PDA

View Full Version : The world we now live in.

dteed
02-27-2009, 03:23 PM
While having lunch in the land last week I noticed a security guard standing near an empty table. A few moments later someone else, possibly a supervisor came and spoke with him. As people left the area they were moving chairs so nobody would sit near where they were. Few minutes passed and in walks a person in a law enforcement uniform, he said a few words to them then left only to return with what I am assumming was a bomb sniffing dog. The dog made his rounds then they put the dog right on the bag. After he had no reaction to it they opened it replaced the chairs and left as if nothing happened. Anyone else see anything like this?

SBETigg
02-27-2009, 03:58 PM
No, haven't seen it, but I guess they have a protocol to follow if someone leaves a bag behind. Yes, it is unfortunately the world we live in. But I think if they'd been truly concerned, they would have actually evacuated the building.

DizneyRox
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Welcome to post 9/11!!!! It's a wonderful world!

I have not seen this, but it's been a while since I've seen anyone leave anything behind.

goofyfan4466
02-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Maybe It Was A Training Exercise. So Not To Worry.i'm Sure If There Was A Real Threat They Would Have Evacuated The Area.

WDWdriver
02-27-2009, 06:15 PM
It happens all the time. Guests leave a backpack somewhere while they go on a ride, a CM notices and notifies Security. The bag or whatever will be checked as quietly and unobtrusively as possible by an explosives sniffing dog.

The dogs and their handlers are always nearby. They are from the Orange County Sheriff's Department, not Disney Security.

WishesFan13
02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
My family and i just got back last night from a week in wdw. We didn't see anything as specific as you did but we did see more bomb sniffing dogs and cops then normal. We were there in 2002 and security was more heightened this last week. On monday we went to DHS and when we got off the bus the bag check line was longer than i have ever seen. our security guard was much more careful then normal and after i got through and was waiting for everyone else i realized all the guards were really taking their time. They were having people open camera cases and unzipping every pocket in their bags. My mil had to completely empty her back so the guard could see the bottom of it. i don't know if it had to do with the bag your saw but we noticed the difference, even from before the weekend to after it.

Eeyore Phan
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
It's good to see they aren't becoming complacent though. Good for Disney.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-01-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm glad they are being careful, but I don't think I would have stuck around to watch the dog check out the package!

#1donaldfan
03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I love it....please, please, please make me wait longer and make sure those in front of me are not toting a weapon of some sort !!! I am so happy they take the time to check bags and if someone "truly" gets upset by that, then they need to re-think some things that's happened in our recent past to remind them.....:thumbsup:

Imagineer1981
03-02-2009, 03:13 PM
its sad to think we have to do that, but as the post says, its the world we now live in. I am just glad Disney is being consistant and careful

Jenemmy
03-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Years ago, I worked at a local network affiliate TV station. I was at a computer in a communal hallway one afternoon when I overheard my boss speaking to the station manager about a bomb threat that had been called in. They were discussing whether or not they should evacuate the building. They had called police who were coming to check things out -- so they decided to just let it lie until the dogs made their rounds. This was waaaay before 9/11 -- it would probably be taken much more seriously these days.

Dulcee
03-02-2009, 04:23 PM
About three years ago while trying to leave EPCOT we ran into a similar problem. We boarded a monorail to head back to the poly and after sitting in the monorail were asked over the loud speaker to disembark and make our way to the buses for further transportation. In speaking to security guards on our way back down we were told the monorail was being shut down temporarily due to a possible security problem. We were all rather saddened by such an event making its way all the way to the most magical place on earth...

AXOAlum
03-02-2009, 07:15 PM
We were leaving Pop Century in Sept and came across a suitcase that had fallen off a cart (it was laying exactly how one would lay if it had fallen off the back of a cart) - my mom thought nothing of it, picked it up and sat it on a lawn chair. When we passed a maintenance guy, she casually mentioned it. As we came back through (we were making multiple trips to the car), the entire area was blocked off and security was swarming the place. I told mom she better behave or I'd tell them to check for her prints on the bag :D

buzznwoodysmom
03-02-2009, 07:30 PM
A few years ago my mom left a bag beside our stroller. The stroller got moved, and the bag left behind. It took us forever to locate the bag. We were finally told that it had been removed incase it was a bomb or something "planted" on purpose.

DawsonAR
03-03-2009, 12:29 PM
We witnessed WDW security in action last November. I was amazed at how quickly they respond and how aware they are of what is going on in the parks at all times. What we witnessed was scary and caused concern, however, the response was outstanding.

dteed
03-03-2009, 02:50 PM
We witnessed WDW security in action last November. I was amazed at how quickly they respond and how aware they are of what is going on in the parks at all times. What we witnessed was scary and caused concern, however, the response was outstanding.

Might have to eloborate on that one.

nicjohn3
03-03-2009, 07:38 PM

Please--share--We were there last November!!

Mickey91
03-03-2009, 09:46 PM
I think they should have us pass through metal detectors. It is great to be so thorough with the bags but what about jackets and pant pockets! :confused:

It's like my son's high school. They carry a back pack all day to every class but they have to take their coats off as soon as they hit the door and they can't wear zip up hoodies!

fabfundisney
03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm glad they are being careful, but I don't think I would have stuck around to watch the dog check out the package!

My thoughts exactly!!!

yjgirl32
03-05-2009, 08:40 AM
I am very glad that Disney would take that precaution. Yes it stinks to wait in the longer lines, but after seeing 9/11- I will put up with it. Thanks Disney for caring.

dteed
03-09-2009, 02:49 PM
My thoughts exactly!!!

It was not the most care free lunch I ever had, they were very careful not to disturb the package and if the dog foound something I am sure they would have evacuated the building and who knows what else.

GrumpyFan
03-09-2009, 03:06 PM
It's a shame that the outside world has to invade the fantasy inside of Walt Disney World. But, I'm glad to hear that Disney security treats every abandoned bag in this manner.

McGoofy
03-11-2009, 03:58 PM
We saw the exact same scenario that the OP described when we were at WDW a couple of trips ago. The only difference is that we were walking through Tomorrowland, and the dog was brought out to sniff a bag that was in the stroller area near the TTA. We didn't stick around to see what was going on as it was just a little uneasy to watch. We were hoping it was drugs the dog was sniffing for rather than a bomb.

linedropper
03-12-2009, 08:26 AM
My brother is a It manager and he was out to lunch with a security company and the security guy was saying that they believe DW is a prime target for terrorism. But honestly. I am taking the chance, not changing my plans for some scare tactics like this!

Steve:mickey:

Its in gods hands anyway

DawsonAR
03-12-2009, 02:41 PM

I have given this a lot of thought. What we witnessed was so sensitive that I'm not comfortable discussing it. However, I'm very comfortable that Disney has great security and is very aware of their risks.

dteed
03-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I have given this a lot of thought. What we witnessed was so sensitive that I'm not comfortable discussing it. However, I'm very comfortable that Disney has great security and is very aware of their risks.

If it was so bad that you don't want to talk about it I probably don't want to know about it so we will leave it at that.

magicofdisney
03-13-2009, 12:49 AM
In my opinion, bag checks are a joke. They waste our time because they do nothing for us. Anyone who wants to bring in a weapon isn't going to store it in their bag and then walk through bag check. It's all show if you ask me.

I think I've been through every variation of a bag check, from a simple feel over to opening every compartment of every zippable object in my possession. I appreciate the security, in general, but bag check is pointless.

EDITED: These were my thoughts until I read this post. Gives me food for thought. I guess I never really thought about "traditional" terrorism.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1847217&postcount=9

SandmanGStefani24
03-13-2009, 08:26 PM
as someone in the law enforcement field, i can say that for each action like you saw, there are several others that you don't. what you described to me sounded like a drill, and not necessarily a real event, otherwise a larger area would have been sectioned off. either way it's all part of keeping us all safe.

on an off note, i have seen an unruly guest removed from the park by several undercover officers/security guards. plain clothes officers outnumber uniformed ones at the parks big time. hey, whatever keeps us safe and happy!