PDA

View Full Version : 'Ohana Review & Other Opinions Please

Adambomb85
03-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I am gearing up to make my 90 ADR next Monday - but at a crossroads. My friends and I are going on a college reunion down to Disney and we are think 'Ohana sounds like fun - but we are a little hesitant because none of us have ever been. Anyone care to share their experiences? How is the food? Do the "kid activities" become a little much? We don't mind some fun, but not something going on every 5 minutes!

Also, any other suggestions people may have for a group of 25 y/o singles to dine at - we'd love to hear!

Thanks all! :mickey:

deedeenmickey
03-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I don't know about Ohanas as we are going there for the first time in June. I think the Biergarten in Germany at Epcot would be fun with a group of young people. I know you mentioned "kidstuff" but being open to kidstuff and not being judged is half the fun therefore I think Crystal Palace at MK would be fun too.
No matter what you choose I hope ya'll have a great time and enjoy your trip.

GoofyGirl18
03-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Ohana is a lot of fun! Just be sure to save room for dessert. I didn't think the kids activities were too obnoxious at all. I'm sure a group of adults would love it there.

SBETigg
03-08-2009, 05:05 PM
'Ohana is a good choice. Great views. You can avoid the kid stuff. There's more than one seating area, one is closer to the kid activites and one is further removed. Our kids are older and we barely noticed the activities when they were going on. It's not a very obtrusive, non-stop kind of thing.

I don't agree with Biergarten as a great place for twenty-somethings. It's very family-oriented and child-centric, which might seem odd for a place called Biergarten, but the band caters to kids. I do love most World Showcase restaurants. Rose & Crown, Marrakesh, Le Cellier, Chefs de France, Teppan Edo or Tokyo Dining, all good choices. I also like Grand Floridian Cafe. California Grill is a great place, too, more grown up, and you don't have to get full meals. You can have drinks and share appetizers/flat breads. In Downtown Disney, Raglan Road has good food and live music.

dolphinmickey9170
03-08-2009, 05:37 PM
You will really enjoy O'Hana. The food is great, the atmosphere is cool and if you time it right, you could see Wishes from right there.

This is what they serve:

Starters

'Ohana Welcome Bread
Mixed greens with a honey-lime dressing

Appetizers/Accompaniments

Pork Dumplings topped with a Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce
Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings

Skewers
Prepared over an oak fire

Asian Barbecued Pork Loin
Spicy Grilled Peel - n - Eat Shrimp
Marinated Sirloin Steak
Mesquite Grilled Turkey

Dipping Sauces

House Made Peanut Sauce
Chimichurri Sauce
Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce

Dessert

'Ohana bread pudding served a la mode with Bananas and Caramel Sauce

My family can be very picky at times, and they loved everything. I must say though, you HAVE to save some room for dessert. I do not like bread pudding.....but this stuff is so delicious!!!!!

I think it is a great place for a bunch of friends to enjoy dinner. Who knows, maybe you'll get in on the actions and join the conga line around the dining room.;)

Hull-onian
03-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Kristen, That was a great post!!:mickey:

disneynarula
03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I think you will get a lot of mixed reviews about O'Hana. It isn't my favorite, but it wasn't terrible. I am not a big meat eater so it doesn't really do it for me. My best friend loves it and makes it a must for even her solo trips to WDW. She is not a huge kid person ( I have two boys) but still loves it . I agree that the meat is good. DH and I are borderline vegetarians so we feel it isn't really a good value for us.

The atmosphere is great. I love the servers there!!!

disneynarula
03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Sorry to double post but we discovered that the later you eat, the less kids there are.

Both of us enjoyed our meal at Wolfgang Puck!

DawsonAR
03-08-2009, 09:25 PM
We love the food at Ohanas. We had a great time and look forward to going again. We aren't much on the "over-the-top" kids activities and we found Ohanas to be the right mix.

Tigerinvestigator
03-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Great choice for your group. Activities pretty low key and not over the top like Whispering Canyon etc. We had a table looking at the MK during Wishes and they pipe the music into the room.:thumbsup:

mickeynminnie08
03-08-2009, 10:54 PM
In my opinion Ohana is to die for. It was mine and my husband's favorite. The children's activities take place right around the center, so if you get tables near the windows (bonus excellent view) you won't really be bothered. Saying that however, we went with my teenage son and sat right by where they were doing the coconut race. He thought it was hilarious to watch.
We also ate at Biergarten while there because I thought my husband would like it. It was just not for me. The food wasn't bad, but I'm not much for cabbage and well german=cabbage in all colors.

WDW1985
03-09-2009, 01:38 AM
My family and I have been going to Ohana for years and it's a great restaurant if you like meat - that's a given. We have always loved the atmosphere including the kid games that lend to the family theme. But, I would agree that a bunch of 25 year olds might want to reserve a little later so there are a fewer kiddos and you can catch the fireworks - very nice to see from the Poly. If you have a large group be sure to reserve EARLY as Ohana fills up flippin' fast these days. Enjoy!

:mickey:
WDW1985

prttynpnk
03-09-2009, 01:04 PM
I think O'hanas is a great choice- we go there every few trips and don't have kids and it's still a fun environment.
I hope you are carnivores!

Adambomb85
03-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice! And Kristen - thanks for the menu posting! 'Ohana here we come! And something tells me my friends and I may join right in with the activities! :thumbsup:

joonyer
03-09-2009, 10:47 PM
We love 'Ohana, it is our family's favorite TS restaurant at WDW. We eat there on every visit to WDW. But we also have 2 boys (9&6 at our first visit) and although they are teenagers now, they still enjoy all the fun. the foos is right up our alley; grilled meat & shrimp and lots of it and the sides are really good too.
It is definitely family oriented, after all 'Ohana (NOT Ohana's or O'hana) means "family"