PDA

View Full Version : First night plan

armmh
02-28-2009, 09:24 AM
We are supposed to arrive at the airport at 2:45 (given all goes as planned). Renting a car, assuming we will be at resort around 5:00ish. Kids are 9 and 5. What are some ideas for that night? I was thinking going to All-Star Movies to look around and get in the spirit or maybe going to MK just for parade and fireworks. Dont want to be out too late so we can get up for EMH next morning. Any ideas on how to use time efficiently our first night?
Thanks!!

gerald72
02-28-2009, 10:07 AM
I say explore the resort. Kids will wanna check out the pools.

ibrowse17
02-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Before we got AP's, our first night was spent going to the monorail resorts, having a nice dinner somewhere, then catching the water parade. Since having AP'a we hit the MK as soon as we can and get a dog from Casey's. As you can see, we do just about what you are thinking, so have a great first night:thumbsup:

lovewalt
02-28-2009, 10:34 AM
You could go to Downtown Disney.The kids would probably love to browse in Once Upon a Toy or the Lego store.

DonaldsBFF
02-28-2009, 10:43 AM
When we go to WDW we always take the earliest flight down and usually arrive at the resort around 11 a.m. We always go in winter and stay at POR. What we do is check in, room is usually not ready, and then go to a quiet pool to relax and maybe take a swim, we always carry swim suits on the plane with us. After our room is ready we go and take a snooze. Our luggage gets there in a few hours and we get ready for the night. We go to the Riverside Mill for a counter service and then head to whichever park that has EMH that night. We enjoy doing the night EMH more than the morning with everything being lit up. Also it seems we always get to do more during the evening EMH. Anyway, my suggestion would be to relax for a few hours and take in the resort and then head to one of the parks later even if it is only for a couple of hours. The magic really starts when you walk through that first entrance to whichever park you go. Ok I am done now, it is making me sad to think about this subject knowing I won't be experiencing it for at least a few years.

spoiledraf
02-28-2009, 11:18 AM
I was wondering the same thing. What to do. There are 9 of us. 6 adults and 3 little ones. It's their first visit to the world and I wanted to start off early in the morning at MK. But now I'm thinking maybe hit it the first day. We are looking at the same time frame, about a 2 pm arrival at the airport and then ME. We're at the BC and were going to go to ESPN for a late lunch when we arrived. The other thought was to go over to DHS and hit Mickeys Clubhouse, the kids favorite. It would be closer and we could just walk. Maybe a late dinner when we get back at Cape May and hit MK in the morning. It will be early majic hours, something I was hoping to avoid the first day because of the added crowds and my group is not likely to be early risers. Anyway, the first day is up in the air and my goal is not to over plan this year. We'll see!

Luv Eeyore
02-28-2009, 11:56 AM
spoiledraf - your plan sounds great! I know from experience that taking it easy on the day of arrival is best with little ones, and how great for their first experience to be Mickey's Clubhouse. Since you are staying at the BC, taking the kids to Stormalong Bay (the sandy shallow water part) is a good idea, too. The BC is our home resort and we typically do spend the first day around the pool and the Boardwalk.

the other micki
02-28-2009, 03:12 PM
We are planning to hit MK the first day, but we'll be getting there earlier than y'all and we don't do early EMH. I think a good idea would be to make a dinner ADR at the T-Rex Cafe in Downtown Disney and then spend a while looking around. Either that or just hang out at the pool and/or arcade at your resort.

What is Mickey's Clubhouse?

bouncer
02-28-2009, 04:45 PM
we have a 5 pm reservation to see Hoop De Doo. I didn't want to start our park tickets for a half day. That should give us enough time to settle in for a little while and head over to Fort Wilderness for our reservation. I've never been to HDD but have heard that it's fun. Other options similar to this would be the Luau or Mickey's Backyard BBQ depending on your arrival day. Good luck with your decision.:mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
02-28-2009, 04:47 PM
It's a no-brainer, cause we're old:blush:

1. Check in

2. Unpack

3. Have dinner

4. Go to bed

alaMode
02-28-2009, 06:53 PM
We'll probably check-in around 4pm. After that, we'll either explore the new resort and have fun at the pool, or go to MK. We're going to let DS decide.

Tess
poly 07
poly 08
pop 09

cheeky monkey
02-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Our timetable for our first day is much the same as yours and my kids are 3 and 7. Orginally we had planned to explore the resort, maybe swim, maybe go to DTD etc-perfect way to start our trip. Turned out I got a dinner ressie for CRT that first night at 7:00 so our plans changed to go to the MK, eat and enjoy the evening parade. Now I think that's the perfect way to start our trip.

My motto this vacation is, "be flexible and let the kids take the lead!"

scoot241
02-28-2009, 09:46 PM
My motto for this Sept. is also to be flexible; however, I'm still planning to put some structure around it.

For the first evening, I expect to be at the hotel around 3:00. We can spend a couple of hours there, then take a bus to MK, hop on the monorail to Poly and have a nice dinner at 'Ohana. I then hope to get back to MK for Wishes.

I'm working without a schedule for Sept. right now though, so all of that is subject to change.

epceddie
03-01-2009, 12:58 AM
We love to have dinner our first night at Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary Resort. You can take photos with Mickie, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy and Donald Duck.

That always puts us in a great mood and then we take a ride on the monorail loop for a quick look at the MK all lit up.

spoiledraf
03-01-2009, 08:52 AM
It's a no-brainer, cause we're old:blush:

1. Check in

2. Unpack

3. Have dinner

4. Go to bed

Been there - Done that!:D

Yvette
03-01-2009, 10:04 AM
We always do the first half day at MK. Since our daughter grew up in California she NEEDS some Mickey Love :mickey: prior to anything else.

Since we know we have time to return another day we can really wander around that first evening just soaking up the atmosphere.

Group Hug everyone!!! :grouphug:

crazygoalie39
03-01-2009, 10:59 AM
We usually get to our resort around 4 or 5. We end up getting to the park around 6 or 7. We get dinner at the Plaza and then maybe go on POTC and a few rides that don't have any lines. Then we watch Wishes and Spectromagic!! After that we head back to our resort to get some sleep and get ready for our first full day of Disney action (usually AK). :mickey:

tinksmom02
03-01-2009, 09:56 PM
We don't have a traditional first day routine. We've done MGM on the first (pre-TSM), and I think we've done DTD, too. Past couple trips have been arrive, unpack, head to MK, then Chef Mickey's for dinner, and maybe back to MK if they have EMH.

chick20679
03-02-2009, 11:47 PM
:twocents:

My vote is for hoop-dee-doo (or luau) and then watching the electric water pageant.

Gets you in the 'spirit' but doesn't waste a day on your ticket.

:mickey:

tjstrike
03-03-2009, 03:50 AM
Explore your resort a little, maybe hit the pool

Head to DTD for dinner, do a little shopping

Go to MK and do a few rides and catch some fireworks

Take your time, don't burn out on your 1st day.

Nini5055
03-03-2009, 11:31 AM
I think it really depends on which resort hotel you are staying at and when you are arriving.

When we stayed at POP last year, we arrived very late so we grabbed a bite to eat in the food court and then I took dd for a swim. My dad was with us and he was in a wheelchair for the first night until we received the scooter in the morning.

This year we are staying at the GF (me, Mom and DD7) and arriving at 2pm. I think we will take monorail over to the MK and grab a bite to eat ride a couple of rides and then go back check-in (maybe swim) and get ready for 7:20pm diner at GF.

You should do what feels best for you and your group. When I was with extended family (over 15 of us) for a Grand Gathering, we relaxed at the pool after checking in...it was the easier thing to do with all the ages of kids we had with us.

armmh
03-03-2009, 08:12 PM
WOW there are so many great ideas. I think I will plan a couple of things depending on if we get in "on time" or not--you never can predict. Thanks to all you wonderful people for all the wonderful ideas!:mickey:

PrettyMinnie
03-03-2009, 08:55 PM
I know people have said this, but DTD is always good for the first day. The kids will be anxious to enjoy the Florida weather and go for a swim. You can check out some shops. If you are up to it, do MK for the fireworks to really get your fmaily in the Disney spirit! :mickey:

dtootsie42
03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
We usually go and explore downtown Disney....it helps us unwind from our trip and because we used to take the red-eye from Seattle to Orlando we would arrive around 9 check-in then head to Fultons for lunch.

If we can't take the red eye and get in late we unwind at the resort, enjoy dinner, play at the pools...go to bed early. That way we are not so tired on our first full day having fun at the parks.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge