PDA

View Full Version : Lets hope this doesn't catch on with Airlines.

caryrae
02-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Restroom ransom? Airline mulls toilet toll
Ireland’s low-cost carrier considers pay-to-use toilets, CEO admits

updated 2 hours, 41 minutes ago
Ryanair’s chief executive said Europe’s largest budget carrier might start charging passengers for using the toilet while flying, but his spokesman cautioned Michael O’Leary often just made things up at will.

“One thing we have looked at in the past and are looking at again is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door so that people might actually have to spend a pound ($1.43) to spend a penny in future,” O’Leary told BBC television.

He said this would not inconvenience passengers traveling without cash. “I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound.”

A spokesman said the airline had considered the fee as a possible source of extra revenue since passengers had the option of not using the toilet on board, but added that “maybe O’Leary was just taking the p—ss this morning.”

“Michael makes a lot of this stuff up as he goes along and while this has been discussed internally there are no immediate plans to introduce it,” Stephen McNamara said in a statement.

O’Leary has a reputation as a cost-cutter, expanding Ryanair by offering low headline fares and charging extra for items such as additional luggage.

Last week, Ryanair announced it was to shut all check-in desks at airports and have passengers check in online instead.

“We’re all about finding ways of raising discretionary revenue so we can keep lowering the cost of air travel,” he said.

Disney Doll
02-27-2009, 02:31 PM
I can tell you one thing for sure. If I had to pay extra for the toilet then I would expect it to be a lot cleaner than it usually is. :secret:

goofiecrazy
02-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Are they joking? THat is such a bunch of ****. Man they will start to tack a couple dollars on for anything now wont they?

vicster
02-27-2009, 03:55 PM
There are always Depends...LOL

murphy1
02-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Americans are not as classy or groomed as Europeans, they will pee in the aisle if they are on that flight, that is just crazy on a plane! We're hoping to go over there in a couple years, guess I'll request the free toilet plane.

caryrae
02-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Wonder if you could upgrade your ticket to include unlimited bathroom use (for an extra fee of course) or maybe do like a fast pass so you can go to the front of the line to the bathroom.

NotaGeek
02-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Ryanair has really really cheap airfare ... I have flown on them from London to Spain for 18 pounds sterling round trip ... that's about $35 or so ... including tax. I would happily pay .50 to use the bathroom if I could get from Spokane to Disneyland for less than $100. I just paid almost $300 for that flight!

On Ryanair the seats don't recline and even a coffee costs money ... they have a smart way to do business. Short cheap flights, but any extras need to be paid for.

garymacd
02-27-2009, 10:39 PM
There are always Depends...LOL

I was thinking more along the lines of using the air sickness bag...

:ack:

Aggie97
02-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Ryanair has really really cheap airfare ... I have flown on them from London to Spain for 18 pounds sterling round trip ... that's about $35 or so ... including tax. I would happily pay .50 to use the bathroom if I could get from Spokane to Disneyland for less than $100. I just paid almost $300 for that flight!

On Ryanair the seats don't recline and even a coffee costs money ... they have a smart way to do business. Short cheap flights, but any extras need to be paid for.

I'm with you on this. I flew Ryanair from Frankfurt to Rome (and back) for about that same price. Yes, it was no-frills flying, but at that price, I was happy with it!

d_m_n_n
02-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Sorry, but airlines should pay ME for using their facilities! :sick: :blush: I'm shuddering at thinking of the cleanliness right now!!!

jillluvsdisney
02-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Like anyone really WANTS to use an airplane bathroom. I'm flying to Ireland in two weeks on Aer Lingus. THANK GOD. It's going to be a 6 hour flight and I hope I can hold it.:blush:

sisterdisco
02-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Doesn't anyone remember back in the 70's when you had to put a quarter or dime in the stall door in the airport bathroom before you could use the toilet?

murphy1
02-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Jill, please do a trip report and pics! I can't wait to hear about your trip!

jillluvsdisney
03-02-2009, 07:29 PM
I will definately do a trip report and I'll try to get some pictures up also.

Ed
03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to the expression "Pay as you go."

:D