PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you eat oatmeal?

Hull-onian
03-06-2009, 11:48 AM
I started cooking with steel cut oats. It isn't easy. I find that if you cook them for about an hour they are almost edible. I usually use traditional Quaker oats. I got in my head that steel cut oats would be better. I heard a rice cooker does em perfect. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks :eat:

Marilyn Michetti
03-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Steel cut outmeal has the highest fiber of any cereal hot or cold. Rule of thumb: the longer it takes to cook, the better it is for you.

The ratio, (I think) is three cups water to one cup grain. It takes about 40 min. to cook, but you will never go back to the mushy stuff again.

I have mine with a bit of brown sugar, a dap of butter, and some fat free half and half. Your "morning" experience the next day will convince you of the powers of fiber.:thumbsup:

Stitchahula
03-06-2009, 12:12 PM
I had never heard of them until yesterday when I was reading a BJ's catalog. In it they said to put them with water and apples into a slow cooker on low at night to have when you wake up in the morning. I hope that helps.

ILoveLegos
03-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Alton Brown of Good Eats suggested cooking them in a crock pot over night. Tried it - Yummy! :thumbsup:

afowl1017
03-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Hey oatmeal lovers! I have decided to go buy some this weekend and try the crockpot idea! I always buy the instant Cinnamon Roll flavor but now I will try the steel rolled oats!

Oh and I love to watch Alton Brown....I am going to check out some of his recipes! Thanks for the inspiration. :thumbsup:

Hull-onian
03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
All your suggestions are very good. I make it with raisins and cinnamon sugar. My crockpot only collects dust. So now, I have a good reason to use. I usually do a quarter cup of steel cut oats with one cup of water. The water absorbs real fast, so I need to add more water. So I will try it with the crockpot. :eat:

stitchaholic
03-06-2009, 07:00 PM
sounds good with the apples and cinamon,and afew almond slices added in the morning,yum!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Sorry I can't help. I only eat oatmeal in cookie form with chocolate chips thrown in.

Katzateer
03-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Try this and see if it works-I usually do this

it is for one serving

1/2 cup oats (not instant)
1 cup water

Put in LARGE microwave glass bowl, cook for 4 minutes, let sit about 30 seconds. (The oats bubble up over the sides if you don't use a large bowl.)

Put the oatmeal in a bowl and immediately put the bowl you cooked it in the sink and fill with hot soapy water. The oats stick like crazy if you don't soak the bowl right away.

I put some ground cinnamon, maybe a few blueberries (the frozen work out good since they thaw fast in the oatmeal) and I put a little vanilla-flavored soy milk or skim milk on the oats.

It keeps me full for most of the morning.

Hope it works for you.

Piglet822
03-08-2009, 01:15 PM
My doctor suggeted I use the oats y'all are talking about. Where do you get them?

Hull-onian
03-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Well Stop and Shop sells them in their natural food aisle. Whole Foods, and Trader Joes. They all carry it. This is the beginning of a new work week and I am going to stick to my diet like glue to wood.:thumbsup:

kcrc
03-09-2009, 09:29 AM
I get oatmeal at the cafeteria at my work. They use the Quaker Kettle Oats (I think they're called). They're made for "food service" type setups - according to the package. I'm guessing so they can be kept warm and not become a complete mess. However, I really enjoy the texture of them because they're NOT mushy. Has anyone seen this in a store anywhere? I even checked the Quaker site, but could not find anything.

afowl1017
03-10-2009, 11:24 AM
You are right! Those are used in the food service industry :chef:, but I believe they aren't to different from the the steel cut oats that have been mentioned in this thread. So maybe try the "steel cut" not "rolled". I am not sure you can buy the "kettle" style unless you buy them through a vendor. However.... you could talk to a manager and perhaps buy the uncooked oats from them at the kitchen? Just a thought?

jrkcr
03-10-2009, 11:44 AM
We eat oatmeal every single morning around here. DH and I have weight issues(putting it mildly), and DD15 has cholesterol problems even tho she is skinny and active. All 5 of us eat oatmeal. We do the instant(mushy) kind, long cooking, steal cut, and irish oatmeal. It's all in my cupboard! DD9 will only eat instant with dinosaur eggs(candy) in it.
I get oatmeal recipe ideas from a web site for just breakfast recipes.

Hull-onian
03-10-2009, 06:07 PM
:thanks: for keeping the oatmeal thread going. I decided I would put in the apples and raisins as well as cinnamon. I think it will be yummy. :tasty:

jrkcr
03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
This is what I am trying tonight. Got it from my favorite breakfast website.

Deluxe Crockpot Oatmeal
(7 servings)

1 C quick cooking oats
2 C milk
1/4 C brown sugar
1 T butter - melted
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 C finely chopped apple
1/2 C raisins and/or dates
1/2 C chopped walnuts or almonds
Grease the inside of Crockpot. Throw all ingredients inside Crockpot and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
Stir before serving.
Great served with milk.

Hull-onian
03-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Ooh, I like that recipe. Sounds delicious. Better than what I have been concocting. I will print on microsoft word, so then I will have it. Again thank you.

diz_girl
03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't have a recipe for oatmeal. I just use one packet of Quaker Weight Control oatmeal (Cinnamon flavor) and one packet of regular oatmeal. That's 9g of fiber with only 260 calories, plus another 20-40 calories from cream or milk.

Of course, when fresh raspberries are in season, I skip the oatmeal and have a breakfast of vanilla yogurt, granola and fresh raspberries. It is quite yummy.

jrkcr
03-14-2009, 09:17 PM
The recipe above called for cooking it all night, but then I realized it was for a regular shaped round crock pot, and since I have a bigger oval one, I thought I'd cut the time in half. So I planned to get up at 4am to cut it on. I slept all night! oops.
So I started it at 7am on low heat, and it was completely cooked by 8am! One hour-NOT eight!! If I had cooked it any longer it would have been burnt. As it was, it was crispy around the edges, and tasted pretty good.

When I have something stuck/baked on, I fill the pan with water and add a dryer sheet. I had to soak the crock pot in water with a dryer sheet. So any longer than 1 hour and it would have been a mess!

But we all liked the taste, so I plan to keep the recipe. :thumbsup:

pixiesmimi
03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Steel cut oats is what Dr. Oz recommends that is the best thing for you. I've been wanting to try them but don't know if I can find them around here or not and wasn't sure how to cook them. Thank you for these recipes. If I can find them, will cook them overnight in the crockpot. DH and I have to get up at 4:30 every morning so this will be a good way to have breakfast waiting for us.

Hull-onian
03-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Steel cut oats is what Dr. Oz recommends that is the best thing for you. I've been wanting to try them but don't know if I can find them around here or not and wasn't sure how to cook them. Thank you for these recipes. If I can find them, will cook them overnight in the crockpot. DH and I have to get up at 4:30 every morning so this will be a good way to have breakfast waiting for us.

Not to get off the subject, but I love
Dr. Oz:cloud9: