PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Release T.O.

Melanie
03-05-2009, 02:43 AM
THIS is the lead story on cnn.com? Not cnnsi.com, but cnn.com. Oy.

Cowboys reportedly release Owens

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Terrell Owens' days in Dallas are done, according to ESPN.

ESPN cited anonymous sources Wednesday night in saying that the Cowboys have decided to cut the receiver, ridding them of a big locker-room distraction but also absorbing a big hit on their salary cap.

The team did not immediately have a comment. A spokesman for Owens said he hadn't heard the news, and that Owens was traveling and could not immediately be reached. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, also did not immediately return a call.

Just a few weeks ago, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones indicated that T.O. was staying when he said, "You and I both know that the one that you're asking about all the time, if I gave you the answer that you want to hear, then you would've already had it. So the fact you don't have it ought to tell you something. It really should."

Jones seemed to enjoy the publicity Owens stirred up as much as the touchdowns he scored. However, there were several in-house issues involving Owens that may have ultimately prompted Jones to decide the receiver wasn't worth the trouble he caused.

Owens will count about $9 million against the cap. His absence means one less high-profile player to open the Cowboys' new, $1.1 billion stadium, and fewer No. 81 jerseys to sell.

While Tony Romo also will be without the recipient of most his touchdown passes, he also will no longer have to make sure T.O. has enough passes his way to make him happy. Whether that was perception or reality will no longer matter either.

The Cowboys went 31-17 in Owens' three seasons, but 0-2 in the playoffs.

Jones essentially forced Owens on then-coach Bill Parcells, a relationship underscored by Parcells referring to Owens as "the player." Owens drew attention to himself during training camp by dressing up as a pro cyclist while riding a stationary bike, then had an accidental overdose early that season.

Yet when Parcells turned to unproven Romo midway through that season, Owens sparkled. They kept it up the next season, leading the Cowboys to all sorts of club records on their way to a 13-3 season and a division title. The Cowboys lost their first playoff game, days after Romo and others went on a trip to Mexico, and Owens tearfully defended Romo, saying, "That's my quarterback."

Owens got a new contract last summer, a four-year, $34 million deal that included a $12 million bonus.

The best news for Owens would be if the cameras were rolling for the new reality TV show he has in the works when he got the news from the Cowboys.

Where might he end up next? That's sure to be the next drama, and perhaps more great fodder for his TV show.

He's not likely to return to San Francisco or Philadelphia, the other places he wore out his welcome. Then again, it seemed unlikely he would come to Dallas after having offended Cowboys fans by celebrating on the team's star logo while playing for the 49ers.

Don't expect him in Miami, not as long as Parcells is in charge. And perhaps also count out Kansas City because new coach Todd Haley and Owens hardly got along when Haley was Dallas' offensive coordinator.

The Cowboys should still have a potent passing game, at least if receiver Roy Williams can live up to his big contract and the two draft picks Dallas gave up to get him from Detroit. Romo also still has his favorite target, tight end Jason Witten.

Over three years with the Cowboys, Owens caught 235 passes for 3,587 yards and 38 touchdowns in 47 games. He led the NFL with 13 TDs receiving in 2006, his first season in Dallas.

Over his 13-year career, he's a five-time All-Pro and ranks second in career touchdowns, fifth in career yards receiving and sixth in career receptions. He turned 35 in December, but remains a physical specimen.

Ian
03-05-2009, 07:01 AM
:secret:

JPL
03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Owens will count about $9 million against the cap.
Sorry but :rotfl::funny:

TinkerbellT421
03-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Sorry but :rotfl::funny:

:ditto::exactly::haha::fresh:

Ian
03-05-2009, 10:49 AM
I know ... the "I told you so!" factor is almost too good to pass up here ...

I had to listen to those Cowboy Cockroaches talk about how it would be different for T.O. in Dallas ... they had a "real" quarterback ... a winning franchise ... they'd have all these Super Bowl wins ... and T.O. would just be as happy as a pig in ... uh ... mud. They knew how to handle stars and they were doing to be the ones to help T.O. maximize his potential and they were the ones who would get T.O. to retire a Cowboy and go into the Hall of Fame wearing the star on his helmet.

HA! How'd that work out for ya????

medic9016
03-05-2009, 11:52 AM
As a life long Cowboys fan, I hated the signing of T.O. from the begining. What a cancer he has been. So long.
Now if Jerry Jones will stop getting free agents from the police blotters, maybe they can put together a decient team. I would bet Jones has his eys on Vick.

Ian
03-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I really loved their All Criminal team last year ... that was quite a crew Jerry assembled!

medic9016
03-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I really loved their All Criminal team last year ... that was quite a crew Jerry assembled!

:tiphat::laughing::laughing:

gueli
03-06-2009, 03:42 AM
Now the question is who will opt for him to be on their team ?
I heard one coach- come out and say he did not TO - He drops too many balls.

I wonder if the patriots could rehab him? They have done a nice job with moss. (actually I think Moss has a lot to do with it).
I am confident the jets will have no interest in him- we only seem to care about getting the d up to speed.

:beer:

RAIDER
03-06-2009, 07:05 AM

Yup i am gutted ... Al Davis got outdone there :D
whats going on !!!:thedolls:

VWL Mom
03-06-2009, 08:14 AM
These are the odds from an NFL site on where he'll end up:

Oakland Raiders 7/2
Washington Redskins 4/1
New York Jets 13/2
Tampa Bay Bucs 11/2
New England Pats 13/2
Tennessee Titans 13/2
Miami Dolphins 8/1
Philadelphia Eagles 50/1

DS17 is picking Tennessee

Ian
03-06-2009, 08:25 AM
ProFootballTalk.com had the "Who Does NOT Want T.O." blog going yesterday ... here are the teams they've listed as uninterested in Terrell Eldorado Owens:

Dallas Cowboys (obviously)
New York Giants
Washington Redskins
Baltimore Ravens
San Francisco 49ers
Minnesota Vikings
Atlanta Falcons
Cleveland Browns
San Diego Chargers
Philadelphia Eagles
New York Jets
Tennessee Titans
St. Louis Rams
New Orleans Saints
Houston Texans
Jacksonville Jaguars
Miami Dolphins

By my count, that's 17 of 32 teams who have already publicly stated "No thanks!" when it comes to T.O.

Since the Giants are on the "No thanks" list, I think I'll root for the Panthers to get him. They were very good last season, so I'd love to see them get a big dose of T.O. next year and ruin their franchise for a few seasons. Make the Eagles life a lot easier! ;)

JPL
03-06-2009, 12:06 PM

Hey atleast their criminals were smart enough not to shot themselves in the leg :(

TinkerbellT421
03-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey atleast their criminals were smart enough not to shot themselves in the leg :(

:funny::funny::funny::rotfl::rotfl::silly::haha:
I just spit my soda out all of my computer here at work! So much trying to make it look like Im actually doing work lol!!!

Ian
03-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Burress would be such a perfect fit to replace T.O. in Dallas ... but it's a win/win for me, because either way that idiot plays for one of the Eagles' chief rivals!

:gangster:

ibrowse17
03-06-2009, 02:34 PM
:sick: of TO, and Jerry Jones makes me want to:ack:.

meldan98
03-06-2009, 03:26 PM
All I have to say is....

Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah, hey, hey, goodbye!!!

and please don't come to SF!!! We don't want you here either.

WDWfanatic742
03-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Terrell Owens to the Bills :confused:

Hammer
03-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Tim Russert is turning over in his grave :shake: !

JPL
03-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I guess Buffalo thought all these other teams were wrong about him :rolleyes:

Ian
03-08-2009, 07:47 AM
This, along with the Manny contract, just goes to prove that as long as you have talent someone will pay you big bucks and take a risk on you.

I 100% guarantee you that Mike Vick gets a job shortly after getting out of the clink.

DAKustodial
03-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Get your Buffalo Wings ready!

Seriously, I saw the news this morning and started laughing...someone else is taking a chance on this guy???

Bills fans, here's how it's going to go: You'll love him at first, he'll be funny on TV and catch a bunch of touchdowns...then, one game he'll only catch two or three balls and he'll start privately complaining about it...a few games later he'll actually have a big game, but tell the media he was open in the other games as well...he'll gain some support in the locker room from some of the younger offensive players (receivers) who think he's right...then, the young offensive players will turn on him and he'll try to get some support from the defense...then he'll do something crazy on TV, say some really damaging things about the QB and other offensive players, then the season will be over and he'll be looking for a new team again.

Hammer
03-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Actually, looking at what the Bills did, it really isn't as dumb of a move as I originally thought. See, as history has come to prove, T.O. usually behaves himself the first year he is with a team. Plays nicely with others and doesn't complain in the press. The Bills signed him to a 1 year deal. They'll get production out of him, people in the seats, merchandise sold and when T.O. comes at the end of the year looking for a big money multi-year deal, the Bills can cut ties with him.

tjstrike
03-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Really guys, it's Buffalo. What do they got to lose !!

:football:

DAKustodial
03-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Actually, looking at what the Bills did, it really isn't as dumb of a move as I originally thought. See, as history has come to prove, T.O. usually behaves himself the first year he is with a team. Plays nicely with others and doesn't complain in the press. The Bills signed him to a 1 year deal. They'll get production out of him, people in the seats, merchandise sold and when T.O. comes at the end of the year looking for a big money multi-year deal, the Bills can cut ties with him.

The difference is, he was on a good team at the start with the Eagles and Dallas. Buffalo's had three straight 7-9 seasons and they have a young, third year quarterback. It will be interesting, to say the least!

gueli
03-09-2009, 10:01 PM
6 mil.

Now thats a lot for your average joe, or even gueli, but in the scale of things, its not an impossible salary, or by nfl standards even that high.

and yes ian- I agree.
Vick will get a chance to play- provided the commish lets him.

Back to T.O. or as one of my favorite people called him- the player.
Of course someone hired him. Any team with a need will give it a try. I hope Buffalo gets their money's worth out of him.
I do not hate TO. I like that he drops soo many balls. It makes things interesting.:silly::haha:
Eventualy a bills fan will be :bang: just like so many others (when it comes to the players playmaking ability).
:mickey:

PS- at least the jets did not want him...:beer:

Ian
03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
I see a huge difference between T.O. going to two teams (the Eagles and the Cowboys) that were winning franchises when he joined them and now him going to the Bills, though.

I mean the Bills pretty much stink and they have stunk for years. Plus, they've got some QB issues up there, which is what seems to drive him nuts.

If the Bills start out 2-4 and T.O.'s not getting his catches, he could be going off the deep end by mid-season.

The guy's a franchise killer.

Greenlawler
03-12-2009, 12:51 AM
T.O. is usually on his best behavior in the first year of the contract so the Bills were wise on a one year deal.

After watching the Titans dreadful recieving core I would have liked to see him here for one year. We are so close, he really could have helped.

I know its a gamble but I am willing to take the chance. I know that sounds crazy but I was sick to my stomach watching the Steelers (whom I have nothing against) win the Super Bowl. We blew it again!

gueli
03-12-2009, 03:27 AM
I know its a gamble but I am willing to take the chance. I know that sounds crazy but I was sick to my stomach watching the Steelers (whom I have nothing against) win the Super Bowl. We blew it again!

:stop:
Wait a minute. You think YOUR team was close...
40 years...:bang:

Ian
03-12-2009, 10:09 AM
I know its a gamble but I am willing to take the chance. I know that sounds crazy but I was sick to my stomach watching the Steelers (whom I have nothing against) win the Super Bowl. We blew it again!Eagles fans and Cowboys fans said the same thing and you see how that worked out.

I don't understand how many franchises this guy will have to kill before people stop being willing to give him another chance!

Not to mention the fact that he's very old and he drops way too many balls.

gueli
03-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Eagles fans and Cowboys fans said the same thing and you see how that worked out.

I don't understand how many franchises this guy will have to kill before people stop being willing to give him another chance!

Stop giving him another chance ? Come on Ian- If a football owner thought someone like OJ simpson could play - somewhere there would be someone who would hire him. (michael vick will be back in the NFL if he has the talent- oh no I hope the Jets do not decide to give Vick a chance...:bang:

One thing, Though the Eagles & 'boys collasped, TO while a factor could not have been the only one. The game is a team game, TO didn't throw the ball to himself (than drop it). Only a realy strong 'powerhouse' of a coach or GM (thinking Parcells) can keep someone as strong (personality wise) as TO in Check. In the end TO hasn't killed any franchises- he may have sent some fans to the ER - but none of the franchises immediatly collapsed with or without him.
As a point, even you have said Andy Reid is a major reason why the eagles have had troubles. The eagles - to validate the point that TO is not a franchise killer- did not get to Win the show this year (when TO was not a distraction) or the year(s) that he was with the team. While as fans, you might consider him toxic to team chemistry, and you might be justified- TO is not the one reason the eagles or boys did not win a superbowl. It takes a team to win or loose it.
:beer::stir:
:mickey:

Greenlawler
03-12-2009, 11:59 PM
:stop:
Wait a minute. You think YOUR team was close...
40 years...:bang:

Yes we were close in fact we beat the Steelers just three weeks earlier. Granted the Jets had a good run including a beating they gave us, but that was mid-season. The Titans were one yeard away in 99. And this year we were 13-3! Only the stinking Ravens have stopped us from two super bowl wins.
I truly feel your pain, I do hope the Jets win a title sometime. As a Brewers/ Vanderbilt fan I have had little to cheer for. 40 years, huh? Try being a Vandy fan 100+ years of misery and two bowl wins.
:thumbsup:

Greenlawler
03-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Eagles fans and Cowboys fans said the same thing and you see how that worked out.

I would argue that T.O. had little to do with his teams fuetility. And he was NOT a distraction in his first year at either place, which was my point. Look I am not a big fan of his antics either, but he is no Manny or Pac-Man. He only feeds the media's desire to cover him. He may drop passes but he catches deep touch down balls, look at his stats. He does something the Titans have never had. A playmaker who stretches the field.

indytraveler
03-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I have to agree. if the Bills start out rough it could be all over. He has a way to bring the team down around him. James Hardy just had to give up his jersey #81. I don't think he was compensated. Hope that wasn't the case.
I'm rooting for this to be a disaster.

JPL
03-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey we all know one thing it will certainly be entertaining :thumbsup:

Ian
03-14-2009, 10:07 AM
I would argue that T.O. had little to do with his teams fuetility. And he was NOT a distraction in his first year at either place, which was my point. Look I am not a big fan of his antics either, but he is no Manny or Pac-Man. He only feeds the media's desire to cover him. He may drop passes but he catches deep touch down balls, look at his stats. He does something the Titans have never had. A playmaker who stretches the field.He may not be Pac-Man, because he has mostly avoided off-the-field issues, but he's definitely Manny. He's a me-first guy who's a clubhouse cancer. That's the definition of a Manny.

Jeff G
03-15-2009, 01:45 PM
I have nothing new to add and have only one thing to say....

Thank God he's not a Packer!!!!!