PDA

View Full Version : Opinions- 1 year old daughter

Leighler
03-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Just wanted to get some feedback from others who have taken a 1 year old to WDW. I LOVE WDW (obviously) but haven't been since 2003 and my husband has NEVER been- which I can't even understand. I finally convinced him to go down for a week this late Sept/early Oct. She will be about 1. The grandparents have already said they will keep her and I almost would love ONE more adult trip to Disney without kids- especially with diapers and stroller and will she really really even know what's going on (this is our first child so I'm not sure what she'll be into when she is that age)? Part of me thinks it would be fun for the grandparents to come down with us and we would have her with us some but the other part of me wants to be a little selfish and do one more children free trip because after this year of course she would go with us and would love it. It would be a completely different vacation if we decide to take her. Thoughts??!!! Another thing to think about- we will be there during the Epcot F&W festival which is very adult oriented. Help!!

krose78
03-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Seeing Disney through your childs eyes is a whole different experience. Will she remember this trip, NO, but will you, Yes.

Whatever you decide you will have fun but her first trip to Disney will be special whether she will remember it or not.

Michigander
03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Go take that last adult trip with your husband. Show him the WDW that you love. Your DD will never miss the heat and crowds that will be there. Her time will come when she's about 3 and she will remember it better and enjoy it much more. Let G&G have this special time alone with their grandchild to love and spoil while mom and dad are away. Enjoy your time because I can tell you that you won't get another adult vacation for a long time if your like my DH and me we take our children with us everywhere we go. I know someday I'll get those adult vacation times back. But I say enjoy one last one with your main guy while you can and your little one won't miss a thing! You can take G&G and the kids the next trip when everyone is better able to enjoy all of what WDW has to offer:mickey:

SBETigg
03-12-2009, 11:37 AM
She's only one. She doesn't know what she's missing and you will have such a fabulous, relaxing time without her. You could probably use the break alone together. Don't feel bad about it if that's what you decide. You have plenty of family vacations in your future, and her reactions to things will be that much more incredible when she's two, three, four... Follow your heart, whatever that tells you to do. No guilt.

I'm taking my first kid-free Disney vacation in twenty years this April. Once they love it too and they know what they're missing, you won't have much chance for those adult vacations for a while. And we love going with our kids, too, but this is a nice break for us.

Luv Eeyore
03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
We did it both ways, left DD with the in-laws when she was about 1, but took DS when he was 1. We enjoyed both, but they turned out to be very different trips. It was nice without any kids, because we got to do whatever whenever, and never had to do the baby swap. But I must admit that seein DS and his reaction to the characters (which he loved, but be advised that a lot of little ones get scared of the characters) was priceless.

Tigerinvestigator
03-12-2009, 01:52 PM
We took all three DD's when they were one and I wouldn't take anything for those trips. Everyone is different but for us we would have missed them so bad by the second day we would have been extremely miserable. They don't really remember the trips but they watch the videos and look at the photos on a regular basis. I guess you need to ask yourself a couple of questions before making up your mind. 1) Will you miss her so much you won't have a good trip? 2) Will you regret not having photos and memories of her on the trip?

In the twelve years we have had kids, we have been to WDW 14 times. Only one was without kids a few years ago, and while I absolutely loved it, my DW was miserable by day 3 and did not enjoy the rest of the trip. We were constantly wishing they were there to see this or do that. Not trying to lay a guilt trip on you, but just telling you what we experienced. We have no problem going on a weekend trip without the kids (actually we love going without them sometimes) but WDW is different in our eyes. What makes it so special is having your family there.:thumbsup:

Disney Doll
03-12-2009, 02:01 PM
We did baby's first trip last Oct for our son's first birthday and it was the perfect trip. Yes vacationing with a little one is a different experience, but I could not imagine leaving him behind. Don't get me wrong, I can definitely see both sides and at times I do think it would be nice to have some adult time again, but a week is a long time and I'm not sure I would have really enjoyed myself as much without him along.

We celebrated his first birthday at the MK with breakfast at Crystal Palace, had his 1st haircut at the Main Street Barber Shop, and absolutely adored every minute of our family time at the World. I know he probably won't remember, but those memories are priceless to me. Having a baby along forced us to go at a slower pace which I actually enjoyed. We had an afternoon nap break each day and we didn't stay out as late as we would have, but we found plenty of time to enjoy the Food and Wine Fest in the afternoons which seemed less crowded anyway. We've go pretty regularly so we didn't worry about baby swap or any of the bigger rides. We just did the things he could ride and IASW was one of his absolute favorites.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy the trip!

Amy_617
03-12-2009, 02:11 PM
We are going in May and my DS will be turning 1 when we are there. We decided to take him. This will be his first trip to Disney. Let me just say this. DH and I took a trip last Sept when my DS was about 3 months old. We left him with my mom and dad. I was misarable the entire time! I was calling my mom over and over to check on him. Not that I thought anything was wrong , but it was REALLY hard to be away from him for a whole week. This time...was are taking him and I am so excited. Not only will he be celebrating his first birthday at the world...it will be his first visit as well. We are prepared for a totally different experience, but are ready to experience it!! I would say take her. Have fun!! :mickey:

thrillme
03-15-2009, 06:41 PM
You have a child now but you also have a marriage. There's nothing on earth wrong with having a little "alone" time. I think it would be WONDERFUL. Get a chance to go with your husband alone and turn HIM into a fanatic by letting him have Disney to himself and you. Then who knows...maybe he'll be so pumped he'll be more than ready for a 2nd trip with the baby.

It's only for a few days...Grandma and Grandpa would probably LOVE having the little one to spoil rotten. Mickey just can't replace a walk on Grandpa's shoulders and a kiss from Cinderella can't replace Grandma's cuddles.

Personally I like taking the kids to Disney when they're old enough to remember it and talk about it for a year. But...everybody has their own preferences.

spoiledraf
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm the grandparent going along to help out. (and paying for the trip for all nine of us as well) I look forward to the little ones seeing things for the first time. We plan on giving our kids some free time by keeping their kids. Call me old school but I feel once you decide to have kids, they are part of the family and you don't leave them at home. We've had a few trips alone but it was after our kids were out of college and married. This will be my son's first trip back since 1995. My duaghter, a bigger fan was their this week.

What ever you decide, have fun.

disneyboundagain
03-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Call me old school but I feel once you decide to have kids, they are part of the family and you don't leave them at home.

I couldn't agree more. We never had the luxury of having grandparents to watch our kids, but we wouldn't think of going without them, but that's just our opinion.

We have been fortunate enough to take our kids at least once a year, once twice, since before their first birthday. Of course they won't remember the first few trips, but we will. The characters really got them excited, but they enjoyed the parades and fireworks a lot more. I will NEVER forget their faces while we were watching fireworks from Main Street. Our oldest, DD5, can now name her favorite 3 rides in each park, with her overall favorite being ToT.

IMHO, I say take her! It will be a vacation you will never forget!

jonahbear2006
03-15-2009, 11:14 PM
leave baby home. it is the perfect time. you wont ever be able to do this again cause once the child gets wind that you are in disney, its over! I am all for taking a trip without the kids and they will get over it. Afterall, they need a vacation from mom and dad just as much as you too need to be alone.

PetefromRI
03-16-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm the grandparent going along to help out. (and paying for the trip for all nine of us as well) I look forward to the little ones seeing things for the first time. We plan on giving our kids some free time by keeping their kids. Call me old school but I feel once you decide to have kids, they are part of the family and you don't leave them at home. We've had a few trips alone but it was after our kids were out of college and married. This will be my son's first trip back since 1995. My duaghter, a bigger fan was their this week.

What ever you decide, have fun.
I couldn't agree more!Spoken like a true Grand Parent.The one year old will have fun,she won't remember too much of it,but you will remember it forever(the good and the bad:).