PDA

View Full Version : Flame-Tree BBQ: Post-Meal Digestion Issues

k3utmk
03-11-2009, 03:37 PM
The past two times I ate at the Flame Tree, immediately afterward I've had very significant digestive issues. Both times I've had to run to a bathroom stall for relief within minutes of eating.

I've thought it might be coincidental, that its related to the level of exertion and heat in the AK versus other parks...but then it might be related to the spices on the BBQ.

Has anybody else had this issue?

Goofeygal
03-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Never, we eat there at least twice every trip and never have had a problem.

SBETigg
03-11-2009, 04:01 PM
I've never had that problem there, but I wouldn't rule out that you could be allergic to something they use on the food, a spice or seasoning perhaps. Maybe it's not on everything. Have you tried different foods or the same thing both times? I love the barbecue chicken salad there.

Gator
03-11-2009, 04:11 PM
I've never had that problem from Flame Tree. I'm usually the exact opposite for the whole week I'm there.

k3utmk
03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
I've never had that problem there, but I wouldn't rule out that you could be allergic to something they use on the food, a spice or seasoning perhaps. Maybe it's not on everything. Have you tried different foods or the same thing both times? I love the barbecue chicken salad there.
I can't really remember. I think my wife and I shared the ribs and chicken.

I didn't think you could describe a reaction on 'that end' as an allergy. I don't have any other food allergies.

anyway, If other have had the same problem, please share. I suspect it more environmental and psychological factors than the food itself, but if it was the food itself, I'd like to know that: despite my experiences, I want to go back!:laughing:

k3utmk
03-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I've never had that problem from Flame Tree. I'm usually the exact opposite for the whole week I'm there.
ditto...which is why this coincidence has brought me here to the board to see if I'm not alone.

DizneyRox
03-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I would still classify that as an allergy. I have issues with how much of the food is prepared down in Florida and it's specific to Florida as far as I have seen.

I have many of the places prepare the food differently, but no probems at FTBBQ. It's one of my favs. Love the sauces.

Stitchahula
03-11-2009, 05:04 PM
My sisters and I have IBS and a few restaurants bring out the worst in us (so to speak). For what ever reason the food at certain places just doesn't sit well with us but others in our party are ok. Maybe that is what is going on with you.

joonyer
03-11-2009, 05:35 PM
What happens when you BBQ in other places/cities?

CaptSmee
03-11-2009, 05:40 PM
No problems here, and I have a very sensitive stomach.

LibertyTreeGal
03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Ditto for suspecting allergies.

It may be something they use in the rub that is setting you off. As we get older, different things bother us -- and so maybe not a full blown allergy, but a definite food sensitivity.

We eat at FT every time and have never had probs either.

LibertyTreeGal
03-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Actually, upon looking at the OP again, I would have to suspect that for some reason, something in the rub or sauce serves as a "trigger" for your bowels -- because there is no reason on earth that any food would send you to the bathroom within minutes of eating it, no matter how bad it was. If it was an allergen, you might throw it up if it was severe, but in order to come out the other end takes a significant amount of time.

So I wonder what it is you eat the morning you go to AK or the night before -- medically it just isn't possible (at least i don't think so) for it to be the lunch that would do that. Not within minutes, bowels do not work that quickly.

Sorry for being gross guys -- special needs moms don't mince words lol

DizneyRox
03-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Actually, upon looking at the OP again, I would have to suspect that for some reason, something in the rub or sauce serves as a "trigger" for your bowels -- because there is no reason on earth that any food would send you to the bathroom within minutes of eating it, no matter how bad it was. If it was an allergen, you might throw it up if it was severe, but in order to come out the other end takes a significant amount of time.

So I wonder what it is you eat the morning you go to AK or the night before -- medically it just isn't possible (at least i don't think so) for it to be the lunch that would do that. Not within minutes, bowels do not work that quickly.

Sorry for being gross guys -- special needs moms don't mince words lol
I beg to differ... Maybe not instant, but maybe 10 minutes, I've seen it happen.

If you suspect the rub: Sugar, Lawry's Seasoning Salt, Paprika, Chili Powder, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Cumin, Garlic Salt.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-12-2009, 08:56 AM
We didn't have issues and my mom and I both have stomach problems....

Hull-onian
03-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Could it be the water they use for the prep? We cannot drink Florida water. We order cases of bottled water from the Garden Grocer and believe me, we never have a problem. We even brush our teeth with bottled water.:D

prttynpnk
03-12-2009, 10:17 AM
No problems here, and I have a very sensitive stomach.
I consider myself a delicate flower and love Flame tree...

k3utmk
03-12-2009, 10:34 AM
What happens when you BBQ in other places/cities?
Nothing out of the ordinary.

Could it be the water they use for the prep? We cannot drink Florida water. We order cases of bottled water from the Garden Grocer and believe me, we never have a problem. We even brush our teeth with bottled water.:D
Not for me at least. I have family in the Orlando area, have spent weeks/months with them and have no problem with the water, in addition to my stays at WDW.

It's sounding to me like this was coincidence...or the coincidence of environmental and behavioral factors: something that ordinarily wouldn't cause me problems, but does when I'm hot, sweaty, and slightly dehydrated from the unusual type of physical exertion that happens on a hot day at the AK. Both days I was pretty hot and sweaty, and probably hadn't taken care of myself as well as I should have.

Thanks for all the suggestions, ideas, and feedback.

cgriff
03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
k3utmk...

Did you have a soda with your meal? Bubbly, acidy sodas have been known to... ummm... speed things along, if you know what I mean. :sick:

Disney Doll
03-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I beg to differ... Maybe not instant, but maybe 10 minutes, I've seen it happen.

If you suspect the rub: Sugar, Lawry's Seasoning Salt, Paprika, Chili Powder, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Cumin, Garlic Salt.

I agree. I think an allergy can cause a reaction amazingly fast. DH always has a bad reaction (of the type you described) to cilantro. It hits him within minutes of having the meal.

mouseketeer mom
03-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Hmmm..thats interesting.
I find that while at WDW I'm just not used to eating so much that sometimes my stomach bothers me. Like for example, I'll have cheese danishes in the lounge in the am. I never ever have that at home at all, I just have cereal or fruit at home. And then I'll have lunch and dinner, and big portions, and I never eat 3 big meals at home. Usually just one good meal, and lighter meals for the other two. I just don't think my stomach is used to that volume of food/sugar/salt that I eat at WDW!

DawsonAR
03-13-2009, 12:40 PM
I have an allergy to an unknown spice. I have tried to find which one, but at this point no luck. The first few times I ate it, (spicy cheese dip) I had the same reaction as you. After the first few, I had full blown anaphylaxis and now carry an epi-pen for to save my life. (of course I don't eat the cheese dip, but it has happened with a couple other spicy foods) The episode always begins with the bowels within a few minutes (10-15) of eating the item. If you look up anaphylaxis, it typically does include the bowels and each episode gets worse. I would be concerned if I were you and avoid eating there in the future.

MistressGracey999
03-13-2009, 03:04 PM
I couldn't help but notice a pp remark about having the "opposite" problem during a week at WDW than our thread starter's Flame Tree BBQ issue.

At the risk of being indelicate here, why on earth is this? I suffer, too from "opposite syndrome" :D during my week at WDW, and I have wondered and wondered, why? Does anyone else that suffers this have any recommendations on how to alieviate the problem? Feel free to PM me if you're of a modest nature. This has just about ruined the vacation for me a couple of years, especially the tail end of it (no pun intended).

Quacktatty
03-22-2009, 10:00 AM
My stomach can actually take pretty good care of itself at WDW...at home I'm completely the opposite. Flame Tree for this sensitive person has never been an issue and I eat there 3 or more times a trip usually.

Belster
03-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I would also disagree with the pp that said bowels don't move that quickly...I have this problem every time I eat. I am always in a mad dash to the restroom. I have a very fast moving sysytem.

However, it is not in any direct relation to Flame Tree...We love it there!!!!!!

LudwigVonDrake
03-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Never had a problem there and I make sure to eat there at least once a trip :tasty:

dumbo ears
03-22-2009, 12:49 PM
thats wierd, im actually gonnna eat there for my first time coming up in a couple weeks

sleepingbooty
03-23-2009, 04:37 PM
I couldn't help but notice a pp remark about having the "opposite" problem during a week at WDW than our thread starter's Flame Tree BBQ issue.

At the risk of being indelicate here, why on earth is this? I suffer, too from "opposite syndrome" :D during my week at WDW, and I have wondered and wondered, why? Does anyone else that suffers this have any recommendations on how to alieviate the problem?

Same problem for me. But I notice this on just about any vacation, and I think it is not an uncommon problem to have while traveling. Probably just due to having all of your routines changed up. And at WDW especially - eating much more than normal - and more variety. I always make sure to pack an assortment of digestive meds: correctol (for the problem we're discussing), immodium for the opposite problem, pepto, maalox chewables. Scout's motto: Be Prepared!

sillyolbear
03-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Never had a problem at Flame Tree, but have experienced similar symptoms at other non-WDW restaurants.

I have discussed the issue with my doctor and he indicated that it could be a heightened sensitivity to something used in the preparation of the food.

After taking inventory of the meals and establishments that most often seem to cause me distress, I suspect something like MSG.

Although, there are two local restaurants where I have had only tossed salads and had the exact same reaction. I later found out that both used a commercial vegetable wash on the salad ingredients in prepping the salad.

DANAM
03-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Never had this problem but we love the BBQ sause. I make it at home and my Dad was very sick after eating it(he wasn't with us on the trip). Since no one else felt ill we knew it wasn't the meat. There are numerous spices in there and my Dad was sensitive to one of them and we think that is what made him sick.

betteratmk
03-25-2009, 04:49 PM
I have that problem at some of the places in Disney especially WCC. I believe it is MSG, I don't have that problem in Epcot oddly enough. I have stopped eating red meat in Disney though. at Flame Tree, I get the chicken salad..

ojeilatan
03-26-2009, 12:47 PM
I have not had problems with WDW food, nor I have I eaten at FTBBQ, but for my two cents:
Last year over Christmas, it seemed I developed a sudden sensitivity to garlic. I had the same problems anytime I ate with garlic in it. A few weeks later, I discovered I had gall stones, and once I had removal surgery my 'sensitivity' went away.

I doubt, though, if it's just one restaurant, that you have you a similar problem. Have you eaten there about the same point on each trip? Maybe a bit dehydration was setting in, and the spices used did not mix well?

Our bodies are such interesting and confusing things. Hope you figure it out, though, so you can enjoy eating there again! :mickey: