PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?

scrapbookmom5174
02-27-2009, 04:42 PM
First trip to WDW in 8/09 and I am not sure where to start.

I do have reservations off-site (about 2 miles from WDW). We haven't booked airline tickets yet or a rental car (we are hoping airline tix will go down).

What else should I be doing? Since this is our first trip for all five of us DD(10), DS(10), and DD(7) I really want it to be a fantastic trip. I know we want to BBB for the girls and have a character breakfast at Chef Mickeys. We also want to have dinner at Ohannas.

What else should I be planning or is it just a sit and wait sort of thing now?

Thanks,
Clea

BMan62
02-27-2009, 05:00 PM
To make their first trip more special, you really should give some thought about staying onsite. With the 7 for 4 deal, you might be able to offset some of the 'savings' from staying offsite. Also, you would not need a car, so you could save that expense. Since you do not have your location listed, I'm not sure if Southwest serves your area, but they will probably have the best prices for airfare.

Also, look into using Magical Journeys for your booking - you might find that they can save you quite a bit over someplace offsite. Believe me, they bend over backward to make your trip as magical as possible!

T-Belle
02-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Whenever I take someone to wdw that has never been or it's been years since their last visit, I try to educate them as much as possible about all Disney has to offer. There is just no way to do and see all in one trip, unless your there for weeks!! I either give them a travel guide(my fav is the Unofficial Guide to WDW) that has a breakdown of each park and the rides and attractions in that park. This can also be a lot of fun especially with your children. That way each family member can decide which ride/attraction they HAVE to do. Or just gather around the computer and cruise Intercot with the family. Believe me you can spend hours exploring all the parks, restaurants and much more right here! I'm a bit OCD when it comes to planning trips. I just can't fly by the seat of my pants-there is just SO much to do, I'm afraid I'll miss something really special.

Also, I agree with previous poster. You should reconsider staying onsite. There are so many extra perks. I also agree about Magical Journey's. They are WONDERFUL and best yet, free!!!!!!!

scrapbookmom5174
02-27-2009, 06:12 PM
We did consider staying on-site, but the price with the 5 of us is out of our reach, since we can't stay at any of the value resorts (There is the family suite at All-Star Music, but DH really needs his own space. He gets up early in the AM and reads and then also stays up reading pretty late at night. I am used to it, but it is very hard for the kiddos to deal with it when we are all in the same room - it seems no one gets much rest when we are all cramped into one room). We are booked at Windsor Hills in a 3 bedroom condo.

GoofyforFun
02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
If your going to eat in the parks or not?
Need to make ADR for ressie for favorite places to eat.
Think about which parks and what days.
Snacks to take along for trips. With rental house you can save money with that option. Don't forget the ponchos for the quick storms. Also search sites for info. Just keep asking questions. Have Fun.:thumbsup:

scrapbookmom5174
02-27-2009, 06:51 PM
We are going to eat breakfast at the condo and plan to eat other meals at the WDW. We do have Chef Mickey's planned as well as Ohannas. I am just not sure what else.:mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
02-27-2009, 07:32 PM
You didn't mention how long you're staying, but you really need two days at MK, two days at Epcot, and a day each at the Studio's and AK. If your trip is shorter, check the Birnbaums, hi-light the must do's, and plan your days based on which day is lightest, (crowd wise) and longest at each park.
Decide where you want to eat, and mark the 180 "date" on your calander.
Remember how hot it is in Florida, and plan for a break somewhere, or do the water parks.
That said, you REALLY can't map your first trip like you would your fifth. Just remember that if you miss something, you have a reason to come back.
Have fun, and write us a report.!:mickey:

scrapbookmom5174
02-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Marilyn,
We are going to be staying for 10 days and plan 6 or 7 days at the WDW. I've been to DL at least 10 times and know MK will be so much better (at least that is what I've heard). You mentioned 180 days - was that for ADR?

Thanks for you help,
Clea:mickey:

Fairy Grandmother
02-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I know this is not a very popular thing to say on this board, but we LOVE staying off site. One reason is because, like you, there are five of us. We stayed in a three bedroom condo at Windsor Hills in January and have already booked to stay there again for our trip in December '09. Great location and price!:thumbsup:

One thing I would recommend is when you are planning your park days always try to avoid going the park that has extra magic hours (morning or evening). As it says on the touring plan website, the park with extra magic hours is always going to be more crowded for the entire day.

Have fun planning!:mickey:

brian2000boston
02-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Marilyn,
We are going to be staying for 10 days and plan 6 or 7 days at the WDW. I've been to DL at least 10 times and know MK will be so much better (at least that is what I've heard). You mentioned 180 days - was that for ADR?

Thanks for you help,
Clea:mickey:

Yeah it use to be 180 days for dining reservations but now it is 90 days. I am thinking that is what was meant.

What kind of food does everyone like to eat?

Definately check out some of the night time firwework shows including illuminations in Epcot and fantasmic at Hollywood Studios.

As for airfaire, you should take a serious look right now as it is at lows we havent seen in some time.

scrapbookmom5174
02-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Every family has a picky one and ours is no exception, but we try hard to not let her rule our decision. The only type of food we tend to stay away from is Chinese (DS and DH love it, so they tend to sneak off and splurge somethimes.)

We live in a tiny town in Colorado where there is very little choices for eating out, so we are mainly just looking for some places that have a great atmosphere and the kids will love eating there. :waycool:

Clea

Tick-Tock
02-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Are you going to be flying out of DIA (Denver)? Then definitely check Southwest. We always fly them to Orlando because of the prices. If you're worried about their open seating, just be sure to check in online exactly 24 hours in advance of your flight and your family will be able to sit together no problem.

Do make your Chef Mickey's and Ohana's reservations on the first day you can. Those fill up fast.

As for restaurants (and I'm thinking atmosphere here and not food quality) -

Studios has the Sci-Fi cafe (sit in a car and watch sci-fi movie trailers from the 50s) & the Prime Time Cafe (like you're eating at mom's in the 50s, including scolding and "punishment" (like withholding dessert for compliance) from the waiter for manners infractions - kids love to see mom and dad get scolded)

Epcot has Coral Reef, which sits alongside the large fish tank.

Check out Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge.

And Rainforest Cafe (Animal Kingdom and DTD) and the new T-Rex (DTD).

BIGDOG
02-28-2009, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE= but DH really needs his own space. He gets up early in the AM and reads and then also stays up reading pretty late at night. I am used to it, but it is very hard for the kiddos to deal with it when we are all in the same room .[/QUOTE]
I see your DH has not seen the "NO READING OR WORK OF ANY KIND YOUR VACATION RULE " This is a very important part of a good vacation at WDW

scrapbookmom5174
03-01-2009, 12:22 AM
We live in SE Colorado and are equally close to CO Spgs, Denver, and Amarillo, TX. So far it is cheaper to fly SW out of Denver. I keep hoping a DING will come up for a cheaper flight, but I am thinking $119 each way will probably be the lowest. Thanks for the dining ideas. They sound great:thumbsup:

dixielandings
03-01-2009, 01:14 PM
My only recommendation is get there as early as you possibly can each day. Eating breakfast in-house seems like a good idea but it can really delay your arrival, unless you're all really early risers. August is hot and crowded and the early-morning hours are some the best times to enjoy the Parks before everyone else gets there and the temp rises.

Some restaurant recs from a vet:

50's Prime Time
Cape May and 'Ohana for breakfast
Garden Grill
Mexico

All of these have great atmosphere and good food and accept ADRs. Be ready to call for those ADRs at the 90-day mark. Again, August is crowded.

GoofyforFun
03-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Every family has a picky one and ours is no exception, but we try hard to not let her rule our decision. The only type of food we tend to stay away from is Chinese (DS and DH love it, so they tend to sneak off and splurge somethimes.)

We live in a tiny town in Colorado where there is very little choices for eating out, so we are mainly just looking for some places that have a great atmosphere and the kids will love eating there. :waycool:

Clea

Do a search on here under dining.. Just ask what are peoples top choices for.... Family, taste, style .etc.. You will good choices to check out.

GoofyforFun
03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Our family loves CM for dinner. can even watch fire works if get the time slot for when fire works are going on.
Epoct our choice is Le Cellar Steak House
A must see is Fantasmic and they do have some restaurants to go along with a Dinner Packages.. But you don't need to do the dinner if on a budget:). Just see the show.
A good choice can be an early ressie at a park before it opens and get some prime early tie when park opens. Princess breakfast in Norway.
Crystal Palace in MK, etc.