PDA

View Full Version : traveling with a 5 yr old

Tinkgirl28
02-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Hey I might be going with my best friend and her kids to Disneyworld in August!! I have been there before so i know my way around and how everything works. The question i need help with is How can you make Disneyworld fun for a 5 yr old whose a drama queen when it comes to walking? She will probably walk for a little bit but then she will want you to carry her afterwards. Her mom doesnt really want to bring any strollers because the 5 yr old is to big for them anyway. So if anyone has some ideas that would be great.:cloud9:

JoF
02-26-2009, 07:22 AM
If I was you , I would definitely take or rent a stroller - it will make your life far easier in the long run.:thumbsup:
I took my niece aged five (we actually used a stroller for holidays until she was six) and it was a godsend. She was exactly the same when it came to walking and a complete drama queen - although now aged eight it isn't a problem!
From my experience, the parks never pose any problems for strollers and it beats having a child wanting to be carried every 5 mins in the heat.
Whatever you decide though, have a great trip. My next trip is in October and I can't wait!

Andy_2002
02-26-2009, 08:13 AM
I have taken 2, five year olds to Disney and never needed a stroller but it all depends on how much walking they do normally. Both of these were used to walking so all we needed was the occasional sit down at meal times to recharge. They did tend to fall asleep on the resort bus back from the parks and need carrying back to the room though.

My 2 year old has walked up some big hills (small mountains) in the English Lake district refusing any help, but still wants to be picked up when she gets tired walking around the local shopping mall.

I tend to use bribes to keep the kids going, "Just walk down here and go on this ride, then we can get ice cream". Ice cream and candy cures most aches and pains.

No way you can carry a 5 year old any distance so if she isn't used to walking for any distance you are probably safer taking or hiring a stroller. Some of the kids in strollers in Disney look about 10 to me so you won't be alone.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-26-2009, 08:36 AM
I would take or rent a stroller! Our first trip was when DD was 6, and she was a pretty good walker, but we rented a stroller and it was wonderful!

It was so easy to have the stroller for her whenever she needed it (and when she didn't, we used it to carry everything). I wouldn't have gone without it.

As you know, Disney is huge! I'd hate for the trip to be ruined due to a tired child :walk:

Tinkerkel
02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Our DD was just 4 when we took her to WDW for the 1st time & we rented a stroller. We didn't dare call it a stroller, we called it a "kid cart" :secret: & she was completely fine with riding in it. We rented one for every trip until she was 8.

wire0monkey
02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Get a stroller.

A five year old is too big for a stroller under most circumstances, but not at WDW. The parks are huge and little kids are ready to walk the whole thing yet. It's just too much walking. You're going to end up fighting with her the entire time, unless you rent a stroller or take one. Since the point is to have fun, it's worth it to get a stroller to avoid fighting with the kid.

Strollers are also useful places to store jackets, umbrellas, and other stuff.

If you can't get a stroller, you should probably do some training with her before Disney. We take our kids for walks of a mile or more 1-3 times a week for about six weeks before a Disney trip. We make sure that they're in shape for all that walking.

Stitchahula
02-26-2009, 02:26 PM
My DS age 5 still uses a stroller. He has a rare form of anemia so he gets tired easily. I would say either rent or bring a stroller. If you need it you have it. Better to have and not need it than to stand there wishing you had one.