PDA

View Full Version : Snow Thrower engine help

Mr. Brass Bonanza
03-02-2009, 07:07 AM
I've been having problems with my snow thrower and not sure what it is. Recently when I've used it, after about 10-15 minutes, it slowly starts to die like it's running out of gas...slowly sputtering and then stopping. It will only work again if it rests for quite some time. What could be the problem? It has a 50:1 engine, and by mistake I put gas in that didn't have oil in it. I had since put oil in the gas, but not sure if that's what's going on. Maybe it's the spark plug or something. It's definitely not because it's running out of gas. We're having a storm now and I know when I go to use it this morning, it's going to poop out on me after a little bit of using it.

Thanks!

Missy_Mouses_Dad
03-02-2009, 09:45 AM
You could clean your spark plug, it may be dirty with residue. But since the engine starts and runs, there is probably more to it than just the plug. Have you had the engine tuned up? We get dumped on pretty good here in Wisconsin, and I routinely get my snow blower tuned up every couple of years. Also, try letting it warm up for five minutes or so to "blow" everything out of it. Is it backfiring at all? Good Luck!!

Mr. Brass Bonanza
03-02-2009, 12:50 PM
It doesn't backfire at all, and there really isn't any warning. It's exactly like if it were running out of gas. It gave me a good 15 minutes this morning. Started fine, ran fine, and then it just sputters out rather quickly. Just to make sure I check the gas each time and there is plenty.

I haven't had it tuned up in years, so there must be something that hopefully a regular tune up can find and correct.

Thanks!

Scar
03-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Is the choke valve operating properly? And are you opening it up after the engine warms up?

I would also check the fuel and air filters.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
03-02-2009, 01:41 PM
That happened to an old snow blower I had and it turned out to be the carburator was gummed up. The service shop cleaned it, gave the machine a new gasket, and it was good for a couple more years. Snowblowers always go at the worst time.

Something I do every year is run the machine from full to empty a couple times a year to make sure it is ok. My neighbors think I am nuts running a snowblower in September. Maybe I am because I get to do their sidewalks and driveways when it does snow...

We are getting clobbered with snow here. The airport (by Lake Michigan) is supposed to get 15-18 inches by 6 pm. I live 5 miles west, and we only got a dusting.

Good luck. I'll pray for some Disney temps up by you!!:mike:

Mr. Brass Bonanza
03-02-2009, 01:47 PM
All this feedback is great, thank you. I'm pretty sure whatever it is will be cleared up with a tune up. I do indeed start it up a couple of times in the off season and let it run for about 10 minutes. I'm actually not the only one in the neighborhood that does that either.

Newington is near the river, so since we're in the valley we never get as much as they say, which is fine. We got four inches over night and will have about another inch by the time it's over...which seems like never because it's been going for 18 hours. I really don't ever remember it continually snowing for this long before. It's actually coming down pretty hard right now as I type this. Geez!

brownie
03-02-2009, 01:58 PM
A tune up will probably take care of it. I had a similar problem with mine a couple years ago. I had it tuned up and it runs fine again.

sisterdisco
03-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Yikes! Several years ago, I mistakenly put in straight gas vs. the 50:1 and yep----it stalled out and wouldn't re-start. The straight gas ruined the engine.

Good luck!

vizsla
03-03-2009, 05:26 AM
Your carburator is probably gummed up as already mentioned. By putting straight gas in it that one time, it most likely affected the gaskets and diaphrams inside the carb. causing them to swell and start to dissolve apart. It would be best to just rebuild the carb. and tune it up and that should solve your problems.