PDA

View Full Version : Ohana for teens?

wdwdreamer
03-13-2009, 07:43 AM
I have never been to Ohana's and would like to try it in June. I have a daughter who will turn 16 before our trip and a 13 year old. I am trying to be sesitive to not making my teens crazy with things that they may consider "too young" for them. I would love to try Ohana's and would like some advise if my teens who love Disney would like it?

Also is it better to have a later dinner and see the fireworks inside or outside on the beach? What time would you recommend for either?

GoofyGirl18
03-13-2009, 07:54 AM
I had a 12 year old boy at Ohana in 2007 & he had fun. He actively participated in the activity that night which happened to be the luau. It was really funny to watch him tower over all the rest of the kids! I think a 13 & 16 year old would have fun there.

Wishes fireworks were going on while we were there, but we really didn't pay attention to them since there was so much more going on. In my opinion, you're better off watching them from the beach.

mouseketeer mom
03-13-2009, 08:16 AM
My girls are 14 and 13, my son is 9. Ohanas remains a favorite. You can't help but get caught up in the good energy of the place. Yep, my kids still partake in the hula and other events while we are there. Sometimes parents are up there too. Its all good at Ohanas, I think they will love it. Plus the food is outrageous. The peanut sauce is addictive.

DawsonAR
03-13-2009, 09:51 AM
My kids are young, but Ohana's isn't a place that I feel they will ever out grow. It was a nice place for all ages IMO. We love it and hope to enjoy it for many years to come.

SBETigg
03-13-2009, 10:32 AM
My teens(17 and 15) love 'Ohana. It has great atmosphere, good views, food they really enjoy. They don't take part in the kiddie games, obviously. 'Ohana means family, and it happens to be a great place for families with kids of all ages, and even for adults without kids.

joonyer
03-13-2009, 12:05 PM
My DSs are 16 & 13 and they still love 'Ohana, as they have since our first visit when they were 9 & 6. They don't do the coconut races anymore, but they still love to go there.

The way I figure, going to Disney World makes all of us kids again, no matter how old we are, :old: and if my kids think they are too old to be seen with Mickey, Goofy and the gang, then I'll tell them I'm not taking them back to WDW. :(

So far, they don't feel that way at all. If 'Ohana was in our home town, they might think think that way, (probably not, cause they love the food there) but at WDW, they are still kids, just like me! :woohoo: :clappy: :yay:

MOJoe
03-13-2009, 12:45 PM
O'hana's is one of those places that is fun for all ages. There aren't any Disney characters at dinner, so teens won't be dreading the embarrasing photo opp. The food is good, and the entertainment is all voluntary. No one will force your teens into doing the Limbo, or line dancing around the place. So don't worry. This is a good place to go with that age group.

And i agree that the fireworks are best viewed outside. Have fun!

ElenitaB
03-13-2009, 07:06 PM
We had two 13 yr old boys there in December and I'm pretty sure they had a good time... of course, they did the :cool: thing and made fun of the kids' activities. As for the rest of it, who knows? They were busy chowing down!

wendy*darling
03-13-2009, 08:52 PM
My boys are now 18 & 21- and they still love to go to 'Ohana!
Also, in the summer of 2007, I took our Boy Scout Troop there- About 20 boys between the ages of 12 and 18- they had an absolute blast! It was one of the highlights of our trip (they loved Hoop Dee Doo too).

I don't think there is an age group that wouldn't have fun at 'Ohana. :thumbsup:

Vinny
03-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Although I don't have any of my own, I have seen kids of all ages enjoying Ohana over the many times we have been there. The atmosphere is very relaxed, great food and outstanding service that can't be beat. Ohana is great for all ages. Have a great time.

twinboyz
03-14-2009, 08:33 PM
We're going in August without the kids and were wondering if we should book a reservation here. I'm glad to see others found it enjoyable with kids, with big kids, and without kids. Can you request a seat by the windows to see the fireworks?

Vinny
03-14-2009, 10:57 PM
We're going in August without the kids and were wondering if we should book a reservation here. I'm glad to see others found it enjoyable with kids, with big kids, and without kids. Can you request a seat by the windows to see the fireworks?

I would say definitely give Ohana a try. We had gone to WDW for many years before having dinner there and now we book an ADR there for every trip. We will be eating here again in June.

As far as a window seat, I don't think they can guarantee anything but if you ask them when you check in at the podium, you may be able to get one based on availability at the time. The view of the fireworks is very nice and they even play the Wishes soundtrack as you are watching. They started just as we were being served desert the last time we were there. Ohana is well worth it. Have a fun trip!!

Click here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=127124) - my 2008 review

LudwigVonDrake
03-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Tell your kids to bring their appetite and don't worry about the rest :tikki:

ThanxForNoticin
03-15-2009, 07:00 PM

As mentioned by another poster, you can request a window seat for the fireworks - but whether or not you'll get one will depend on timing and some luck. And just something to keep in mind - if you do get a table by the window, be prepared because you will 'attract' some kids from the restaurant. We've never minded and the kids don't want to be rude - but they are attracted to the show and will often want to get near the windows during the fireworks. Have a great time. 'OHana is one of our favorite restaurants anywhere.