PDA

View Full Version : Advice on California Grill Please

Hayden's Dad
03-12-2009, 10:36 AM
We made reservations for California Grill on May 23 at 9:30. It looks like Wishes will be at 10:00 that night. We have never eaten here before and wanted some advice. What are the chances of us getting a window seat? What time should we check in? How is the food? Thanks for all the help. :mickey:

SBETigg
03-12-2009, 11:32 AM
I would show up between 9 and 9:15. The chances of getting a window table for the fireworks are fair. But you know what? The views are good everywhere. Our table was toward the back at a window, not a great fireworks table. But we watched the Electric Water Pageant make its circuit around the lagoon, and we could even see Illuminations happening over at Epcot. It was so cool! I think I was happier where we ended up.

We went out to the observation deck to see the fireworks, and what an incredible view. I cried. It was so romantic. (I'm an emotional cheeseball anyway). Our server told us when to go out, held our dessert until we came back. It was just lovely. You can't go wrong, so don't put too much stress on getting that ideal table and worrying about where you'll sit. It's a great experience. We had fantastic food and service, and a memorable, lovely evening. I hope you do, too.

lockedoutlogic
03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Alot of the questions about California Grill (and Narcoosees's for that matter) seem to miss the forest for the trees in front of it.....

California Grill is a great location....one of the better places in WDW and in Central Florida for that matter....

My advice: Don't worry about seeing fireworks....it's the same show probably everybody on this board has seen 10 times over.

The real show is the food.....

We had a table next to the lagoon at Bistro De Paris in February.....and to be honest.....I don't even remember the fireworks going off.....and Illuminations is our favorite.....and we had part of our wedding reception during the fireworks in the France pavillion....

...and I still was much more impressed with the food.

Get a Souffle and enjoy the FOOD!!!!:mickey:

SBETigg
03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
The food is definitely worth it. I do love the fireworks view, too. It's really a new experience seeing them from the observation deck. But the food is pretty incredible. The sonoma goat cheese ravioli and the spicy sushi, both delectable. They do an amazing cheese plate. And these are just the appetizers. The entrees are all equally good. They'll recommend and let you taste wines if you're not sure about which one to choose, if you're into wine at all.

JavaDuck
03-12-2009, 04:03 PM
I would recommend checking in 30 minutes to 45 minutes prior to your ADR time. At that time, you can request a table next to the window. However, like many other posters, with the floor to ceiling windows there is not a bad seat in the house. I recommend watching the fireworks from the observation deck though. It does get crowded right before Wishes since diners that ate earlier in the evening are allowed to come back up to the restaurant.

The star of the California Grill though is the food. If you like sushi, I highly recommend trying some of that. It was some of the best sushi I've ever had. My main course of the beef fillet was amazing as well.

We are heading back again this August for our 2nd trip.

MOJoe
03-12-2009, 05:04 PM
While it is true that the main reason to eat at Cali Grill is the wonderful food, it is not the only reason. Many people want to eat here and get a bird's eye view of the MK fireworks. The complete package, if you will.
So with an ADR 30 minutes before Wishes, i would be no more than 15 minutes early, and hope to be seated with just enough time to be served a bottle of wine, or other suitable beverage. If i didn't get a window seat, I would let my server know i intended to watch the fireworks, maybe on the observation deck, and then linger over dinner. They seem to be quite accomodating at the Cali, and i am certain you will have a fabulous time!

Leighler
03-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Like everyone else has said you can try but I will say I ate here on my birthday...it was noted in the reservation and I wanted a window seat so bad- it didn't happen. It was still one of the most magical evenings ever...definitely the most magical birthday. As mentioned above I told my server we wanted to go watch fireworks...he recommended going up to the observation deck and I believe there are two of them- and he sent us up to one he said is less popular. It was only us and 1 other couple up there. When we came back our table was still their waiting for us..we ordered our food and it was incredible. I had pork and it was definitely the best pork I've ever had. Have fun!! You won't be disappointed even without the window table.

Crow
03-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Check in 15 min or so, or you can try earlier & always get a drink at the bar upstairs.
Even if you dont get a window seat, you can go on the balcony.
The food is great! I think the apps are better than entrees. Sushi is excellent.

DreamFinder2
03-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Ok...so, I'm going to go out on a limb...DON'T even ask for a window seat. You NEED to go outside onto the observation deck!!!! Don't worry about where your table is. Arrive at 9:15 at the check-in stand, go upstairs, be seated about 9:30, get your drinks, look over the menu...then head outside. Your waiter will be more than understanding, in fact they're usually very encouraging! Watch the show, go back in and order and enjoy the food!

It's a great restaurant and you'll end up having a fantastic evening!