PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from or has visited Kentucky?

buzznwoodysmom
03-04-2009, 05:19 PM
My DH is in the National Guard and has a 2 week captains course in Fort Knox, Kentucky this summer. We are thinking about joining him. It'll be myself and my two sons ages 9 and 7. During the day while he is in class I'll be doing stuff by myself with the boys and in the evenings my DH can join us for other outings. If I am not mistaken Louisville, Kentucky is fairly close. Will it be safe for me and the kids to explore by ourselves during the day. I know nothing about this area so I am not sure if its relatively safe or if there are certain areas I should avoid. Also there will be several days that my DH can come with us all day. What is there to do in the area? Any suggestions would be great. We'll be there from around June 19th through 4th of July weekend. Is there anything special that usually takes place for the 4th? We are up for anything so the more information and suggestions the better! Thanks!

Strmchsr
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I did my masters and doctorate in Lexington. We loved Kentucky and there's lots of great stuff, starting with Fort Knox. The Patton Museum is very cool. Louisville is pretty close and you can see things like the zoo, a great science and history museum, and the Louisville Slugger plant/museum. Most of Louisville is pretty safe to go around.

Not too much farther away is Lexington. You HAVE to see the Kentucky Horse Park. Over 40 breeds of horses, some former Kentucky Derby winners, and lots of daily shows. Lots of other fun stuff in Lexington, too.

Bardstown is a neat place to visit. You can visit My Old Kentucky Home and see the Stephen Foster Story (the guy who wrote My Old Kentucky Home among other things). You can also see the Gethsemane Monastery. Beautiful place. That's where Thomas Merton lived and wrote from.

And if you want to drive just about 3 hours you can hit Cincinnati and catch a Reds game or see lots of other cool stuff there.

So, lots of choices for the little time you'll be there, but you should really enjoy it. Be sure you get some Grater's Ice Cream while you're up there. It's the best on the planet. Hands down.

Recusit8m
03-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi there...My family and I live in the Louisville area and would like to toss afew things your way...We arent from here either and find that Louisville is an extremly poor and boring city...There are a few nice things here such as a local AAA baseball team, a fairly nice childrens museum, and a zoo, but thats about it...The Derby, while it is a longstanding tradition is nothing more than a drinking fest for Riff Raff and B list celebs...My advice would be to venture out to Lexington or head up to Indy which is about 2hrs north...Hope this helps...And tell your husband thank you for serving...

buzznwoodysmom
03-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. We definitely plan on going to the Louisville slugger plant/museum and would also love to drive up to Cincinnati to catch a ball game. Other than those two things we are up for anything else. I did a search online and found tons of fun stuff to do in Kentucky, but wasn't so sure where I wanted to venture out to with just the boys and I. Thanks guys, I am getting excited just reading your suggestions. Keep them coming.

IceRef
03-04-2009, 07:26 PM
BuzznWoodysmom:

Just to weigh in with a thought in the opposite direction, but also within an hour or so of the Fort Knox area.

Our boys were about the same age as yours when we had explored, and really enjoyed the Mammoth Cave area. In addition to the featured cave, there are a number of smaller ones adjacent to the towns of Cave City or Horse Cave. They would offer shorter tour times than Mammoth, and even a bit more of the usual cave formations from a scenic aspect that Mammoth lacks.

The secondary caves are generally very close to the I-65 exists, so you might not have to wander to far off the beaten path to find them.

Hope this helps with another idea. KY is really spectacular.

Strmchsr
03-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Our boys were about the same age as yours when we had explored, and really enjoyed the Mammoth Cave area.

That reminded me...only a couple of exits north from Mammoth Cave on I-65 is Kentucky Down Under, which is an Australian Zoo and park. All animals from down under, a sheep station, a kangaroo petting area, didgeridoo demonstrations, etc. It's a lot of fun.

TinkiTime1989
03-04-2009, 08:30 PM
I second the Mammoth Cave suggestion! My parents took me when I was about 11 and it was a lot of fun. They tell you a lot about the history of the cave and how it was "discovered" by John Houchins, who I just happen to be related to, so I thought that was very cool. It's definitely worth visiting. :thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
03-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys. We've done the caves and caverns in Colorado, Tennessee and North Carolina and they have loved it everytime. This is something we'll definitely look into. When searching the web I saw a boat tour through a cave that looked really fun. Anyone know anything about it? And the Austraillian zoo sounds like a great alternative to a regular zoo. My youngest loves animals so this will be a must for him. Also, anyone know of any good water parks around the area? Since it will be the middle of the summer a day at a water park would be fun. Keep the ideas coming, I am loving hearing about all the places of interest. Oh, one more thing, any suggestions on places to eat? We'll have a small kitchen in DH's room at the military base, so I am sure we'll do some cooking, but on the nights that DH is off we'll most likely want to eat out.

Strmchsr
03-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Also, anyone know of any good water parks around the area? Since it will be the middle of the summer a day at a water park would be fun.

Six Flags in Louisville has a water park, too.

amy-rella
03-04-2009, 10:05 PM
If you want to make the trek to Cincinnati, about 30 miles north of the city is Kings Island. While it's not WDW, Kings Island is a lot of fun and there are a ton of rides. In addition, KI also has a nice sized waterpark which is built in to your price of admission. Very close to KI is the Beach Waterpark. There's also a Great Wolf Lodge right next door to KI. We usually get a season pass each year as we only live about 15 minutes from the park (wish we lived that close to Disney)! If you want more information about KI, please feel free to PM me. Hope you have a good time in KY!

Tink#64
03-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey Buzznwoodysmom, I would love to help you with a visit to Louisville! I've lived here all my life & we're never want for something to do! There are so many parks, museums & sporting events, plenty to see & do! I'm reading the posts before mine & asking myself what it is that we do here? My DS's 11 & 13 still love the Louisville Science Center, so much fun hands on stuff to do there, located in our downtown area, which by the way has really had a facelift and is architecturally awesome! Also downtown is The Belle of Louisville, if your DS's have never ridden on a real steamboat, it's a nice way to see the river view & the Louisville Sky Line and Waterfront Park has several different areas to it, all accessible off of River Road, with cool water jets, a pyramid to climb, besides several areas with really cool playground type equipment, like swings for adults! & other things I've never seen anywhere else! You can rent surrey bikes or just watch the boats out on the Ohio River! We love to eat at Joe's Crab Shack, Tumbleweed or KingFish on the River so we can watch all the activity on the water!

Our zoo here, IMHO, is much nicer than the Cinci zoo, we can still visit and spend hours there even though we've been going there since DS's were so small, it now includes a splash area, smallish water park, for those hot days! It is a very nice zoo with an acclaimed gorilla exhibit! Six Flags also here with thrill park & water park! Tons of museums here, arts are huge here, the Actors Theatre & Iroquois Ampitheatre have plays, Ky Ctr for The Arts, ballets, operas, etc. We have really nice parks here! Also forgot the Louisville Slugger Museum & tour! Boys love this, and mine just went to the Kentucky Derby Museum and loved it! I can't believe we've never visitied it!

I know there's so much I'm forgetting, if you want to PM me I can probably be of more help! There are a bunch of websites with info on Louisville & the many things to do here! A good one ( I hope this is allowed - if not my apologies!:blush:) - http://www.10best.com/Louisville,KY/ also - http://www.greaterlouisville.com

Wishes for a great trip wherever you go! :tink:

Recusit8m
03-05-2009, 07:12 PM
If you are to venture into Louisville, I would avoid Six Flags as Im concerned about the safety issues there...Young girl lost her legs on one of the rides a bit ago...If you are wishing to go to a park, try Holiday World http://www.holidayworld.com/ in Santa Claus Indiana (about 90min) away...Little more expensive at the gate, but all soft drinks are included, and the routine park food is much more budget conscious...The park is very very clean with some great coasters and a HUGE water park...I would avoid Louisville at all costs personally...We live 10 minutes away and hate going into Louisville (and we are from the Boston area originally)

Tink#64
03-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Yes what happened to that poor girl was a tragedy! It was the SuperMan ride, it took you up to the top & dropped you down! One of the cables broke & severed the poor girls legs! The last I heard, the Park is going after the ride maker! This ride has been removed from the park. I can't imagine what this family is going through! My heart has gone out to them since this happened, June 2007! But like WDW, many, many people visit there on a daily basis, and tragic accidents happen everywhere. As unthinkable as these tragic events are, I guess we all carry on. The sad events that have happened to guests at WDW won't keep me from visiting there, just like this event won't keep us from going to Six Flags here. None of us know the "Plan".

Recusit8m, so sorry that you are so unhappy in the Louisville area. I have lived here all my life, and have never had any desire to leave. But then again we all have that place that we call home!

joonyer
03-06-2009, 11:14 AM
If you or your kids like baseball, the Louisville Slugger factory and museum is a lot of fun.

Mammoth cave is also mammoth fun (but a long way from Louisville) Be sure to get your cave tour tickets in advance (available online). The longest tours are the best, and most interesting.

afowl1017
03-06-2009, 12:34 PM
I have lived in Louisville for about 8 years, then in Fl, and now in IN, but it is a very beautiful city. There are plenty of things to do....the Zoo is awesome! We were thinking of going there this weekend (some family still lives there). You should check out the zoo's web site....a baby giraffe was just born and a couple of years ago a baby elephant was born there, he is very sweet! The Gorilla Sanctuary is superb. There is a small water park there (Glacier Run), a train that goes through three tunnels, and a carousel.

Six Flags is located near the airport and Fairgrounds. I worked there years ago, on the set of the Batman stunt show, which is no longer there. But if you want to do a park... it is close and Holiday world in Southern Indiana is a great family fun park too. All the free sodas you can drink! It is great for those hot July and August days. Their water park is great too!

Feel free to PM me too if you want a second opinion! Thanks to your husband and your family for serving! God Bless! We are humbled by your all's dedication! Have a great trip to the blue grass state!

Scott C
03-09-2009, 01:52 PM
+1(or 2 or 3) on Holiday World. This park beats Disney on friendliness and cleanliness. Will you be staying near Knox or in Louisville?? If your kids are in to the military stuff -- The Air Force Museum in Dayton OH is about 3 hours away -- it is amazing -- about 400 planes to look at. Marengo cave is neat. Huber Winery is supposed to be pretty cool for the kids also. Mammoth Cave area is neat. Corvette Museum and factory tour is nice. Lots to do in the area. I can not emphasize Holiday world enough. The boys will love it.
Any more questions please ask

Thanks
Scott C

d_m_n_n
03-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I really enjoy visiting Louisville. These are a couple of suggestions:

Churchill Downs (Home of the Kentucky Derby). We went there and you have a new appreciation of both Derby History and the horses. While I will never go to a race, we now enjoy watching the festivities on TV!

The Louisville Zoo is really a neat place. Very quiet, clean and a nice selection of animals.

If you are willing to drive...

Holiday World and Splashin' Safari. A very nice clean park. No WDW, but definitely worth a visit. The water park is really a pretty cool place. It gets pretty busy during the middle of the day, but early and late afternoon it is a good time...nice mix of slides for every age.

Indianapolis:

Children's Museum!!! This place is absolutely AMAZING and voted #1 in the COUNTRY several times!!! There are so many awesome exhibits that you could literally spend the entire day there and not come close to experiencing everything! The temporary exhibit is Lego's that your sons might enjoy.

Indpls. Zoo is another very nice, quiet zoo. During this time, they also have the butterfly exhibit at the White River Gardens (right next door) that is so neat to see.