PDA

View Full Version : Dining at Disney Studios

MistressGracey999
03-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Hi all!

We are heading to Disney Studios for only the second time ever on our upcoming trip. Last time we were there, we ate lunch at the Toy Story Pizza Planet, and dinner at the Sci-Fi. This year, we'd like to keep the same "counter-service lunch, table-service dinner" pattern, but try new eateries for both.

I would love to know what everyone's recommendation would be for lunch and dinner based on your experiences. TIA:thumbsup:

Speedy1998
03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Mama Melrosa's is real good if you like Italian.

Brown Durby is real good too, but expensive.

As for counter service, I am not crazy about any of the counter service in DHS.

RedSoxFan
03-04-2009, 06:57 PM
We've eaten at Mama Melrose twice and at Prime Time 50's once. Both have great food (IMO) and PT 50's is a lot of fun.

disneynarula
03-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I like the Prime Time. Not a real fan of the counter service. My favorite "lunch" is a pretzel and fruit from the fruit stand near Tower of Terrror

dfamasb
03-04-2009, 07:18 PM
I can't offer a counter suggestion, but we had a great experience at 50's prime time a few weeks ago. Good food and lots of fun :thumbsup:

DisneyPrincess21
03-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi all!

We are heading to Disney Studios for only the second time ever on our upcoming trip. Last time we were there, we ate lunch at the Toy Story Pizza Planet, and dinner at the Sci-Fi. This year, we'd like to keep the same "counter-service lunch, table-service dinner" pattern, but try new eateries for both.

I would love to know what everyone's recommendation would be for lunch and dinner based on your experiences. TIA:thumbsup:

You said you have had dinner at sci-fi but have you tried lunch at Sci-Fi? They have really good burger's and sandwiches (the rueben is really good) They both come with fries and cost around $9 each.
Me and my mom usually split our lunch. One of us will get the burger and one gets the rueben and we split it half and half. yummy :eat:

goofy78
03-04-2009, 07:51 PM
You said you have had dinner at sci-fi but have you tried lunch at Sci-Fi? They have really good burger's and sandwiches (the rueben is really good) They both come with fries and cost around $9 each.
Me and my mom usually split our lunch. One of us will get the burger and one gets the rueben and we split it half and half. yummy :eat:

That sounds tasty! I usually go to Catalina Eddies on sunset for counter service. As far as table service goes, you should try Mama Melrose's or 50's Prime Time Cafe.

markyv
03-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Might I also give a plug for 50's pt. We not only like the food, but the fun/atmosphere is really great. I also like the idea of sci fi for Lunch. Their lunch menu is reasonly priced for a sit down meal.

MistressGracey999
03-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks, everyone! Intercot posters are a wealth of information!

DisneyPrincess, thanks for another great tip! We actually WERE thinking of doing Sci-Fi again since it was so much fun last time, but the dinner menu had nothing my boys would eat on it. But hamburgers for lunch there sound great!

Is Mama Melrose's the place with the flatbreads that I've heard so much about?

the other micki
03-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Our entire party of 7 enjoyed Mama Melrose's on a previous trip. I recommend it. We did the Fantasmic pkg. with MMs. On this trip, we're trying out Sci-Fi for lunch and 50's PTC for dinner on the same day. It's the only day we're doing 2 TSs. The only cs we've done is Pizza Planet and you already know about that. :)

tjstrike
03-05-2009, 12:54 AM
That cs over by star tours is good, I think it's called the back lot cafe. (Or something like that ?)

crazygoalie39
03-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Is Mama Melrose's the place with the flatbreads that I've heard so much about?

Yes it is!!! We absolutely love Mama Melrose's it's a must do every trip. It's definitely our favorite restaurant.
As for CS there isn't a lot in DHS. I would have to say Backlot Express or Rosie's All-American Cafe.

PrettyMinnie
03-05-2009, 12:01 PM
That cs over by star tours is good, I think it's called the back lot cafe. (Or something like that ?)
I cant remember the name of that place either, but we ate there on one of our trips and it was good. I agree there are not too many good counter service places in the Studios.

KylesMom
03-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Backlot Express for CS Lunch, and Mama Melrose TS for Dinner! :thumbsup:

jcvalenti
03-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Both PT and Mama Melrose's are great. We usually do PT for lunch, and MM for dinner ... since they are more party friendly, and we have a big group that likes to drink lots of wine. The service at MM is excellent, and I think it's probably the best dining value in the whole WDW for the food and fun you get.

joonyer
03-05-2009, 02:01 PM
For CS at DHS we like Rosies/Toluca Legs Turkey Co. (on Sunset Ave. down near Tot and RnRC.
They have regular food; burgers, Foot Long dogs, chicken strips and of course, Turkey legs.

We also like the ABC Commissary: (Just behind Sci-Fi Dine-In) Chicken Yakitori, Vegetable Noodle Stir Fry, & Tabbouleh Wrap for something different.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Starring rolls has gourmet deli sandwiches and killer desserts-for counter service

like2workout
03-06-2009, 09:11 AM
i'd say starring rolls for counter service and brown derby for sit-down. they both offer very different food than other places in the parks and are two of my favorites. enjoy!

Mfarquar
03-06-2009, 10:10 AM
I too, like going to Catalina Eddie's for a quick counter service.

I must go against the tide here about Mama Melrose's, though. We have had 2 bad experiences here (we gave it a second shot several years later). To us, the food is on Olive Garden Italian food level. I can't say anything was very impressive. It was edible, but the flat bread was dry and boring (the flatbreads at the California Grill are a TOTALLY different story) and the tiramisu tasted like the kind you get frozen at Costco. It's always been very slow, and the last time it felt pretty dirty (tables needed to be cleaned again, food all over the floor, etc.).

We've had MUCH better experiences at 50s Prime Time. The theme is GREAT (very detailed) and the servers never break character (don't put your elbows on the table!). It's good 1950s comfort food, great service, not to mention it's a hoot! If you're looking for a stiff drink, their list is expansive for a theme park restaurant. Our food has always been to our liking (meatloaf, fish dishes), and the S'mores are GREAT! Try the peanut butter and jelly shake (They can even make a low-sugar one for diabetics like my dad!)

Our favorite HS restaurant is the Brown Derby, which I obviously also recommend. The Cobb Salad is exactly what the original Brown Derby designed, and the grapefruit cake is a sweet ending! Also, they have the best pork dish I've ever had in WDW.

BamaJenn
03-06-2009, 10:23 AM
We love the ABC Commissary for our counter service lunches at DHS. There's a good selection to satisfy everyone in the travel party which is always nice. Plus it's relatively well priced.

As for a table service dinner, the buffet at Hollywood & Vine is very good and you just can't beat a buffet for having a varied selection and the ability to eat as much as you'd like and then pile on the desserts! :D

MistressGracey999
03-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Getting hungry!:eat:

I saw some pics of the inside of the Brown Derby and did it look nice! Would seem weird to be sitting there sweaty in my Mickey T-shirt and Goofy flip-flops eating a fine meal, but I'd get over it.:D

Thanks again everyone for all the insight! Intercot rules.

One more thing, has anyone did the Fantasmic dinner package? If so, was it worth it? Last time we went to DS, we strolled on into Fantasmic, no problem, but this year will be our first going in early December. I heard it can be pretty hairy getting in there at times.

TIA:mickey:

the other micki
03-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Since they have stopped showing Fantasmic every night, it may be advantageous to have the Fantasmic pkg. with the Brown Derby ADR. Heard it can get really crowded on those 2 or 3 nights a week that they show it.

nascar#20'sGIRL<3
03-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Mamma Melrose's is really good if you're in the mood for Italian.
50's Prime-Time Diner is good for a sit down and a get-out-of-the-rain meal (just keep your elbows off the tables)
I also like the Backlot Cafe, i think thats what its called, they have just fast food, but its a quick fix when you're hungry:D

Tigerinvestigator
03-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Backlot Express is one of our favorite counter service meals at WDW. The food is similar to the other places (the veggie sandwhich is great here and I am a big Meat fan) but the atmosphere is classic studios. The music playing are movie and tv hits from the 70's and 80's. The whole place is set up like a backstage warehouse full of props etc. It is also away from alot of the hustle and bustle of the studios.

Mama Melrose is a great choice for dinner. The flatbread is excellent. I would only choose 50's prime time if you had a bigger group and you really just wanted to have fun. IMHO the food is ok/good but not as good as Mama Melrose. The atmosphere is the big draw to 50's Primetime Cafe.:thumbsup:

DisneyGiant
03-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Stay away from the Commissary - especially the Ugly Betty burger - it was - and I don't use this word lightly - DISGUSTING.

I really should have tried to get my money back - it was truly uneatable - but I figured - live and learn.....

We go to pizza planet - my nephews love that place.

LudwigVonDrake
03-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Try the 50s Prime Time and Mama Melrose's on your next trip :tasty:

dolphinmickey9170
03-08-2009, 06:06 PM
We like to do the Fantasmic Package Dinner, so we usually go to either Mama Melrose's or Hollywood and Vine. We couldn't figure out what we wanted of Mama's menu, the server asked us what we felt like and then she spoke with the chef. She returned with a fabulous meal, exactly what we wanted. Delicious. Hollywood and Vine has a buffet, so any pickey eaters can find plenty to fill them up. Since the Fantasmic pkg is a fairly early dinner time, we would not do a lunch, but we would go to Starring Rolls and get yummy cinnamon buns and chocolate croissants. :tasty:

dixielandings
03-09-2009, 08:26 AM
50's Prime Time is my hands-down recommendation for TS. It's been one of my top 5 dining experiences since the first time I ate there several years ago. You will not forget it. Please have the meatloaf...or something equally comforting, like fried chicken or pot roast. And go early enough before you ADR to have a cherry Coke in the Tune-In Lounge.

I found Mama Melrose's enjoyable the one time we ate there. Nice atmosphere - very NY basement-like. Brown Derby is just too stuffy for me. And I don't like Cobb Salad so...

CS - the one near Star Tours is indeed Backlot Express. I've not eaten there but it's got a neat atmosphere. I can recommend the one in the back next to the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area. Open air, good chicken wraps and BBQ sammies, comfortable and plentiful seating, breezy, and if you care, they serve beer, which can be refreshing on a hot day if you have a Lite one.

Mickey91
03-09-2009, 08:57 AM
We like Backlot Express as a counter service and 50's Prime Time as a Table service. Just know that the 50's Prime Time is a themed restaurant and your server will be your mom, cousin, aunt, uncle or grandma. They will tell you to keep your elbows off the table and take your hat off, etc. Normal table manners. Finish your vegies or no dessert... It is a lot of fun if you go in expecting it and play along. If that isn't your thing, try Hollywood and Vine or Mama Melrose.