eating something or somewhere at WDW that people on various boards go crazy for...and found that it was nothing GREAT...just average?

My experience...the Schoolhouse Bread in Norway. Now, some people (not necessarily on intercot) have created whole threads around the stuff. So I tried it last year (Free dining) and thought that it was an average pastry...nothing out of this world stellar.:confused: However, the CM's working at the Kringalai (sp?) Bakery were absolutely wonderful!!! :thumbsup:

I agree that Norway's School Bread did not live up to my expectations, but I was not too terribly disappointed. I am in WDW having a great time.
Next time, I will know to get something else like the yummy rice cream!

texasteacher
03-23-2009, 09:25 PM

I agree with this one too. I much prefer the Citrus Swirl!

ryca1dreams
03-25-2009, 08:52 AM

Wow, first post! You're exactly right - couldn't have said it better myself.

Nini5055
03-25-2009, 09:12 AM
I truly believe that given the sheer number of people that the restaurants in WDW serve in a given day...the food is GREAT!!! :mickey:

I just think there are some items that get really hyped up and then when others try them...are maybe not up to expectations.

Otherwise, I have never had a truly horrible meal at WDW. :thumbsup:

PeterJ911
03-25-2009, 10:36 AM
We haven't eaten many resort restaurant meals at WDW--we spend all our time at the parks! :mickey: Well, not exactly true--we've eaten at Spoodles several times and think that's a fine place (though I understand it will be changing soon). And like I said, the Brown Derby is really great for what it's trying (and mostly succeeding) to be. For me, I know that part of the reason I enjoy eating at park restaurants, even though I know they're not necessarily "fine" restaurants, is specifically because they're at WDW! I love the Brown Derby because the only time I can eat there is when I'm at Disney. I'm already in a great mood because I'm in one of my favorite places on Earth, and am much more willing to forgive less-than-stellar food because, in the long run, it really doesn't matter what they put in front of me. As long as it looks good and tastes reasonable, I'll enjoy it. I pity the serious "foodie" who visits one of the park restaurants expecting haute cuisine and gets an "audioanimatronic" meal ("It looks so real, doesn't it?") :)