PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a pet that has this?

DreaminofDisney24
03-04-2009, 10:24 AM
One of our 10 month sheltie pups was just diagnosed with medial patella luxation in both of her hind legs (her knees)...basically means that her knee caps don't stay in place and will have to have surgery...poor thing is in so much pain with arthritis creeping in:( Has anyone dealt with this before in their pets-i know it happens in both doggies and cats...our vet was wonderful in explaining everything, but i wanted to see if anyone experienced this first hand...poor girl!!

Stitchahula
03-04-2009, 10:46 AM
I haven't had this in any of my dogs, I just wanted to offer up some :dog::pixie:. I'm glad you have a good vet that explained everything to you. Good luck.

Mickey'sGirl
03-04-2009, 11:00 AM
My friend at work has gone through this with his dog. Shadow has had 3 surgeries, and lots of therapy. He also had a special brace made to support his healing leg.

It was a huge commitment by my friend and his wife, both in terms of time and money, but Shadow is absolutely fine now. They still are very mindful of his activities (they don't want to create a new problem), but he is a healthy active doggie now.

Good luck with everything!

** A side note...Did you get your dog from a breeder? If so, you should contact your breeder to discuss. Our youngest dog was abandoned by a breeder, when a littermate was diagnosed with a floating patella, making the litter impossible to sell. The breeder might be responsible for some of the costs...but more importantly, he can be sure to avoid pairing that sire and dame again.

DreaminofDisney24
03-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Yep, already contacted the breeder who is also wonderful and quite concerned. She was glad to have a heads up about the particular pairing of dogs, and can also let the owner of the 3rd member of the litter know...we also discussed the price of the surgery with her ....(we have 2 out of the three from the litter...Kallie is fine) Good to know that there is light at the end of this tunnel-I hate to see Kaya in so much pain, but my husband and I are willing to put in the time and effort for the recovery. We don't have kids yet (trying!) but for now our four furbabies get all the love and attention!:cat::cat::puppy::puppy:

murphy1
03-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I had a Sheltie growing up and now own a 9 yo Border Collie (Murphy). From what I understand, the hip, leg and eye are the concerns with herding breeds. I'm glad you told your breeder. Murphy is getting stiff in her legs and they gave her some glucosamine pills, you can get the supplements at the Pet Food store you shop at, which should help alleviate some of your pups joint issues.

Hull-onian
03-07-2009, 05:19 PM
:pixie:Hope she gets well soon.

Here we go again...
03-13-2009, 03:55 AM
OMG... I though my dog was the only one in the world with this!

I have a MinPin - Rat Terrier mix. He is built like a Rat Terrier but has the markings of a Doberman.

He pulled his back knee out when he was only about 6 months old running in the yard. We could pop it back in place but as soon as he would run again it would pop out. We brought him to the vet and we were told he had the same thing.... basically shallow knee joints. We were told that he could stay like that and that it was not really painful, but we hated seeing him limping and not running. $600 later he was a new dog. They took him in and shaved the knee socket to make it deeper then sewed the joint in place with a thick dissolving thread sewn in a figure 8 going over the socket. Scar tissue formed over the dissolving thread and that is what keeps the knee in place. We had a new puppie!! In about 2 weeks he was back to new....

Then about 2 months later he went next door to visit the neighbors. We had a small hole in the fence that they said we could leave because my dog would go visit and they love him to death. Well, they had a friend over with their dog and that dog chased mine back into our yard. He blew out the other knee coming under the fence. So.... $450 later he had 2 new knees. (we opted out of the blood work for the 2nd surgery) My wonderful neighbors offer to pay but we would never ask for the money. It was our hole in the fence and they did nothing wrong. They put him in a bright pink (why pink?? lol) cast for the second one since both knees were relatively new. When it came off he was fine. Dogs adjust amazingly well.

My dog has had more knee replacements than me! He has some ugly bumps on both knees from the scars, but no pain and he is now 6 years old.

Patricia
03-13-2009, 07:30 PM
My Yorkie has this in her back legs and it's never been repaired. Because she is so tiny they didn't really want to try and fix it. The fact that it is hereditary was a deciding factor in us never breeding her. It was easy to massage it back into place for her the few times it popped out. She had no pain with it at all and since she was about a year and a half old, she has never done anything to pop it out again. It seemed to be something she became more careful about as she matured. She is now 11 and is a complete fetch-aholic, sometimes soccer player, that runs non stop without any problems. :thumbsup:

DreaminofDisney24
03-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words! Kaya was supposed to have surgery last Thursday, but due to horrible reactions to the pain meds (stuff outta both ends) they had to postpone it until this Wednesday! We are doing both at once to get it over with, and we're hoping for a much happier pup in a few weeks:)