PDA

View Full Version : Laid off....feeling depressed

Kennywife
03-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I was laid off a couple of days ago from one of my jobs, not the main one that helps with my trips thank goodness.

I just feel worthless right now and cried myself to sleep last night. I've never been let go by any job before.

Maybe I'm just being stupid. I just felt like letting it out.

Anna

BamaJenn
03-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Anna... I know I'm new here and we don't know each other but let me just tell you that it's absolutely not a sign of your performance in anyway but a sign of the economy. Right now, people who have been in jobs forever... good jobs that they considered a career... are losing those jobs because companies just can't afford to keep them anymore. Being fired for performance is one thing but laid off is completely another. Don't take it personally. Just hope and pray Obama can get us out of this mess! :hug:

SBETigg
03-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Anna, I think that's a perfectly natural feeling after being laid off. Sometimes you just need to cry it out. I think you'll gain some perspective and feel better in a few days. Try to remember that it's not your fault and there's probably nothing you could have done differently. It's not personal. This economy is wreaking havoc in many lives. Best wishes and I hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Lynn J Mc
03-11-2009, 04:02 PM
I know it is easy to get down but did you say ONE of your jobs? Evidently you are very enterprising to have more than one job in this economy!! I'm sorry about the job. Go ahead and have a good cry but don't get down on yourself.

Floridian Yeti
03-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi Anna,
You're not being stupid at all; if you ask me it would be kind of strange if you didn't feel a little upset about being laid off.

Everyone's going to tell you everything will be fine...and it will be! But in the meantime, you have to give yourself a couple of weeks to process everything. Don't dwell on it (like Eeyore...I love Eeyore), but you also don't have to pretend you feel like Pollyanna all the time either. Pollyanna always got on my nerves anyway.

Daisy'sMom
03-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Oh honey, just remember that there are alot of people going thru the same thing. DH is being let go in April, at least we had a warning. We live by this "And this too shall pass." That was my Dad's favorite saying and it really is true. Here is a bit of pixie dust.:tink:

Hull-onian
03-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I don't know exactly what you were doing, but the supermarkets are hurting for cashiers. My supermarket gives employees discounts, and on Sundays you get paid time and half and that money adds up real quick, and on a Monday holiday you get time and half or even double time. Just working a Sunday can boost your income. It's only a suggestion. No lay offs in the super market. Everyones gotta :eat:.

mrsgaribaldi
03-12-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm sorry. I agree with the others, it's no reflection on you :hug:

princessjojo
03-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I can understand how you feel completely. It happened to me even before the economy took it's downturn, just one day before a big vacation. I cried for the entire first day of our vacation and afterwards lived by two things...When given lemons, take them back, get limes and make margaritas. That really made me feel good. But I also kept telling myself that "God brought me to it, God would bring me through it." That time away from working gave me the chance to be with my kids for a while and go back to nursing school, something I don't see going away anytime soon.

Good luck.

DisneyWhirled
03-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm sorry this has happened to you. As others have stated, this has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with the sad state of the economy.

I am hoping that today finds you smiling, and well.

I empathasize with you, I am loosing my current job on June 1, and feel "lost". I can only have faith and believe that when one door closes, another opens.

Take care Anna!!

Disney Doll
03-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck. DH was laid off twice a few years back and it ultimately lead him to a job he likes better. Layoffs are tough, but do try to remember that it's the economy not you! Here's a little :pixie:. Hope you feel better!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Unfortunately in my line of business, I'm preparing a few final wages myself. It's not a reflection on our employees but rather a sign of the times.

I thought I was going to lose my part time job after the holidays because things were so slow in the jewelry business but we just keep plugging along and hope things turn around soon.

My heart goes out to all who are losing their jobs in these tough economic times. I hope you find better jobs, that you love and that pay lots more!

brad192
03-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I feel your pain. I'm losing my position at the end of March, and with the economy the way it is right now, I'm not sure how long it will take to land another position. :( I'm an electronics engineer with a wide & varied background, so hopefully I can find something relatively fast.

Unemployment at 8.1% nationally? Hey, in 2 weeks, unemployment in this household will be 100%. It just stinks.

Here's a :hug: and some :pixie: for you.

Kennywife
03-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, things are going a little better now. I have a few other jobs at home I do (plus the main one that helps me with my Disney trips) and I may get the chance to do online tutoring/scoring of tests in the fall. :woohoo:

I kind of am happy I have a reduced schedule now since Disneyland is coming up and I can have time to get ready for it. :mickey3::minnie:

Anna