PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on good anitvirus for PC

caryrae
03-11-2009, 12:09 PM
What do you guys think is the best Antivirus Software for PC's?

DizneyRox
03-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Nothing Symantec...

I use Avast! free version, and have used Avira at one point but I don't like their free implementation.

I would also suggest a good malware program. My preference is Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy (Notice the AND and not OR).

A good hardware firewall is a good idea as well, I don't mess with those software firewalls (ZoneAlarm, etc). Most Linksys Routers have decent built in firewall functionality.

caryrae
03-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Can the free ones be just as good as the ones you pay for?

BamaJenn
03-11-2009, 02:10 PM
I personally am not a fan of Norton and Symantec... but many swear by them. I've had too many issues with them and seen too many viruses get past it. Now... that was a good 5+ years ago so it may have changed... just speaking from past experience obviously.

For me, I prefer Trend Micro Internet Security. I think Trend Micro is a leader in the AV field. I was first introduced to their products when we rolled out their corporate AV software to the company I worked for a few years back. Since then I've pretty much stuck by Trend's home AV products without difficulty.

My two cents... when it's free AV software, I always wonder where the catch is. I've never trusted the freebies. That said, the free malware software like Ad-Aware and Spybot are great. I've always been an Ad-Aware user.

DizneyRox
03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Absolutely... They have pay products and the free ones are just for Home use. The pay versions give you additional functionality, BUT it's not critical functionality. It's not like because it's free it's only detecting every other virus.

The "catch" with Avast, from what I've seen is that you register on their site and maybe once a month I will get an e-mail about a new product from them, or an upgrade, or something. It's not intrusive in my mind at all.

Ad-Aware and Spybot are really free and have no catch, outside of having the pay versions have additional functionality which most people probably wouldn't know how to use anyway.

I have tried many of the big name softwares. Norton/Symantec is bloated beyond belief and is very hard to completely remove. McAfee had usability issues last I saw it and seemed to slow the PCs down with it. I think both may have gone to a subscription model so you need to pay each year to keep current with virus definitions.

FYI - Both Symantec and McAfee made the list for top tech names you know that won't weather 2009. I just found out Symantec is getting out of the firewall business at the end of this year.

caryrae
03-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks DizneyRox it doesn't hurt to try something that's free, I will give it a shot.

Thank you too BamaJenn.

iDisney
03-11-2009, 07:25 PM
When I had a Windows PC, I always had good luck with AVG Free. Like it's been said, they have paid versions that get you some non-essential fluff.

Now that I have a Mac, I don't worry about it!:thumbsup:

garymacd
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I used Norton for years, but found it to be a memory hog.

I have been using Trend Micro Internet Security for the last 1 1/2 years and not had a problem. It was also the highest rated anti-virus and internet security software according to a web site, magazine and ORGanisation (I don't know if I can mention the name) that deals with REPORTS for the CONSUMER, if you get my meaning.

magicofdisney
03-13-2009, 01:04 AM
I just found out Symantec is getting out of the firewall business at the end of this year.
Maybe this is why I got 360 for about $10 bucks at Christmas time (after rebates). For now, I can't beat that since it's covering 3 computers. So far, so good.

DizneyRox
03-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Maybe this is why I got 360 for about $10 bucks at Christmas time (after rebates). For now, I can't beat that since it's covering 3 computers. So far, so good.
I was more referring to their business class hardware appliances. I'm not sure what they are going to do with their software divisions. Like I said, rumors are Symantec won't survive this year, so they will probably sell them if it does come to that.

JRocker
03-13-2009, 07:56 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about Trend Micro.

I tell everyone to stay far away from symantec. It is a huge memory hog, no matter how many switches you turn off it is still hogging up the memory, which really bogs down the pc. The software is almost as intrusive as a virus, it literally takes away the your control of the computer. And when you go to remove it...sheesh. It's like getting out of the mafia.

McAfee used to be my preferred choice, but it seems over the last two or three years it has gone down hill. What with the substription format and making it more difficult to shut off portions of it for gaming purposes, I can't wait for my year to be up.

PhilHarHarMagic
03-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Check with your ISP to see if they offer anything for free. I think it's hit or miss on how it will impact performance on your PC, so try the free one first. I know Time Warner offers CA's version.

Microsoft has been hyping ForeFront a lot lately. It's been several years since I have looked, but Trend was typically thought of as the least impact to PC performance - don't know who has that recognition now.

If you do go the freeware route, be sure you get one from a legitimate site - there are some sites that aren't legit and you'll be downloading malware or worse. I have no idea which ones are good or bad.

brownie
03-15-2009, 03:11 PM
I use AVG 8.0 free for anti-virus, Comodo free for the firewall (this comes as an Internet security suite now but I don't use the anti-virus portion) along with the router firewall, and Windows Defender. You can get good protection for free (and avoid Norton slowing down your system, which is why I gave it up.)

DawsonAR
03-15-2009, 08:50 PM
We have been using Trend Micro for a few years and have never had a problem. I would highly recommend it.

tjstrike
03-16-2009, 05:08 AM
I've been using Norton and McAfee for over 10 years now w/ no probs. I usually get one or the other free somehow so I swap back and forth. Comcast offers free McAfee so I've used that for a while now. Why does a person running a Mac not have to worry about virus protection ? Are they virus proof ?

DizneyRox
03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Why does a person running a Mac not have to worry about virus protection ? Are they virus proof ?
It's called Security through Obscurity...

BamaJenn
03-16-2009, 10:50 AM
It's called Security through Obscurity...
Most viruses are written in code that is used by Windows but not by Mac. OS X is essentially built on a Unix platform which isn't really penetrable by the sorts of things that Windows is. They do MAKE anti-virus protection for Mac (for instance, here at work on my MacBook I'm forced to use Symantec but all it does is slow the machine down - never catches squat). At home, I've been on an OS X Mac for a few years now and have never had a single spyware or virus issue.

Now... that's not to say there aren't Mac penetrable viruses out there, they are just very very rare and hardly do any sort of damage.