PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish?

Steveo5c
03-05-2009, 10:58 AM
I just booked a trip to WDW April 27-May4 staying at the Yacht Club. My two sons and I would like to take one of the guided fishing trips. Can anyone suggest which trip to take? I see that they offer trips right from the dock at our resort which I assume fishes the lake in front of the resort (does anyone know which lakes this trip covers?) and there are other trips over at the Magic Kingdom. Also I would like any suggestions on times to fish, I would assume the early morning is better (as it is here in Canada). When I book a trip can I ask for a specific guide? Any suggestions for a guide? Thanks for your help.

medic9016
03-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Here ya go, this will help. http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/recreation/fishing.asp

c&d
03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
We did the bass fishing on Bay Lake. It was a couple of years ago, but I know we were out for a couple of hours and we caught a bunch of fish (it's catch and release). That day all the fish were hanging out by the dock at the Contemporary so everyone getting of the boat was really impressed with what we were catching.

Our son also got a subscription to Bass Fishing Magazine.

Our guide was John and he was great. We did the fishing in 2006 so I'm not sure he's still there.

DawsonAR
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
We did the trip on Bay lake last April and had a wonderful tirp. We caught a lot of nice size bass. I would highly recommend it.

javamama
03-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I did it at the CR also in the '80's--don't laugh I was in high school back then. We did the bass fishing I think it was '87--check my siggy--we caught alot of fish my dad still has a pic of his little princess catching fish at WDW:cloud9:

Figaro
03-05-2009, 11:36 PM
I haven't done the fishing, however, I have talked to many guest who have and they all have a blast on it. I've seen the Bay Lake/7 Seas fishing and it looks like a lot of fun. They stock Bay Lake and 7 Seas, and professional fishermen use the lake for practice, also. You are guaranteed to catch something. If you're going to do the fishing, I'd personally recommend Bay Lake/7 Seas. Crescent Lake or any other lake doesn't seem like it'd be as big and as enjoyable...

Steveo5c
03-06-2009, 09:06 AM
If we were to book a guided trip at Bay Lake and we are staying at the Yacht Club, what is the best way of getting there and how long will it take?

Marilyn Michetti
03-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I was going to give DH the fishing experience this year, but we decided not to do our Dec. trip, and are putting the $$ into home improvement.

In the past, I have him the Segway thing, and the Steam Train. We did Key's to the Kingdom, also, which was really fun.

It used to be you could fish in DLR and they would keep your fish on ice for you, but that was a LONG time ago.:cool:

spoiledraf
03-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Ive gone five or six times my last three trips and quite honestly, if you are at the Yacht Club, just go from the marina their. I've fished there and Bay Lake and while the guides at Bay lake, who are very competitive, will tell you it's better fishing over there, I never noticed much difference. If you go early, you can go over to the World Showcase area. Great view from the water and sunrise is really neat. Theres a deep drop off right as you leave the canal to the lake and we got some nice fish there with shiners. I did most of my fishing withTexas rigged or Carolina rigged plastics and hit all the weed beds along the lake and the canals going over to DHS.

It's a lot easier than getting a cab over to the Contemporary or GF. And this trip I plan on taking the first two hours for myself and picking up the grandkids for a while after they get breakfast.

Until this year, we always went on the Premium plan (4 days/3 nights)as it included all the fishing you could handle. I'd go for 2 hours, meet the wife for breakfast and go back out. We got enough of the parks in the evening after an early dinner. This time we are going on the 7 for 4 deal and the premium plan is not available so it's out of pocket. Don't think I could afford it for 7 days any way. I'm sure you'll have a great time. My guide was Missy. She works the YC/BC dock M-F along with a couple others. They have all been great.

So to answer all your questions, I suggest stay at the Yacht Club.

If not, I took a taxi over to the CR.

At the YC, you fish the lake at the Marina and World Showcase but mostly the canals as the bass hang out in the weeds.

As to time, I too always went early, but, several guides mentioned on at least one trip that early afternoon sometimes was better. If you fish regularly, you know it can be a crapshoot for when the best time is. Also, I did not do well with any crankbaits, but thats a it or miss thing too and I don't use them often at home so maybe it was just me.

You can request a guide. As I mentioned, mine was Missy three times. Can't remember the others names.

Good Luck!