PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of joining a sorority out of college

J9
02-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Lately I've been thinking about how much I wish I had joined a sorority while I was in college. It was something I really wanted to do, and the timing was never right. (I always had the musical during rush - and never had an understudy).

Some sororities let you join as an alum, but you need to have people sponsor you. Problem is I really don't know anyone well enough to ask them to be a sponsor for me.

So - has anyone ever joined a sorority as an alum? Given my situation, is it worth even attempting?

I'm just curious as this was the one thing in college that I have always regretting and have never been able to really let go.

starryeyes21
03-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Can I speak as someone who joined a sorority while in college? I know you may regret not doing this while in college because you think that you missed out on some cool, sophisticated experience. Don't get me wrong, it was fun and I enjoyed it, but the time to do it was while I was in college. What will you have in common with a group of sorority girls now? They're all in the thick of going to college, studying, and partying. If you graduated wouldn't you be past all that?

I've never heard of being able to join a sorority after you have graduated and being an active member. Would you go to meetings? Be a part of Rush (hich was insane...by the way)? Is that really how you would like to spend your time?

Without really knowing the situation I would think you would be more like a member in name only. Not really an active member of the sorority. Once a sister graduated she moves on and is not really an active member. I mean they would pop in every now and again, but they weren't really a part of it any more.

I just think this wouldn't be something a college graduate would want to do. It wouldn't be the same experience anyway. I'm sorry that you missed out, but trying to do it now seems a little silly. If you don't know anyone well enough to sponsor you than that should tell you something. It would be different if you knew all these girls, were great friends, and hung out with them all the time. That, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be the case.

As a side note, I was a sorority girl who always wished she had the courage to sing in a musical or dance on stage. How's that for irony :funny: .

PirateLover
03-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I kind of agree with starry eyes. What about a sorority intrigues you so much? Is it just the idea of belonging to a group? Will you even have any time for this sorority? Maybe you could investigate some professional associations to join, which would help you with networking.

J9
03-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Well, with this particular sorority, I helped do the research and worked with the school to convince them we needed it. It took longer than anticipated, and by the time the initiation took place, I had graduated two years prior.

I am in love with the philanthropy, and whenever I do service activities, I like to do them as part of a large group. Moreover, I work at the school, so I would welcome the chance to assist the undergrad chapter in a professional and advisory capacity since I am on campus every single day.

I'm not looking to join it as an undergrad. I know the time for that has passed, and quite frankly I'm beyond all of that anyhow. However, I believe that greek life has value beyond undergrad, and there are a number of alumna events that are extremely worthwhile.

Because I was a sort of incidental part of bringing the organization to campus, I've always been interested in seeing how it had all turned out.