PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain

Belster
02-26-2009, 11:22 PM
I am very sad that Space Mountain is going to be closed during my next trip to the world...but with all of that said what exactly are they doing to the ride?

scoot241
02-27-2009, 09:15 AM
The rumors have been all over the place about what exactly is being done to Space Mountain. Some say the entire track is being replaced with new track in the same configuration, while others say parts of the track are being replaced.

This thread is full of discussion about the Space Mountain refurb:
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=147953

disneymama09
03-01-2009, 12:15 AM
I am sad too, We are going End of June, Space Mountain is one of my Favorites!

Fortune Red
03-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I hope they go for the full blown, Disneyland-style makeover (new track, new sound, new special effects). DL's new Space Mountain is fantastic.

GoofyGirl18
03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Not sure, but we are cursed with Space Mountain refurbishments! Every time we go, it's closed!

MistressGracey999
03-03-2009, 07:47 PM
I heard that WDW is getting a new track configuration, new two-aside rockets, and a general refreshening of the scenery. Supposedly, this new SM will be smooooth like DL's, not so vibrate-y.:thumbsup:

Speedy1998
03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
From What I have read they are completely replacing the track and some of the structure. It is supposed to be rebuilt in the same configuration though.

Remember the ride is over 30 years old. I imagine just replacing the track will make it much smoother.

Love of Disney
03-03-2009, 08:52 PM
I just found out too that it will be closed for our May trip and I am quite sad. :( On the bright side, for my next trip I will have a new ride experience. I guess the ride is getting old and everything needs some tender love and care.
:cool:

PrettyMinnie
03-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I hope they do something to make missing out on our next trip worth it!

beksy
03-03-2009, 09:30 PM
I heard that WDW is getting a new track configuration, new two-aside rockets, and a general refreshening of the scenery. Supposedly, this new SM will be smooooth like DL's, not so vibrate-y.:thumbsup:

I really, really hope that they do end up at least changing the seats. As it is right now, this is the only ride at WDW that I absolutely cannot do because of my physical disabilities and it was one of my favorites years ago. I would love for new seats that let me ride again!

battle beast
03-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Whatever they do, it'll be great, and well worth the time closed! :thumbsup:

GoofyGirl18
03-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Maybe when they rip the ride apart, they'll find my husband's lost cell phone!

:)

TennesseeTink
03-04-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm hoping that whatever they do will cause the ride to not be broken so much. It seems like half the time it's not even working.

What I'm most sad about is the closing of the Transit Authority. :cry:We've been known to ride this one several times in a row for a nice relaxing break.

SuzieBell
03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Not sure, but we are cursed with Space Mountain refurbishments! Every time we go, it's closed!

You must go when we go:D 8 days at the park last year and got to ride it once! Hope they keep the floating chocolate chip cookie!:thumbsup:

MistressGracey999
03-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Closing the TTA, too? Why?? Can't they just cover up the part where you see inside SM?? Seems silly to close down both! I love TTA, it's great for weary feet, and unlike a bench, the kids still feel like they're "doing something"..:D

One time, we were riding TTA and SM had broken down and they had the lights on in there. It looked so.....utilitarian. Very un-Disney!

Polynesian Dweller
03-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Closing the TTA, too? Why?? Can't they just cover up the part where you see inside SM?? Seems silly to close down both!
Probably has to do with health and safety laws. That will be a construction zone and this sounds like a fairly major job. I'm sure if they could just cover it they would.

I too would like to see the side by side seating that they have at DL but I think I read somewhere that the WDW building isn't big enough. Hope that isn't true!

scoot241
03-04-2009, 11:05 PM
I too would like to see the side by side seating that they have at DL but I think I read somewhere that the WDW building isn't big enough. Hope that isn't true!

I'm pretty sure the WDW building is bigger than DL's. DL only has one track, while WDW fits two. Whether or not WDW can fit two tracks with side-by-side seating may be a different story.

battle beast
03-05-2009, 12:45 PM
It's a favorite to everyone, but it's for the best. :thumbsup:

4ubie1
03-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I too have heard that they are totally replacing the track. Last time I rode, it was rough enough to give me a back ache. :( I had not heard however that they were thinking of updating the queue area and other effects. That would be nice too but i sortof like the old "futuristic" feel the ride has. It gives it a classic feel like many of the old space movies. Reminds me of what Walt had in mind when he thought of Tomorrowland. :blush:

Polynesian Dweller
03-05-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm pretty sure the WDW building is bigger than DL's. DL only has one track, while WDW fits two. Whether or not WDW can fit two tracks with side-by-side seating may be a different story.

Ah, one track at DL, that would make sense. I thought the last time we were at DLR that its building might be smaller. But, yes, side by side my not work even in a bigger building but I sure hope it does because the side by side seems a lot better.

Belster
03-05-2009, 11:19 PM
The TTA will be open before SM. I saw this somewhere on this site.

Insanity Clause
03-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Ah man, I just read about the refurbishment and do you know they are starting this the day before we get there...I was looking to forward to riding Space Mountain, it was one of the things I couldn't go on last time we went in 2001 because I was pregnant with my son. I made myself a promise that I would ride everything, even the things I am afraid of (i.e. Rockn Rollercoaster and Expedition Everest)

Well, I guess I have an excuse to come back again.

irish1967
03-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Remember the ride is over 30 years old. I imagine just replacing the track will make it much smoother.

Holy Guacamole - I just had a flashback (yes, I am old enough to have those!) I vividly remember my first time on SM - I must have been 10/11 years old and the last thing I heard before we "blasted off" was my cousin Joe say "it was nice knowing you!"

This is why we choose to go for a few days every year. We may have to miss it this summer, but it will be back up when we go next summer:mickey:

Kisobel
03-10-2009, 02:43 AM
we were just there in jan. space was down every other time we went to ride. it definately needs to be refurbed. also i would like a little smoother ride. anyone ever been stuck in the very last seat. very rough.

kate

Imagineer1981
03-10-2009, 11:43 AM
we were just there in jan. space was down every other time we went to ride. it definately needs to be refurbed. also i would like a little smoother ride. anyone ever been stuck in the very last seat. very rough.

kate

Being a former CM there, Space is outdated in technology more then anything. Any time there is a stop in the attraction, generally a ride cascade stop, where either someone was too slow getting in or out and the cars all have to be stopped including the ones in "space" because they have no where to go, or because a sensor thought one train was catching up to another one. Either way, the CMs have to manually go out onto the track which is an insane maze and reset 15 different brakes on track and also restart and cycle the computer systems. Its not terrible, but each time could be 30 minutes, and if a brake miss fires or any other error, you have to wait for maintance to show up, and they are known for taking their time. The actual track itself is good order, some parts are worn, but I am sure replacing a few spots will help. I would hope its an overall computer upgrade like RnR where the track can be reset quickly and is automated.

SoaringEpcot
03-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I would definitely like to see it redone like the one in DLR. We were there this past August and it is really great. It is my new favorite of any park.