PDA

View Full Version : September weather/MNSCHP

tink179
03-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Ok, so my family and I just went to Disney in January and contemplating going again in September for my DS's 9th b-day and my 30th b-day. We have only planned to go in September one another time and that trip got cancelled, because of Hurricane Francis. Every since then we've been a leery to travel to Florida during September, hence why we always go in January. Anyone that has gone during September can you tell me about crowds and weather? We're thinking of going September 16-26th. My 2nd question refers to the Mickey's halloween party. We have never been and if we go in September this will be a must do on our list. Does everyone only dress in Disney costumes or can you wear other costumes? Everyone one in my family will be able to find costumes that are Disney, but having trouble finding one that my oldest ds doesn't think is too kiddish. He did Jack Sparrow one year, but his head got too itchy with the wig. How hot will it be at night for costumes during that time of year? Sorry for soo many questions, but September is new for me! Thanks everyone!!!

JenniferS.
03-11-2009, 06:45 AM
We always go in September. Usually the first week. The crowds are awesome. Most rides were walk ons, some were 10 min waits. The restaurants were busy, so you'd have to make sure you have dining reservations in advance. Usually its because the last few years it has been FREE dining plan w/ a package. We have never had any problems w/ hurricanes. The weather is unbearabley hot and humid, but it didn't stop us from going. Just be prepared for very uncomfortable weather. We went in places just too cool off with the a/c or back to the hotel for an afternoon swim. We have also been to the halloween party 3 times. A lot of people do dress in Disney costumes, but I did notice a lot of people that were dressed in other types of costumes (not Disney). The party is awesome!!! Hope this helps.

Mfarquar
03-11-2009, 08:33 AM
I have traveled in September for my last 3 trips to the World (plus 1 weekend trip to the Orlando area). We have been lucky enough to always miss the hurricanes, and always have great weather. Last year, I can only remember 2 rain showers the whole 11 days we were there (1 downpour we were riding BTMRR which only lasted about 3 minutes and was a lot of fun, and 1 30 min. rain shower 1 evening).

I don't want to jinx myself, but I've gone to FL during every hurricane season since 2002, and have not hit one. Hopefully, you and your family have hit your hurricane quota!

The weather is slightly less humid than August by the end of the month, and we found the average temp to be 85-90, with at least 1 day in the mid-90s. The heat doesn't bother us so much this time of year due to the short lines. You don't have to wait, so you're constantly in and out of air conditioning.

The crowds for the middle to end of the month are GREAT compared to the rest of the year. We usually never wait more than 10 minutes per ride. The exceptions are TSM (get a fast pass before 12pm!), sometimes Soarin', and sometimes Rock N' Roller Coaster. The latter two are easy to get fast passes for and do something else while waiting. During our September trips, we don't feel inclined to get to the park at opening because we can still do everything due to short lines. EMHs are also good, and aren't insanely crowded like they are at holidays, breaks and parts of the summer.

JenniferS. is right - free dining definitely affects the crowds. The restaurants tend to be more crowded than the rides, and you'll DEFINITELY want to make reservations for all your sit downs well in advance. Also, try to take advantage of the free dining promotion - it's AWESOME (we have saved tons!). Usually it is announced in April, so I would start checking now and check every day just to be on the safe side. It's never guaranteed, but they have been offering it for several years now, and I would be VERY surprised if they didn't offer it again. If you're a Disney Visa member, you can book the free dining promotion 3 days before the general public.

For MNSSHP, I think the best thing to keep in mind is that it is usually still very hot at night. So, I would recommend choosing costumes that do not cover you from head to toe. Every year we see little boys completely covered in Power Rangers costumes and when they take their hoods/masks off, they look like they're going to pass out! Girls especially benefit here because Tinkerbell, Jasmine and Little Mermaid costumes are perfect for the Florida Sept. weather!

People definitely tend to wear Disney costumes, but there are quite a few that wear non-Disney costumes as well. Pirates are always popular (ragged shorts, a t-shirt & vest, an eye patch, and a scarf around your head is pretty comfy in the heat!), but most of these pirate costumes have nothing "Disney" about them. If I had to guess, I would say that for every 10 people, 8 would be Disney costumes and 2 would be non-Disney. The benefit to dressing in something non-Disney is that you will definitely be unique!

Hope this helps, and I hope you and your family have an awesome time! :malef::mpumpkin:

hlkeck
03-11-2009, 08:47 AM
In Sept 07 our MNSSHP was rained out. In Sept '08 we were able to go and enjoy it but it had rained earlier in the day.

People certainly wear all sorts of different, non-disney costumes.

It has been well in the mid-90s most days we were there in Sept. It is very hot, but I live in Ohio and temperature extremes are something you get used to...my kids were 3 & 5 and 4 & 6 these last 2 Sept trips and they handled it. We took mini-spray fans and that kept them entertained.

kathiep
03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
We've done September 3 years running. Other than the occasional shower, admittedly downpour at times, we've had great weather. It's hot & humid but the crowds were light. Most rides were less than 10 minutes stand by wait time. If I weren't against taking my DS out of school, we would be going again this September.

tink179
03-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted!!! I got lots of great input! Well, we booked today for September of 09'! We were just there in January, and I'm having withdrawal. ;) Actually, my DH is giving me this gift for my 30th bday and I'll be celebrating while I'm there, and my ds will celebrate his 9th. This will be our first stay at Port Orleans. I'm really excited and ready to start planning another trip!

Kisobel
03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
we are going in sept as well. been there in oct and jan. never thought i would book a sept trip due to the heat but we got a great pin code and it was the only time that worked for us. we are planning afternoon breaks, swim/nap and maybe utilizing emh. just going to take it slower and keep drinking water.
hurricane season is a little worrisome. but honestly with our jan trip i was worried about snowstorms affecting our flights coming and going. there is always something to fret about.

kate

ASweetLov
03-11-2009, 10:57 PM
My fiance and I are planning on going Sept. 20-25th and it will be the first time we go in September too. This thread has given me lots of information, thanks everyone!

Mfarquar
03-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Tink179 - Keep an eye out for the Free Dining offer. You can probably call and book that, while canceling your previous reservation. It should save you QUITE a bit of $$$, and give you more bang for your buck! :)

caryrae
03-12-2009, 09:03 AM
We go in Sept a lot too and the crowds are pretty good. The last time we went was 2006 and we went to MNSSHP and it was very hot and humid that day and right before the parade it started raining so they waited for the rain to stop before starting the parade, the rain didn't last very long.

ASweetLov
03-12-2009, 02:13 PM
When does hurricane season end in September? Knowing my luck there will probably be a hurricane when I am supposed to be at WDW!

Disney Doll
03-12-2009, 02:17 PM
We're planning our first Sept trip as well- Sept 26- Oct 2nd. Last year we were there the 3rd week in October and the weather was great. I've heard that it is warmer in September and I too was wondering what to expect.

BTW, Tink179, we were also just there in Jan and are going back to celebrate my 30th in Sept. What a coincidence!

faline
03-12-2009, 02:22 PM
When does hurricane season end in September? Knowing my luck there will probably be a hurricane when I am supposed to be at WDW!

Actually hurricane season begins June 1st and runs through November 30th. Peak season though is generally August through October.

I've been to Disney a number of times in hurricane season and only once has a hurricane impacted my visit - almost five years ago, we left a day early due to an approaching hurricane.

Beast_fanatic
03-12-2009, 02:25 PM

Hurricane season does not end in September - it ends at the end of November.

tink179
03-12-2009, 02:25 PM
We're planning our first Sept trip as well- Sept 26- Oct 2nd. Last year we were there the 3rd week in October and the weather was great. I've heard that it is warmer in September and I too was wondering what to expect.

BTW, Tink179, we were also just there in Jan and are going back to celebrate my 30th in Sept. What a coincidence!

That's is a coincidence! :mickey: When were you there in January? When is your b-day in September? Don't we both have such a nice family that we get to celebrate our 30th b-days at a place where you still feel young? :mickey: Oh, how I love Disney World! :cloud9:

tink179
03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Actually hurricane season begins June 1st and runs through November 30th. Peak season though is generally August through October.

I've been to Disney a number of times in hurricane season and only once has a hurricane impacted my visit - almost five years ago, we left a day early due to an approaching hurricane.

I'm pretty sure that was the hurricane that made us cancel our trip! The hurricane came the day we were supposed to fly in. It all worked out, because the airline canceled our flights and then let us rebook for that upcoming January at no extra charge. :mickey:

Belster
03-13-2009, 11:12 AM
We love, love, love this time of year. I went once in September still pretty hot but we like October. The crowds are down and the weather is perfect. I love MNSSHP!!!!! Although we have already done it we will do it again...the best part of it is seeing the park transform into Halloween the music parade and ambiance is fab!

Disney Doll
03-13-2009, 02:42 PM
That's is a coincidence! :mickey: When were you there in January? When is your b-day in September? Don't we both have such a nice family that we get to celebrate our 30th b-days at a place where you still feel young? :mickey: Oh, how I love Disney World! :cloud9:

We were there the last week of January and my birthday is Sept 26th.

tink179
03-13-2009, 04:16 PM
We were there the last week of January and my birthday is Sept 26th.

That's funny!!! We were there Jan 18-26th and my b-day is the 25th! Such a small world!:thumbsup:

MushuGrl
03-16-2009, 02:37 PM
We went in Sept. of 2007. I agree the crowds are AWWWWESOOOOME. The humidity was at 1000% percent (I had a cold or that might not have slowed me down so much). Another thing I noticed is though it did rain every day, it was usually late evening, after we were done - most of the time it didn't start until we were on the bus.

Unfortunately Hurricane Jafar took out our MNSSHP though.