PDA

View Full Version : New Themed Restaurant Rumor

Mfarquar
03-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Has anyone heard a rumor about a new theme restaurant opening in WDW? There are speculations that it will be tied to the new Princess and the Frog movie. Apparently, there is an comedic alligator in the movie and there are rumors of animatronics of him and some other characters being part of the restaurant.

I would imagine that this could be a good move for Disney. The stakes are kind of high - there hasn't been an animated Princess movie since the 90s. I'm sure any cross-marketing they can do to drum up enthusiasm/interest will be helpful...

Hopefully some info will leak soon! :mickey:

JPL
03-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't want to rain on the rumour parade but I don't think they are even thinking about this until they see if the movie is successful or not. It took years to get movies like Toy Story and Monsters Inc into the parks.

Celestria
03-01-2009, 11:04 PM
princess and the frog? i hope thats not the title of the movie...

DizneyFreak2002
03-01-2009, 11:24 PM
princess and the frog? i hope thats not the title of the movie...

It is... And as far as the restaurant rumor, geez, I hope not.... Sounds silly honestly...

CaptSmee
03-02-2009, 12:30 AM
:confused::confused::confused: That would be 1 strange restaurant!

Cinderelley
03-02-2009, 03:34 AM
I think that it sounds like a cute idea, but I don't see it happening. If they cut the characters out of LTT, just because people were complaining that they needed less character interaction, instead of building a new non-character restaurant, I doubt if they'll do this.

Melanie
03-02-2009, 05:24 AM
It is... And as far as the restaurant rumor, geez, I hope not.... Sounds silly honestly...

Not that I think it's going to happen, but I don't think it's that far-fetched. The movie is set in New Orleans. A cajun-style restaurant is a possibility.

IamBelle
03-02-2009, 06:33 AM
If they cut the characters out of LTT, just because people were complaining that they needed less character interaction,

wow, did they really do this, if so, why come to WDW, if you don't like a lot of character interaction, leave, don't complain and ruin it for everyone else who loves the characters.

Dznygrl79
03-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Not to be a negative Nellie, but I blame the dining plan, when people would come down and pay for characters on their own they really and truely planned for and wanted it, now with the dining plan people just pick what ever is near them and available so they end up eating more character meals then before.
Now I have traveled with my friends without the dining plan, friends with, and my solo trip. I even went with the deluxe on my solo and because I was by myself I targeted every character meal because it was nice to have interaction.
But I never felt it was too much, if your rushing to eat and get out to go do other things I could see it being a problem but if you take your time enjoy the characters, eat slowly and enjoy the time off your feet before you go back and tackle the park it is a wonderful and well needed time to rest. LTT was my favorite character meal and I will truely miss it, I am very sad that they took that nostalgia away.
Now as far as the new resterant I could see the cajun theme working at Port Orleans, but again lets see the characters before we decide if they are truely needing a character meal. Okay thats my opinion/vent!

Ian
03-02-2009, 09:53 AM
If they cut the characters out of LTT, just because people were complaining that they needed less character interaction, instead of building a new non-character restaurant, I doubt if they'll do this.Just for clarity's sake, Disney didn't actually cut out the characters at LTT because people were complaining they needed less character interaction.

A couple years back, Disney claimed that their single biggest complaint was not enough character interaction.

Disney removed the characters from LTT (and did not lower the price, by the way) to save a couple bucks in a time of economic slowdown. What "the people" wanted had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Mfarquar
03-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I found this rumor interesting because it seemed to go along with the character cut backs...

If everything was animatronic (think Rain Forest Cafe), it would reduce the need for any live characters. It might just focus on the animal characters from the film....

lockedoutlogic
03-02-2009, 12:23 PM
I would sooner expect to see pigs flying down main street.....for real....not animatronics or holograms.....before i would expect them to "theme" a new restaurant around a movie that is an unproven commodity.

At most....maybe a new character or two at Akershus....

Expansion and risk taking is not Disney protocol when the coffers are not overflowing....as they clearly are not now....

now if you'll excuse me....I have to go donate five bucks to AIG to help keep the entire american insurance industry (the world industry...actually...) from collapsing....

GrumpyFan
03-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Not that I think it's going to happen, but I don't think it's that far-fetched. The movie is set in New Orleans. A cajun-style restaurant is a possibility.

Agreed! With the economy the way it is right now, I can't see them doing this at the moment. But, a cajun restaurant at Downtown Disney would be a good addition. They have a Jazz Kitchen at DTD in Disneyland, so I could see them adding one at WDW as well, especially if they can get the same people to do it.

Floridian Yeti
03-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Frogs and alligators....yum!

brownie
03-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Maybe they'll be adding new characters to one of the Princess meals, but I think that would still depend on the success of the movie.

GothMickey
03-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Agreed! With the economy the way it is right now, I can't see them doing this at the moment. But, a cajun restaurant at Downtown Disney would be a good addition. They have a Jazz Kitchen at DTD in Disneyland, so I could see them adding one at WDW as well, especially if they can get the same people to do it.

House of Blues is a cajun restaurant. I cannot see a restaurant opening themed to this movie, especially since it hasn't been released yet. Now, if they want to add the princess into a princess meal that is there already, then that would make more sense.

lockedoutlogic
03-03-2009, 09:37 AM
This is another "disney optimism" rumor out of thin air....

There are still many who think that disney is "ahead of the curve" and is desperate to innovate and roll out things in their attractions the minute a film is completed.....

This is far from the case....as they show a remarkable lack of cross-marketing with their attractions and feature entertainment in recent years.....

What was the last attraction that was based on something "current"?

American Idol? Who wants to be a millionaire before that?

In fact....the last themepark attraction to open near the release of a film would probably have been Tarzan Rocks!....10 years ago....and It's tough to be a bug. Of course, you are more likely to incorporate ideas of all kinds when you are opening a new gate that cost you over a billion dollars....especially one that opened about 1/3rd complete.

All other new attractions have been based on pixar films 5 to 10 years old at this point....Toy Story Mania? 2008 Toy Story? 1995

Walt Disney used Disneyland as a quick and easy way to promote new movies in the 1950s and early 60s.....but it pretty much ended with him....

Expect only third party deals and the smallest of child oriented rides over the next few years.....tweaking of parades and character meets as well.....
nothing new...cheap mode.....it's clear that's what we're looking at. post 9/11 playbook

Ian
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Well ... they are opening CARSLand in DCA. That movie is only a year or two old.

But yeah, outside of that I am always completely amazed at how behind the curve they are at exploiting their more current movie properties.

If you look at the absolutely wild success of films like Cars, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc., and Finding Nemo ... only Nemo has really been even the slightest bit exploited in the parks.

The rest have a grand total of two attractions associated with them and both of those are for Monsters Inc.

Very odd ... of course I think it's partially exacerbated by the fact that they followed trend and jumped on the Stitch bandwagon with both feet, completely and totally overexposing him in the parks (a la Millionaire).

Since he was the only even remotely marketable asset WDFA has created in the last decade plus, they tried to milk him for all he was worth ... and they succeeded.

What I'm getting at is, I think before they acquired Pixar, Stitch was all they had so they went full bore with him and ignored the other properties because of the uncertainty of the relationship. They may now feel like the iron is cold with those other films and it doesn't make sense to move on them today.

GothMickey
03-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Toy Story may have come out in 1995, but, there has been a sequel since than and a third coming out in a few years.

Ian, they went WAY over board with Stitch. I love the character, but, enough is enough with him.

GrumpyFan
03-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Well ... they are opening CARSLand in DCA. That movie is only a year or two old.

Close. It's almost been 3 years since its release. But, the attraction isn't slated to open until 2011, which will put it 5 years after the movie opened!

If you look at the absolutely wild success of films like Cars, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc., and Finding Nemo ... only Nemo has really been even the slightest bit exploited in the parks.

It's not WDFA, but the High School Musical has been bled to death (IMO).

And, while AIE is based on a currently popular TV show, it's an 8 year old show, whose ratings appear to be in steep decline, which could mean it's run has come to an end. And, could mean a short run for the attraction.

Ian
03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
I was talking about exploiting properties with true attractions (i.e. rides), not so much parades which is what they've done for HSM. I agree it's overexposed, but the kids still love it so ... expect to see it for awhile to come.

Agree on all other points.

lockedoutlogic
03-03-2009, 01:24 PM
And, while AIE is based on a currently popular TV show, it's an 8 year old show, whose ratings appear to be in steep decline, which could mean it's run has come to an end. And, could mean a short run for the attraction.

...one could only hope and make deals with underworld power brokers that this be the case:thedolls:

PrettyMinnie
03-05-2009, 11:58 AM

I think it would fit in well. Maybe not based of the movie completely but the restaurant would be a nice addition.

lockedoutlogic
03-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I actually think it is nothing short of a crime that they never encorporated a Blue Lagoon or Blue Bayou restaurant into Pirates.....or near it for that matter

One of the best experience i've ever had at any place with Disney in the title was lunch a few years back at the Blue Lagoon in DLP....

Completely unacceptible in my opinion....

BamaJenn
03-06-2009, 10:50 AM
My two cents:

1) Being set in New Orleans as previous folks had mentioned, I can't help but wonder if they did decide to do a restaurant like this, wouldn't it better fit in over in DL in New Orleans Square? Seems if there were any plans in the works, that'd be it's best fit.

2) I agree that this is most likely just another fan fueled rumor and that Disney tends to be a bit behind the curve when adding attractions of any sort related to their movies. In addition to things like Toy Story Mania etc., the fact that they are just now building a Stitch themed attraction is another example of this. They undoubtedly wait to see if it's fan base and enthusiasm will stand the test of time before investing in a change. Why build something new that will be undesired in a year after all right? Me... If anything... since there is a new princess in our midst, I'd see a potential for adding her to the character meals with princesses that already exist and that's about it.

Cinderelley
03-06-2009, 04:58 PM
My two cents:

1) Being set in New Orleans as previous folks had mentioned, I can't help but wonder if they did decide to do a restaurant like this, wouldn't it better fit in over in DL in New Orleans Square? Seems if there were any plans in the works, that'd be it's best fit.

New Orleans Square in DL already has Blue Bayou - my FAVORITE restaurant :thumbsup:.

grumpydude
03-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I think they could do more with the CARS theme, rides, restaurants, they have not exploited this like they should.

lockedoutlogic
03-08-2009, 11:24 PM
I think they could do more with the CARS theme, rides, restaurants, they have not exploited this like they should.

Cars is already 3 years past and wasn't in the class of the Pixar Uber-Blockbusters.....

I doubt we'll see a wave of Cars tie-ins at WDW

BamaJenn
03-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Cars is already 3 years past and wasn't in the class of the Pixar Uber-Blockbusters.....

I doubt we'll see a wave of Cars tie-ins at WDW
I dunno... I think based on the fact that there is constantly new Cars merchandise coming out, both in toy form and general like room decore etc., it's possible. It took a long time for the Nemo ride to become a reality after the movie so who knows. Plus, it was obviously enough of a blockbuster to warrant a sequel... I wouldn't be shocked if they did something to tie in with it's release next year. Don't know that there is an attraction on the horizon but anything is possible.

Wayne
03-09-2009, 09:04 PM
...one could only hope and make deals with underworld power brokers that this be the case:thedolls:

Agreed!